Giro 2014 - Stage 15: Montecampione MTF **Spoilers**

Macaloon
Macaloon Posts: 5,545
edited June 2014 in Pro race
tumblr_n634eeV6HJ1ropreyo1_1280.jpg

2ntczus.png

Enthralling race. Think and hope Rigo is saving energy, not chasing 10s of seconds in last km. They'll need to attack from distance.
...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.

Comments

• deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Macaloon wrote:
    Enthralling race. Think and hope Rigo is saving energy, not chasing 10s of seconds in last km. They'll need to attack from distance.
    Who Evans. ? :lol:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    With Rigo showing a little weakness, you've got to imagine Pozzo and Quintana are going to make it fast fast fast. I'd expect them to want the bonus seconds too.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    You have to think Quintana is going to be very attacking today. Uran obviously has some vulnerability in the mountains and with a rest day tomorrow Quintana can afford to push it.

The pace into the climb is going to be fierce.
  • Turfle
    The break is: Bouet, Barbin, Rodriguez, Ratto, Torres, Le Bon, Cardoso, Cunego, Hansen, Paolini, Geschke & Felline

7 minute advantage.

Cunego was only 10 mins down on GC, so break is doomed I'd say.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,474
    Odd stage profile, looks a bit like a Ventoux stage in the Tour with that flat profile and big climb at the end.
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    I think OPQS need to unleash Poels. In my view he is a better climber than Uran. With so much climbing left OPQS would be foolish to throw all their eggs in to the Uran basket. Ryder said he will keep attacking. Cadel said he could not go with Quintana yesterday. What a race :lol: brilliant.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Makes it easier to tweet though :D

Valdengo ____________/ Montecampione MTF

More chance of some early attacks since there is a rest day tomorrow?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Gap for the break 7'35''. 95 km to go
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,240
    Bit disappointed by Quintana yesterday... could have done a few turns to get more seconds... might be a great climber, but he seems to lack guts... I prefer riders with less talent but more balls.. look at Pirazzi!!!!
    left the forum March 2023
  • Turfle
    I think OPQS need to unleash Poels. In my view he is a better climber than Uran. With so much climbing left OPQS would be foolish to throw all their eggs in to the Uran basket. Ryder said he will keep attacking. Cadel said he could not go with Quintana yesterday. What a race :lol: brilliant.

That would be insane. Poels is 4 minutes down on Uran.

Even if he is a better climber than Uran (he isn't), he's also 3 and half minutes down on Evans, 2 minutes down on Majka, 90 seconds down on Pozzovivo, and 40 seconds down on Quintana
  • Turfle
    off topic, but the older Henao is due back in Europe tomorrow and still plans to ride the Tour de France.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Mitchell Docker out with the same virus that has affected others in the team. Ulrika down to 3 riders.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Turfle wrote:
    The break is: Bouet, Barbin, Rodriguez, Ratto, Torres, Le Bon, Cardoso, Cunego, Hansen, Paolini, Geschke & Felline

7 minute advantage.

Cunego was only 10 mins down on GC, so break is doomed I'd say.
    Happy to see Johan Le Bon stretching his legs in the break.

Bouet there as a potential stepping stone for Pozzo later on.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • jamie1012
    jamie1012 Posts: 171
    Are they not switching from the tennis on Eurosport?
  • blazing_saddles
    First day of Rolland Garros and it's going to play havoc with Eurosport's live coverage.
    Girlie tennis match just starting a 2nd set, so eons of that before any cycling.
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    Turfle wrote:

That would be insane. Poels is 4 minutes down on Uran.

Even if he is a better climber than Uran (he isn't), he's also 3 and half minutes down on Evans, 2 minutes down on Majka, 90 seconds down on Pozzovivo, and 40 seconds down on Quintana

There is a lot of climbing left and looking at yesterdays stage Uran and Evans will get reeled in. Poels can climb with the likes Quintana and co. He can gain a lot of time. Uran looks like he will be going backwards from now on. I would let Poels off the leash and let the others look after Uran. It would be a waste for him to look after Uran when he can go himself. I will be amazed if Uran is in pink at the end of today.
  • jamie1012
    First day of Rolland Garros and it's going to play havoc with Eurosport's live coverage.
    Girlie tennis match just starting a 2nd set, so eons of that before any cycling.
    That's what Eurosport 2 is for :cry:
  • blazing_saddles
    LOL.
    My Sky epg record just cancelled out.
    Sad times ahead for folks without Rai or Sporza.....

The former is just about to go live.
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    Bit disappointed by Quintana yesterday... could have done a few turns to get more seconds... might be a great climber, but he seems to lack guts... I prefer riders with less talent but more balls.. look at Pirazzi!!!!

I'm not sure, he tried to pressure from distance in the tour last year. 10k or whatever on Ventoux? I think he'd have gone for more yesterday if he wasn't just getting over his illness. We'll see what the rest of the week holds in store.
  • Turfle
    Commentary-less pictures are available on Eurosport Player
  • blazing_saddles
    Sporza HD live with 77kms left.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    At least women's tennis is so uncompetitive this will be over quickly. They are probably surprised the cannon fodder on the other side of the net took 4 games in the first set.
  • jamie1012
    smithy21 wrote:
    At least women's tennis is so uncompetitive this will be over quickly. They are probably surprised the cannon fodder on the other side of the net took 4 games in the first set.
    Federer's match lasted about an hour, to be fair :lol:
  • blazing_saddles
    About one hour until the break reaches the climb, so no huge loss.
    If there is a three setter on Tuesday, though............ :P
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    British Eurosport up and running!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Turfle
    Even as a huge Pantani fan growing up, this is all making me a little uncomfortable.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Carlton Kirby regretting that, now that Cunego has the cameras for once on him, as part of the break, there is no descent today for Cunego “to show his stuff“ (Kirby’s words). True love never dies.
  • Yellow Peril
    Cadel's been on the helium again
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • jamie1012
    Cadel sounds about 12 years old.
  • Yellow Peril
    Paolini looks scary in a deliverance-esque way
    @JaunePeril