Giro 2014 - Stage 9: Lugo -Sestola MTF **Spoilers**

Comments

• smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Evans is playing it well.

He didn't go with Pozzo as he didn't need to. When Uran went he followed him.

He is conserving energy and this stage played out pretty well for him. I would be amazed if Pozzo doesn't have a really bad day somewhere over the next couple of weeks.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Basso is a donkey??????????

Good stage today, loved it :)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

I thought you said no one would attack or strongly hinted at it. If Pozzo keeps attacking and getting 30 seconds here and there then he will win. I don't know why you bother watching you seem to know everything.

I said

Depends I guess. If I was BMC, I'd want to unload the jersey for a while, so you need the right kind of break. But the other GC guys are going to want to let BMC work and knacker themselves out.

Reckon we might see some GC guys test it a bit more today.

It's not brain surgery, it's cycling tactics.

What did everyone think was going to happen? Glorious solo attacks where the camera switches to black and white to show us how awesome it is? Or normal tactical racing you see after a week of grand tour racing?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Not sure why Garmin did a good turn on the front..

I'd guess their DS was yelling at them for not getting a man in the break.
    Speaking of Garmin, Ryder 4:30 down, was he affected by the crash the other day?

Missed that result. Pretty awful from him.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Ryder came in with the main favourites today. His position in the GC is largely the result of time losses in the opening day TTT.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • iainf72
    I see Quintana has an injured bottom.

From a crash, not overly keen fan.
  • frenchfighter
    The_Boy wrote:
    Ryder came in with the main favourites today. His position in the GC is largely the result of time losses in the opening day TTT.

Ah ok - assumed Paul meant today.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    I am not a betting man, but if I were, the only contender I'd risk money on is Evans. He's at an age where he cannot have even in the very back of his mind "well, there'll always be another day/year". Aging focuses the mind wonderfully.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    iainf72 wrote:

I thought you said no one would attack or strongly hinted at it. If Pozzo keeps attacking and getting 30 seconds here and there then he will win. I don't know why you bother watching you seem to know everything.

I said

Depends I guess. If I was BMC, I'd want to unload the jersey for a while, so you need the right kind of break. But the other GC guys are going to want to let BMC work and knacker themselves out.

Reckon we might see some GC guys test it a bit more today.

It's not brain surgery, it's cycling tactics.

What did everyone think was going to happen? Glorious solo attacks where the camera switches to black and white to show us how awesome it is? Or normal tactical racing you see after a week of grand tour racing?

Why not. We have seen early attacks in recent years In GT''s My man Andy Schleck for example. Contador another example of riders going early in a stage. Quintana went last year at the tour got caught but at least he had a go.
    Pozzo showed some spirit today. If they all sit back like today then this tour is over. This race needs to be blown apart especially as Evans looks as strong as anyone. It's no good looking at each other or say will we have a go next week. If you have good legs then make use of them. "there is no tomorrow"
    Do you know the euro lottery numbers this week? I will go halfs :lol:
    Basso is a donkey.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    meagain wrote:
    I am not a betting man, but if I were, the only contender I'd risk money on is Evans. He's at an age where he cannot have even in the very back of his mind "well, there'll always be another day/year". Aging focuses the mind wonderfully.

It's a big ask, as they say, but if Quintana is winged, it's very much game on. As well as drinking in The Last Chance, Ulrika's amazing productivity shows what a bit of momentum can do. It will be a great race if Cadel's in with a chance late in the third week.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,174
    ThomThom wrote:
    I was over the moon by quite a few of the classics and one day races. You must have been out in the rare sunshine when I expressed that. The lack of posts today was down to nothing to dicuss or get excited about - which probably would be fair enough on a long, warm, flat sprinter's stage - but when the setup is mountainous with a rest day coming up I really don't think it's too much to raise the level of expectation just a tiny bit..

Was today mountainous? There were a couple of climbs at the end, the rest was just rolling. What do you ever get to talk about in a GT stage unless there's an incident? Will the break stay away or not and then will a contender attack towards the end is about the most you ever get to discuss unless there's a big crosswind stage with echelons. Stages in races are rarely exciting, I just felt today had enough in that it was touch and go if a member of the break could stay away and then which of the two would win then a possible contender attacking from a reasonable (by modern standards) distance from the end. With the exception of maybe yesterday it was easily the best day of racing in the Giro so far this year not that that says much!
  • iainf72
    Basso is a donkey.

The lottery is a tax on stupid people my friend.

Basso might be a donkey, but considering how terrible he was before the Giro he's doing ok.
  • tuneskyline
    Macaloon wrote:
    meagain wrote:

It's a big ask, as they say, but if Quintana is winged, it's very much game on. As well as drinking in The Last Chance, Ulrika's amazing productivity shows what a bit of momentum can do. It will be a great race if Cadel's in with a chance late in the third week.

Even if Quintana was on top form it would be a lot to make up that time on Evans. If Evans is getting anywhere near is best form then this tour is over. Time will tell.
  • iainf72

Even if Quintana was on top form it would be a lot to make up that time on Evans. If Evans is getting anywhere near is best form then this tour is over. Time will tell.

Yup - Agree completely here. If Evans is on form properly, Quintana won't ride away from him with any kind of ease.

And Evans has the Giro experience, which will help too.
  • tuneskyline
    iainf72 wrote:
    Basso is a donkey.

The lottery is a tax on stupid people my friend.

Basso might be a donkey, but considering how terrible he was before the Giro he's doing ok.

Unless you win it and have the self control to manage that much financial gain in a mature and sensible way.
    Basso is doing ok but he will not rise up again like King Andy Schleck
  • tuneskyline
    iainf72 wrote:

Yup - Agree completely here. If Evans is on form properly, Quintana won't ride away from him with any kind of ease.

And Evans has the Giro experience, which will help too.

Wise words Sir. Good Form.
    If I had been drinking a few beers I would tell you "I love you man"
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Wise words Sir. Good Form.
    If I had been drinking a few beers I would tell you "I love you man"

I'm leaning less romantic. For Cadel to win he needs to sustain the very top of his game to hold of Uran & co, and Quintana needs to be off form. I don't think Cadel can live with the Quintana who climbed at least as well as Froome last year. That said, 2014 Quintana would struggle too.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    The_Boy wrote:

Ah ok - assumed Paul meant today.
    Ah of course, I was thinking it was the big crash the other day.

That TTT seems like weeks ago.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,279
    So Pozzovivo did what I was expecting him to do yesterday.

Was surprised when Kelly kept backing Malacame, was Weening all the way for me.

Been a good Giro for the Friesians :).
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,187
    The thing with this Giro is that there's no-one really with the confidence to try and take on the race early doors. Maybe Quintana could have done if not injured, but otherwise this race is not filled with top tier riders. So until we have the first TT to set a genuine order to affairs everyone is going to hold station.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,767
    Macaloon wrote:
    I'm leaning less romantic. For Cadel to win he needs to sustain the very top of his game to hold of Uran & co, and Quintana needs to be off form. I don't think Cadel can live with the Quintana who climbed at least as well as Froome last year. That said, 2014 Quintana would struggle too.

Agreed, if Quintana is on the form he had at the Tour last year I'd be surprised if Evans can win the race even from the position he is in now. If he can winning at 37 years old would be some achievement, the oldest winner ever by a number of years, though Chris Horner showed it's possible to be competitive for a few years yet.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • frenchfighter
    giro14st9_matthews.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    To180514Spo_0427.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    giro14st9_matthews.jpg

Ouch!
  • frenchfighter
    142211_To180514Spo_0484.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    173108_PIC461651749.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    One of the Colombian riders wanted a drink inside the finale when he wasnt allowed. His team didnt want to give him one as there was a 50 CHF fine. He wasnt happy so he climbed off. He remounted and finished the stage 3mins outside the cut and was sent home.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Jeez, for 50 CHF? If the rider needs a drink just give him one!
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Not only did they save 50 CHF - they are probably going to save good few years of a rider's salary as well..
  • Pross
    Well, unless they replace him which I assume they will!