Giro 2014 - Stage 9: Lugo -Sestola MTF **Spoilers**

Comments

• Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Sky the only team with 3 riders in the group of favourites. What a show of strength.

(sorry)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    ThomThom wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Another good stage, nice to see the break succeed and good aggression from Pozzo to pinch 30 seconds on a fairly innocuous climb. Weening with a good hybrid Australian / Dutch accent.

Sorry, but surely that can't be genuine?

Why not? The break rode hard to try to win it rather than just get TV time and a decent effort from a GC contender to gain a reasonable amount of time. You don't have to have all the big favourites going at it hammer and tongs to have a decent race, if you did there'd never be a good stage!
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Those podium girls are a bit feckin' miserable! Kiss him properly FFS! What's a bit of sweat?!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Thought that was ok - About what I'd expect.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited May 2014
    Pross wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Another good stage, nice to see the break succeed and good aggression from Pozzo to pinch 30 seconds on a fairly innocuous climb. Weening with a good hybrid Australian / Dutch accent.

Why not? The break rode hard to try to win it rather than just get TV time and a decent effort from a GC contender to gain a reasonable amount of time. You don't have to have all the big favourites going at it hammer and tongs to have a decent race, if you did there'd never be a good stage!

This was probably one of the worst stages I've seen this year.

After one attack in the break the winner of the stage was sorted. A 30 riders big peloton softpedalling up with a rest day tommorrow and and flat stage the day after - so, not even a hard stage tommorrow can be used as an excuse. Pozzo was the only one bothered and thankfully he was rewarded for that. It wasn't even a big attack from him - almost felt like a 'free' 30 seconds gain. With 10km to go we were on 2 pages in here with half of the posts being about tits...

Nothing wrong in calling a stage absolutely dreadful when it actually is. Just like a 0-0 draw in a football match can be.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Did I miss a Pozzy Bear special? Damnit, I love that guy.

It's a right old usual suspects line up on Processo Alla Tappa. Basso and Scarponi. Two for the price of one.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    It was alright. Expected a bit of a better contest in the breakaway, and a bit less of a contest from the GC guys.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Pross wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Thought AG2R saved it from being an absolutely dire and predictable stage. The break were never put under any serious pressure from the peloton. And almost as soon as Weening and Malacarne went clear, it never looked like anyone else was going to win it.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    iainf72 wrote:

Iain, everything seems to be what you expect. So can you let us know what the final GC will be so I can put some money down? I'll let you off if someone crashes, has a mechanical or has is affected by foul play.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    iainf72 wrote:

Iain, everything seems to be what you expect. So can you let us know what the final GC will be so I can put some money down? I'll let you off if someone crashes, has a mechanical or has is affected by foul play.

:lol:

No, I mean in terms of how it played out. Big break goes. Check.

Everyone leaves it to BMC to keep in under control (check) BMC don't really want to close it down - And why would they? Other teams want BMC to wear themselves down so they leave them to it. Break survives, and a "GC" (don't think Pozzo is a real GC guy though) rider nicks some time

If BMC could've got rid of the pink jersey, they would've. But not to any of the GC guys, obviously.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    On the second mountain stage of the 2011 Giro, Contador attacked early doors and put a minute in to the rest by the end.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Everyone leaves it to BMC to keep in under control (check) BMC don't really want to close it down - And why would they? Other teams want BMC to wear themselves down so they leave them to it. Break survives, and a "GC" (don't think Pozzo is a real GC guy though) rider nicks some time

If BMC could've got rid of the pink jersey, they would've. But not to any of the GC guys, obviously.

Yeah fair enough I suppose. I thought that BMC would happily let the jersey be taken today and they looked like they would except the other teams did put men on the front and the only danger rider proved not to be a danger.

Checking back through the results of recent Giros on the second weekend and there isn't much to shout about tbh.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Not sure why Garmin did a good turn on the front.

AG2R did a super job today with three riders out front Pozzo could ride between. I think also he wanted to repay them for not doing anything yesterday.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    TMR wrote:
    Those podium girls are a bit feckin' miserable! Kiss him properly FFS! What's a bit of sweat?!

Yep, there is obviously some kind of new protocol for the podium girls at this race, for whatever reason.

Kelderman up there sprinting again. Hopefully he will have good legs in week 3 and can get a top-10 GC finish, if not top-5. All these efforts in the mountain top finishes might take there toll on him, though.

DD.
  • frenchfighter
    Kruijswijk was a DNF today - broke his shoulder I think on stage 6.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    There's talk that Ulissi had a 6am doping test and was feeling exhausted hence why Lampre did no work to bring the break back. He seemed to find his legs for the finish so maybe they'll regret that but I'm sure he'll have another chance to make it 3.

===

What do we reckon about Pozzo's TT chances? He rode a blinder at La Vuelta last year but I'm not sure he can reliably replicate that kind of performance.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    On the second mountain stage of the 2011 Giro, Contador attacked early doors and put a minute in to the rest by the end.

Two things about that:
    (i) Officially he wasn't actually there, and the attack didn't happen. So we all imagined it.
    (ii) Whilst it livened things up relatively early on, it became apparent that he could win easily and the overall entertainment reduced accordingly as the Giro went on.

With hindsight, given that Contador wasn't there the actual race for the official winner was quite close and entertaining, but we only got to know that it was an exciting race many months later.

Despite the complaints, I think this year's Giro is setting itself up nicely.
  • frenchfighter
    What do we reckon about Pozzo's TT chances? He rode a blinder at La Vuelta last year but I'm not sure he can reliably replicate that kind of performance.

Good I think. The profiles are more suited to him too:

profile-12.jpg
    profile-19.jpg

When they get to the Zoncolan they will have tired legs but that is effectively another point he can gain time. Last time Evans races it he came 2nd, a little over a minute behind Basso.

Zoncolan+profile+2007.gif
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    TheBigBean wrote:

Two things about that:
    (i) Officially he wasn't actually there, and the attack didn't happen. So we all imagined it.
    (ii) Whilst it livened things up relatively early on, it became apparent that he could win easily and the overall entertainment reduced accordingly as the Giro went on.

With hindsight, given that Contador wasn't there the actual race for the official winner was quite close and entertaining, but we only got to know that it was an exciting race many months later.

If Pantani had won by a few seconds here and there and attacking in the last couple of km, do you think he would be held up as much as he is now?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    TheBigBean wrote:

I snorted.

If Quintana was already skipping away from the field 5k from the tops, this Giro would be over. As it is. Who knows?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/quintan ... -injurires
    “I’m up there with the favourites, I haven’t lost time on another stage,” Quintana, thirteenth on the stage where he finished with a group of 21 favourites and currently ninth at 1-45 on Evans, said.

“However, my legs weren’t great and it was impossible to follow Pozzovivo when he attacked, he’s going very strongly in the mountains.”

“My injury is hurting a lot, particularly when there are attacks, but I hope to recover on the rest day. It’s come just in time.”
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    ThomThom wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Pross wrote:

This was probably one of the worst stages I've seen this year.

After one attack in the break the winner of the stage was sorted. A 30 riders big peloton softpedalling up with a rest day tommorrow and and flat stage the day after - so, not even a hard stage tommorrow can be used as an excuse. Pozzo was the only one bothered and thankfully he was rewarded for that. It wasn't even a big attack from him - almost felt like a 'free' 30 seconds gain. With 10km to go we were on 2 pages in here with half of the posts being about tits...

Nothing wrong in calling a stage absolutely dreadful when it actually is. Just like a 0-0 draw in a football match can be.

Did you miss the first 7 stages? I suspect the lack of posts was more to do with most regulars getting out and enjoying the rare sunshine while it lasts. Even Iain described the stage as 'OK' which is glowing praise. I can't think of a days racing you have ever rated as any good!
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I was over the moon by quite a few of the classics and one day races. You must have been out in the rare sunshine when I expressed that. The lack of posts today was down to nothing to dicuss or get excited about - which probably would be fair enough on a long, warm, flat sprinter's stage - but when the setup is mountainous with a rest day coming up I really don't think it's too much to raise the level of expectation just a tiny bit..
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    TheBigBean wrote:

Two things about that:

If Pantani had won by a few seconds here and there and attacking in the last couple of km, do you think he would be held up as much as he is now?

Pantani arrived in an era where everything was about big guys with powerful TTs being the best climbers. He came along and suddenly started taking time out of people on mountains rather than in TTs. It was exciting stuff, but it was made even more exciting by his inabilitiy to time trial - he was still losing minutes to riders in TTs. That's what sport needs - a balance between one thing and the other.

Contador has won many many exciting races but the Giro in 2011 wasn't one of them. In fact, pretty much every other GT he has won was more exciting.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Pross wrote:
    I realise why that could be possible but sounded to me more like he could have been brought up a Boer.
    Still, well done to him and Malacarne for taking advantage of the day.

As for 'good stage', well I don't know. Does that assessment also include the first 100 kms? Thank goodness to Pozzovivo for enlivening things a little at the end.
    At least the Sprint and Combativity jerseys changed hands, while Omega and Ag2r moved above BMC in the team classification (even if all almost accidentally).

Could be a few dire days ahead till Saturday, now – why I thought something more tactical might have been attempted today.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

If you were Evans would you not have been attempted to attack late on and test your rivals injuries?
    The final week is supposed to be tough (I haven't looked ahead) may as well try to get a bit more cushion.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Not sure why Garmin did a good turn on the front..

I'd guess their DS was yelling at them for not getting a man in the break.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Glad Pozzovivo put a bit of time in to the others, thought we were going to see more changes in the GC time gaps, especially when Uran went to the front, I thought we were in for a bit of action with him and Quintana but only Pozzo wanted to play. Before a rest day I thought there would have been more of a push.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Not sure why Garmin did a good turn on the front..

I'd guess their DS was yelling at them for not getting a man in the break.
    Speaking of Garmin, Ryder 4:30 down, was he affected by the crash the other day?
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

I thought you said no one would attack or strongly hinted at it. If Pozzo keeps attacking and getting 30 seconds here and there then he will win. I don't know why you bother watching you seem to know everything.
    Can you tell me the euro lottery numbers this week
    Will Andy Schleck win the tour this year :lol:

Evans needs to keep his eye on the ball. He cannot let attacks like this keep getting away. Quintana is not the only danger.
    Basso is a donkey.