Giro Stage 4: Giovinazzo - Bari *Spoiler*

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    2009 Milan crit: it rained, it got neutralised
    2014 Bari crit: it rains, it gets neutralised.

Not a great idea, organisers, but the price you pay for travelling all the way to N Ireland.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • woody1545
    woody1545 Posts: 322
    Delete
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    So let me get this right, they're not going to race because most of them picked Kittel for PTP? Very unsporting.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    If he'd known they were going to neutralise it for rain Wiggo might have ridden after all.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    So let me get this right, they're not going to race because most of them picked Kittel for PTP? Very unsporting.

That's right. The riders are going to ensure that the top 10 is made up of people that no one picked so we all get nul points.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    Blue skies and drying roads now.
    Looks like they are at least thinking about actually racing.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • above_the_cows
    This part of Italy does not almost reach Greece. The ferry from Brindisi (100km south of Bari) still takes 6 hours! And actually you only have a tiny overlap. Both Bari and Brindisi are on the same latitude as Albania not Greece. Only the very, very, very bottom of the heel overlaps with the north of Corfu.

OK geographic rant over.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Pross wrote:
    Wow. Kittel wasn’t expected to finish, but his exit is a bit earlier than planned.

Why does no-one think Ben Swift is in with a chance today? He must be hungry. I’d rate him.

I went for Swift in PTP then looked at the profile and switched to Kittel. Sums up my luck in general!

Contrariwise, a Swift pick would have been unfortunate, arriving a comfortable margin after the deadline.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    If he'd known they were going to neutralise it for rain Wiggo might have ridden after all.

Careful DeV ... That kinda talk is frowned on in these parts apparently ... You better say something unnecessary about a foreigner to address the balance before someone reports you ...
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Pfft.

He could of at least had the decency to pull out with a fever last night so we could all have re-pricked.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Is it just me or is Kittel a bit of a sickly child? Gets ill in races quite a bit doesn't he?

Oh, and can they just race this please. I need some highlights to watch when I get back tonight.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Just started to watch. The race has been neutralised because of rain on a flat stage?
  • milton50
    Aaaaand they've decided it's too dangerous again.
  • above_the_cows
    Milton50 wrote:
    re-pricked.

Sloes?

sloe.jpg
  • above_the_cows
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Just started to watch. The race has been neutralised because of rain on a flat stage?

Aye, to be fair though when I was last in that part of the world, the roads were a combination of very slick and goddam awful.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Did you see Paolini barge past Matthews there? Not happy.
  • above_the_cows
    edited May 2014
    I could form a one person break at this speed. :D

Otherwise known as attack.
  • Key
    Key Posts: 464
    Is Orica doing this just so they can keep the jersey one more day without any hassle?
  • above_the_cows
    I was in Bari a few months ago. Thought the roads were perfectly fine, old city excepted.

I think the riders are just sick of rain and falling off. Not a great reason to stop racing. It’s obvious lots of them do want to race, though.

They must have had a face lift. I've seen better roads in large parts of Africa.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Dont think any GT is coming back to this country any time soon. Road furniture and rain the whole time doesnt make for any positives. Several more crashes and GC teams riding the front to keep out of trouble.

Arf!

Have I mentioned it's a beautiful day on the North Antrim Coast.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Is it worth the effort to put the TV on?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Probably not for the next 30k. They're taking GC time at the start of the final lap, so the final 10k should be raced by some.
  • milton50
    Is it worth the effort to put the TV on?

It's quite a nice looking area and Paolini's beard is always good value. The racing, when they do decide to race, isn't very inspiring though.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Bloody hell these guys are not what they once were. Bloody losers.

-

Race radio chief has told Italian television is that due to the risk of adverse weather conditions, the race will be neutralised with one lap to go and times taken for the overall classification. No time bonuses will be awarded.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    With no racing news due to the travel and rest day, Gazzetta dello Sport has dug up some interesting news on several lesser-known riders.

Colombia's Winner Anacona (Lampre-Merida) is riding his first Giro d'Italia and revealed that when his was born, his cycling-mad father wanted to name him after Dutch climber Peter Winnen, who was a Tour de France contender in the eighties and twice won on L'Alpe d'Huez.

According to Gazzetta dello Sport, Anacona's father thought Winnen was called Winner after hearing his name over the radio and registered Winner as his son's name.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Dont think any GT is coming back to this country any time soon. Road furniture and rain the whole time doesnt make for any positives. Several more crashes and GC teams riding the front to keep out of trouble.

Arf!

Have they never watched a race in the Nertherlands? Watching the Amstel it looks like you could walk down a road in NED without touching the tarmac
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Bloody hell these guys are not what they once were. Bloody losers.
    Even Kelly was agreeing that the neutralisation is a good idea.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Looks like the racing is beginning.
  • above_the_cows
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Arf!

Have they never watched a race in the Nertherlands? Watching the Amstel it looks like you could walk down a road in NED without touching the tarmac

We do have a fair few humps, but the road surface between the humps is second to none.

Anyway I don't really mind these stages, its all part of the rich tapestry that is a three week tour.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Are they going to man up in a bit? This is bloody awful, are the roads even wet!? Rule #5!