It seems I'm not the only one who dislikes the French !

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    VTech wrote:
    I dislike the fact that they have to be different and refuse to speak English in open events. The World Cup, the Olympics and the Eurovision.
    Add to that the fact the gendarmes will be waiting for us as we leave the uk next month and it really adds to the fact that me and the French don't get on. Yes I know, I'm taking on a whole nation now !!

Why should they speak English a) at all and b) during the World Cup, Olympics and Eurovision? The former two are sporting events so they play sport and the latter is a singing event so it involves singing. Generally in your native tongue.

I presume then that you'll be boycotting Le Tour as well then?

Plus ca change ..........

Its not the fact they want to sing in french, I actually applaud that. Its the fact that they do not conform to the rules which is that all results are to be given in english.
    Its not that I speak english so I want others to do so, I can't help being english.
    Everyone else did except them.
    Same as the world cup and Olympics as I said, they only speak in french even though over 95% of the countries taking part either speak or have a large proportion of people who understand this language.
    Living MY dream.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    random man wrote:
    Her version of all over the world is superb, one of my faves.

As for the French speaking French...........................I'm horrified. :roll:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129
    VTech wrote:
    Its not the fact they want to sing in french, I actually applaud that. Its the fact that they do not conform to the rules which is that all results are to be given in english.
    Its not that I speak english so I want others to do so, I can't help being english.
    Same as the world cup and Olympics as I said, they only speak in french even though over 95% of the countries taking part either speak or have a large proportion of people who understand this language.

good! lets english speakers know what it's like when you're not an english speaker and everything is in english

they also get extra points pour enfreint les règles
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    VTech wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    I dislike the fact that they have to be different and refuse to speak English in open events. The World Cup, the Olympics and the Eurovision.
    Add to that the fact the gendarmes will be waiting for us as we leave the uk next month and it really adds to the fact that me and the French don't get on. Yes I know, I'm taking on a whole nation now !!

Why should they speak English a) at all and b) during the World Cup, Olympics and Eurovision? The former two are sporting events so they play sport and the latter is a singing event so it involves singing. Generally in your native tongue.

I presume then that you'll be boycotting Le Tour as well then?

Plus ca change ..........

Same as the world cup and Olympics as I said, they only speak in french even though over 95% of the countries taking part either speak or have a large proportion of people who understand this language.[/quote]

Is that really a rule?

Is that xenophobia or ignorance? And again, you haven't explained why you want people talking to you in, to them, a foreign language during a sporting event. As an aside, your sentence says that 95% of people understand French, so that's no problem then is it?

La plume de ma tante, eh .......
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    VTech wrote:

FIFA - established by the French, now based in Switzerland.
    IOC - established by the French, now based in Switzerland.

That's why French is the joint language of both of these events, alongside English.

Why are the cops waiting for you?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I thought French and English were the accepted languages of Eurovision. Hence all the "nil points" pronounced in French in days of old.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    Royaume-uni: Nil points.

La plume de ma tante est plus petite que le jardin de Versailles, mais mon Pillum est plus fort que votre sternum.

Translated from Asterix, bastardised by me
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Matthewfalle
    Does anyone know Xavier from La Rochelle?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • VTech wrote:

I had always assumed from your posts that English was a second language for you. :wink:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    If you know their language enough to understand and join in with their banter then they are just brilliant. Was sitting near a group of old rustics on the ferry last week and they were just so full of life (and red wine) .. Singing and laughing all the way, was quite infectious.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    I was once described as infectious.
    Sex life suffered for a while. :cry:
  • Mikey23
    Fox mange is an ugly thing ...
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Fox minge is an ugly thing ...

FTFY
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,973
    Sam's?

Possibly.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Why should they be polite to the ignorant, obsequious, subordinate, doff your cap Rost Biff who don't even try to fit in with any other culture or speak the language?
    Well they should be polite to us - after all we bailed them out in the last two World Wars. Otherwise they'd be speaking German and eating sauerkraut.

Nah, the Americans bailed them out last time. we went running from Dunkirk with our tails between our legs...
  • brianonyx
    brianonyx Posts: 170
    I've never met anyone who professes to hate, or not get on with, the French who can actually speak the language. I've yet to meet one of these francophones who has ever had a meaningful relationship with a French person therefore in their own language.

Many of my rugby playing friends are in the same boat and profess to hate the French. I am sure all of whom sound like your typical chav Brit ignoramus when actually in France.

I despise people with the attitude of the OP.
  • Mikey23
    My French ain't brilliant but I do have a go and they love you for it. It is so much part of their national identity (along with their rubbish music). I also despise arrogant attitudes such as those of the OP which have no foundation in fact whatsoever
  • ballysmate
    brianonyx wrote:
    I've never met anyone who professes to hate, or not get on with, the French who can actually speak the language. I've yet to meet one of these francophones who has ever had a meaningful relationship with a French person therefore in their own language.

Many of my rugby playing friends are in the same boat and profess to hate the French. I am sure all of whom sound like your typical chav Brit ignoramus when actually in France.

I despise people with the attitude of the OP.

Well there's a first. :roll:
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Sam's?

Possibly.
    It was probably ok 30 years ago but I think she forgot to keep it in the fridge.

Is Vtech announcing his UKIP candidacy?
  • ballysmate
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Sam's?

Possibly.

Don't think any of us would interest her would we?
    Hasn't she been a bean flicker for years?
  • Love France and the French, the small-minded bigoted types who dislike them are usually lacking in intelligence and social skills.

Jeremy Clarkson and his 'cheese eating surrender monkeys' quote springs to mind.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Love France and the French, the small-minded bigoted types who dislike them are usually lacking in intelligence and social skills.

Jeremy Clarkson and his 'cheese eating surrender monkeys' quote springs to mind.

You can't help yourself can you.
    Living MY dream.
  • Matthewfalle
    What - when it comes to cheese and wine and very attractive women? No, not really.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    nathancom wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Sam's?

Possibly.
    It was probably ok 30 years ago but I think she forgot to keep it in the fridge.

Is Vtech announcing his UKIP candidacy?

vr7adu.jpg

I dunno, she's not too shabby :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Matthewfalle
    She was/having seeing her agent who was/is a right munter if my memory serves me right. Looking good there though.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    VTech wrote:
    Its the fact that they do not conform to the rules which is that all results are to be given in english

Eurovision Song Contest Rules:
    Countries must announce the country names and points in either English or French and the scores are repeated by the contest's presenters in the other language.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    simonhead wrote:
    They don't sell good beer.

Whaaaat....!? The French may not serve Doombar but their lager is far superior to anything you get in this country.
  • pinno
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Is disliking the French as a race of people, more racist than disliking someone for the colour of their skin, or less?

In my limited experience, I found that if you learn a couple of relevant phrases, say please and thank you and generally look a little embarrassed at your shocking pronunciations, the French are very friendly and helpful.
  • pinno
This discussion has been closed.