Liège-Bastogne-Liège *spoiler thread*

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Pross wrote:
    Four NetApps and two MTN's including Louis M only 3.33 down. Great stuff for low-budget small teams.

British riders totally absent.

Apart from the one who fell off when possibly being on course for back-to-back victories :wink:

Without looking at the startlist how many Brits even started? Edmondson, Cummings, someone on NetApp maybe?

I know you Brit-tastic supporters will claim anyone as a Brit(ish) champion ... But Martin ain't one of them ...

You know that little winking icon thing? Would you like an explanation of what it means? The first time I ever saw Dan Martin he was a toddler, mum and dad attended our club dinner pretty much every year through the 90s and Uncle Steve even showed up once. There's no way you could mistake that broad Dublin accent for him being English.
  • Now that the Tour of Turkey sprint's out of the way..... when is Liege Bastogne Liege?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Pross wrote:
    Four NetApps and two MTN's including Louis M only 3.33 down. Great stuff for low-budget small teams.

Apart from the one who fell off when possibly being on course for back-to-back victories :wink:

Without looking at the startlist how many Brits even started? Edmondson, Cummings, someone on NetApp maybe?

I know you Brit-tastic supporters will claim anyone as a Brit(ish) champion ... But Martin ain't one of them ...

No, he just used to be......
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    British P-R equivalent was raced today.
    Thought this was funny:
    BmPTHR4IcAEEmA-.jpg

Is that Brendan Gallagher?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    inseine wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Not sure why this is important, but Cummings did a lot of work, which I'm pretty sure is his job.

It's not remotely important to me, just putting the statement of them being 'totally absent' into context. Not a single Icelandic rider finished either, it's a disgrace.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:

You know that little winking icon thing? Would you like an explanation of what it means? The first time I ever saw Dan Martin he was a toddler, mum and dad attended our club dinner pretty much every year through the 90s and Uncle Steve even showed up once. There's no way you could mistake that broad Dublin accent for him being English.

Please don't bother explaining about winking and toddlers ... Especially on a public forum ...
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Evans was on the front of the race for a total of 12 secs today.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Jesper Hansen, LBL recon:
    BmEJw2bIQAENuJw.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Was he?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:

Was he?
    A rather impressive effort from someone who is currently at home in Switzerland.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Was he?
    A rather impressive effort from someone who is currently at home in Switzerland.

Still I bet he got up and stayed up and didn't go back to bed like Froome.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Was he?

Of course I meant Gerrans.

Was thinking at the time of writing what an amazing rider Evans is, wind burnt cheeks and all.

20090219dasdaicic_1.jpg
    Evans_zps6d1406ef.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    He sure is an amazing rider

Never won a monument though.
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:

You reckon Simon Shadow Man Gerrans is a better rider than Evans? :roll:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    Genuine question: is the worlds not classed as a monument?
  • frenchfighter
    Mooro wrote:

MSR, Flanders, Roubaix, LBL, Lombardia are the monuments, but Evans' win in the Worlds was pretty excellent.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Just back from 2 weeks in Italy (with a copy of Friebe's translation of Man on the Run) and caught up with the Ardennes classics. IMO Valverde appears to be the form rider of the season so far, nice to see Pip back on it.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    Mooro wrote:

MSR, Flanders, Roubaix, LBL, Lombardia are the monuments, but Evans' win in the Worlds was pretty excellent.

Ta!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Well I missed it but caught the last 20km on Eurosport (which surely ust have been posted as they were riding it but whatever). Anyone knocking Gerrans has no clue about the realities of cycling. He did exactly what he needed to do perfectly. Great win for him and OGE, they deserve serious credit.

I challenge anyone to watch the last hill of FW and LBL and tell me the winners are anything different from each other.

Looks like our dance worked AtC!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Mooro wrote:

Some would say it was the making of him in terms of public perception. Yes it was a great win.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ddraver wrote:
    Looks like our dance worked AtC!

I gave it extra welly this morning just to be sure.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Inner Rings take on it,"Gerrans, despite his hi-viz Aussie champion’s kit wasn’t in sight much during the race. This isn’t a criticism, it’s how “The Sniper” rides and exactly what was predicted in the preview, he’s got one bullet and he didn’t miss"
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Poor Dan Martin had that in the bag by the looks of it.

Gerrans, Yuck, just yuck.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Gerrans now has 2 monuments, a stage in each of the Grand Tours, 3 TDUS, Aussie national jersey and worn Yellow.

That's not bad. Not bad at all.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Poor Dan Martin had that in the bag by the looks of it.

He didn't at all though.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Gerrans (fixed) was on the front of the race for a total of 12 secs today.

I admit it was poor racing ... He was on the front 11.95 seconds too much ...

A pure racer like Cavendish could show him how to win a monument properly ... :wink:

Joking aside, as usual, Gerrans rode smart (utilising what team he had well ... unlike say, Nibali) and timed his win perfectly ... He's the rouleur's Valverde/J-Rod ...
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    I mentioned on WW sight that if Martin attacked a bit earlier he could win. He looked like he had enough to win in my view. They should have restarted the race just before the bend so Dan Martin could win :lol: It does look like a pedal strike. A bad mistake for anyone never mind a pro. Shame. Nibali is not looking his best.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I have to say that I just can't warm to Gerrans or his style of riding at all. Other bugger's efforts.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

You reckon Simon Shadow Man Gerrans is a better rider than Evans? :roll:

No. And I'm not even a Gerrans fan, but I appreciate a canny rider, as we all should This sport is about the head and the legs.

Gerrans was there in a select group, and used his head to win. That's what this sport is all about. We all knew he was capable of winning, and he managed to perform on the day and win the race.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    He does use his head and he is effective, it's just horrible to watch. I can't even explain why because I have no problem with a sprinter who doesn't appear on the front all day and pops out just for a sprint.