Kinesis Aithein

Comments

• macp
    macp Posts: 94
    Beautiful machines and awesome in orange.Just bought a T2 in powder blue and so far loving it.
  • powenb
    powenb Posts: 296
    IShaggy wrote:
    An aluminium frame with aluminium bars and aluminium seat-post. I'd heard good things about the ride but I was still expecting it to be little harsh, particularly as my commuter is steel and my Sunday best is Ti so I'm used to 'soft' rides. But I was wrong. the ride quality was superb. Very little road buzz and it soaks up the bumps in the road as well as any road bike I've ridden.

Out of the saddle, the bike is stiff and responsive. It's a little twitchy when setting off or when riding slowly. But I'm sure I'll soon adapt to that, and when up to speed it fine. Both BB and front end feel solid - although I'm only 73kg so certainly no heavy weight. As for it's cornering and descending abilities, I'll find out tomorrow as I'm going to take it for a long one in the Surrey hills. But given how solid the front end is and how well it soaks up the bumps,I have a feeling it'll excel.

Another couple of very nice machines, and I completely agree with what IShaggy is saying here!!
  • crx165
    crx165 Posts: 2
    edited June 2014
    Thought I'd join in with the Aithein Orange-a-thon
    Just to prove they aren't all running Ultegra :)

The white tape and saddle lasted 1500miles !
    b145d16887cb11e387cc12ac8cffcf8a_8_zps621ee49e.jpg

Then reverted to something a little less "Wannabe Pro"
    6E499646-8B63-466C-9E3C-EA1421DA3165_zpspc9yqpci.jpg

Spec:
    FIR350 on PMP hubs
    Campagnolo Mix (Record, Chorus & Veloce)
    Bontrager Speed X brakes + XXX cranks, stem & seatpost, PX bars
    Bioflex saddle
    Specialized Turbo SWORKS+Pro tyres 24/25c

Anyone suffering from a creaky BB yet? Mine started at around 1300miles! Anything over ~300w and its starts :cry:

Echoing above comments - fantastically comfortable, fast, stiff, light and superb VFM.

One downside (aside from BB creak), rivnuts that are the bottle cage bosses came loose and took me ages to track down the rattle!
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    crx165 wrote:
    Thought I'd join in with the Aithein Orange-a-thon
    Just to prove they aren't all running Ultegra :)

The white tape and saddle lasted 1500miles !
    b145d16887cb11e387cc12ac8cffcf8a_8_zps621ee49e.jpg

Then reverted to something a little less "Wannabe Pro"
    6E499646-8B63-466C-9E3C-EA1421DA3165_zpspc9yqpci.jpg

Spec:
    FIR350 on PMP hubs
    Campagnolo Mix (Record, Chorus & Veloce)
    Bontrager XXX cranks, stem & seatpost, PX bars
    Bioflex saddle
    Specialized Turbo SWORKS+Pro tyres 24/25c

Anyone suffering from a creaky BB yet? Mine started at around 1300miles! Anything over ~300w and its starts :cry:

Echoing above comments - fantastically comfortable, fast, stiff, light and superb VFM.

One downside (aside from BB creak), rivnuts that are the bottle cage bosses came loose and took me ages to track down the rattle!

Awesome, What size frame is that?
    huge saddle to bar drop, long legs?
    I've been thinking about one of these but not sure if my creaky old back can bend that far (fused vertebrae at the base).
  • crx165
    crx165 Posts: 2
    Thanks!
    Its a 53cm - 33/34" inseam/6ft and long arms but its a 90mm stem so reach isn't too extreme.
    Its taken me a reasonable jump in fitness/flexibility to be comfortable in this position.

I couldn't recommend the frame enough (not just saying it coz I've got one!). Sure you could make it fit with a tweek of stem height/frame size, shallow drops, etc.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    edited July 2014
    Just to prove they're not all orange :)

2drs7fc.jpg

It may be of interest to prospective buyers that this build comes in at 6.8kg in size 56. I have a few changes planned that should take another 200 grams off.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I'd really like to have one as a fast bike for weekend rides. The frameset seems good value at just over £500 from Winstanleys.

All the builds look awesome!
  • bontie
    bontie Posts: 177
    VamP, what seatpost is that?
    It almost looks the wrong way around, or is at just one of them optical illusions?
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Those bars are all wrong for the brake levers too - either they need to come down a good bit (which I find uncomfortable) or you need a different bend - flatter at the top.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • markynulty
    markynulty Posts: 409
    After cracking the top tube on my carbon trek frame last weekend, I became a convert and bought my Aithein the following day. I only went to the shop to have a look and was too impressed not to take one home. I am still too sore to give it a proper shakedown, but have been out a few times on it and like how it handles.

20140803_192401.jpg

Its a size 59 and is fitted with:
    Fulcrum racing 3s / Carbon 45 tubs for racing.
    Ultegra 6700 groupset.
    Rotor 3d crank with QXL and a Power2max Type S.
    3T Doric Team seatpost.

I would say that a combination of the Doric seatpost and the Lizard Skin DSP 2.5 bar tape take all but the worst of the road away and make the frame almost as comfy as my old carbon and a hell of a lot stiffer. Weight is bang on the same aswell. Well impressed.

Only thing I will change is swap the stem for a 3T Arx Team to match the post, but thats purely for aesthetic reasons.
  • VamP
    bontie wrote:
    VamP, what seatpost is that?
    It almost looks the wrong way around, or is at just one of them optical illusions?

It's the 3T Stylus Zero. It's the right way around, although I did try it the other way as well :)
  • VamP
    k-dog wrote:
    Those bars are all wrong for the brake levers too - either they need to come down a good bit (which I find uncomfortable) or you need a different bend - flatter at the top.

I am not sure if that was aimed at me, but the bars just needed to be twisted down a smidgen for the final position. Perfect now.

The picture was taken before I rode it.

These are the Rotundo bars, I find them more comfy than any other I have tried.
  • powenb
    I have just received a nice pair of Reynolds Forty Six carbon wheels for mine. Going to give them a go (and hopefully take a pic or two) tomorrow!!
  • powenb
    DSC_0048_2014080514293057_edit_1407249741134.jpg

This is with the new Reynolds Forty Six Black edition wheels.
  • powenb wrote:
    DSC_0048_2014080514293057_edit_1407249741134.jpg

This is with the new Reynolds Forty Six Black edition wheels.

That looks fantastic. My LBS is a Kinesis dealer and I am sooo jealous of you Aithein owners....I definitely have room for one (N+1) in the man cave alongside my Ribble and GF ti.....shame the wife doesn't see it that way :? (she even suggested we go to the bank for a financial overhaul!!!...anyone want a lodger? :cry: )
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Is she good looking?

Oh, you meant you.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Nice ride. Orange is number 1 in my top 3 of bike colours. Liquigas green is 3rd.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • k-dog wrote:
    Is she good looking?

Oh, you meant you.

Lets face it...if its a choice between the bikes and the wife......... :lol:
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    That is utterly lush!
  • DSC_8354.JPG

Not in it's final build in this picture but I thought I'd join the hype, I've done a few races on it now and I can safely say it's brilliant.
  • powenb
    I can safely say it's brilliant.

I originally built mine up as a second bike for holidays and races but I am so chuffed with it I've been thinking about getting rid of my 6 series Madone.
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    I have decided that I must hate you all. Wanted one, but never going to make the weight. All the builds look excellent. So jealous.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • bjl
    bjl Posts: 353
    Nice Campagnolo build Theo-saurus , which of the bb cups does the frame use
  • BB86 or whatever the shimano standard is called, Campag do some press fit cups that let you use ultra torque on pressfit frames.
  • bomster
    bomster Posts: 202
    Sorry for the ressurection.

I'm on the verge of buying an Aithein - but would be cool to hear some of your thoughts after owning them for over a year now?

Cheers in advance. I'm pretty much set on green btw :).
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    I've done about 3000km on mine. I was riding my Lynskey Ti bike over winter, but now that the weather has improved it is gathering dust in the back of the garage. The Ti bike is great, and is a keeper for life, but I'm loving the Aithein and will be using it throughout summer. I can't really fault it. It's racy in nature and feels twitchy when I switch from my Ti, but it takes 5 mins for me to get used to this. There is a small amount of road buzz when compared to the Ti. But this is to be expected as it's aluminium, and it's not enough to be fatiguing. If you are a puncheur and every ride is a race, then the Aithein is a great choice.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    I've had mine for over a year and still loving it, and still looks like new even though used regularly.

I also have a Carbon Giant TCR but always choose to ride the Aithein as my Best bike. It feels connected to the road, rather than a softer ride of the Carbon TCR, and feels like all power is going straight onto the road. and because of this feels like a light bike, which is great for hilly terrain.

The above statement from IShaggy sums it up nicely 'If you are a puncheur and every ride is a race, then the Aithein is a great choice'
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    The green ones don't seem to be available anywhere? :(

I can't afford it right now anyway. Definitley not. Stop looking at groupsets.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Considering selling my Boardman Carbon frameset and swapping to this...they do look lovely and it would be nice to have a change (for no real discernable reason)
  • Theo-saurus
    Theo-saurus Posts: 24
    Not ridden mine much this season, but I can tell you it handles brilliantly.
    Great round corners, smooth ride and great out the saddle. It's my race bike so I haven't done much easy riding on it. But as a race bike I think it's brilliant.