SPTDW125-660x440.jpg

SPTDW156-660x440.jpg

TDWsport.com
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    171000-RTR3LZSJ.jpg
    iainf72 wrote:
    Tough crowd. At Costa's age J-Rod had zero stage wins in the Tour. Costa has 3 (2 more than J-Rod)

Took him a while to come into his own and he was also squeaky clean in those dope fuelled years.
    Not everyone is a Contador, Sagan or Kwaitek.

Kramon_AmstelGoldRace2014_DSC5622-Version-2.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    CORVOS_00023094-077.jpg

Split his lip with the effort:
    Kramon_AmstelGoldRace2014_DSC5796-Version-2.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    So far this year J Rod has 1 stage and the GC at Catalunya.

Not exactly tearing it up himself.

You are aware of his rankings in the last few years right?
    He is 21st this year and he is just getting started. Watch him at Fleche and LBL then tear up the Giro, the Vuelta, the Worlds and Lombardia.

Yup. However what he has done previously and might do in the future is not really relevant.

J Rod hasn't done much so far this year. Costa has maybe been a bit unlucky with 5 second places.

Deriding him as somehow an unworthy champion seems a tad unfair
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    CORVOS_00023094-077.jpg

Look at him there. Sucking wheels as usual
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    I love the photo of Tony Martin wearily retrieving his bike from a bush. And G - "Oh no, not again" like a bowl of petunias...
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    tumblr_n4c8iyHkYg1qbw072o1_250.gif

It's good to see the rider's unashamedly enjoying a beer after the race. Has Cancellara started a new trend here? It will probably annoy the PC brigade but who cares.

DD.
    I think they've always been served an Amstel, it's the title sponsor after all.
  • frenchfighter

You are aware of his rankings in the last few years right?
    He is 21st this year and he is just getting started. Watch him at Fleche and LBL then tear up the Giro, the Vuelta, the Worlds and Lombardia.

Yup. However what he has done previously and might do in the future is not really relevant.

J Rod hasn't done much so far this year. Costa has maybe been a bit unlucky with 5 second places.

You mean other than winning a stage race and one stage? In a stage race that had Contador and Froome. On top of that, like I said, he is limbering up.
    Costa has some fire in him, I like him and he has some decent results but he doesnt hold a cigar to Purito.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Bottom line is it's Sport and not Sports Entertainment. So it's all about getting across the line first the best way for yourself.

Contador doesn't attack when and how he does because he wants to entertain it's because it gives him the best chance to win.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065

SPTDW156-660x440.jpg

TDWsport.com

Love that photo. Complete "Oh s@#t" moment for Gerrans.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Only Amstel can do this:
    SPTDW288-660x440.jpg

Nice stadium.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    FJS wrote:

It's good to see the rider's unashamedly enjoying a beer after the race. Has Cancellara started a new trend here? It will probably annoy the PC brigade but who cares.

DD.

I'd like to see the rest of this clip, where Pip puts the empty glass upside down on his head. :D
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    shazzz wrote:
    FJS wrote:

DD.

I'd like to see the rest of this clip, where Pip puts the empty glass upside down on his head. :D

:lol:

That's definitely a fail from Gerrans - can't even win the boat race.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,098

You are aware...Lombardia.

I agree. The worlds are a one day event at the very end of the season where the form books go out of the window. Look through the list of previous world champions and how many have carried the curse of the Rainbow Jersey. Also consider the number of 'greats' in the past who couldn't even be bothered to ride it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCI_Road_ ... _road_race

Costa won and is probably not living up to the expectations but Gilbert had a bad season by his standards following his win. I think wearing the colours and a white top makes you a marked man.

If you nail the thing, regardless of whether your worthy or not, then you nail it. I wonder given the lack of significant Portuguese cyclists, what they would think of Costa bashing? I bet you he is a hero back home.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    171000-RTR3LZSJ.jpg

I know some of you have a thing about not mixing family and competition, but from a dad's perspective that is a truly beautiful photo.
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    Sky's new bike for the ground loving Thomas.

$_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG

It is actually quite a bit of carbon kit going on.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    We are not even out of April yet and people are ripping Costa as an unworthy world champ? Seriously??
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    smithy21 wrote:
    We are not even out of April yet and people are ripping Costa as an unworthy world champ? Seriously??
    Especially as he was second in Paris - Nice. What did people expect from him?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    Nathan Earle of Sky had to ride the front yesterday, he is riding Fleche and he is riding LBL. Big miles on the front for a neo pro. Lets hope he does ok - supposed to be quite a talent and you dont want him breaking his knees or something before the tv cameras come on.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    joarodamgr14.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    I know some of you have a thing about not mixing family and competition, but from a dad's perspective that is a truly beautiful photo.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/04/paren ... d-cycling/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Don't know why people are so disappointed with Costa. It's not like he's been out the back all the time. He came 2nd in Paris-Nice and has been prominent in some stages/races.

Granted he's not in the same league as Purito but that's bike racing. He got the big win when it mattered.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Costa seems to be making more of a show of the rainbow jersey than Phil Gill did, he must be due a win soon.
  • Nathan Earle of Sky had to ride the front yesterday, he is riding Fleche and he is riding LBL. Big miles on the front for a neo pro. Lets hope he does ok - supposed to be quite a talent and you dont want him breaking his knees or something before the tv cameras come on.
    He's clearly good, but would say that there are a few better climbers in Australia atm.

Good to see him racing in the big races though.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    OK so stop being weird about the pic of Gilbert's wide and child please.

Back to road helmets, I really want a Specialized evade in my life.... but at £160 not sure I can justify it. How many seconds do you reckon it's worth on a club 10?

its faster than a prevail certainly, ventilation isn't quite as good, but it definitely feels more aero and i've beaten various timed segments with it on compared to with the prevail, its a great lid. Doing my first club 10 tonight so will advise on how i did after that.

Top result for Gilbert and good to see him and Vanenedert do well. Gutted for Kwiatowski, he seemed the hardest working of the 3 for the barely contested sprint at the end and had to put up with Valverde doing his usual self absorbed thing, at least Gerrans worked as best he could and got a good 3rd.

I have a feeling if rodriguez was there at the end we'd have seen a different result.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    smithy21 wrote:

Because some people seem to derive more pleasure in ripping riders than they do in celebrating good performances

Strange
  • frenchfighter
    Well that certainly is not me - as evidenced time and again. Particularly given when I was simply stating I would prefer JRod in the bands and that he is a significantly better rider. Oh well, people like to fight.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Also he suits certain courses better than others (not really news but...) and his support team at lampre is not a patch on Movistar. should come good around tour time or tour de suisse. thats when he usually peaks!
  • frenchfighter
    2014:0,8 km@6,3%---1:22---average speed 35.12 km/h(Philippe Gilbert)-RECORD
    2013:0,8 km@6,3%---1:27---average speed 33.10 km/h(Philippe Gilbert)
    2012:0,8 km@6,3%---1:25---average speed 33.88 km/h(Philippe Gilbert)-Road World Championships
    2012:0,8 km@6,3%---1:35---average speed 30.32 km/h(Davide Villella)-Road World Championships U23
    2012:0,8 km@6,3%---1:45---average speed 27.43 km/h(Marianne Vos)-Road World Championships Women
    2012:0,8 km@6,3%---1:33---average speed 30.97 km/h(Gasparotto-Vanendert-Sagan)
    2011:0,8 km@6,3%---1:26---average speed 33.49 km/h(Philippe Gilbert)
    2010:0,8 km@6,3%---1:31---average speed 31.65 km/h(Philippe Gilbert)
    2009:0,8 km@6,3%---1:41---average speed 28.51 km/h(Gilbert-Cunego-Kolobnev)
    ---1:43---average speed 27.96 km/h(Sergey Ivanov)
    2008:0,8 km@6,3%---1:33---average speed 30.97 km/h(Cunego-F.Schleck)
    2007:0,8 km@6,3%---1:46---average speed 27.17 km/h(Davide Rebellin)
    ---1:51---average speed 25.95 km/h(Stefan Schumacher)
    2006:0,8 km@6,3%---1:27---average speed 33.10 km/h(Matthias Kessler)-Tour de France,Stage 3
    2006:0,8 km@6,3%---1:47---average speed 26.92 km/h(Frank Schleck)
    2005:0,8 km@6,3%---1:33---average speed 30.97 km/h(Di Luca-Boogerd-Celestino)(source:https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily)
    2004:0,8 km@6,3%---1:56---average speed 24.83 km/h(Bettini-Di Luca-Van Petegem)
    ---2:10---average speed 22.15 km/h(Davide Rebellin)
    2003:0,8 km@6,3%---1:43---average speed 27.96 km/h(Boogerd-Di Luca-Rebellin-Kessler)
    ---2:13---average speed 21.65 km/h(Alexander Vinokourov)

http://www.climbing-records.com/

Gilbert sets the fastest time ever.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Interesting that he went even faster than in 2011 when he looked scarily fast.