Amstel Gold Race 2014 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    RichN95 wrote:
    josame wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    The podium is going to be Valverde, Gerrans & Kwiatkowski is some order or other.

er...
    I don't count Belgians, so I was bang on.
    Nobody counts Dutchmen anymore either - Mollema’s 7th place was the best Dutch result in the last 5 years.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    just got an air attack the other week great helmet. Love the look of the leather chin straps on the Kask
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    To be fair this race is the same each year no point watching before the cauberg the final time.

Last year was actually a great race to be honest. Well the last 20k's at least. But yeah today was pretty poor.

I honestly can't understand the mind set of a cyclist who sees his only chance of victory slowly dwindle just because he doesn't want anyone on his wheel.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    What helmet you buy?

I bought a Kask mojito. It matches my bike, OCD is an expensive habit.

I just bought a rudy project.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    What helmet you buy?

I bought a Kask mojito. It matches my bike, OCD is an expensive habit.

I just bought a rudy project.
    I got my Evade in white to match the club kit, now I need the Oakley's to match, another respray on the cards...
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    just got an air attack the other week great helmet. Love the look of the leather chin straps on the Kask

I'll let you know how the chin strap feels. I must say as well as the colour scheme that was an added selling point.
    Paul 8v wrote:
    now I need the Oakley's to match, another respray on the cards...

Oh shhh Paul, that's the one thing I will have that won't match now. I can't spend my holiday money on a pair of goggles...
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    Loving the helmet talk :)
  • Paul 8v

I'll let you know how the chin strap feels. I must say as well as the colour scheme that was an added selling point.
    Paul 8v wrote:

Oh shhh Paul, that's the one thing I will have that won't match now. I can't spend my holiday money on a pair of goggles...
    Custom shop in Maldon CC colours? It would be rude not to! The only thing that is allowed to not match is shoes. The should be as different as possible.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Shoes are just shiny white Bonts.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    Did anyone hear Kelly say "making the calculations" ?
    I watched from 80k and I never heard him say it once :shock: That has got to be some kind of record for him.
    Kwiatkowski taking out Tony Martin.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Waiting on Giro to put a speedplay sole on the empire might be waiting a long time
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • just got an air attack the other week great helmet. Love the look of the leather chin straps on the Kask

Paul 8v wrote:

I've just got myself a pair of Radarlock XLs, very impressed. Could do with another pair or two...
  • Paul 8v

Paul 8v wrote:

I've just got myself a pair of Radarlock XLs, very impressed. Could do with another pair or two...
    You can never have too many pairs.
  • Paul 8v
    I watched from 80k and I never heard him say it once :shock: That has got to be some kind of record for him.
    He did say "Tour of France" so I took that as a que to down my minging Amstel!
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Paul 8v wrote:
    He did say "Tour of France" so I took that as a que to down my minging Amstel!

UK Amstel is now officially shit session beer. Shame

OTC, good call on the Mojito. I love mine so much I even overlook the fact its a C(h)av special with WC stripes

Strava is not Zen.
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    Hello, followed this site which can be very entertaining at times. Thought I would chew the fat a bit.
    Thanks for your reply Paul. I'm sober :(
    I will have to mail eurosport and ask what the frack is going on
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    Great win for Gilbert. Love big ring climbs. Kwiatek - superb rider. 250ks and he was flying. Shame he had the worst dickhead wheel sucker on his wheel. Valverde has great form and should have made a move. Vanendert sneaky - doing his bit to save Lottos season.

So Gerrans, who did a couple of turns on the front, is a wheel sucker, but Valverde isn't, despite him not once putting his nose in the wind?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    I'm guessing that when there's more talk about helmet and sunglasses purchases than the result it's not a vintage race. I hope the other hilly classics make up for it but I doubt it.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    This was the kind of race that makes you realise that the season peaked a week ago.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I don't know what you buggers expect! Not every race is going to be a drama fest. Decent break, good chase, good finish with a proper attack by a proper racer to win it. That's not bad, is it?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I hope the JRod crash with Andy, resulting in both DNF, is not serious given LBL is his number one goal this season.
    andyp wrote:
    Great win for Gilbert. Love big ring climbs. Kwiatek - superb rider. 250ks and he was flying. Shame he had the worst dickhead wheel sucker on his wheel. Valverde has great form and should have made a move. Vanendert sneaky - doing his bit to save Lottos season.

So Gerrans, who did a couple of turns on the front, is a wheel sucker, but Valverde isn't, despite him not once putting his nose in the wind?

Yes yes well done, you must be over moon, your favourite rider: Simon non-shame Gerrans placed.
    Have you watched this season much? Know how many times Valverde attacked and showed some class and delighted the fans? Sure Mr Valverde knows how to ride wheels but he does the rest as well. Your Aussie is just an all out - i dont care if i lose, I only want to win if I can ride on greater riders coat tails - rider.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    I don't know what you buggers expect! Not every race is going to be a drama fest. Decent break, good chase, good finish with a proper attack by a proper racer to win it. That's not bad, is it?

Meanwhile in Soviet Russia.....

Oleg Tinkov ‏@olegtinkov · 1h
    @tinkoff_saxo had a merda race.I have ZERO tolerance to such a races and results. Shame on our sport directors. What there getting $$ for?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    40riders within 1min on a 250km course. Riders sure are getting soft these days. Soft pedal then sprint.

M Mathews placed highly - surprised me.

Glad I chose the right avatar.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Betancur bunnyhop after bad cornering:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V3oDuSmKoM
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Kwaitek only 23. What a heavyweight.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Gilbert's wife and kid:
    13950924534_0ed196d50e_b.jpg

1280px-Philippe_Gilbert,_2012_Road_World_Championships,_Cauberg.jpg

13950464975_9e8dee9a91_b.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    I need to find a video of the JRod crash to see what dickhead took him out potentially depriving fans of the best rider for LBL.

4-20-Rodriguez-645x440.jpg

“Purito definitely out. @PuritoRodriguez hit by other rider,” said his team’s press officer, Philippe Maertens, on Twitter.

“Too dizzy in head to continue. Too early to say something on coming races.”

Rodriguez himself tweeted later: “Thanks for the encouragement, here we are still in the hospital waiting for results. I hope it’s good news.” The team followed up with a note saying that X-rays found no fractures, though Rodriguez was bruised about the ribs.

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/04/ ... bMUt0VZ.99

Lightweight Dan Martin DNF

Geraint Thomas (Sky), who tweeted wryly: “Someone decided he wanted a wee and just turned 90 degrees right, nowhere to go, apart from the deck.”
    -Anyone know which idiot that was?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Lightweight Dan Martin DNF

Knee pain. Looking at the big picture apparently

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/04/ ... oad_324863
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    ^Always something with him. Very fragile. Good fun when he has it though.

--

Kwaitek:
    "I don't know why Alejandro didn't want to work. He didn't even pull one time. Gerrans was trying to help me catch Gilbert and even though it looked impossible we tried. We should have worked together and Alejandro didn't. Even if he had I don't think we would have caught Gilbert but Jelle Vanendert [who finished second] wouldn't have caught us if we'd worked."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited April 2014
    Gilbert's wife and kid:
    13950924534_0ed196d50e_b.jpg

So fit.

And the bird with the glasses is fine as well.