Porte out of Giro

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Luck of the draw.

S'all it is.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Right then stattos, what's the best placing for a rider that's ridden all three GTs in one season? Has anyone ever made the podium in all three?
    Are we including the particularly juiced years?
    I don't think anyone has podiumed all three in one year, juiced or not, have they?
    dish_dash wrote:
    Answer is no.
    Raphael Geminiani in 1955 closest: Giro 4th, Tour 6th, Vuelta 3rd.
    Also, Gastone Nencini in 1957 Giro 1st, Tour 6th, Vuelta 9th.
    Sastre the best performer across all three in the modern era:
    2006: Giro 43rd, Tour 4th, Vuelta 4th
    2010: Giro 8th, Tour 20th, Vuelta 8th
    Closest you'll get is Indurain:
    TdF 1991 1st
    Vuelta 1991 2nd
    Giro 1992 1st
    Split over 2 seasons but within 1 year ...
    Sastre also podiumed 1/3/3 in 2008/2009

It wasn’t really feasible to land on the podium of the three GTs in the same year until after the mid-1990s, when the Vuelta was re-scheduled from May to September and there became a gap of around 6 weeks between each GT. In earlier years, there was usually only a few days between last stage of the Vuelta and the first of the Giro (or occasionally even an overlap, the Giro starting before the Vuelta had finished), which obviously deterred (or prevented) riders from entering both - although the short gap between the two didn’t stop Merckx entering and winning both in 1973, with only 4 days rest between.

Before the Vuelta was rescheduled to September, there were the odd riders who managed to get on the podiums of all 3 GTs within a 12 month time span, by doing the Giro one year and the Vuelta the next, or vice versa, with the TdF inbetween, e.g. Merckx won the Giro and TdF in ’72 and then the Vuelta in ’73, and Hinault did the same trick in ’82-’83. Without looking it up, I’d guess there were other riders who took podium places in the 3 GTs in the same manner. Crankbrother has pointed out Indurain managing this, and perhaps so did Fuente, Fignon, Moser, or Rominger.

Contador managed to win the Giro and Vuelta in 2008 and the TdF in 2009, so the 3 GTs within 15 months.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador has won two GTs in a year (at a age most riders these days are bottle carrying and being preserved for greatness later on). He is racing the Tour and has said he is racing the Vuelta. He doesnt turn up to race for second. Lets hope he wins them both.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450

TdF 1991 1st
    Vuelta 1991 2nd
    Giro 1992 1st

Except the order then would have been Vuelta (in late April/early May), Tour (in July) then Giro (late May/early June), so not quite within one year.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Contador has won two GTs in a year (at a age most riders these days are bottle carrying and being preserved for greatness later on). He is racing the Tour and has said he is racing the Vuelta. He doesnt turn up to race for second. Lets hope he wins them both.

Contador gave the Giro/Tour double a heroic good effort in 2011. We were denied the opportunity to see what Wiggo could do with the challenge last year. It should be commonplace.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    If the Tour came before the Giro, with a decent gap, I think we'd see more doubling up as the top riders would be less worried about compromising their A race. It's less common with the vuelta because it is less prestigious and comes so late in the season. A June Tour and an August Giro would do it - would probably have to scrap the Vuelta though.

I'd like to see more riders take on a wider range of classics - punchy climbers with a sprint would be a threat at Flanders, MSR etc but a lot of them miss them - Valverde surely has the form to have been there at the finish on Sunday.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    andyp wrote:

TdF 1991 1st
    Vuelta 1991 2nd
    Giro 1992 1st

Except the order then would have been Vuelta (in late April/early May), Tour (in July) then Giro (late May/early June), so not quite within one year.

Apologies, never factored that in as the Vuelta has always been in Aug/Sept since Zi started watching ...

So only Sastre's 2008/2009 podiums stand then ... Even then not in one season ...
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    If the Tour came before the Giro, with a decent gap, I think we'd see more doubling up as the top riders would be less worried about compromising their A race. It's less common with the vuelta because it is less prestigious and comes so late in the season. A June Tour and an August Giro would do it - would probably have to scrap the Vuelta though.

I'd like to see more riders take on a wider range of classics - punchy climbers with a sprint would be a threat at Flanders, MSR etc but a lot of them miss them - Valverde surely has the form to have been there at the finish on Sunday.

If nothing else, surely Italy is too hot in August for a GT?

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    An excuse to do all 3 weeks in the northern mountains (not that the organisers need an excuse!).
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Gazzetta suggest Wiggins will ride and Sky and Wiggins deny:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/report- ... ro-ditalia
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ContrelaMontre
    I'd send Wiggins to the Giro. He'd be a good punt for a TT stage win as well as dragging the team around the TTT. If he could be in pink in Ireland that'd be great publicity. A 3 week race will mean he can get back in GT shape by losing weight and be on top form and fighting weight for the Tour.

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    I'd send Wiggins to the Giro. He'd be a good punt for a TT stage win as well as dragging the team around the TTT. If he could be in pink in Ireland that'd be great publicity. A 3 week race will mean he can get back in GT shape by losing weight and be on top form and fighting weight for the Tour.

Here's a question: apart from any other consideration re Wiggins and the Giro, name one rider who rode and finished last year's Giro who was in great shape for the Tour
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552

Here's a question: apart from any other consideration re Wiggins and the Giro, name one rider who rode and finished last year's Giro who was in great shape for the Tour

Nibali. His Tour went according to expectations.
  • Richmond Racer
    Joelsim wrote:

Nibali. His Tour went according to expectations.

Are you having a dyslexic episode? :wink:
  • ContrelaMontre

Adam Hansen?

It's a circular argument though. How many GT riders have gone into the Giro carrying extra weight using it to ride into form?

• Richmond Racer

Adam Hansen?

It's a circular argument though. How many GT riders have gone into the Giro carrying extra weight using it to ride into form?

I'd have to question whether Hansen had a great Tour. Was very quiet compared to his stage-winning Giro. And its a lot easier for a rouleur domestique to hide themselves in the bunch and the gruppetto most of the time.

But its all moot. Because BW's heading for California Dreamin' - which helps to keep 21st Century Fox happy.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    They should cut a week off the Vuelta and the Giro. There, I said it.
    15 dynamic stages over 16 days. Cut the flab out. All killer, no filler. It would make them more tempting for the Tour guys.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    15 dynamic stages over 16 days. Cut the flab out. All killer, no filler. It would make them more tempting for the Tour guys.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    RichN95 wrote:
    They are changing the Giro this year in that the time bonuses are being halved compared to the few last years (which I find a pity, but I imagine will please several of the posters here), while the points for the red and blue jerseys are also being altered by categorising the stages into 3 categories, differing categories carrying widely different numbers of points.

The last 5 years, 2013 excepted, the red jersey has been won by a main contender-climber but the new system will likely prevent this happening again.
    And the new system with the blue jersey will likely mean it goes to a main contender-climber, rather than (like in the last 4 years) to a rider who collects points by being in breaks up to the final climb like (a change which I also think a pity, but which I imagine will also likely please several forumites).
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

Cav?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Crankbrother

Cav?

He was a good bit off his usual pace by July ... He was beaten by several rivals so couldn't just be down to Kittell being on stellar form ...
  • tailwindhome

Cav?

He was a good bit off his usual pace by July ... He was beaten by several rivals so couldn't just be down to Kittell being on stellar form ...

He won the 2nd flat stage

Tough crowd :wink:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Crankbrother
    He still won two stages, but given the number of opportunities there were (and him having a full team at his disposal) it wasn't as convincing a Tour as previous ... Especially as he wasn't trying for Green, just the stage wins ...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    He still won two stages, but given the number of opportunities there were (and him having a full team at his disposal) it wasn't as convincing a Tour as previous ... Especially as he wasn't trying for Green, just the stage wins ...

When you consider he won 3 the year before, 2 isn't that big a change.
  • Richmond Racer

Cav?

He was still suffering lingering effects of the Giro and its crap weather, and was still on antibiotics by the time the Tour started....hardly in great shape
  • tailwindhome

Cav?

He was still suffering lingering effects of the Giro and its crap weather, and was still on antibiotics by the time the Tour started....hardly in great shape

Finished the Giro in 08 and 12 too.

Though 2013 was his best GC position - maybe he pushed himself too hard :lol:
  • Richmond Racer
    ^his new future - GT contender!
  • tailwindhome
    ^his new future - GT contender!

Maybe he has Bilharzia?

I know.....I know.....stand in the corner. :(
  • Richmond Racer
    its gone beyond that

Detention now
  • tailwindhome

Adam Hansen?

I'd have to question whether Hansen had a great Tour. Was very quiet compared to his stage-winning Giro. And its a lot easier for a rouleur domestique to hide themselves in the bunch and the gruppetto most of the time.

But its all moot. Because BW's heading for California Dreamin' - which helps to keep 21st Century Fox happy.

As an aside - just started reading Cav's At Speed - neither Cav nor Brian Holm wanted Hansen on the TDF team in 2010 (?) - thought he was too jittery and likely to crash. Which he did. On stage 1