Porte out of Giro

Comments

• Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I don't normally do any Brad bashing. But it's a disgrace that a rider on his salary can't take a GC leaders slot.

Last year he was talking about the Giro/Tour double.

You have a point but the alternative view is that Sky pretty much told Wiggins his GC days were over, he's swallowed it and put a bit of weight on to take on different goals, he can't do at and be ready to lead a GC challenge on the off chance he's needed.

He should be concentrating on the Hour record, he's British that's the sort of thing we do, it's our kudos.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • heavy_rat
    heavy_rat Posts: 264
    Joelsim wrote:
    How has this word 'pissed' come to feature in the English language?

With you on that one. What's wrong with a good ol' "f****d off"?
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    'Pissed' means drunk, dunnit.

Wiggins is good at being pissed, so it's obvious he can be pissed at the Giro

Why would Porte be 'pissed' about it ?
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    As usual, it descends into Wigginsw@nkerdom rather than focus on Porte and what he can achieve now his schedule has had to be altered ...

Maybe a tilt at the Vuelta, which is where SKY's other GT winners were blooded in earnest?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    As usual, it descends into Wigginsw@nkerdom rather than focus on Porte and what he can achieve now his schedule has had to be altered ...

Maybe a tilt at the Vuelta, which is where SKY's other GT winners were blooded in earnest?

Posters seem more interested in the Giro than in Porte.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Crankbrother

Not on this page, that's for sure ...

It was the same nonsense during RvV yesterday ... BW appears on the tv about 3 times and everyone has a spasm ... The dude didn't do anything that affected the outcome of the race, at all ...
  • As usual, it descends into Wigginsw@nkerdom rather than focus on Porte and what he can achieve now his schedule has had to be altered ...

Not on this page, that's for sure ...

It was the same nonsense during RvV yesterday ... BW appears on the tv about 3 times and everyone has a spasm ... The dude didn't do anything that affected the outcome of the race, at all ...

hang on, he dragged Thomas back up to the bunch twice after crashes, once when the racing was pretty full on.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • also, are you familiar with the concept of humour?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    So I wonder who takes the leader spot. A team with that much money should be able to field a serious contender for the win in all three GTs. I guess it will be a free for all with a handful of good riders. Will make it interesting.
    Money doesn't allow you to magic GT contender talent out of thin air!
  • tailwindhome
    curium wrote:
    So I wonder who takes the leader spot. A team with that much money should be able to field a serious contender for the win in all three GTs. I guess it will be a free for all with a handful of good riders. Will make it interesting.

Especially when you've spent it on riders who are all 'nearly' GT contenders.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Of the 19 ProTour teams last year, the following featured on the podiums of the 3 GTs:

Sky - won TdF and 2nd Giro - with 2 different riders
    Astana - won Giro and 2nd Vuelta with same rider
    RadioSchleck - won Vuelta, no podium Tour or Vuelta
    Movistar - 2nd Tour and 3rd Vuelta - with different riders

So Movistar the only other team to place 2 different riders on podiums

As for the Giro, who'd have predicted Uran for that 2nd place before the Giro started?

A bit of fark-wittery posting going on in 'outrage' that in absence of Porte, Sky don't appear to have a rider waiting 'et voila' in the wings who seems nailed on for the Giro podium.

No one's nailed on till the final stage.

And Movistar are the only team who seem to have a more than decent chance of winning one GT and getting podium in another.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    curium wrote:

There's also the minor fact that they were fielding a serious contender but he got ill and another possible option is out of action. Yet another possibility has been left in no doubt he is no longer being considered as a GT leader by the team and so has put his efforts into a different direction. How many teams can drop a reserve in a few weeks beforehand?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Just FYI, Porte wouldnt have won the Giro. He would have difficulty making the podium as well.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Just FYI Porte would have won every stage and the GC by 20 minutes. People can say anything when they know they won't be proved wrong :wink:
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    Pross wrote:
    Just FYI Porte would have won every stage and the GC by 20 minutes. People can say anything when they know they won't be proved wrong :wink:
    He'd have ridden every stage twice so he could take the second spot as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Crankbrother
    I agree with FF ... Like the Vuelta, there is too much unpredictability in who actually wants to race in the Giro making it harder to ride within 'parameters' ... Both of SKY's GT winners have found this out on more than one occasion ...
  • Richmond Racer
    Pross wrote:
    He'd have ridden every stage twice so he could take the second spot as well.

He'd have been EPIC

That is all.

:wink:
  • Pross
    I agree with FF ... Like the Vuelta, there is too much unpredictability in who actually wants to race in the Giro making it harder to ride within 'parameters' ... Both of SKY's GT winners have found this out on more than one occasion ...

I think the unpredictability is more down to the Giro being early in the season when no-one really knows form and the Vuelta is unpredictable due to the penchant for ridiculous climbs and the fact most of the contenders are knackered by that stage. A certain rider on his form of the previous year and with his team mates in the same form could have comfortably ridden last year's Giro within 'parameters'. OK, this isn't always the case as again there can be some seriously steep stuff thrown in but certainly last year was a controllable race and I suspect 2012 would have been too when you look at how it was won.

I would argue that this year's Tour looks like being unpredictable but for the right reasons - lots of riders looking like being in contention and no team being dominant. I hope it plays out that way but it could be some have hit top form early while others are tapering slowly and it turns into a one sided damp squib.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Just how much has Porte missed anyway? Seems a bit odd withdrawing him now, there's still time to get some fitness back and in a 3 week Tour some scope to ride yourself into it.

OK so he might not be 100% top form by the start but if he can get to 95% of his 2013 form that's probably better than any of the alternatives being floated. Conspiracy theory coming up - wonder if Sky are more concerned about Froome's back than they are letting on and want a plan B for the Tour - ok it's wild speculation I know but...?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Richmond Racer
    Just how much has Porte missed anyway? Seems a bit odd withdrawing him now, there's still time to get some fitness back and in a 3 week Tour some scope to ride yourself into it.

OK so he might not be 100% top form by the start but if he can get to 95% of his 2013 form that's probably better than any of the alternatives being floated. Conspiracy theory coming up - wonder if Sky are more concerned about Froome's back than they are letting on and want a plan B for the Tour - ok it's wild speculation I know but...?

There is that possibility - was musing this very thing meself on the way in, this morning

But anyways....

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/ric ... zqs6a.html
  • tailwindhome
    *dons tin foil hat*

Sky have known for a couple of weeks that Porte was unlikely to ride the Giro. That's why Wiggins has been preparing for Paris-Roubaix by doing a 'training block' riding up and down mountains.

Seriously though I think I'd put Wiggins in as team leader for the Giro. Go with the objective of having a good rattle at the TTT and Wiggins to target the stage 9 TT. Let the chips fall were they may after that. If he's no where on GC they can have a crack at a bit of stage hunting.

Downside - nothing really
    Upside - You might just put him in pink for a couple of stages.

Feel sorry for Porte. Seems a decent fella.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    The reason he is not riding the Giro is because SKY realise they will need to bring their AAA team to the Tour and have them totally rested given the best stage racer of the past generation is coming for the win and means business.
    I was really hoping for a great battle this Tour but I have a horrible feeling Froome is not going to be on song. Shame because as much as I dislike Contador I do love to see a good old battle on the hills.

Really hope Froome is in shape because the Tour will be a washout from a GC perspective otherwise I fear.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    And Movistar are the only team who seem to have a more than decent chance of winning one GT and getting podium in another.

This sport needs some serious revolvers. Three 'majors' (tours) a year, and the top draws in the sport can barely manage one of them a season without breaking down. It's anachronistic nonsense. We should be seeing 4 or 5 showdowns between top guys each season. Instead the best stage squad for last few years is scrambling to field a credible squad for the sport's second biggest race.

As for Porte, Quintana's Giro will turn out to be a good one to miss. Porte was never going to bluff Quintana in the mountains.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Richmond Racer
    Macaloon wrote:

This sport needs some serious revolvers. Three 'majors' (tours) a year, and the top draws in the sport can barely manage one of them a season without breaking down. It's anachronistic nonsense. We should be seeing 4 or 5 showdowns between top guys each season. Instead the best stage squad for last few years is scrambling to field a credible squad for the sport's second biggest race.

As for Porte, Quintana's Giro will turn out to be a good one to miss. Porte was never going to bluff Quintana in the mountains.

You say that Porte was never going to bluff Quintana in the mountains...so when you say 'scrambling to field a credible squad' you're acknowledging that their current no 2 best GC rider couldnt have beat Quintana...so what exactly do you mean by 'a credible squad'? Seems that no one's gonna be able to really take on Quintana, unless Purito is able to rock up enough sprints up final 400m and clocks up enough bonus secs.

This is Quintana. 2nd in last year's Tour as well as the KOM winner.

So who do you have in mind as being able to stand a serious chance of beating him except perhaps Purito?

This isnt a new phenonemon, teams mainly having just 1 rider who stands a realistic chance of winning GTs each year. Look at the past 3 years - only a handful of names figuring in the top 3 of the 3 GTs.
  • Crankbrother
    Porte has yet to fight for a GT properly, far less as designated leader ... His best effort was 7th, a few days in Pink and the White jersey at the Giro in 2010 ...

I don't know how much out of sorts he is but SKY must have their reasoning for not giving him the chance of gaining that experience ...
  • Macaloon
    You say that Porte was never going to bluff Quintana in the mountains...so when you say 'scrambling to field a credible squad' you're acknowledging that their current no 2 best GC rider couldnt have beat Quintana...so what exactly do you mean by 'a credible squad'? Seems that no one's gonna be able to really take on Quintana, unless Purito is able to rock up enough sprints up final 400m and clocks up enough bonus secs.

So who do you have in mind as being able to stand a serious chance of beating him except perhaps Purito?

This isnt a new phenonemon, teams mainly having just 1 rider who stands a realistic chance of winning GTs each year. Look at the past 3 years - only a handful of names figuring in the top 3 of the 3 GTs.

A 'credible squad' would compete for a podium (and by this definition Movi's Valverde punt is marginal). Any team that lost Uran, Wiggins, Henao and now Porte would suffer similarly. I'm not pointing at one team, more a sport that places such ridiculous demands on its participants that they barely participate.
  • frenchfighter
    Macaloon wrote:
    As for Porte, Quintana's Giro will turn out to be a good one to miss.

Speak for yourself - the Giro is the best GT of the year.

As for having Quintana as nailed on to win...this is the Giro not the Tour (sans Contador - his presence elevates it to another level albeit still below the Giro). No one would have predicted Hesjedal beat JRod. Anything can happen in this race.

ps. the 2nd half of this Giro route is mouth-wateringly good.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Macaloon wrote:

Don't forget Horner will be another year better...

There doesn't seem to be a massive number of challengers in the Giro this year, hence why I've had a cheeky few quid E/W on Arredondo at 150/1.

As far as the Tour is concerned, if Froome isn't at 100% then it will be Contador's.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon wrote:
    As for Porte, Quintana's Giro will turn out to be a good one to miss.

Speak for yourself - the Giro is the best GT of the year.

As for having Quintana as nailed on to win...this is the Giro not the Tour (sans Contador - his presence elevates it to another level albeit still below the Giro). No one would have predicted Hesjedal beat JRod. Anything can happen in this race.

ps. the 2nd half of this Giro route is mouth-wateringly good.

Easy tiger. I meant that from Porte's perspective, his first big chance to lead a GT squad will not now be doomed. Nothing against the Giro; but if you're the best GT of the year, maybe attract the best field next time. Eh?
  • frenchfighter
    Best for the fans not for the riders. Tour is about money so better in that respect for the riders. Agreed that he shouldnt be playing second fiddle on every GT.
    Contador is the Greatest