Porte out of Giro

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited April 2014 in Pro race
Sky confirm today, he won't ride the Giro and will focus on the tour. I imagine he is pissed, I would be majorly pissed, I am, I was looking forward to seeing him ride it as the leader.

He will ride Liege-Bastogne-Liege and I assume the Romandie with Froome.

Comments

• sjmclean wrote:
    Sky confirm today, he won't ride the Giro and will focus on the tour. I imagine he is pissed,.

Hang out with Wiggo long enough - it's inevitable
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    I assume the reason he isn't riding is that he won't be at the required level of fitness in time. In which case why would he be pissed? Frustrated maybe. Who is leading in his absence?
  • Anonymous
    Pross wrote:
    I assume the reason he isn't riding is that he won't be at the required level of fitness in time. In which case why would he be pissed? Frustrated maybe. Who is leading in his absence?

Yeah I thought that, maybe with Froome's injury as well they thought he might need a 100% fresh support fella.

No one yet, haven't announced the line up, it'll probably be out in two weeks.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Pross wrote:

Could get a few pages out of this with that question Pross.

Go for experience or give a golden opportunity to a younger rider??
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited April 2014
    sjmclean wrote:
    Sky confirm today, he won't ride the Giro and will focus on the tour. I imagine he is pissed, I would be majorly pissed, I am, I was looking forward to seeing him ride it as the leader.

He will ride Liege-Bastogne-Liege and I assume the Romandie with Froome.

Well, he was very down about having lost so many race days through gastroenteritus and the impact on his prep to be majorly competitive for the Giro win, in this interview with Rupert Guiness a couple of weeks ago

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/ric ... zqo09.html

Said he'd be making the decision with Kerrison and Brailsford

I had a sidebar convo with Guinness after the interview. He's got to know Porte over the last few years and said that Porte was pretty frustrated about his prep being so derailed, and that he didnt think he'd want to go to the Giro and not be able to really challenge for the win.

And so its all turned out.
  • Richmond Racer
    Pross wrote:

Cataldo. I'll put money on it.
  • Anonymous
    Pross wrote:

Caltaldo and Neive (sp), I'd think
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Pross wrote:

Kind of hope so.
  • Pross
    Feels like we had some kind of Mystic Meg moment and already discussed this a few weeks back :lol:
  • Richmond Racer
    Pross wrote:
    Feels like we had some kind of Mystic Meg moment and already discussed this a few weeks back :lol:

*flashback*
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Pross wrote:

Should go with Kennaugh. Or that other fella - whassisname - double-barrelled surname...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Richmond Racer
    sjmclean wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Caltaldo and Neive (sp), I'd think

Pretty certain they're still ring-fencing Nieve to support Froome in Jul. They need all the climbing support possible to defeat the Mordor of Bert and Tinki, especially with ? over whether they'll clear Sergio Henio to ride in time for him to find form by Jul.

Whereas Cataldo was always going to ride the Giro.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    The wheels are falling off the Sky stage racing bus.
    NOTA are capable of genuinely leading a GT team.
    They haven't got a top of the line sprinter. Swift?
    So, all on Kiriyenka to pull his solo stage stunt.

Worse still is the Spanish resurgence.
    So, all their eggs have to go into the TDF basket, but currently the chickens are all sickly.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Richmond Racer
    T'will give all the media a chance to fire the same level and volume of questions day in, day out, at Bert, Riis and Tinkoff during the Tour when Bert's in yellow.

Won't it?
  • Pross
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Should go with Kennaugh. Or that other fella - whassisname - double-barrelled surname...

Tiernan-Locke? :wink:
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Pross wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Tiernan-Locke? :wink:

That's the one...

Sorry :P
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Richmond Racer
    ^Oh, you're going straight to hell, you are
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    ^Oh, you're going straight to hell, you are

Not sure which is worse, Tiernan-Locke or Boassen Hagen...

Would love Li'l Pete to get the gig but he needs to head up a one weeker first (I suspect).
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    Of course, Wiggins is now looking in a bit better shape and has been riding mountains.... Porte now available for the Tour, which he wouldn't have ridden otherwise.

Just sayin'. Wouldn't put it past him to want to rock up a little undercooked and with no real pressure.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Richmond Racer
    Of course, Wiggins is now looking in a bit better shape and has been riding mountains.... Porte now available for the Tour, which he wouldn't have ridden otherwise.

Just sayin'. Wouldn't put it past him to want to rock up a little undercooked and with no real pressure.

Dont. Even. Think. About. It.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    I know they are a top team n'all but do they really have to mount a GC challenge?

Could they not ride for some stage wins (Swift, EBH and Thomas throughout the season have been at the sharp end at MSR, RVV and most things - respectively) of up and down stages. Coupled with Cataldo,Kiriyenka, Nieve who could drop into the pack and then have a punt in the mountains.

They could even gain a few favours for a team like OPQS (is Uran riding the Giro?) which could be handy if things blow up like last year in the TdF.
  • The Wiggins resurrection starts here!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    The Wiggins resurrection starts here!

The Modfather approves
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbU7oVz0Uq0
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Dont. Even. Think. About. It.

You. Know. It. Makes. Sense.
  • Richmond Racer
    edited April 2014
    Look. My nerves only recovered from last May, after an extensive and expensive stint at the Priory in Roehampton.

Be off with you and your appalling ideas.
  • The Wiggins resurrection starts here!

The Modfather approves
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbU7oVz0Uq0

Where to begin...

1. Ian Brown is King Monkey, not the Modfather
    2. Ian Brown is a Wire. It is therefore unlikely he would have much time for Wiggins who's a pie eater and a plastic one at that. [/M62 chippiness]
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    The reason he is not riding the Giro is because SKY realise they will need to bring their AAA team to the Tour and have them totally rested given the best stage racer of the past generation is coming for the win and means business.

So I wonder who takes the leader spot. A team with that much money should be able to field a serious contender for the win in all three GTs. I guess it will be a free for all with a handful of good riders. Will make it interesting.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    I don't normally do any Brad bashing. But it's a disgrace that a rider on his salary can't take a GC leaders slot.

Last year he was talking about the Giro/Tour double.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    How has this word 'pissed' come to feature in the English language? And 'cheater'?

The riders will be wearing 'uniforms' soon.

Un-awesome!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    I don't normally do any Brad bashing. But it's a disgrace that a rider on his salary can't take a GC leaders slot.

Last year he was talking about the Giro/Tour double.

You have a point but the alternative view is that Sky pretty much told Wiggins his GC days were over, he's swallowed it and put a bit of weight on to take on different goals, he can't do at and be ready to lead a GC challenge on the off chance he's needed.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]