Boardnan AiR 9.8

Comments

• gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    It's the internet, you could have any bike you wanted
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Jamez117 wrote:
    How'd you think i bought the boardman, venge, foil etc.

There's no evidence in your post history that you bought either a Venge or a Foil, or any other bike. There is a post of yours from Aug 2013 where you say that you would like to buy a Venge, but can't afford one though...
    Jamez117 wrote:
    Beautiful, iv wanted to build a venge up as my first serious road bike :lol: but i cant afford it as yet I've got a budget of around £3000 - £6000 ideally more like 4-5k but cant make my mind up on which bike will get me the best Performance for that budget :cry:
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited March 2014
    Jamez117 wrote:
    Jamez117 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    My bet is that you mostly likely are a fit chap, a gym kind of guy, but prone to exaggeration. Maybe some of the others are right though. Nothing seems to add up. What do you do for a living that allows you to cycle 80 miles a days a week for instance? I'm yet to see anyone who does 25,000 miles a day in all weathers who isn't built like a cyclist. You don't 'get' aerodynamics much it seems, that's for sure.

I dont work i came into some money not that long ago
    How'd you think i bought the boardman, venge, foil etc.

Earned it? It's not that hard to earn enough money to buy a few bikes, plenty of other people on here manage it.

Why didn't you address any of the other points in the post?
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Jamez117 wrote:
    No worries what you think is up to you
    But i can assure you the only reason im "not quite sure on the figures" is that this was just meant to be a quick thread on the new bike. Not a debate on its real world benefits so i rememered my little comparison test so thought id bring it up so you could judge for yourself the benefits of the 9.8 but as it was an afterthought i wasnt prepared for scrutiny as i diddnt have the figures to hand
    A couple of tips to help avoid these unfortunate misunderstandings:
    1. If you don't have facts, don't make them up.
    2. If you give specifics, expect people to be curious about their origin and validity
    3. If you give me fictional data so I can "judge for myself the benefits of the 9.8" well then I'm not really judging the 9.8 am I? I'm judging a lie, or if the lie is incompetent enough that I can spot it as it is in this case; then I'm judging you!

It was up to you what claims to make.
    No one asked you to provide figures. So saying it was just a quick thread to show us your new bike doesn't excuse anything. Is it even your bike. After all it looks too small for a medium to me. Do you want to go check in case you mis-remembered? Wait, now I'm being mean. I'll stop typing....
  • mfin
    Jamez117 wrote:
    Beautiful, iv wanted to build a venge up as my first serious road bike :lol: but i cant afford it as yet I've got a budget of around £3000 - £6000 ideally more like 4-5k but cant make my mind up on which bike will get me the best Performance for that budget :cry:

Ahhhh..... the quote above about wanting a Venge as your 'first serious road bike' was "Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:08 am", that's less 8 months ago, but now you're going through pairs of aero wheels 'two a penny' and doing 25,000 miles a year? Good on you.

Oh, and do you think what you wrote quoted above is the kind of thing an experienced track cyclist would write?
  • Jamez117
    Jamez117 Posts: 80
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Jamez117 wrote:
    No worries what you think is up to you
    But i can assure you the only reason im "not quite sure on the figures" is that this was just meant to be a quick thread on the new bike. Not a debate on its real world benefits so i rememered my little comparison test so thought id bring it up so you could judge for yourself the benefits of the 9.8 but as it was an afterthought i wasnt prepared for scrutiny as i diddnt have the figures to hand
    A couple of tips to help avoid these unfortunate misunderstandings:
    1. If you don't have facts, don't make them up.
    2. If you give specifics, expect people to be curious about their origin and validity
    3. If you give me fictional data so I can "judge for myself the benefits of the 9.8" well then I'm not really judging the 9.8 am I? I'm judging a lie, or if the lie is incompetent enough that I can spot it as it is in this case; then I'm judging you!

It was up to you what claims to make.
    No one asked you to provide figures. So saying it was just a quick thread to show us your new bike doesn't excuse anything. Is it even your bike. After all it looks too small for a medium to me. Do you want to go check in case you mis-remembered? Wait, now I'm being mean. I'll stop typing....

image_zpse8937edc.jpg
    Does this help
  • imposter2.0
    Pics of the Foil and Venge too pls? Then I'll shut up...
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Yes thank you that dpes help. I'll take that as a verified fact. How refreshing!
  • mfin
    Looks in good nick, how many miles has it done?

Lucky that pen isn't case sensitive.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    mfin wrote:

It's done 320 since this thread was opened...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • mfin
    NapoleonD wrote:
    mfin wrote:

It's done 320 since this thread was opened...

Don't exaggerate to make your point Nap, that would be ironic :) ...it's better at drawing z's than s's though, hence the jameZ bit. Experience which is down with the yoof.
  • napoleond
    4 days... 80 miles a day... :D
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Jamez117
    mfin wrote:

I know got fu***d off with the pen... It ran out maybe I should spend more money on pens and less money on bikes
    And its only 2 months old :)
  • Jamez117
    NapoleonD wrote:
    4 days... 80 miles a day... :D

Sunday is my rest day
  • napoleond
    When/where do you race on the track?
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Jamez117
    NapoleonD wrote:
    When/where do you race on the track?

I havent since i screwed my leg up but i used to go newport twice a week and manchester wen i could
  • imposter2.0
    No pics of the Foil and Venge..??
  • Jamez117
    Imposter wrote:
    No pics of the Foil and Venge..??

I only keep my training bike in my home the rest are in my unit get u some pics wen im next there
  • gavbarron
    But your home must be as big as your six pack. Could you not keep your bikes in the east wing?
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Just to revisit that Strava segment for a mo;

You said you were once top, so therefore you're in the list somewhere.

A betting man would say there's a James in your name somewhere.

So are you either a) No 30, David JaNes from Aug last year, 33.9km/h (on the flat)

or b) James Blackburn, No 69, from March last year, 31.6km/h ?

c) neither of the above, somewhere further down the list.

Neither speed is terribly impressive for an experienced track cyclist doing 6km flat out on the flat, but then I guess that was pre-Boardman Air?

And so if you allowed the Boardman to work it's aero magic, the KOM would easily be yours for the taking, right?
  • imposter2.0
    Hang on - it's April 1st....
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    This thread is excellent, and the bike isn't too bad either!
  • bernithebiker
    Surely this thread is too good to end here?!
  • mfin

What do you reckon then...

a) A lot of exaggeration, maybe just from over-enthusiasm, but never mind, some people do this
    b) Just trolling for some 'fun'
    c) All of it completely genuine

...it's all harmless anyway, it's only the internet and we're all allowed to like bikes at the end of the day!
  • bernithebiker
    mfin wrote:

What do you reckon then...

a) A lot of exaggeration, maybe just from over-enthusiasm, but never mind, some people do this
    b) Just trolling for some 'fun'
    c) All of it completely genuine

...it's all harmless anyway, it's only the internet and we're all allowed to like bikes at the end of the day!

i think a).

It's easy to get carried away when you get a nice new bike, and the joy of those 1st few rides makes you believe you're flying. I know, I've been there, done that!

And the marketing guff is so convincing these days, that you really can think you've just got 4 free mph!

Over a 6km flat out KOM hunt, I reckon that frame would increase my speed by about 0.5km/h tops.

Now must get back to working on my six pack, I'm at 4 and 1/2.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    If you read the Boardman bikes white paper for this frame you will find this at the bottom of page 12.
    The Air 9.8 frame will increase your average speed by 3.7mph on the bath to bitton stretch of the bristol - bath cycle track but only if no one is watching.

As far as I'm concerned this verifies all claims made.
  • Just stumbled on this thread and I've been laughing my a$$ off!

All these bikes and wheels he's had, all the track cycling he's done, the trains he's raced, the Strava segments he's KOM'd, the 25,000 miles a year.....yet he posted about his first serious road bike purchase just 8 months ago????

Love it :lol:
  • bernithebiker
    Each morning, my hopes are dashed when I check to see if James has returned with some clarifications.

I can but live with hope.

But every cloud has a silver lining, and with my new Boardman Air on order, I have lovingly filled out my Elite Cat registration form, safe in the knowledge that a 20% speed increase will soon be mine.......

Thanks for sharing your secret James!
  • gavbarron
    Finally finished building mine last night. Will take it out for a spin later, need to wait for traffic to die down a bit so that it doesn't get in my way as I have a feeling it's going to be a fast ride!
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Each morning, my hopes are dashed when I check to see if James has returned with some clarifications.

James is probably basking in the satisfaction of a job well done. That was very enjoyable. :lol: