napoleond Posts: 5,992
    The ones that are on there
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Jamez117
    Jamez117 Posts: 80
    NapoleonD wrote:
    The ones that are on there

Well the elites do perform well although they don't look the part but unfortunately they are a bit tight on my Camelback podium chills, It's genuinely difficult to get them in while riding :cry:
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Not a big Boardman fan - but that's as smarter one as I have seen...
  • Rod11
    Rod11 Posts: 293
    Jamez117 wrote:
    Still not sure what bottle cages to go with :?:
    If you want to splash some cash then get a pair of Arundel Mandibles, absolutely love them. If you shop around/keep and eye on sales you can sometimes pick them up a bit cheaper.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I would agree with Nap D, that you can't hope that some mystical aero effect of the frame and wheels will mean that the saddle bag doesn't cause drag. It 's a large surface area that is catching the wind, there's no getting away from that.

Also, why not just take a small puncture sealant can? I have tubs and that's what I do. It'll seal most punctures fine. If the hole is really bad, phone the wife.

Also, not sure why you think the Zipp 404's are so much better than the Mavics?

Nice looking bike though!
  • Jamez117
    I would agree with Nap D, that you can't hope that some mystical aero effect of the frame and wheels will mean that the saddle bag doesn't cause drag. It 's a large surface area that is catching the wind, there's no getting away from that.

Also, why not just take a small puncture sealant can? I have tubs and that's what I do. It'll seal most punctures fine. If the hole is really bad, phone the wife.

Also, not sure why you think the Zipp 404's are so much better than the Mavics?

Nice looking bike though!

Well in my experience the zipp's (firecrest) are superior in almost every respect. There are lighter, have far better quality bearings Plus they are more reliable (IMHO)
  • napoleond
    I take it you have the newest design hubs then :shock: How many miles have you done on them to say they are more reliable compared to miles you've put on the Mavics? What went wrong with your Mavics?
    I hated my Zipps. The bearing preload adjustment on the rear hub drove me insane!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Jamez117
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I take it you have the newest design hubs then :shock: How many miles have you done on them to say they are more reliable compared to miles you've put on the Mavics? What went wrong with your Mavics?
    I hated my Zipps. The bearing preload adjustment on the rear hub drove me insane!

Well i've probably done somewhere in the region of 20,000 miles on my mavic's before getting rid. So in comparison the new zipp's are fairly new to me I've probably done around 8,000 miles but I've owned at least three pairs of 404's over the past 2-3 years and never had any noteworthy problem's. But the new hubs are sublime whereas the Mavics clearly have cheaper bearings as they dont roll as well. And my Mavik's seem to have a rather unpleasant clicking/creaking sound from the front and even the local bike shop couldn't seem to figure out the problem... The brakes were excellent though :D
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    can't go wrong with some destickered planet x cages.
  • bernithebiker
    Jamez117 wrote:
    But the new hubs are sublime whereas the Mavics clearly have cheaper bearings as they dont roll as well.

I doubt it has anything to do with the cost of the bearings, more likely how much preload you have on them.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Jamez117 wrote:
    ....Mine rides like a dream. Its so stiff so its no slouch when the going gets a bit more... Vertical
    Plus its a speed demon on the flat, pulls another 4 mph from somewhere (compared to my cube)
    There's no way an aero frame and wheels is finding you an extra 4mph unless there was something seriously wrong with your Cube! Even more dubious if your Cube was equipped with simillar aero wheels which seems likely from your other posts (see below). How did you measure this? Same weather, same course, same fitness, same effort?
    Jamez117 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Well i've probably done somewhere in the region of 20,000 miles on my mavic's before getting rid. So in comparison the new zipp's are fairly new to me I've probably done around 8,000 miles but I've owned at least three pairs of 404's over the past 2-3 years and never had any noteworthy problem's. But the new hubs are sublime whereas the Mavics clearly have cheaper bearings as they dont roll as well. And my Mavik's seem to have a rather unpleasant clicking/creaking sound from the front and even the local bike shop couldn't seem to figure out the problem... The brakes were excellent though :D
    I'm not quite understanding this. If you've done 20,000 miles on your Mavics plus 8,000 miles on "new" Zipps but you've owned "at least" 3 pairs of 404s in the past 2-3 years then how much mileage are you actually doing?
    Are the Mavics several years old or is all of this mileage in the last 2 or 3 years?
    Why did you need so many sets of Zipp 404s if they're so reliable - lots of bikes?
  • bernithebiker
    Also, maybe I missed something, but which Mavics did you actually have? Tubulars?

Because you are comparing them to Zipp 404 tubulars, so unless the Mavics were tubulars, then you're comparing apples with oranges.

And 4mph extra? Please.
  • Jamez117
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Jamez117 wrote:
    ....Mine rides like a dream. Its so stiff so its no slouch when the going gets a bit more... Vertical
    Plus its a speed demon on the flat, pulls another 4 mph from somewhere (compared to my cube)
    There's no way an aero frame and wheels is finding you an extra 4mph unless there was something seriously wrong with your Cube! Even more dubious if your Cube was equipped with simillar aero wheels which seems likely from your other posts (see below). How did you measure this? Same weather, same course, same fitness, same effort?
    Jamez117 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

I'm not quite understanding this. If you've done 20,000 miles on your Mavics plus 8,000 miles on "new" Zipps but you've owned "at least" 3 pairs of 404s in the past 2-3 years then how much mileage are you actually doing?
    Are the Mavics several years old or is all of this mileage in the last 2 or 3 years?
    Why did you need so many sets of Zipp 404s if they're so reliable - lots of bikes?

Hi there, i do between 20 - 25K a year :P
    And yes i used the bath to bitton stretch of the bristol - bath cycle track (pretty much flat) and having started in bitton and done two runs each way 2 on the cube & 2 on the boardman (having warmed up for 30 mins on a turbo) my average was 3.7Mph higher on the boardman at an average of 135Bpm but I'm not sure what wheels I was using on the cube I think they were C24's.
    Ive had zipp 404's on my venge and my scott... So yh "lots of bikes" :)
  • Jamez117
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Jamez117 wrote:
    Jamez117 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Hi there, i do between 20 - 25K a year :P
    And yes i used the bath to bitton stretch of the bristol - bath cycle track (pretty much flat) and having started in bitton and done two runs each way 2 on the cube & 2 on the boardman (having warmed up for 30 mins on a turbo) my average was 3.7Mph higher on the boardman at an average of 135Bpm
    I'm not sure what wheels I had on my Cube I think they were C24's
    Iv'e had 404's on wy venge and my scott so yes "lots of bikes"
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Taking it you have a couple of days off it a week you must average 100 miles/5 hours cycling a day'-ish'? I'm surprised you choose to do most of this on aero-wheels?
  • Jamez117
    mfin wrote:
    Taking it you have a couple of days off it a week you must average 100 miles/5 hours cycling a day'-ish'? I'm surprised you choose to do most of this on aero-wheels?

I do around 80 miles a day 6 days a week :) with a few 100+ rides a month
    And yes i use 404's alot but i also use C24's and mavic R- SYS
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Jamez117 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

I do around 80 miles a day 6 days a week :)

Stuff that in bad weather! You don't do any more in the summer and less in the winter then? That's unusual.
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    Rather than start another thread I thought I'd add mine here too. Just a chain and pedals to add and steerer to trim and it's done.
  • Jamez117
    mfin wrote:
    Jamez117 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

I do around 80 miles a day 6 days a week :)

Stuff that in bad weather! You don't do any more in the summer and less in the winter then? That's unusual.

Yep rain, snow I'm out in it all. I completely shattered my foot ankle on my mtb so im just happy to be able to cycle again. So a bit of bad weather doesn't seem to faze me any more ;)
  • Jamez117
    gavbarron wrote:
    Rather than start another thread I thought I'd add mine here too. Just a chain and pedals to add and steerer to trim and it's done.

Nice build m8 im considering a new di2 build myself but i prefer red to ultegra di2
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Nap's right about the saddlebag. It looks like an F1 car towing a caravan.

The bike (minus the bag) is absolutely superb though. Forget the spare tub just make sure you've got your phone with you and call in a favour if you puncture.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • bernithebiker
    Jamez117 wrote:
    And yes i used the bath to bitton stretch of the bristol - bath cycle track (pretty much flat) and having started in bitton and done two runs each way 2 on the cube & 2 on the boardman (having warmed up for 30 mins on a turbo) my average was 3.7Mph higher on the boardman at an average of 135Bpm

So whereabouts are you on here then?

http://www.strava.com/segments/753461

(Just to get a feel for the kind of speeds we're talking about here)
  • Jamez117
    Jamez117 wrote:

I'm not sure but I think I led that leaderboard about a year and a bit ago but eventually I got fed up with Strava I press record on a ride and it didn't even start working.

Well 25.9mph is my PB on the 9.8 but that was a bet between me and a m8 that i could go from bitton to bath quicker than the train could get from keynsham to bath spa we both started at 12:51 (the time the train was supposed to leave keynsham but it was 3mins late so i had a bit of a head start there and I arrived at the end of the cycle track just as the train was slowing down for the station (so I won £200) :) Oh and im more of a track cyclist tbh i weigh almost 15st So believe me when I say lugging my weight around is no mean feat
  • bernithebiker
    Jamez117 wrote:
    Jamez117 wrote:

I'm not sure but I think I led that leaderboard about a year and a bit ago but eventually I got fed up with Strava I press record on a ride and it didn't even start working.

Well 25.9mph is my PB on the 9.8 but that was a bet between me and a m8 that i could go from bitton to bath quicker than the train could get from keynsham to bath spa we both started at 12:51 (the time the train was supposed to leave keynsham but it was 3mins late so i had a bit of a head start there and I arrived at the end of the cycle track just as the train was slowing down for the station (so I won £200) :) Oh and im more of a track cyclist tbh i weigh almost 15st So believe me when I say lugging my weight around is no mean feat

Cool!

So about a year and a bit ago the top speed would have been around about the 21.5mph, but now you're up to 26mph.

Is that all down to the Boardman do you think?

(I think you have a Garmin 810? It's a shame you don't use Strava anymore….)
  • Jamez117
    Jamez117 wrote:
    Jamez117 wrote:

Cool!

So about a year and a bit ago the top speed would have been around about the 21.5mph, but now you're up to 26mph.

Is that all down to the Boardman do you think?

(I think you have a Garmin 810? It's a shame you don't use Strava anymore….)

Yh its an 810 "i love it"

image_zps686e0415.jpg

The 9.8 has definitely made a significant difference i'd say as an all round figure about 3 -4mph
    ;)
  • napoleond
    I seriously doubt that a bike frame makes 3-4mph difference, everything else being equal. Thats more than the difference most people get from going from their training road bike to full on TT bike and aero kit over 10 miles.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • bernithebiker
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I seriously doubt that a bike frame makes 3-4mph difference, everything else being equal. Thats more than the difference most people get from going from their training road bike to full on TT bike and aero kit over 10 miles.

Contador only needs an extra 1 or 2km/h to beat Froome in this year's Tour.

Does he know about the Boardman Air? I hope so!
  • Jamez117
    NapoleonD wrote:

Well like I said 2 bikes, two completely different average speeds at the same heart rate so either I got a lot fitter very quickly (unlikely) or the bike made the difference although I'm sure there is some psychosomatic element ;)
  • napoleond
    Or an element of weather/traffic conditions mixed in with Internet bullsh!t? ;)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Jamez117
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Or an element of weather/traffic conditions mixed in with Internet bullsh!t? ;)

To be fair I don't remember seeing any traffic on the local cycle path. And as for whether it's an average