Boardnan AiR 9.8

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    edited March 2014
    Jamez117 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I seriously doubt that a bike frame makes 3-4mph difference, everything else being equal. Thats more than the difference most people get from going from their training road bike to full on TT bike and aero kit over 10 miles.

Well like I said 2 bikes, two completely different average speeds at the same heart rate so either I got a lot fitter very quickly (unlikely) or the bike made the difference although I'm sure there is some psychosomatic element ;)
    Aerodynamic drag is proportional to the square of your airspeed.
    At the sort of speeds you're claiming (around the 25mph area) aerodynamic drag will massively outweigh rolling resistance etc. So, all other things being equal (air pressure, humidity, etc) your coefficient of drag would need to reduce by something in the region of 40% to give you the speed increase you're claiming and that's not 40% reduction in frame drag or total bike drag but total bike+rider drag.
    Now, the bike is generally considered to be responsible for 20% or less of the total aero drag. You started with an aero wheel equipped bike as a baseline shall we say 18% of your total drag?
    Now you're knocking 40% off your total. That means your bike now be generating 22% of your total propulsion.

In summary. Your bike produces a significant amount of power. Kudos!

I don't know if the rest of your claims are accurate but I don't find the speed increase claim credible. If I've made a mistake feel free to point it out and I'll be happy to re-evaluate my views.

P.S.
    My figures above are based on prior speed of 21mph and new speed of 25mph. If you'd prefer me to use other figures let me know. I've assumed rolling resistance to be a minimal contributor at these speeds. I'm assuming your speed claims are based on similar near calm wind conditions - anything else is meaningless.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    So everything else the same? It must be the Internet Bulls!t then ;)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Jamez117
    Jamez117 Posts: 80
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Jamez117 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I seriously doubt that a bike frame makes 3-4mph difference, everything else being equal. Thats more than the difference most people get from going from their training road bike to full on TT bike and aero kit over 10 miles.

Well like I said 2 bikes, two completely different average speeds at the same heart rate so either I got a lot fitter very quickly (unlikely) or the bike made the difference although I'm sure there is some psychosomatic element ;)
    Aerodynamic drag is proportional to the square of your airspeed.
    At the sort of speeds you're claiming (around the 25mph area) aerodynamic drag will massively outweigh rolling resistance etc. So, all other things being equal (air pressure, humidity, etc) your coefficient of drag would need to reduce by something in the region of 40% to give you the speed increase you're claiming and that's not 40% reduction in frame drag or total bike drag but total bike+rider drag.
    Now, the bike is generally considered to be responsible for 20% or less of the total aero drag. You started with an aero wheel equipped bike as a baseline shall we say 18% of your total drag?
    Now you're knocking 40% off your total. That means your bike now be generating 22% of your total propulsion.

In summary. Your bike produces a significant amount of power. Kudos!

I don't know if the rest of your claims are accurate but I don't find the speed increase claim credible. If I've made a mistake feel free to point it out and I'll be happy to re-evaluate my views.

P.S.
    My figures above are based on prior speed of 21mph and new speed of 25mph. If you'd prefer me to use other figures let me know. I've assumed rolling resistance to be a minimal contributor at these speeds. I'm assuming your speed claims are based on similar near calm wind conditions - anything else is meaningless.

Well as I said earlier I'm not sure what wheels I was running on the cube at the time I think they were C24's (so not particularly aerodynamic wheels). I must admit wind conditions are a very important factor especially on the section of the cycle track on which I tested these two bikes, that area does have a tendency to funnel air down the track which can manifest itself into a substantial headwind. Plus about two thirds of the way to bitton there is a point of the cycle track where for about 150 yards it's completely open with very flat ground either side couple that with a small bank either side of the track any wind in that area can generate a significant lateral squall. As for the test in question these figures are off the top of my head same clothes there may have been a slight difference in wind speed but nothing particularly noteworthy other than that everything was the same, same track, roughly the same weather same clothes inc. a Kask Bambino but I will try and find the real figures just to confirm what I'm saying :roll:
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Jamez117 wrote:
    but I will try and find the real figures just to confirm what I'm saying :roll:

That's an excellent idea!

By the way, you're 15 stone, and that's a Small or XS frame? Is it the right size?
  • napoleond
    Real world figures are 4% reduction in overall drag according to boardman compared to their last aero frame.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Jamez117
    Jamez117 wrote:

By the way, you're 15 stone, and that's a Small or XS frame? Is it the right size?

The frame size is medium, Plus my weight is 14 stone 6 pounds as of today and 5ft9" :D... And 28 inch thigh circumference
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Jamez117 wrote:
    Jamez117 wrote:

The frame size is medium, Plus my weight is 14 stone 6 pounds as of today and 5ft9" :D... And 28 inch thigh circumference

Hang on a sec - you ride 80 miles a day and you're still about three stone over weight? And despite this, you can still hit amazing speeds on the bike?

I gotta get me one of them Boardmans....
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    And 28" thigh circumference?!?! Chris Hoy is 27" so you have very big thighs (assuming it's not pie based)
  • bernithebiker
    Imposter wrote:
    Jamez117 wrote:
    Jamez117 wrote:

Hang on a sec - you ride 80 miles a day and you're still about three stone over weight? And despite this, you can still hit amazing speeds on the bike?

I gotta get me one of them Boardmans....

Hey, get in the queue pal!!

With an extra 6km/h I'm gonna rake in those KOM's!!
  • Jamez117
    edited June 2014
    gavbarron wrote:
    And 28" thigh circumference?!?! Chris Hoy is 27" so you have very big thighs (assuming it's not pie based)

As i said I'm a track cyclist really but there's certainly no fat on me
  • bernithebiker
    Something like this?

I reckon if you lay off the weights, reduce muscle and get more aero, you'll be up to 30mph. At least.
  • gavbarron
    Well chapeau, he's the same weight as you but 6'1" so you must be built like a rhino which is impressive when you are able to carry that bulk at such speeds over rolling terrain
  • Jamez117
    Something like this?

I reckon if you lay off the weights, reduce muscle and get more aero, you'll be up to 30mph. At least.

Not quite :wink:

I must admit always been a bit body conscious looking at cyclist such as Bradley Wiggins honestly makes me feel sick playing your ribs like xylophone isn't something anyone should ever aspire to do :D. I don't think I could ever give up my six pack

I've lost count of the amount of Times people of said the exact same thing but I do do a lot of work on my thighs and as far as I'm concerned it's really impossible to build serious strength in your thighs without strengthening your core, arms etc. I can lift more than 240Kg in squat.

To be honest it's probably the reason I've never done any serious competition such as triathlons etc I've always been worried that my weight will count against me despite the average speeds I have achieved
  • Jamez117
    gavbarron wrote:
    Well chapeau, he's the same weight as you but 6'1" so you must be built like a rhino which is impressive when you are able to carry that bulk at such speeds over rolling terrain

Cheers :)
  • imposter2.0
    Jamez117 wrote:
    To be honest it's probably the reason I've never done any serious competition such as triathlons etc I've always been worried that my weight will count against me despite the average speeds I have achieved

Presumably you ride track events though, right? If you're in Bristol area, you must be at Newport a fair bit?
  • Jamez117
    Imposter wrote:
    Jamez117 wrote:

Presumably you ride track events though, right? If you're in Bristol area, you must be at Newport a fair bit?

I used to but not since my injury :(
  • Jamez117
    Something like this?

I have recently been toying with the idea of losing a stone but I'm not sure how that would affect my performance?
  • imposter2.0
    Jamez117 wrote:
    Something like this?

I have recently been toying with the idea of losing a stone but I'm not sure how that would affect my performance?

You could probably lose a stone from your 18in biceps without adversely impacting your performance, I would have thought...
  • bernithebiker
    Jamez117 wrote:
    Something like this?

I think in your case, the usual 80/20 rule of rider/bike drag is probably more like 90/10.

Which makes the Boardman Air's improvements even more impressive. Have you given Chris the good news yet?
  • bobbydazzla
    bobbydazzla Posts: 289
    Cycling at least 80 miles a day, going to the gym to work on those massive thighs and biceps, owning a large stable of fancy bikes and components, racing trains on your bike and also presumably spending a lot of time eating in order to maintain that 15 stone physique whilst riding so many miles.

I'm surprised you have enough spare time left to type shite on an internet bike forum.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Based on the apparent difficulties remembering earlier impressive figures which did not stand up to scrutiny, I'm sure you'll forgive me finding the rest a little amusing. There's not a typical figure in sight from your massive mileage to your impressive squat lift ability, your previous leadership of strava segments and surprising dimensions. Oh and well done on the six pack too by the way.
    You seem a truly unusual and exceptional guy!
    Of course it's possible that you're being completely straight with us and it's just coincidence that the only disprovable claim you made happens to be the only one that doesn't stand up to scrutiny. However I'm going to remain more than a little sceptical.
  • Jamez117
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Based on the apparent difficulties remembering earlier impressive figures which did not stand up to scrutiny, I'm sure you'll forgive me finding the rest a little amusing. There's not a typical figure in sight from your massive mileage to your impressive squat lift ability, your previous leadership of strava segments and surprising dimensions. Oh and well done on the six pack too by the way.
    You seem a truly unusual and exceptional guy!
    Of course it's possible that you're being completely straight with us and it's just coincidence that the only disprovable claim you made happens to be the only one that doesn't stand up to scrutiny. However I'm going to remain more than a little sceptical.

No worries what you think is up to you
    But i can assure you the only reason im "not quite sure on the figures" is that this was just meant to be a quick thread on the new bike. Not a debate on its real world benefits so i rememered my little comparison test so thought id bring it up so you could judge for yourself the benefits of the 9.8 but as it was an afterthought i wasnt prepared for scrutiny as i diddnt have the figures to hand
  • imposter2.0
    You're sure about your height/weight though..?
  • bernithebiker
    And a photo to ascertain the validity of the six pack?

Might it be just a five pack perhaps?
  • napoleond
    edited March 2014
    This must be a troll heh heh!

Edit: you're not Jamie Staff are you? Although he doesn't ride 80 miles a day, in fact most track sprinters will do a couple of hours at a very easy pace at most.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • gavbarron
    NapoleonD wrote:
    This must be a troll

A muscly troll
  • Jamez117
    Imposter wrote:
    You're sure about your height/weight though..?

Im 5,9" but my weight does fluctuate between 14 & 14, 7
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    My bet is that you mostly likely are a fit chap, a gym kind of guy, but prone to exaggeration. Maybe some of the others are right though. Nothing seems to add up. What do you do for a living that allows you to cycle 80 miles a days a week for instance? I'm yet to see anyone who does 25,000 miles a day in all weathers who isn't built like a cyclist. You don't 'get' aerodynamics much it seems, that's for sure.
  • Jamez117
    mfin wrote:
    My bet is that you mostly likely are a fit chap, a gym kind of guy, but prone to exaggeration. Maybe some of the others are right though. Nothing seems to add up. What do you do for a living that allows you to cycle 80 miles a days a week for instance? I'm yet to see anyone who does 25,000 miles a day in all weathers who isn't built like a cyclist. You don't 'get' aerodynamics much it seems, that's for sure.

I dont work i came into some money not that long ago
  • Jamez117
    Jamez117 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

I dont work i came into some money not that long ago
    How'd you think i bought the boardman, venge, foil etc.