E3 2014 **Spoiler**

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    okgo wrote:
    I would think he'd have been counter attacked by cancellara had he been there.

Geraint as much as admire his ride today doesn't seem to have what you need to win a race like today. No sprint, unlikely strong enough to ride 15k solo at high enough pace to hold off bunch. Just cannot see how he can win one of these. Especially given the fields these races attract.

I would have said the same about Stannard until a few weeks ago. Stannard got a lucky break, that's all G needs.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Just watched the race on Eurosport. Awesome power from Cancellara and great commitment from Devolder. You could tell just how desperate the front group was when Fabu got caught in the crash. They knew it was pretty much their only chance.

I don't think Geraint chose the best tactic at the end there, but Sagan was probably always going to win.
    Pete's a Roubaix virgin though to remains to see how he fares. (Probably fine)

Not quite.

2010: DNF
    2011: 86

Although he has obviously become a better rider since 2010/11.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Hi-res of the main crash that split the peloton if you want to try and pick out riders. Devolder right at the back, Cancellara right at the front
    https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2903/134 ... 8d9d_o.jpg
    In this shot you can see Geraint just missed it (or got very quickly back up):
    http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/file ... W124-4.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    13473642093_4db229a959_h_zpsac606b36.jpg

SPTDW121-3_zpsf5015416.jpg

SPTDW107-4_zps28067f11.jpg

Lunge for the line, Fabu tongue out again:
    13473541195_0fd0498e92_h.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    ^ Thanks for the pics. On Fabian - Shoddy team support for a legend. Abandon him to chase back solo, then flog him to sprint for your 5th place UCI points.

Sagan doing it on his own is fine while he builds a career. Put Cancellara in Boonen's slot and he'd never lose a race.

Edit - Completely forgot about Devolder :oops: Leaving it here as a reminder not to be a moron
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    Macaloon wrote:
    Put Cancellara in Boonen's slot and he'd never lose a race.

It's interesting that I have never heard Quickstep/Cancellara talk. I wonder whether QuickStep dont want him because he is not Belgian or Cancellara doesn't want to ride for them.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I saw an interview with both Boonen and Cancellara (Probably on here) and they seem to have mutual respect for each other.

Devolder did race his nuts off for Fabian, did the other Trek guys get caught in the crash?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    tumblr_n35sfvD0go1qbw072o1_1280.jpg

Sporza
    via Cyclocosm
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    not sure there would be any point in the classics if fabian rode for OPQS they would steamroll everyone. I am surprised BMC never signed him, surely they must have tried and not like to don't have the budget
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Surprised you lot aren't talking how weak Boonen was, especially all this OPQS chat.

They won't win a thing without a strong Boonen. FACT.
  • frenchfighter
    Eh? Terpstra won DWD and Boonen won KBK. B and T bossed Qatar. Boonen has been flying this year before he had mental anguish and disruption in training. He will be back.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Surprised you lot aren't talking how weak Boonen was, especially all this OPQS chat.

I don't think he was weak, his form was just slightly off. Just needs a couple more chippers in his legs and he'll be fine.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    He has also had a lot to deal with recently in his personal life, that must have affected him.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856

Relax.

He looked pretty good at the start of the year and he will have needed this weekend both physically and mentally.

Although I personally think Cancellara is fundamentally a better rider at this point in their careers, the team Boonen has is quite capable of turning over Cancellara.

Even if Boonen isn't quite up to it over the next two weeks, Stybar is definitely capable of winning Roubaix.
  • Hate to blow my own trumpet, but as i said for a while now, Thomas will never win anything of significant value.

E3 proved that.

Sorry Richmond Racer! :cry:
  • frenchfighter
    After the line:
    tumblr_n37lu1jyBO1r4o0yso1_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    quick question (ignorant) about the attacks in the final 6km; when they attack why do they swerve across the road so much, the first I could understand as for putting distance and removing the draft, but the 3rd/4th I don't quite get.

Did stay glued to the last 30km and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cheers
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hate to blow my own trumpet, but as i said for a while now, Thomas will never win anything of significant value.

E3 proved that.

I actually think this proved he will win something significant. With a bit of smarts he wouldn't have taken so many pulls and would have been fresher, he dropped sagan on the climb, so maybe with another bump at the end he would have won.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    sa0u823e wrote:
    quick question (ignorant) about the attacks in the final 6km; when they attack why do they swerve across the road so much, the first I could understand as for putting distance and removing the draft, but the 3rd/4th I don't quite get.

Did stay glued to the last 30km and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cheers

You want to ride on either one side of the road or the other so you only have to look over one shoulder to see what is happening behind you.

When you attack you swerve over to the other side of the road to ensure no-one's following your wheel. Vandenbergh was also attacking just as they were passing traffic islands to make it harder for people to follow his wheel.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    It's also a bit harder to follow the slipstream
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Hate to blow my own trumpet, but as i said for a while now, Thomas will never win anything of significant

It will either happen very soon for G or not at all. He reminds me of Etiene de Wilde in the 1980s, or Kelly before his big break through at Lombardy in 1983. G is visible at the front of every race that he rides. Ifvanthing he is too visible, in contrast with say Cav, who you never see until it matters. IMO G will make his big breakthrough soon and, like Kelly, once he starts winning big he won't stop.
  • frenchfighter
    Gruber was there and put out another set of amazing photos.

13534542445_6e1306ee19_c.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    mm1 wrote:
    Etiene de Wilde.

Can't read that name without thinking of the theme song for Bob the Builder
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Hate to blow my own trumpet, but as i said for a while now, Thomas will never win anything of significant value.

E3 proved that.

Hey, if he wins a big race, great. If he doesn't, he doesn't...*shrugs*
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

E3 proved that.

You'll have to explain this one to me; how on earth does a rider finishing 3rd in one race prove that he will "never win anything of significant value"??? :roll:
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Because arguably he was in the best position he could have been to do so and came 3rd of 4....
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    E3 proved that.
    Was it you that said Stannard would never win any race of value. ?
    Well it was nice to get back to European Racing and the surprise-enjoyment of Stannard winning Het Nieuwsblad.

You never know, there could be more. :)
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • frenchfighter
    E3_2014.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    This...I agree very odd (as is his stomach!)
    race-poster.jpg

e3girls.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest