Carlton Kirby

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,401
    Coming up for six years, 27 pages, over 800 posts, nearly 65k views.... and you're still all banging on about him.
    You could have learned Danish in that time and got some proper commentary

Incidentally, the Danish model seems to be one commentator, plus two experts, plus sometimes another expert on a moto with the race. In the quiet bits, the commentator starts a discussion with the two experts. This is how I got to hear Chris Anker and Rolf Sørensen discussing the difficulties of peeing while riding - including the question of whether they could do this skill on either side (they couldn't).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,350
    sherer said:

m.r.m. said:

Isn't there already a massive petition against him on Eurosport? Doubt it is possible to get rid of him. There is no hope. None.

You mean by Eurosport employees or do they have a forum ?

He's not great but dont think he should be hounded out of his job. Would just prefer Eurosport used him on some other sports, although not motor racing as I watch that too
    Actually it's just this one. I remembered it wrongly.

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/get-rid-of-carlton-kirby
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368

He's not that bad and as long as Ned Boulting is in a commentary job he isn't even the worst. Actually thought Gerrans was the weak link of the pairing but he gets a pass for being new to it.

Hmm, don't really agree there. But Boulting is less ever-present if you watch a lot of Eurosport so maybe he's just not got to me yet.
    ITV have got Boulting doing darts commentary now as well...thats even harder than cycling to get right because the good commentators can do the split second mental arithmetic and call the shot the player will make before it happens,and tell you why normally immediately afterwards, ie its their favourite shot, or the angle was better because of how the other darts went etc, even tell you why a players darts might keep missing where they aimed for, else it just becomes you shouting at a microphone announcing numbers like you are a bingo caller and repeating stats.

as for Kirby well arent these the first Summer olympics of the Eurosport/Discovery deal ? how much of all the cycling this year will he be able to cover anyway.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    awavey said:

He's not that bad and as long as Ned Boulting is in a commentary job he isn't even the worst. Actually thought Gerrans was the weak link of the pairing but he gets a pass for being new to it.

Hmm, don't really agree there. But Boulting is less ever-present if you watch a lot of Eurosport so maybe he's just not got to me yet.
    ITV have got Boulting doing darts commentary now as well...thats even harder than cycling to get right because the good commentators can do the split second mental arithmetic and call the shot the player will make before it happens,and tell you why normally immediately afterwards, ie its their favourite shot, or the angle was better because of how the other darts went etc, even tell you why a players darts might keep missing where they aimed for, else it just becomes you shouting at a microphone announcing numbers like you are a bingo caller and repeating stats.

as for Kirby well arent these the first Summer olympics of the Eurosport/Discovery deal ? how much of all the cycling this year will he be able to cover anyway.
    Well if they're using Boulting for darts that sounds like my issue with Kirby for cycling - he doesn't seem to know what he is talking about.

I don't really mind his cycling commentary, I find him to be a lot more measured than Kirby. But as above, unless you only watch ITV broadcast races you only come across him in relative moderation.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,918

awavey said:

Well if they're using Boulting for darts that sounds like my issue with Kirby for cycling - he doesn't seem to know what he is talking about.

I don't really mind his cycling commentary, I find him to be a lot more measured than Kirby. But as above, unless you only watch ITV broadcast races you only come across him in relative moderation.
    He knows his stuff and he's more accurate than not (and seems to care if he isn't), so i can't complain too much.

He would also benefit a lot from speaking less. He's switched on and he should give his mind a little more time to think as the quality would be much improved.

I sort of feel with him, the mechanics of picking a topic and just rushing into it because they're running out of things to say is really clear to hear.

When he's on podcasts and things he often has an interesting, more cerebral take, so he has it in him. It can get breathless very quickly with him.
  • rick_chasey
    An interesting insight (via rugby) on what commentators are hearing through their headphones when they're commentating.

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,401

An interesting insight (via rugby) on what commentators are hearing through their headphones when they're commentating.

I think if I was commentating all I'd be do was scream "SHUT THE F*** UP!" repeatedly.

I'm assuming Carlton's producers have a sweepstake on who can feed him the most unlikely false rider identification.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    I think Carlton hears those voices and more, even when he's not wearing headphones...
  • rick_chasey
    So one thing I've noticed when listening quite closely to Belgian commentary is they spend much more time talking about the individuals and their decision making rather than the team; this is massively helped by the fact they know every rider, not just their name, but what they're like etc etc.

So they're not just commentating on who's winning the race, but also who's having a good ride and who isn't, etc etc.
  • Amazed at what I have read.
    Personally I find him quite entertaining and it cannot be easy commentating on a, say, 4 hour race, when most of the time they are just rolling along.
    But to actually go to the length of setting up a petition to have the man ousted from his job, that's taking things a little to far.

I would hate to bump into you on a train or a pub, as you would no doubt, bleat on and on about the man, as you probably already spend your life, boring all around you your paranoia.

But remember the show bizz saying, all publicity is good, even the bad publicity.

Build a Bridge mate and get over it, before Calton gives you a heart attack.

I bet Kirby would be good crack to have a beer with, you on the other hand, i have already mentioned.

A Petition, incredable..
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,744
    Now then, who is this new joiner, bot style id, first post on this months old topic?
  • One can only assume that with it being the rest day today a bored Carlton Kirby googled his own name, came across this thread, didn't like what he saw and made up a username.
  • One can only assume that with it being the rest day today a bored Carlton Kirby googled his own name, came across this thread, didn't like what he saw and made up a username.

He wouldn't need to google himself - he would just imagine the conversations people were having about him, then dress that up as 'reading the thought bubbles'
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    If he just halved his output so that he didn't either a) repeat himself or b) contradict himself he'd be more entertaining to listen to. In most regards it's the "well, yes" from Sean K that grates for me.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,043
    I had to listen to Rob Hatch a couple of times during the Giro due to missing the equipetv coverage. How can you guys stand these people all the time?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • davidof said:

I had to listen to Rob Hatch a couple of times during the Giro due to missing the equipetv coverage. How can you guys stand these people all the time?

Not sure, Hatch is slowly becoming more Kirbyesque. Maybe Eurosport pay them by the word?
  • Hatch's need to repeat statements really grates now

"and Nibali is dropped. AND NIBALI IS DROPPED" etc

He even managed the hat-trick at one point in the Giro
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,898
    edited November 2020
    Is this Dan Lloyd's way of pointing out Carlton's shortcomings?

I can't imagine for one second Kirby does any of this.
    At least that is the impression I constantly get from his....................er.................commentary.
    I'm not even sure he watches the race when he is commentating.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    well sometimes commentators get excited at key points of the race. theyre possibly not the super cool professionals that some of you are. I'd rather have excitment being relayed than the boring monosolabic self congratulatory grunts that I imagine would be issued here.

ooo oooo where's the block button when you need it.

Babys and starting a petition to get someone fired is pathetic.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    It's been the same complaint for some time, but he isn't going anywhere.

I don't mind him myself but I can see why others may find him hard work.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • I think he seems like a thoroughly nice chap.

Who has drunk way too much coffee.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Is this Dan Lloyd's way of pointing out Carlton's shortcomings?

I can't imagine for one second Kirby does any of this.
    At least that is the impression I constantly get from his....................er.................commentary.
    I'm not even sure he watches the race when he is commentating.
    There was a moment yesterday where not much was happening, CK was out, and Lloyd and Kelly had a tech chat about gear ratios comparing to when Kelly was riding. Then they went on to talk about use of sponsors vs unbranded kit, with Kelly pointing out that smaller teams often have no choice but to use sponsor kit etc.. And I found out that Lloyd rode for Kelly's team at one point which I didn't know before, via a moderately diverting anecdote about a bad batch of tyres they got from the sponsors one year.

For me it was honestly bliss compared to what would have happened if Kirby had been in the room - there was nothing happening in the race so he probably would have been going on about his sandwiches, or making up conversations between riders in the peloton.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    has this been the funniest Vuelta on record ? Seems every time I tune in CK is laughing, usually at something he has said that isnt even funny.

It's not an easy job, but im getting fed up is hearing him laughing all the time
  • He's made it onto accidental partridge at least twice this race.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,172

He's made it onto accidental partridge at least twice this race.

Kirby doesn't get onto Accidental Partridge; Partridge gets onto Accidental Kirby
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • All you haters probably didn't listen to his podcast !

I did giggle when he dropped a sneaky Duran Duran reference in the other day.
  • I actually listened to the French commentators yesterday, I've had enough of CK now

The way the French pronounce "Dyon Smiss" made me chuckle tho. Similar when they called the 2011 Tour winner "Cadelly Vans"
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 17,055
    There is no way they cant find someone else ...there is a slew of ex riders to fill in ...yeah I know for some reason you have a no rider with rider combo... But come on .. adam blyth would be hilarious with a more sedate gcn character
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • All you haters probably didn't listen to his podcast !

I did giggle when he dropped a sneaky Duran Duran reference in the other day.

I'm still catching up on the fingernails down a blackboard podcast.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    I really struggle to listen to him. All the little puns and jokes, that I really dont find funny at all.

It really can't be an easy job in the slightest, long long hours, making it sound exciting.

It doesn't need to become darts with all the shouting every minute. I think us cyclists like the tech info segments far more.

Then again, not sure what his name is, but the commentator that always makes a point of pronouncing Italian names with an Italian accent, it always makes me think he is showing off! Now that annoys also.

Maybe I am just getting old.
    It doesn't help me improve my Dutch and German though.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012