Carlton Kirby

Comments

• OnTheRopes
    OnTheRopes Posts: 460
    iainf72 wrote:
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    Nope, I can't be doing with Rob Hatch's stupid pronunciations, I note though he doesn't pronounce the Irish riders in an Irish accent etc.

When you say "stupid pronunciations", you mean saying them as they're supposed to be pronounced?
    So, when you are in the UK do you pronounce Paris as Paree?
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,355
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Opportunity to sit around a table with the man himself:

https://www.sigmasports.com/events-rides/round-table-with-carlton-kirby

You're welcome.
    Would be quite useful, I could get some advice on how to keep hold of a job you are incompetent at. Could be handy that.
    Ought to be the best advice ever. Please do pass it on! :lol:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • m.r.m.
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    Nope, I can't be doing with Rob Hatch's stupid pronunciations, I note though he doesn't pronounce the Irish riders in an Irish accent etc.

When you say "stupid pronunciations", you mean saying them as they're supposed to be pronounced?
    No but I do pronounce the race as "Paree-Rubay". It isn't just 2 cities. It's it's own marvelous thing.
  • OnTheRopes
    OnTheRopes Posts: 460
    M.R.M. wrote:
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    OnTheRopes wrote:

No but I do pronounce the race as "Paree-Rubay". It isn't just 2 cities. It's it's own marvelous thing.
    As do I, but we can say it without trying to imitate a French accent or say Tour de France without trying to pretend you are Francais, Non?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,905
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    OnTheRopes wrote:

As do I, but we can say it without trying to imitate a French accent or say Tour de France without trying to pretend you are Francais, Non?

Yeah, cos that would sound so much better.
    My mind is boggling at the thought of the tour’s finale with say a full on cockney commentary. Champs-Elysees anyone?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 17,242
    Here they go edddding up the Champs de Elly seas ...innit
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 17,242
    What? How much? .... You can't get s proper cup of tea round here...what? How much? Speak English can't yet. Where is the station? What? How much ? No ketchup ..... What? How much?

Continued on the edl forum
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    not sure a CK dinner \ speak would be any good. he'd tell a joke at the start then spend the next 30 mins laughing at his own joke
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,675
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    OnTheRopes wrote:

The criticism of Hatch is that he pronounces riders names in the language they speak though. He says Paris with a hard s when he's talking about where the race finishes, in the same way he'll call the race Paree-Rubay.

How do you suggest he should pronounce Benoit Quosnefroy or Jean Delatour?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    Credit where it’s due. Kirby picked that it was Theunissen today, while Kelly and the ITV duo all called van Aert
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    RichN95 wrote:
    Credit where it’s due. Kirby picked that it was Theunissen today, while Kelly and the ITV duo all called van Aert

Well done for doing his job then. Poor by ITV team as it seemed clear to me where WVA was ... Although I didn't recognise Theunissen, I just knew it was neither WVA nor DG

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95 wrote:

Well done for doing his job then. Poor by ITV team as it seemed clear to me where WVA was ... Although I didn't recognise Theunissen, I just knew it was neither WVA nor DG

Not that good then. He should have been picking Teunissen. :wink:
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    RichN95 wrote:

true, but with no real evidence he called the win for Sagan, when you coudnt tell from that angle. Kelly told him 3 times dylan groenewegen was down and he ignored him. he also claimed Peter Sagan used to be the Slovenian national champion, a mistake hes made before.

At least we didnt have him for the entire stage
  • RichN95.
    sherer wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

true, but with no real evidence he called the win for Sagan, when you coudnt tell from that angle. Kelly told him 3 times dylan groenewegen was down and he ignored him. he also claimed Peter Sagan used to be the Slovenian national champion, a mistake hes made before.

At least we didnt have him for the entire stage
    To be honest, I watched the finale on ITV. When they got it wrong I looked at the last K of Eurosport to see how he fared
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    As people know I generally take a benign approach to Kirby but the last two days have been hideous.

Fire him and burn his home down.
  • blazing_saddles
    OnTheRopes wrote:

You must really be steaming, these past two days: Hatch and both ITV commentators pronouncing Reims the French way.
    Who would have thought?
  • RichN95.
    OnTheRopes wrote:

You must really be steaming, these past two days: Hatch and both ITV commentators pronouncing Reims the French way.
    Who would have thought?
    His pronounciation of Waterloo was stretching it a bit though. Brexiters didn't fight that war for him to do that.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I find watching ITV 4 on the telly but having the commentary from Carlton On Eurosport iplayer is the way forward.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,442
    Webboo wrote:
    I find watching ITV 4 on the telly but having the commentary from Carlton On Eurosport iplayer is the way forward.

Do you think it would matter if you had the commentary from a different day to the pictures?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Webboo wrote:

Do you think it would matter if you had the commentary from a different day to the pictures?
    That might be the business yesterday’s stage and today’s commentary.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Webboo wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

That might be the business yesterday’s stage and today’s commentary.

Sometimes it feels like Carlton is watching a completely different race to us anyway, and why not
  • m.r.m.
    Webboo wrote:

Hat!
  • kingstongraham
    OnTheRopes wrote:

Who would have thought?

At least Sean Kelly still calls it the Tour of France.
  • kingstongraham
    "He's hoving there like a boulder"
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    Saying Viviani's gone solo (which in his world means... following a wheel) on Kirstoff's wheel, where it's clearly Richeze & Morkov. I know that national champs jerseys are a thing but if we can see it why can't he?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,434
    Guys, you have THIRTY EIGHT PAGES about Carlton Kirby.
    The thread is FIVE YEARS OLD.

Can't you just turn the sound off and kill this thread? It keeps floating to the top of the forum like something that can't be flushed away.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    To be honest with you this thread makes me feel left out. I used to have the option of Dutch or English comms on the Eurosport on my telly, now I only have the choice of Dutch so I am feeling like I'm missing all the fun.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Can't you just turn the sound off and kill this thread? It keeps floating to the top of the forum like something that can't be flushed away.

*engages Carlton-mode*

"Yes, but they say cream rises to the top, so they're going to milk this one for all they're worth. Heh-heh..."

Continue laughing at own joke for next forty minutes, etc etc
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,061
    To be honest with you this thread makes me feel left out. I used to have the option of Dutch or English comms on the Eurosport on my telly, now I only have the choice of Dutch so I am feeling like I'm missing all the fun.

If fun is the tv experience equivalent of gauging your own eyes out.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,434

Pretty much the same here. Danish TV2 with Rolf Sørensen FTW. Have heard the occasional CK on trips back to GB, so understand the pain.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format