Carlton Kirby

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150

That Boonen has the double o is presumably because it's a name and back in the day you didn't have that kind of shortening of letters.

Doesn't Boonen mean Beans? (as opposed to Heinz which also means beans)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    RichN95. said:

That Boonen has the double o is presumably because it's a name and back in the day you didn't have that kind of shortening of letters.

Doesn't Boonen mean Beans? (as opposed to Heinz which also means beans)
    Yes bonen is the actual spelling ( but identical sound) and it's beans as in green beans.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388

Yeah just with en at the end.

Best way to pronounce as a Brit it is as bone, like the things that make up skeletons, with en at the end.

Wrong! It's pronounced Tom-Meek-Ker

;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596

Yeah just with en at the end.

Best way to pronounce as a Brit it is as bone, like the things that make up skeletons, with en at the end.

Tomeke. Problem solved.
  • His podcast it back but its now not free... anyone buying?

I have to say that being busy with getting back into work and everything late summer has left me miles behind on podcasts.

I had three per day for Le Tour which I just finished (ITV, TCP, Brad Wiggins) and am getting into the Giro now.

Anyone else using 4gb of their phone memory on the same ?
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    i catching up too. Doing TCP and part way through the giro at the moment. Usually listen on the commute and that isnt taking place at the moment, so not much chance to catch up.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    sherer said:

i catching up too. Doing TCP and part way through the giro at the moment. Usually listen on the commute and that isnt taking place at the moment, so not much chance to catch up.

https://www.drugs.com/illicit/tenocyclidine.html

Err
  • Just reviving this thread to mention his awful work this week, but yesterday in particular.

I was only half watching as I was WFH and home schooling (and watching the cricket) so was quite reliant on the commentators.

I went for most of the day thinking Chris Harper had won, until looking on PCS later and discovering he hadn't, CK had just called it wrong
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    I haven't seen any of this season yet but had highlights of last year's Strade on while eating lunch one day this week. I'd forgotten how bad he can be as most races I watched last year had others or commentary free option.

I can't remember his one quote in full but it was something about the arch they go under at the end being like a brick Arc De Triomphe with some inane Kirbyism that would have had me taking a hammer to the TV if I'd had one to hand.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Carlton Kirby bingo in time for Catalunya:

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    Durbridge is down for E3 and Gent-Wevelgem, so Turbo Durbo needs to be replaced with Mr Bojangles for this race.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    edited March 2021
    Much of CKs commentary is just meaningless word association

Had enjoyed Boulting & Millar, but Millar's chats with Imlach in the post mortem of the Paris Nice highlights were really annoying

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150

Carlton Kirby bingo in time for Catalunya:

There needs to be a square about fretting over roundabouts
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    More / too much road furniture these days, increased risk / more dangerous
  • bobmcstuff

Durbridge is down for E3 and Gent-Wevelgem, so Turbo Durbo needs to be replaced with Mr Bojangles for this race.

You think a minor fact like Durbridge not being in the race will stop him?
  • bobmcstuff
    orraloon said:

More / too much road furniture these days, increased risk / more dangerous

Right I reckon I can add a whole extra column/row.

Any other suggestions...
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    He usually squeezes in two riders riding "mano a mano" at least once a race
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    'let's wait and see'
    'nevertheless'
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Tipping at least half the peloton as a potential winner and the other half as dark horses.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    A lot of reminiscing about food, drink, hotels he stayed in when he could travel to the race, especially if Dan is co-commentator.
  • bobmcstuff
    bm5 said:

A lot of reminiscing about food, drink, hotels he stayed in when he could travel to the race, especially if Dan is co-commentator.

Especially when it is over a key part of the race
  • kingstongraham
    There was a particularly special example in Tirreno-Adriatico when the race was going through the outskirts of a town, and he said something like "this town brings back memories - remember the hotel rooms we had when we stayed here? They were so big I almost got lost coming back from the minibar."

Co-commentator - "that hotel was at the foot of the Stelvio."

Partridge- "Well the town looked a bit like this. It was great... such a big room etc days when we got good hotels etc"
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    :D
    That was a particularly apt example.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Gerrova yourselves.

It's just commentary, turn it off.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • kingstongraham
    elbowloh said:

Gerrova yourselves.

It's just commentary, turn it off.

Just ignore us if it's bothering you.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    For me he's now only the third worst cycling commentator. Jose Been (in English language commentary at least) has joined the contest and is giving Ned Boulting a run for his money as the commentator that really does spoil the racing.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

For me he's now only the third worst cycling commentator. Jose Been (in English language commentary at least) has joined the contest and is giving Ned Boulting a run for his money as the commentator that really does spoil the racing.

No way. Jose with Magnus have been really good IMO
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    No for me, it's all personal taste of course but I thought that's the worst pairing Eurosport have used - in fact I'd probably watch ITV in preference for the first time ever as Millar redeems their coverage somewhat.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    States "Geoffrey Soupe, resplendent of beard"
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited March 2021

Bad luck for you then.
    She's commentating again this afternoon. Bredene Koksijde Classic just beginning live coverage.
    Don't mind her doing these small Belgian races at all, but when E3 rolls around this time, next week.................
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.