Carlton Kirby

Comments

• sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    orraloon wrote:
    Or he's on a cheap contract, and it's Eurosport, i.e. fill up the 'schedule', do it cheap, don't bother editing for a 'highlights' package, just transmit the last x minutes of a live recording, e.g. include a minute long shot from a helicopter circling a railway viaduct, oh look there's a train, as per TdS this week...

As per awavey above, Eurosport only when no alternative.

The ran shots of bridges is nothing to do with Eurosport, they just broadcast the pictures they get. Im not aware of them being the host broadcaster of any sporting events, they take what they are given.

Highlights is usually done very badly though, sometimes that is down to restrictions on their rights , but sometimes is done so badly I cna only assume it's someone at Eurosport mucking that up badly.

USA \ PGA Golf is just as bad, they dont produce an international feed, so as soon as the anks go an an ad break it's footage of a tree or lake for 5 mins
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    whilst i'm all for improving things, who honestly believes the other main broadcasters would give us the variety and coverage of cycling that Eurosport does?

ITV with its resident cool drug cheat Millar? the bbc? unlikely. Sky? sky cycling channel anyone? PPV coverage of the classics and a subscription to sky sports anyone?
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    definitely not the beeb. they cover ride London, and have a supposedly decent team, but in reality it was never that great.

think the best anchor is still imlach, he's peerless.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    whilst i'm all for improving things, who honestly believes the other main broadcasters would give us the variety and coverage of cycling that Eurosport does?

ITV with its resident cool drug cheat Millar? the bbc? unlikely. Sky? sky cycling channel anyone? PPV coverage of the classics and a subscription to sky sports anyone?

ITV's Tour coverage is infinitely better than Eurosport if Kirby is commentating. If not, the actual live bit on Eurosport would be fine, but ITV put actual effort into making an actual highlights package which actually covers the main parts of the race, which Eurosport don't. Eurosport's highlights are normally pretty woeful.

Absolutely if you want to watch anything except the GTs, you want variety - then you need Eurosport, but their coverage is pretty lazy.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 17,276
    I like the variety. Kirby will be sidelined as cycling becomes more polished in the presentation dept. Eurosport stepped up with the giro. And itv are stmarting up even more. Imlach is slick. No room for the Kirby's of this world ...maybe some minor fringe sport starting to get coverage for the likes of them. Listening to Millar playing 4d chess with the finale of the TDY was the best bit of commentary word salad this year so far. Hatch is solid...but the hours in the booth is making him go a bit duffield. Imagine if during that tedious giro they didn't have relief mid stage from Wiggins and Smith. Good grief. Anyway beats listening to Duffers going batty. That was inhumane.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    That was inhumane.

Similar to having to listen to Phil and Paul continuing to prattle on about the same riders and races which every year become less and less relevant. Shame as such an iconic pairing
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Oh god, just looked at Rob Hatch thing on youtube and he's studied 25 languages at a high level. That answers the fact that most of his commentary sounds like a combination of all 25 of them. He forgets he's talking to an English audience. I think if Simon Gerrans says AG2R like an english speaking person would then that's how you say it. Rob Hatch says Aieee Sheeee duuuuuzzzz urrrrr.... Him swapping his fantastic languages around is mind bending and unlistenable and unintelligible. It's ok being correct but most of the listeners aren't. :roll: Like me!
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Oh god, just looked at Rob Hatch thing on youtube and he's studied 25 languages at a high level. That answers the fact that most of his commentary sounds like a combination of all 25 of them. He forgets he's talking to an English audience. I think if Simon Gerrans says AG2R like an english speaking person would then that's how you say it. Rob Hatch says Aieee Sheeee duuuuuzzzz urrrrr.... Him swapping his fantastic languages around is mind bending and unlistenable and unintelligible. It's ok being correct but most of the listeners aren't. :roll: Like me!

The first call for dumming down on the whole thread :)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,075
    jerry3571 wrote:

This is so 2019.

"What, this guy actually learned stuff? FFS. Can't he be just be wrong, just like meeeee"
  • jerry3571
    If you got Simon Gerrans who rode on Ag2r saying as we do then that's the way. As a commentator the first job is being understood and the second is the not being a wise ass :roll:
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

-Jacques Anquetil
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 wrote:
    If you got Simon Gerrans who rode on Ag2r saying as we do then that's the way. As a commentator the first job is being understood and the second is the not being a wise ass :roll:

I wonder if he nags Kelly on his pronunciation :roll:

-Jacques Anquetil
  • mididoctors
    jerry3571 wrote:

This is so 2019.

"What, this guy actually learned stuff? FFS. Can't he be just be wrong, just like meeeee"

Indeed.

I don't trust it unless it's stupid.

People don't like the insight they are perhaps not as smart as they think..... Do they.

Wisest guy I meet a few years back was a construction worker who knew he didn't know and asked everytime he didn't understand something without worrying if it made him look stupid. He had the remarkable talent for picking the right person to ask. He was a very productive member of team. He was uneducated and pretty slow frankly. Taught me a lesson.

This current fashion for bashing knowledgeable people who are informing you is something he would see as dumb I guess.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bobmcstuff
    I'm not mentally handicapped so I can understand someone saying AG2R in French or English, because it isn't very hard.
  • jerry3571
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    I'm not mentally handicapped so I can understand someone saying AG2R in French or English, because it isn't very hard.
    Well done on not being mentally handicapped. Not sure this has got anything to do with much. :?
    No other commentator has done this over hammed word scrabble since I first watched Roche in 1987. Pah! Hes just a jumped up Journo! :evil: Get an ex pro to talk the talk. :!:
    Ahhh you spotted the posh word of Pronunciation :wink:

-Jacques Anquetil
  • rich_pcp
    rich_pcp Posts: 113
    Those defending CK on the grounds of not losing the chap his cosy gig, are deluding themselves over the power and influence of this thread plus an email or two to ES.
    If I had such power, my repetitious emails to TMS with a view to get rid of the professional Yorkshireman, Geoff Boycott, over many years would resulted in the boring bigoted know-all losing his job years ago.
  • bobmcstuff
    jerry3571 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Well done on not being mentally handicapped. Not sure this has got anything to do with much. :?
    No other commentator has done this over hammed word scrabble since I first watched Roche in 1987. Pah! Hes just a jumped up Journo! :evil: Get an ex pro to talk the talk. :!:
    Ahhh you spotted the posh word of Pronunciation :wink:
    All I am saying is, I know what he's talking about if he says it in French, it doesn't bother me.

Where would you draw the line? Is pronouncing place names like a local OK?
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    sherer wrote:
    he doesnt have an easy joband seems to have been given the cycling gig my default post David Harmon. I dont mind him rambling a bit mid stage during a GT, his problem is trying to tell jokes every 5 mins then spending too long laughing at them.

Not sure about Paris but if he commentats from the event then it's going to be on a much smaller screen that we get at home.

Dont think any of us would be too upset if he never did any cycling again, but also dont want to see the cycling community force him out of his job.

Almost all of Eurosport's commentary is done from a studio not too far from Heathrow - the exceptions are few and far between, perhaps max 20/25% of output on location? He will be sitting as close to the screen as you or I might to our own monitors if on a desktop.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    I get more annoyed by him referring to FDJ as Française des Jeux as they haven't been that for a long, long time.
  • mididoctors
    When it comes to campaigning I have bigger issues to fry than getting CK sacked.

He is a rubbish cycling presenter
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,450
    jerry3571 wrote:

Surely it's Arr Zhay duzz air.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I say, put him on until 90 minutes before the end of the stage.

Then put Hatch on.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    iainf72 wrote:
    I say, put him on until 90 minutes before the end of the stage.

Then put Hatch on.

I think Hatch is OK, but I'm not sure he deserves the praise he seems to get. If you watched Strade Bianche he really made an exciting race sound terribly dull.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • mididoctors
    As long as they get people's names right and spot the rider they get a pass.
  • OnTheRopes
    OnTheRopes Posts: 460
    Nope, I can't be doing with Rob Hatch's stupid pronunciations, I note though he doesn't pronounce the Irish riders in an Irish accent etc.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    Nope, I can't be doing with Rob Hatch's stupid pronunciations, I note though he doesn't pronounce the Irish riders in an Irish accent etc.

When you say "stupid pronunciations", you mean saying them as they're supposed to be pronounced?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,620
    Opportunity to sit around a table with the man himself:

https://www.sigmasports.com/events-rides/round-table-with-carlton-kirby

You're welcome.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,910
    iainf72 wrote:
    OnTheRopes wrote:

When you say "stupid pronunciations", you mean saying them as they're supposed to be pronounced?
    This seem to be the common complaint. Smacks of nasty foreign rubbish type moans to me. And as to not making the race sound interesting: surely it’s not about the commentary but the actual race?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bobmcstuff
    iainf72 wrote:
    OnTheRopes wrote:

This seem to be the common complaint. Smacks of nasty foreign rubbish type moans to me. And as to not making the race sound interesting: surely it’s not about the commentary but the actual race?
    Kirby's idea of making the race sound interesting is worse - screech incoherently about motos and Si Clarke being an odds on favourite and then completely fail to describe the actual finish.

So exciting.
  • bobmcstuff
    Daniel B wrote:

You're welcome.
    Would be quite useful, I could get some advice on how to keep hold of a job you are incompetent at. Could be handy that.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Daniel B wrote:

You're welcome.

To be fair, I reckon Carlton knows his way around an all you can eat buffet, so suspect the table might be rounder than normal and pretty good value for a fiver. I also think he enjoys watching cycling and maybe even knows something about it. Not being terribly good as a commentator - and often extremely annoying - doesn't necessarily mean that this would be an unbearable evening, although maybe don't go if you're a Luke Durbridge lookalike and don't want to be reflexively lynched by the audience.