RIP Panta

Comments

• Oddly, it was one of the few bits of graffiti to survive the winter. It was a little way above Chalet Reynard and, if you watch the TV coverage of the TdF stage, was about where he had caught up with the Armstrong/Ullrich group after being dropped lower down the climb.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    10 years?! That whole era seems much further away than that.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    A snap I took on Mont Ventoux almost a year after the 2000 TdF stage (a bit blurry because I was on my bike and didn't fancy stopping and having to get going again afterwards).

WTR_006a_zps7acbe340.jpg~original
    Great picture.

What a rider. RIP
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    Oddly, it was one of the few bits of graffiti to survive the winter. It was a little way above Chalet Reynard and, if you watch the TV coverage of the TdF stage, was about where he had caught up with the Armstrong/Ullrich group after being dropped lower down the climb.

Great pic - if you've got a larger size it would go well in the 'wallpaper' thread
  • A snap I took on Mont Ventoux almost a year after the 2000 TdF stage (a bit blurry because I was on my bike and didn't fancy stopping and having to get going again afterwards).

WTR_006a_zps7acbe340.jpg~original

That is an awesome shot. The blurriness adds to it. Gives a sense of movement.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • I take it everyone has seen this?

Just as well it's out in April, when I won't be able to see it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfN3uxk-vRs
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I take it everyone has seen this?

I think you ll be fine for cycling films in Belgium Goat...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I take it everyone has seen this?

Oh gent away with you... :wink:
  • Tom Dean wrote:
    Always worth another watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-J2bIsPDH8

Great stuff, albeit within the context of the times. The part when he rips past Jalabert is spectacular.

No wonder they caught him for HCT levels a few days later....

The next time someone reckons Sky MUST be doping because of the way they tempo the climbs, point them in the direction of this vid and the Mercatone Uno chase back on - that's how a juiced up uphill team TT works!
  • Great stuff, albeit within the context of the times. The part when he rips past Jalabert is spectacular.

I was there, up the Oropa climb... his speed was twice that of Jalabert in a section which is about 10%. Jaja turned the other side to avoid watching him... :shock:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Tom Dean wrote:
    Always worth another watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-J2bIsPDH8

Probably the best combination of music and road racing on a video.
  • I was there, up the Oropa climb...
    Me too. That was my first day in Italy and the first day watching the Giro. I saw all the Dolomite stages as well as the Treviso TT and a flat stage (that Saeco dominated IIRC). I remember walking up the final climbs at Oropa, Alpe di Pampeago and Madonna di Campiglio and seeing the fans riding up on their bling road bikes, including quite a few women and kids – which you didn't see so much in the UK in those days as one does nowadays – and thinking this really is a cycling culture here. And I remember the absolutely deafening noise from fans' klaxons every time Pantani caught someone on a climb or attacked, us all watching it live on the big monitor near the finish line, the volume being like a football crowd and not being able to hear myself speak. Really glad I made the effort to go, as it was a 2 day trip to get there, but the intensity and sense of expectation I've rarely experienced at Tours and other races since. Needless to say, the final mountain stage over the Mortirolo to Aprica was something of an anti-climax.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    Yup, even knowing all the history and negatives I still find watching him the most exciting of all.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Dabber wrote:
    Yup, even knowing all the history and negatives I still find watching him the most exciting of all.

Same here
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    Paulie W wrote:
    10 years?! That whole era seems much further away than that.

Indeed. Many of us learnt about Pantani's untimely death via Ceefax.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Friebe makes an excellent point on the podcast that Pantani's '98 year was the last year where there wasn't blanket suspicion about every rider, which might explain why it's still remembered so fondly, especially in comparison to now. A more innocent time where those rides would take your breathe away and raise you out of your seat, as opposed to raising an eyebrow.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    Friebe makes an excellent point on the podcast that Pantani's '98 year was the last year where there wasn't blanket suspicion about every rider, which might explain why it's still remembered so fondly, especially in comparison to now. A more innocent time where those rides would take your breathe away and raise you out of your seat, as opposed to raising an eyebrow.

Does he mention that Pantani lead the rider sit-down protests and go-slows in the 98 tour? The year was only innocent until July. If ever there was anything that caused me to have blanket suspicion about every rider it was how the peloton reacted to Festina and the ongoing raids and searches. I didn't watch the race finished.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    Go listen to it yourself.

Btw there's a live humans invent podcast on 5th of March at Crystal palace.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    Go listen to it yourself.

Btw there's a live humans invent podcast on 5th of March at Crystal palace.

I will. Crystal Palace is a touch of a long way from Copenhagen though ;-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    This shows Pantani’s last ever climb. And accordingly, the name of the accompanying soundtrack song is L’Ultima Salita’ = The Last Climb, a homage to Pantani by the Italian band Nomadi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F-9AYF5zyo

It's the 19th stage of the 2003 Giro (the remaining two stages were a flat one and then the traditional TT) and the climb is up to near the Cascate del Toce (the Toce waterfalls - briefly shown in the video), north of Domodossola.

With 4-5 km to go and Kirchen and Caucchioli a little ahead of a group of 20-30 with all the big names, Pantani attacks, but before he reaches the two ahead, 6-8 of the group have been able to close the gap to Pantani, albeit somewhat strung out. After passing K and C, Pantani continues to lead but when more come up from behind to join them, he first drifts back a few places then launches another attack.
    There are 3 km to go when he enters the galleries alone but soon thereafter, inside the galleries (not shown in video; video is accordingly edited), Simoni and Pellizotti catch and overtake him. Pantani can’t follow and is then eventually passed by another 8-9 riders. He finishes 12th, 44 secs behind Simoni, by the end having to be led by teammate Gasperoni.

The text at the end says something like “Pantani, as you’ve just seen, didn’t win the stage, but he gave us his last great climb”.
  • Got me into cycling as a 10 year old.

Well, the stage up to Les Deux Alps did anyway.

Exactly this. I'd seen Ullrich in 97 but this was the first time I'd properly watched the Tour.

Think about him a lot, he meant so much to me simply as a cycling fan
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Bit off topic, but the singer Richard Fredon (who used to be a cyclist) wrote a couple of songs about VDB and Philippe Gaumont which are also quite good. They'll be on youtube somewhere....
  • IMG_1435_zps9d865f69.jpg

IMG_1438_zps48eeb92c.jpg

R.I.P. Marco.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited February 2014
    Sir Tom Finney died today.

Talent, class, dignity, integrity, flair. He had it all.

I bet half of you have never heard of him. But he was everything sport should be. Pantani was everything it shouldn't be.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:

I bet half of you have never heard of him.

Maybe start a thread about it on a football forum?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    RichN95 wrote:

I edited my post to make it more relevant.

I'm just a nay sayer in this Pantani hagiography. His glorification compared to real greats of sport seems wrong to me.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I edited my post to make it more relevant.

I'm just a nay sayer in this Pantani hagiography. His glorification compared to real greats of sport seems wrong to me.

Yeah.

He elicited a really strong emotional response out of a lot of people with the way he rode.

He was theatrical, exciting, and daring in the way he rode. Throwing the bandana down, attacking from the bottom of the climb, etc. His rhetoric chimes with what a lot of fans look for in cycling, suffering etc - something that was begging (and still is) to be lost with an increasing scientification of the sport('s rhetoric). And he was pretty consistent in his outrageously good moments too.

And like I said, he was doing it just before the innocence disappeared.
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Matt Rendell, as usual, adds sense and calm objectivity to the hyperbole.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/02/ ... ath_317220
  • nic_77 wrote:
    Matt Rendell, as usual, adds sense and calm objectivity to the hyperbole.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/02/ ... ath_317220

Hyperbole is the word.

Excellent stuff from Matt R.
This discussion has been closed.