Reynolds Assault SLG wheelset

1235»

Comments

• twgh
    twgh Posts: 102
    Got rid of the Aeros because they were too wide for my Storck. Since got rid of the Storck and have Enve 4.5 on Tune Mig/Mags built for my English. Would have stuck with the Aeros but the rims are hard to source.

Nice those Enve's sound very lovely but perhaps a little out of my price range. In terms of ride do you prefer them to the Aeros? Were you running the 46 or the 58?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Dunno, haven't ridden them yet. I was running the Aero 72.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • tjm160
    tjm160 Posts: 35
    Granted Disc specific, but a good review of the Reynolds here; http://intheknowcycling.com/2015/02/23/best-wheels-road-bikes-disc-brakes/

Lovely looking bike BTW and the Reynolds look great on it too.
    Tim
  • don't seem to be a lot of rim brake assaults around at reduced prices
  • I've had a set of the Strike SLGs since last summer. I didnt ride them a great deal last year but have put some miles on them this spring. I'd give then 3 out of 5 at best. If your looking for a truly great set of deep carbon clinchers then I'd probably look elsewhere. Reasons:

- Mine came in at +100g over spec for the pair. At 1635g as advertised they were reasonably heavy anyway but once I received them and weighed them at mid 1700's I was truly disappointing
    - There is considerable lateral flex to guarantee brake rub. I actually think its excessive and ive had the spokes and hubs tightened. You have to back your brakes right off to try and avoid it and that obviously compromises brake feel
    - Braking is average at best and noisy
    - The clincher bead is relatively easy to chip with plastic tyre leavers. Mine has and I have treated them with kid gloves on
    - Dont buy if you want to run them tubeless. That was one of the reasons why i bought them. I have run them tubeless this spring so that i could do Paris Roubaix and they are not designed for it. The tyre fit is relatively loose, making mounting tricky and the rim clearly is not designed for them as there is not a flat spot where the valve exits the rim. As a result you have to over tighten the lock nut, grinding it into the carbon and it still leaves a gap between it and the rim. This is the main port of call for leaking. Look at a pair of stans rims and they have thought about this during the design process.

On the plus side they are fast, survived the Paris Roubaix, behave well in cross winds and make a noise like the millenium falcon.