Reynolds Assault SLG wheelset

Comments

• duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Ordered the Assaults from Probikekit today, fingers crossed the Campag freehub runs ok on my DA9000.
    Cheers, Stu
  • They absolutely should work together. See Leonard Zinn's analysis here. http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/09/ ... ght_303199. Hope you got it for £995, their discounted price.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    duckson wrote:
    Ordered the Assaults from Probikekit today, fingers crossed the Campag freehub runs ok on my DA9000.
    Good for you. I look forward to hearing what you think about them. I think we are on a similar mission at present!
  • duckson
    Aye certainly, plus some Quidco cashback. :)
    Cheers, Stu
  • duckson
    Calpol wrote:
    duckson wrote:
    Good for you. I look forward to hearing what you think about them. I think we are on a similar mission at present!

Cheers....hope its all plain sailing, i think the only thing to hold me up will be the brake pads (Campag fit with the wheels so ordered a Shimano set from Fatbirds.co.uk....only stockist with stock i could find).

(InQ from Overclockers btw)
    Cheers, Stu
  • oola
    oola Posts: 77
    Did you get the Assaults in the end, oola?

Sorry, just caught up on this thread again. I didn't, I was dithering about and all the deals had gone ... and after more dithering a bought a set of Wheelsmith 38mm carbon clinchers. Early days yet but happy so far with how they perform. They're the same weight as the standard wheels, so I could feel the aero benefits on the first outing. We're obviously not talking night and day but certainly a worthwhile upgrade.
  • Crashs2k
    Crashs2k Posts: 78
    For any Reynolds wheel owners - I have had a set of Assault SLGs for less 3 weeks and just over 400K on them.

Noticed today that the non-drive side end cap was loose which has resulted in some damage between the end cap and hub shell. Lots of metal filings inside hub from where they have contacted each other and the end cap / hub shells are now no longer circular!

I can only assume that they were either incorrectly torqued up during manufacture or have worked loose. Any wheel experts care to comment and if there will be any other damage to the rest of the rear wheel / are they safe to ride?

Also shouldn't there be a seal between the end cap and the internals?

Check your end caps!

Ojkbh4AExkbYZ0Ytd2QSpcAp6YpCho98xm4P6xtu92k=s209-p-no

9tR2ycXbiPR-gcbfYpXGZ5v9YqDPnwZI-96_aCbj5hE=s209-p-no

-RKyqDvxG5Nelu2JMcToEr7HluOCe_ZXD_e66UqorkY=s209-p-no
  • Is anyone stocking the new SLG Assaults in tubular version?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Epic Cycles might since I think their race team is using them.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Grill wrote:
    Epic Cycles might since I think their race team is using them.

Have a look I shall....
  • Cavs
    Cavs Posts: 176
    ProbikeKit are kicking out the Reynolds Assaults at a great price again £935, so a set are winging their way to me now.
    (40th birthday present)

I've got some Conti GP4000S II in 25mm ready, but guidance appreciated on which inner tube is best for this wheelset please.

Will a 60mm presta valve be sufficient ? (41mm rim depth)

Best trade off between lightweight/puncture resistance leans me to the Conti Race Light inner tube 20-25.
    Any inner tube betters the Conti selection please?

With a deeper rim is the little inner tube nut a necessity to stop rattling of the valve on rim?

Thanks...
  • I use 60mm continental road tubes. No need for tube nut. Wiggle do a good deal on multi buy 5 & 10 pack.
  • Crashs2K - How'd you make out with the end cap and hub shell issue you mentioned above? How was it resolved? Are you satisfied? - Steve
  • Steve - yes all sorted eventually under Reynolds warranty scheme FOC(-ish).

Had to post them back to the Netherlands and took about 6 weeks to turn around. They replaced the rear hub with a new one and re-laced the wheel although they returned it with a Campag freehub and no rim tape!

After a few follow-up phone calls and a few more weeks they sent a replacement Shimano freehub and some rim tape.

Service could definitely be improved as Reynolds don't have a European service center and have outsourced it to MTB Werks and they weren't v. responsive to emails.

However, most important thing is that the wheels are back to full function and back on the bike. I can't think of anything else at the sub-£1000 price point that comes close. Not too much of a handful on a windy day, excellent dry braking and pretty decent in the wet too.

Also, they look absolutely fantastic on the bike!
  • Hi,
    I'm in a similar position to pedalbasher. New Ridley Noah SL frame arrives next week and i need some deep section carbon wheels to finish it off. Can't find a good group test of the main brands so looking for advice. Was considering Zipp 404's but have read pretty poor comments on hubs etc. The Reynolds Assault/Strike combo looks like an option as well as the new Knight 65's which are all around the £1k to £1.5K for a set.

How you getting on with your Reynold Assaults having had them for a year?
  • Not going to a miss a chance to show off my bike :)

These wheels look great, respond instantly, spin up and maintain speed really well. Like you I considered Zipps but I got these for a shade under £900 which is nearly half the price of the Zipps 303's I was looking at so took the plunge on the Reynolds.

I have only done 2 50-60 mile rides and both were quite hilly so not had a true test of their speed but they are definitely a massive upgrade on the Ksyriums I had previously. It almost seems effortless to maintain 19-20 on the flats.

The bearings seem excellent as well, no resistance whatsoever, lift the bike of the floor and the wheels start turning freely.

I ride with 25mm Continental GP4000 SII.

Braking is very noisy, I'm hoping this will subside over time.

IMG_0517.jpg
  • Starsboy
    Starsboy Posts: 66
    Thehighroad, where did you purchase the wheels from for £900? Fancy a set myself for my Canyon
    Thanks
  • Pro Bike Kit put them on sale every now and again so snapped them up in October/November last year. Can't see many places stocking them now. Maybe end of the line before a new model is released.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Cavs wrote:
    Will a 60mm presta valve be sufficient ? (41mm rim depth)

Best trade off between lightweight/puncture resistance leans me to the Conti Race Light inner tube 20-25.
    Any inner tube betters the Conti selection please?

With a deeper rim is the little inner tube nut a necessity to stop rattling of the valve on rim?

Thanks...

There is no puncture resistance in the tube. Buy the lightest tubes you can get.

Don't use the valve stem nut but do put a strip of black insulation tape up the rim at 45Deg, around the valve stem and back down the other side at 45deg. This will stop the valve rattle.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Nice looking bike with the Assaults. I think i'll be getting the Assault / Strike combo. There are lots of deals around for both the Assaults and strikes. Thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge and experience
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    A new version is about to land with tubeless compatible rims which is why no-one has then just now. Shouldn't be too long as a few US dealers seem to have them already.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Has anyone got the 2015 versions that are tubeless ready? How is it getting "normal" clincher tyres on and off (I've been scarred for life with some Pacenti SL23 rims and clinchers).
  • foggymike
    Westbrook Cycles and Merlin have the new ones now. £1169 though so it may be a while before we get back to the £900 or less they were at a few months ago. Claimed weight up to 1515g but my older versions were more like 1545g in reality so presumably they are a bit more than that. Is it only Zipp who put honest wheel weights in their marketing stuff? :roll:
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    Anyone know who's stocking the disc variants?
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • foggymike
    Or go to the Starbike website - as reported on another thread currently just over £900. Much cheaper than the uk shops with the current euro exchange rate. That's non disc though so worth a check for the heavier version :wink:
  • Just got my LBS to order me a set of the new Strike SLG's for £1125. Which I thought was pretty competitive with the benefits of it being from my LBS. Will post a pic and give you some feedback when I get them. I found that many of the bargain basement prices on the net didn't actually have any in stock. From what I have been told there isn't a great deal of stock available. Even though they state tubeless I can confirm that they will be fine with regular clinchers and tubes.
  • foggymike
    If you don't want tubeless then PBK have 2014 strikes (campag only) for £950
  • gardino71
    gardino71 Posts: 98
    I just had a great deal on Starbike for the 2015 Reynolds Assault with 10% off the regular price coming in at £906. Couldn't leave them there for that price.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Now that I have Aeros, I can never go back to Assaults. If you have the cash laying about, go Aero.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    foggymike wrote:
    Is it only Zipp who put honest wheel weights in their marketing stuff? :roll:

They also include well manufactured, 'bullet proof' hubs too :wink:
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”