Reynolds Assault SLG wheelset

Comments

• foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    They may have their faults but understating weights isn't one of them!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Grill wrote:
    Now that I have Aeros, I can never go back to Assaults. If you have the cash laying about, go Aero.

The Aeros come with a hefty premium, about twice the price of deep SLGs on PBK!?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • bobbydazzla
    bobbydazzla Posts: 289
    I can get a set of 2015 Assaults from an LBS for £1000. But I've also spotted the Vision Metron 40 for £875 from Bike24.

Anyone have experience of both sets of wheels ?

I'm thinking I'd rather buy Reynolds locally because any problems with the Visions means shipping them back to Germany. But based on reviews I've got a slight preference for the Visions.

Decisions, decisions...
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    drlodge wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    Now that I have Aeros, I can never go back to Assaults. If you have the cash laying about, go Aero.

The Aeros come with a hefty premium, about twice the price of deep SLGs on PBK!?

Yup. Worth every penny.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • drlodge
    Grill wrote:
    drlodge wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Yup. Worth every penny.

Could you qualify that statement a bit, what 's so much better with the Aeros?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Grill
    Stiffer and so much faster (they hold speed ridiculously well). Also they deal with gusts/cross winds better than any wheel I've had. My 72's feel far more stable than my Assaults or RZR 46's ever did. For the money you also get much better hubs (dt240s) and Ti skewers.
  • drlodge
    Thanks for the insight Grill, however I quickly realised that these wheels are way too expensive for me and my abilities. That kind of money can get one a nice WM frame or even close to a used team Massive Attack bike (minus wheels). Hell my dream frame is only £3400 ;-) Think I'll stick to my £350 Planet-X/Novatec carbon tubulars for a while...

Was out with the WM mob on Friday, some of them riding the new Massive Attack SL frame with what I reckon are your 72 aero wheels. They left me standing but I was on the 12.5kg CX tractor...and had the pleasure of chatting with Tiny going up Beacon Hill.
    Find me on Strava
  • I've now had a chance to do a few rides on the new 2015 Reynolds Strike SLGs. Some first impressions
    - 1700g for the pair out of the box which is slightly more that the claimed 1635g
    - 9/10 for build quality, bearings are smooth
    - minimal deflection at the rim which is key for me
    - very fast........ :) I have noticed a significant difference when out on one of my usual rolling hills routes. Strava times etc have reflected this
    - Excellent response to side winds. You feel a subtle push through the handlebars and no sudden loading or reaction
    - First time for carbon clinchers for me but I've been impressed by the braking. You dont get the sudden grab you get with alloy rims and its more progressive but nonetheless pretty good.

Bought from my LBS for £1125.

Very happy
  • Grill
    drlodge wrote:
    Thanks for the insight Grill, however I quickly realised that these wheels are way too expensive for me and my abilities. That kind of money can get one a nice WM frame or even close to a used team Massive Attack bike (minus wheels). Hell my dream frame is only £3400 ;-) Think I'll stick to my £350 Planet-X/Novatec carbon tubulars for a while...

Was out with the WM mob on Friday, some of them riding the new Massive Attack SL frame with what I reckon are your 72 aero wheels. They left me standing but I was on the 12.5kg CX tractor...and had the pleasure of chatting with Tiny going up Beacon Hill.

I'll sell you my frame for half that... ;)

10408735_10155453262160541_7313302744040200272_n_zpsklkohql3.jpg
  • drlodge
    Hummm tempting. What size is it?
    Find me on Strava
  • Grill
    Medium. Paint alone was over £700...
  • drlodge
    Yeh that's my size. Time to get a kidney removed!!!
    Find me on Strava
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    Bike 24 have Reynolds Aero clinchers at a good price, around £1100-1200 depending on depth.

https://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=13& ... nolds+aero
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Grill wrote:
    Medium. Paint alone was over £700...

Michelangelo charged about the same for the decoration of the Sistin Chapel in today's money...

Just saying... :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • pechacheli
    pechacheli Posts: 184
    Would anyone hesitate using these on a mountain descent with the Reynolds brake pads e.g. the powder versions for extra braking?
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    Just ordered a set of these wheels. I'll be running them tubeless. Do they come with the valves or do I need to order a set with extenders?
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    5F0529E3-049B-4AE8-8706-AE2A43402527_zps5qy2ivih.jpg

These arrived at the weekend. Tubeless valves are included! Just waiting for ze tyres from ze Germans!
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • hatch87
    Good news, thanks. I've got some schwalbe ones ready to go. Couldn't get any 25mm's though as every where seems to be out of stock so will have to run 23s for now.
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    They'll look seriously skinny, I've got 28's on and they only just fill the width!
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • hatch87
    I have got some 25's on my Stans, so I'll just swap them around then if they look kack
  • dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    I have a pair of Assault SLG Discs on backorder, they will be used on the club run bike for the majority of the year but I will probably change them out when going into winter (salty roads).

The Assault SLG Disc....
    Comes in at a good price point,
    It appears to be a fairly decent aero profile,
    Tubeless (big selling point for me),
    Wide rim,
    Hubs are an unknown to me

The more I wait the more I've looked at the 46 Aero Disc, which....
    Are not Tubeless,
    Possibly a better aero rim,
    Just about an acceptable price increase,
    DT Swiss internals on hubs

The trade off for me seems to be;
    Tubeless vs DT Swiss 240 Hubs & More Aero Rim

Any thoughts on these, I see Grill says he wouldn't go back but there seems to be a big difference between the aero profiles as he's on 72's.

Cheers
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • Grill
    The 46 and 72 have the same shape (DET), it's just a difference in depth. Once you ride the Aeros, the Assaults just don't cut it.
  • dork_knight
    Cheers Grill.... left it too late, now out of stock.

Going to be glued to the site for stock levels, bah.
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    Cheers Grill.... left it too late, now out of stock.

Going to be glued to the site for stock levels, bah.

I might have mentioned it earlier on the thread, but bike 24 have the Aero for pretty cheap (relative to RRP). My 58s were £1200 delivered.

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=13& ... o+reynolds I've checked a few and they are in stock.
  • dork_knight
    Thanks for the link and it's Bike24 I have a current order with, however, I'm after the Disc Versions which are currently out of stock.

Bike24 say that they do not know when or if they'll have them back in stock again.
  • dork_knight
    After checking a few other sites it would appear that they may be on back order as others are showing out of stock/on order.
  • twgh
    twgh Posts: 102
    Grill - do you use the Aeros all year round?
  • Grill
    Got rid of the Aeros. If you're comfortable riding carbon clinchers year round, then there's no reason not to with the Aeros.
  • twgh
    twgh Posts: 102
    Got rid of the Aeros. If you're comfortable riding carbon clinchers year round, then there's no reason not to with the Aeros.

What did you move to out of interest?
  • Grill
    Got rid of the Aeros because they were too wide for my Storck. Since got rid of the Storck and have Enve 4.5 on Tune Mig/Mags built for my English. Would have stuck with the Aeros but the rims are hard to source.