Reynolds Assault SLG wheelset

Comments

• foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    Any reports on how these ride or are they waiting for the weather/roads to improve?
  • pearceygy
    pearceygy Posts: 56
    He's nearly had em a month the suspense is killing me, come pedal pusher give us your review?
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Any update/feedback on the rims......????????????
    Cheers, Stu
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Fresh from the press... different wheels but same concept

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... bites-dust
    left the forum March 2023
  • pedalbasher
    pedalbasher Posts: 215
    Apologies for the delay. I've been too busy enjoying these wheels day in, day out to write a review (I wish).

I should mention at the outset that I haven't owned - or ridden, for that matter - any other aero/deep rims, so I'm not qualified to compare and contrast to similar alternatives. I've been riding pretty seriously for a couple of years, and have done most of my miles on a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite S, which whilst relatively light are obviously alu box rims and not aero at all.

Having spent close to £1k on the wheels (I have other priorities and responsibilities, so this was not an insignificant amount of money for me), I am naturally inclined to convince myself that I spent wisely and that the wheels are life-changing. I've done about 500 miles on them so far and they certainly are not life-changing. But they have undoubtedly improved my riding experience (see below) and, in my mind at least, they look the absolute business. I love them, and so far have no complaints whatsoever.

Acceleration

I'll be completely honest, I can't sense any improvements in terms of acceleration. That might be because I don't have years' of experience riding various wheelsets/bike combos, or it might be because a c.100g drop in weight does not translate to noticeably quicker acceleration for 99.9% of people. They certainly don't feel any slower to spin up than my previous wheels and I am still usually first past the tall tree on the left :)

Stiffness

These wheels feel stiff. I only weigh c. 65kg so I am not putting out power like Andre Greipel but for me - and for the vast majority of the cycling population, I am sure - there is very little discernible flex in the wheels. I haven't had any issues with brake rub etc.

Comfort

To be honest, increasing the comfort of my ride wasn't really a priority when choosing new wheels, but I am delighted that rides now feel much smoother. This is probably also a consequence of switching to 25mm tyres (Conti GP4000s) and running them at a slightly lower pressure. Regardless, I no longer feel road buzz and little bumps to the extent that I used to, which is great (and should also have a performance benefit on longer rides, as I should be less fatigued from relentless vibrations etc).

Aerodynamics

This is why I bought the wheels and I'm really chuffed that I can sense a tangible difference here. Perhaps some of it is placebo effect - who knows - but I absolutely feel that holding speed on long flats and drags is easier. Of course, when there's a headwind blowing then it is still hard work, but in side winds and tail winds in particular, I feel like I could go all day at a higher pace than previously. I feel less like I am making lots of mini-accelerations to keep the pace high so riding along above 20mph feels more "consistent". I've ridden in some pretty gusty conditions and, even as a light rider, I haven't been blown about to the point of being concerned - it's really not an issue.

Overall gains?

As far as overall tangible performance gains are concerned, that's a tricky one. I am reluctant to put too much emphasis on average speeds etc because, of course, there are so many variables with riding outside. I am also wary of sounding like one of these muppets who reports that his new pair of aero socks has made him 2mph quicker on average. So take this with a pinch of salt and make of it what you will...

My regular go-to training loop is a 55 mile run out from East London to Epping Forest and beyond, taking in a number of short but steep climbs and some quicker rolling sections. Approx 3,500ft of climbing. Some traffic, but usually pretty consistent. Last year, a few weeks after doing an Ironman (i.e. in the shape of my life) I was averaging 17 to 17.5mph for the loop (solo). Last week, with the new wheels, and in decent shape but by no means top of my fitness game, I did the loop at an average of 18.1 and, frankly, had a fair bit left in the tank (the last 40 miles were done at 18.7). For me, that points to a substantive and discernible improvement which I am quite sure is attributable - at least partly - to the Assault wheels.

In summary, I'm delighted with the wheels and pretty convinced I struck a good balance as far as performance gains and expenditure are concerned. Would happily recommend them.

Hope this is a helpful review. Let me know if you have any specific questions etc.

Cheers

ps. I still have the yellow dust-caps on :D
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Excellent informative review. What's braking like?
  • pedalbasher
    Mercia Man wrote:
    Excellent informative review. What's braking like?

I should have covered this above, sorry.

Braking in the dry (Reynolds wheels, Reynolds blue pads) feels exactly the same as braking in the dry with my old alu Ksyriums.

In the wet, the Reynolds are SLIGHTLY slower to stop. But it's negligible.

And I haven't experienced any of this "gripping and grabbing" that I read about and was a little worried about.

I don't know whether the Reynolds pads are any better than other brands', but on the basis that the 2 year warranty is only valid if you use the Reynolds pads, I'll be keeping them and replacing as and when with the same pads.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I don't know whether the Reynolds pads are any better than other brands', but on the basis that the 2 year warranty is only valid if you use the Reynolds pads, I'll be keeping them and replacing as and when with the same pads.

They are.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • pedalbasher
    That explains why I'm not having any braking issues then. Was initially concerned, but now the only problem is that they're good in all conditions and I'll have to force myself to swap them back for the old wheels in bad conditions.
  • oola
    oola Posts: 77
    Thanks for the review pedalbasher. I've pretty much decided on the Assault SLG's (just looking around for the best deal!) after having considered just about everything available. I have previously run a pair of Mavic Cosmic SL's which are not a true carbon clincher, merely an alu rim with a carbon faring, and found the benefits were minimal. I also run a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Elite S's which are a great training wheel (as well as Bonty RXL's).

I'd considered the attack's but at they have less aero this yr, the Assaults seem like the better option. So, I think your review confirmed my thoughts. :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    oola wrote:
    I have previously run a pair of Mavic Cosmic SL's which are not a true carbon clincher, merely an alu rim with a carbon faring, and found the benefits were minimal.

In aerodynamic terms a fairing rim is NOT inferior to a "true carbon" rim... in fact Martin did win a Worlds edition on one of these once, didn't he?
    There is plenty of literature from HED and other manufacturers.
    The wheelset will be lighter, about 300 grams, give or take, but if light is what you want, then the tubular version will be considerably lighter and better (and cheaper)
    left the forum March 2023
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    oola wrote:
    ....I have previously run a pair of Mavic Cosmic SL's which are not a true carbon clincher, merely an alu rim with a carbon faring, and found the benefits were minimal. I also run a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Elite S's which are a great training wheel (as well as Bonty RXL's)....
    What are your criteria?
    The best wheel rim in terms of feel and weight is never likely to be an aero wheel profile. The aerodynamic requirements are not consistent with optimising the structure for weight and stiffness. So comparing the Ksyrium Elites to an aero wheel isn't really fair.

From an aerodynamic point of view it's irrelevant whether the aero portion of the rim is structural or "merely" a fairing. In terms of weight, strength and stiffness it's likely going to be preferable to use the aero portion of the rim as a structural component so a fairing type design will be at a disadvantage. For best braking you probably want an aluminium brake track which is possible using bonded aluminium and carbon parts or using a full aluminium rim and carbon fairing.

So before you say which wheel is most beneficial you really need to tell us what specific benefits you're talking about: aerodynamics, comfort, stiffness, braking, weight, etc...
  • oola
    oola Posts: 77
    Ai_1 wrote:
    oola wrote:
    ....I have previously run a pair of Mavic Cosmic SL's which are not a true carbon clincher, merely an alu rim with a carbon faring, and found the benefits were minimal. I also run a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Elite S's which are a great training wheel (as well as Bonty RXL's)....
    What are your criteria?
    The best wheel rim in terms of feel and weight is never likely to be an aero wheel profile. The aerodynamic requirements are not consistent with optimising the structure for weight and stiffness. So comparing the Ksyrium Elites to an aero wheel isn't really fair.

From an aerodynamic point of view it's irrelevant whether the aero portion of the rim is structural or "merely" a fairing. In terms of weight, strength and stiffness it's likely going to be preferable to use the aero portion of the rim as a structural component so a fairing type design will be at a disadvantage. For best braking you probably want an aluminium brake track which is possible using bonded aluminium and carbon parts or using a full aluminium rim and carbon fairing.

So before you say which wheel is most beneficial you really need to tell us what specific benefits you're talking about: aerodynamics, comfort, stiffness, braking, weight, etc...

Thanks for your input. I felt the Mavic's weight (in fairness they were the 2009 version) to be noticable over a standard clincher ... perhaps the current models are slightly lighter. As expected, I was slower at climbing yet quicker at decending and dare I say it, on the flat which is a greater advantage than lost on the climbs! So all in all, I felt it was my poor choice of wheel with regards to my riding rather than a poor wheel ...

I spoke to my LBS who supplied my bike and we talked about my riding ... terrain is usually plenty of rolling hills, some decent climbs/downhills with some flat riding so my aim is to find a good balance of aero/weight. We spoke about a 38mm - 40mm as a good compromise for what/where I ride, hence I was drawn to the Reynolds Assaults.
  • pedalbasher
    Did you get the Assaults in the end, oola?
  • foggymike
    If anyone else is still after these PBK have just got Shimano and Campag stock in with 14% off, so a smidge over £1000.
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    they also have the strike/assault combo for £950, at 100g heavier the rim makes the set 1575g roughly, would the deeper rear be stiffer than the other - what other benefits would it have apart from slightly more aero?
    i need more bikes
  • foggymike
    I don't think there's much benefit really except for what you say - a very tiny bit more aero (front more important there) and a little stiffer but as a trade off a little less comfy I suppose, a tad heavier, and a bit harder to sell on if you sell them since a split set is less normal. The straight assaults seem a better all rounder really which is probably reflected in the pricing. Split set maybe better for crit races but that would be about it for me anyway.
  • ben16v
    16% 0ff the split set and 20% off the assault or strike today! will it keep going down?? aargh
    i need more bikes
  • pedalbasher
    Stop fannying about and order the Assaults on PBK now for £935.99 with discount code "20SOTUK"!

Absolute bargain.
  • white91
    white91 Posts: 431
    Do I replace my 2011 Assaults with is deal?
  • ben16v
    my gf says i havent had enough to drink to spend the £600 they cost (thats what i told her) best open another bottle of wine (sorry OT)
    i need more bikes
  • I'm a bit late to comment on this thread, but I bought a set of these about 6 weeks ago and for anyone out there contemplating getting a set......DO IT!!!

Since owning mine my avg speed has increased. I was hitting between 19.5 - 20.5 and now very rarely drop below 20 on solo 40 - 60 milers and on many occasions since getting them, I have averaged 21+. For group rides these speeds are quicker still.

I haven't experienced any negatives so far and am chuffed to bits with em. They also look the dogs danglies on my Scott Foil which is also a bonus.

For what its worth, I am running mine with a pair of 23mm Schwalbe Ultremos as they were fairly new but will be replaced with the newer 25mm Schwalbe One when its time to replace them. There are NO issues at all running the 23's and they look as wide as the rim, but I will change them out for a smoother ride.

Mick
  • duckson
    Any more feedback or reviews from owners?
    Tempted on some from probikekit (Campag freehub on DA groupset).
    Cheers, Stu
  • I'm also a fan of the new Assault SLGs. Recently posted my comparative review of all-rounders after considering three dozen and looking closely the best 17. Its here http://intheknowcycling.com/2014/04/29/choosing-the-best-all-around-wheelset-for-the-road-cyclist/ There are better performing wheels wheels but the Assault SLG is the best value and still performs well. And for the month of June, they are on sale at PBK for £995 w/code SAVE15PBK
  • duckson
    I'm also a fan of the new Assault SLGs. Recently posted my comparative review of all-rounders after considering three dozen and looking closely the best 17. Its here http://intheknowcycling.com/2014/04/29/choosing-the-best-all-around-wheelset-for-the-road-cyclist/ There are better performing wheels wheels but the Assault SLG is the best value and still performs well. And for the month of June, they are on sale at PBK for £995 w/code SAVE15PBK

Thanks.
    I'd already been umming on arring on them a few months back, been around the boy regarding even going tubular, chinese direct etc etc but then changed my mind and stuck with my DA9000 C24's.
    Started looking again recently and it was your review i read that reminded me of the Assaults and i saw the discount at PBK you mentioned. :wink:

While not all in the same bracket height/brake track wise I'm considering DA C50's (£999) and Zipp 303/404 (2014 version, £1600) along with the Assaults, this is close to what you have in the review. I'm not sure the C35's would be much of an upgrade from the C24's in the aero category hence looking at the C50's...its just that they are heavy (real world weights are in the 1800g's from what i've read!).
    For a mixed road riding location (north west England), the lowish weight and of course price, the Assaults tick the most boxes that i can see (99% time they will be on my best bike for use in the dry).
    Cheers, Stu
  • Stu - great, there's a link that will take you right to the Assault SLG page at PBK in the sidebar of my site when you are ready.

As you suggested, the various wheels you mention fall into different categories. The C24s are great climbing wheels - I did a 110 mile 'century' with nearly 5000 ft of climbing on the C24s last year and they were perfect for that but they give you no aero benefit on the flats. The C50s are really for flat terrain and those doing TTs or triathlons where weight matters less but if you do any kind of hills or climbing the C50s will really be sub-optimal. The C35s are good if you do some of both - light enough to climb well and aero enough to go fast on the flats - that's why they are 'all-arounders'. And if you ride frequently in the rain, I'd go with the C35s over the Assault SLGs Even though the Reynolds are better braking in the rain than most wheels with carbon braking tracks, there is a real difference in stopping distance and reaction time between the aluminum and carbon brake track, especially as the latter one wears over time. If not, go with the SLGs as they are wider as well as deeper for the added aero benefit with the same weight at the same price now - but only if you ride 20mph or more on a regular basis, otherwise you don't get any aero benefit.

Enjoy the ride,
    Steve
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Would these be ok as a best set for tarting around in for someone 85kg? I fancy a couple of new pairs of wheels (and a new bike tbh!) and a set of these and some hand built archetypes are appealing.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Menthel - most quality wheels like these will be good for riders up to 95 or 100kg. Would need to understand more about how you ride before suggesting these or another. Sorry, as a Yank, I'm not familiar with the phrase 'tarting around.'
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Menthel - most quality wheels like these will be good for riders up to 95 or 100kg. Would need to understand more about how you ride before suggesting these or another. Sorry, as a Yank, I'm not familiar with the phrase 'tarting around.'

My workhorse riding would be done on the hand built wheels- I do an amount of 100-200km audax rides (planning to go further as well) but wouldn't mind a set of wheels with that look fancy for weekend riding of 50-100km in rolling countryside. I also plan to get another bike to compliment my condor Italia that does my leisure miles- so a second campag equipped bike (probably chorus). I am not sure what the equivalent of tarting around would be in the US! ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • duckson
    Any owners gone for the Reynolds RAP?

http://www.reynoldscycling.com/support/assurance/

Assume its £150 for us in the UK ($250 = £150, it doesnt quote £ or Euro anywhere....).
    Cheers, Stu