Doping Life Bans

Comments

• rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    rayjay wrote:
    Let me try again. I'll rephrase it.

Do you think that if I took two identical replacement level riders and gave one a 6 week programme of Fencamfamine and the other a 6 week programme of EPO, transfusions and testosterone, both programmes would be equally effective in improving physiological measurements that are linked to success in road racing?

Seriously :roll: . You know the answer. I know the answer. :roll:

I'm using the English language the best way I know how... What is the answer?

Don't you know?

How about we take 2 identical riders and one gets held up by a train and the other does not and go's on to win the race :roll:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,405
    In Flanders, the winner is said to have used the course conditions to his best advantage
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rayjay wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

Do you think that if I took two identical replacement level riders and gave one a 6 week programme of Fencamfamine and the other a 6 week programme of EPO, transfusions and testosterone, both programmes would be equally effective in improving physiological measurements that are linked to success in road racing?

Don't you know?

How about we take 2 identical riders and one gets held up by a train and the other does not and go's on to win the race :roll:

Humour me. What is the answer? ( 5 times and counting)
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rayjay wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

Don't you know?

Option A: 42
    Option B: The triumph of hope over experience
  • rayjay
    rayjay wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

Don't you know?

Why do you want me to answer? I will tell you

You must obviously not know the answer yourself and you are seeking the answer from me or you are being a patronising tw%t

I go for the latter .

So keep counting or do a google :roll:
  • ddraver
    oh dear rayjay - Tube strike getting to you?
    - @ddraver
  • When BR forumites and Mr Logic collide......

vortex-800.jpg

SSDD.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rayjay
    ddraver wrote:
    oh dear rayjay - Tube strike getting to you?

No . I am a musician. I work from home in my own studio unless I'm rehearsing or gigging. although I have not managed to get out on the bike today as the weather is pretty bad.

The Victoria line is working fine and my wife got to work without any problems.

Thanks for your concern :lol:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,982
    rayjay wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

Don't you know?

You must obviously not know the answer yourself and you are seeking the answer from me or you are being a patronising tw%t

I go for the latter .

So reading between the lines you know that the EPO option would give them a far bigger advantage but don't want to say it as you will then have to justify why you think the rider should get the same ban whichever option he takes?
  • RayJay, I have managed to have this conversation without resorting to calling you names and I would thank you to extend me the same courtesy.

As it is, you are clearly unwilling to proffer an opinion on the question I put to you, possibly for the reason Pross identifies so I shall leave our discussion there.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rayjay wrote:

I am a musician.

What style of music Rayjay (not taking the wee ... Interested to know ...)
  • ddraver
    You know that Chicken Tonight song....
    - @ddraver
  • rayjay wrote:

I am a musician.

What style of music Rayjay (not taking the wee ... Interested to know ...)

He's in a tribute band called EPO they do great covers such as "Mr Blue SKY", "Don't bring me down" (Hein re-mix)
    "Evil Woman" (Cound EP)
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Ffs guys ... Give it a rest for 5 minutes ...

Unless it's Smooth Jazz ... in which case, have at it ...
  • ddraver
    Oh come on that's no different from people saying "Does Geology Rock?" to me...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:

That must be kinda Schist for you ...
  • ddraver wrote:

I bet you like sedimental love songs
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited February 2014
    rayjay, what you think of 'Can't get you out of my head'?

ps it's a deal-breaker, bro
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:

ha ha, that is genuinely a new one! Congratulations

(Sorry CB, the Schist one is another "classic")
    - @ddraver
  • rayjay
    Pross wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

Don't you know?

I go for the latter .

So reading between the lines you know that the EPO option would give them a far bigger advantage but don't want to say it as you will then have to justify why you think the rider should get the same ban whichever option he takes?

Riders in Merckx's days were mostly taking amphetamine type drugs.

Riders today have far more sophisticated drugs. The point is not relevant for todays athletes.

You are either cheating or not.

Drug issue . I am happy for PED'S to be made legal and safe as they can be made rather than carry on with the charade we have now IMO

Bans . if you are going to ban riders for taking PED'S then make the bans and consequences the same for every one.
  • ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

ha ha, that is genuinely a new one! Congratulations

(Sorry CB, the Schist one is another "classic")

No worries, RR's effort tied in both concepts so a doff of my casquette to Ms Racer ...
  • Macaloon wrote:

try Spinning Around - more apt for this thread
  • Pross
    I wonder if musicians should be banned for life if they write or perform any material under the influence of 'performing enhancing products'. After all, it seems to be established fact* that the best musical compositions / performances are the result of drugs and it is potentially preventing clean musicians getting into the business.

* For the avoidance of doubt 'established fact' means I have read it in tabloid newspapers and on the internet.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    edited February 2014
    rayjay wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

Don't you know?

I go for the latter .

Riders in Merckx's days were mostly taking amphetamine type drugs.

Riders today have far more sophisticated drugs. The point is not relevant for todays athletes.

You are either cheating or not.

Drug issue . I am happy for PED'S to be made legal and safe as they can be made rather than carry on with the charade we have now IMO

Bans . if you are going to ban riders for taking PED'S then make the bans and consequences the same for every one.

There are degrees of just about every crime and they along with mitigating or aggravating circumstances determine the punishment - it's not clear to me why doping in cycling should not be subject to these same standards.
  • rayjay
    Macaloon wrote:

To scared to answer. you may put me on ignore.

I did see Kylie once down the Queensway getting out of car. You have to see her close up to realise how tiny she his.
  • Pross
    It seems a ridiculous argument that the choices are either a) legalise doping (and effectively leave anyone in the sport having to cheat to succeed whether or not they want to) or b) ban everyone for life irrespective of whether they demonstrate conclusively that they unwittingly took a product or their blood is the texture of jam from the amount of EPO they are using. Besides, the rules are the same for everyone. The standard punishment for a first offence is 2 years and a third offence gets a life ban. Just like with the law you can then have mitigation either way that can lengthen or shorten a ban. It's like the man who murders his wife's lover in the heat of the moment, admits to it at the first chance and shows remorse will get a shorter sentence than the one who abducts the guy, tortures him and chops him into pieces then pleads not guilty when the evidence is overwhelming. The crime is the same (murder), the victim is equally dead in both cases but not many people would argue against the second case getting a longer tariff than the first.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,964
    Round and round the big wheel goes - where she stops no one knows

Has the OP been back?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rayjay
    Pross wrote:
    It seems a ridiculous argument that the choices are either a) legalise doping (and effectively leave anyone in the sport having to cheat to succeed whether or not they want to) or b) ban everyone for life irrespective of whether they demonstrate conclusively that they unwittingly took a product or their blood is the texture of jam from the amount of EPO they are using. Besides, the rules are the same for everyone. The standard punishment for a first offence is 2 years and a third offence gets a life ban. Just like with the law you can then have mitigation either way that can lengthen or shorten a ban. It's like the man who murders his wife's lover in the heat of the moment, admits to it at the first chance and shows remorse will get a shorter sentence than the one who abducts the guy, tortures him and chops him into pieces then pleads not guilty when the evidence is overwhelming. The crime is the same (murder), the victim is equally dead in both cases but not many people would argue against the second case getting a longer tariff than the first.

I never said irrespective of whether they demonstrate conclusively that they unwittingly took a product .

If you were going to ban someone for life, just like you are going to send someone to prison for a murder then you dam well better make sure that the proof is conclusive. Don't put words into my mouth.
  • ddraver
    So in th elight of that statement can you still not see how someone caught once recieves a lesser sentence than someone caught 3 times?
    - @ddraver
This discussion has been closed.