Yorkshire TDF - viewing plan

123457»

Comments

• Valedoc44
    Valedoc44 Posts: 51
    Help from locals please about Stage 2 viewing on the A59 to the SW of Killinghall and then getting back to Ripon Racecourse hub where booked in, and from where need to pack up etc later.

How credible is using the bus service down in time to see the caravan at 0954 and the peleton 2 hrs later and then return journey in time to see finish on big screen? Service 36 seems to be running but surely demand will exceed capacity?

Would prefer to cycle down but space inside car is tight for 2 bikes and either it is bus or car down to Killinghall area.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'll be watching on Jawbone Hill at Oughtibridge/Grenoside. Are loads of viewing points, lots of footpaths to get there. Should be a good watch, is a short, but steep climb.
  • towser44
    towser44 Posts: 21
    Hi All

Planning on watching Stage 2 by parking car somewhere between Castleton and LadyBower reservoir/Snake Pass and cycling to the route before High Bradfield. Will be avoiding Glossop and driving via Wynatts Pass, but how busy is it likely to be up there for parking etc and would getting there for 7-7.30am be sufficient to park or do I need to get there earlier?
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    Right then, got the day off work so going to head out to watch stage 2 via train (no car!). Will be coming from Manchester, so just wondering if I should get the train into Glossop and trek up to Holme Moss and find a spot, or train into Brockholes and try the spectator hub in Holmfirth?
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    edited July 2014
    Have a last minute change of plan (don't ask) which means won't be taking bikes. This requires a complete revision of our plans

Concerned about getting stuck in traffic / finding nowhere to park

Plan for stage 1 is to park up at somewhere like Arncliffe and walk across to Kettlewell / Starbottom. Are the roads a mile or two off the course likely to restricted too ?

Plan for Stage 2 is to park up somewhere like Bolsterone or Ewden and walk 3/4 km to the route
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    dsoutar wrote:
    Plan for stage 1 is to park up at somewhere like Arncliffe and walk across to Kettlewell / Starbottom. Are the roads a mile or two off the course likely to restricted too ?

Yes, looking at the map on the tour yorkshire site a lot of the road have no parking restrictions on them.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar wrote:

Yes, looking at the map on the tour yorkshire site a lot of the road have no parking restrictions on them.

Cheers for prompt response !!
  • dsoutar
    Am I being naive in assuming most pubs will have the TdF on the telly in Yorkshire ? Obviously after the caravan and riders have passed would be nice to watch the conclusion
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    A good friend of mine has gone up with his wife. They are camping, then riding to watch. I wish we had done that now - the scenery looks amazing in all of those photos.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Sitter wrote:
    Philly8mt wrote:
    Been to Sheffield today "working" .... Took the chance to have a nosey at Jenkin Road and the route to the finish line. Honestly you could drive around there oblivious to the fact owts happening! One small bit of bunting on the soon to be famous white railing on Jenkin Road and a yellow cardboard bike stuck on one lamp post!
    The only signs are ones warning of "Towing away" & "road closures" ... Nothing on the roads entering the city, no welcome, no banners, no bunting! fool all!

Sheffield really seem to have let themselves down when compared with the rest of Yorkshire :(

Seems to be a common comment from people that have been Sheffield way, maybe they'll get their acts together once they see what the rest of Yorkshire have been doing.

Been getting noticeably busier around here (Ingleton) with campervans and cyclists as although we are not on the route, we are within easy striking distance.

There is a group of cyclists putting up loads of bunting etc around Bradfield tonight, but as for the rest of the city Sheffield council have massively let everyone down. There are some posters around the city centre and that's about it. At least people in the outlying villages have done so,e decorating themselves.

Tbh though nobody will really notice when the actual race passes as much of the route will be packed with people.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550
    Wharfdale is absolutely chockablock

The 2 big sites - VeloFest @ Kilnsey Cliffs & NTS @ Buckden are massive. I am well impressed.

Lots of campervans making their way to Cote du Cray. It looks Alpine.

Only let down is "where there's muck there's brass" almost every farmer is trying to cash in with camping, bad camping, empty camping, no decent views anywhere nearby camping.

No Parking restrictions everywhere but you can pay £15 to get your car parked in a field.

Road closes at 5am so get here now!!!
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Riding up from Derby to the festival at High Bradfield on Sunday morning.Big group of Derby Mercury are terrorising Ilkley even as I type-just texted me `its ducking it down`.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    dsoutar wrote:
    Am I being naive in assuming most pubs will have the TdF on the telly in Yorkshire ? Obviously after the caravan and riders have passed would be nice to watch the conclusion

There is live coverage all day on ITV1 so in theory it shouldn't be too hard to find somewhere showing it, they won't need to have satellite tv.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Bluemoon17 wrote:
    Right then, got the day off work so going to head out to watch stage 2 via train (no car!). Will be coming from Manchester, so just wondering if I should get the train into Glossop and trek up to Holme Moss and find a spot, or train into Brockholes and try the spectator hub in Holmfirth?

Excellent service from Piccadilly to Glossop, every half hour. There are shuttle buses running from Glossop upto Crowden youth hostel. From there it is only a couple of miles up the woodhead road to the very sharp junction with the Holme Moss road. Expect it to be rather busy though. I would imagine the buses stop at the station seeing as they have to go straight past it to go up Longdendale. Expect it to be busy. Weather forecast is a tad pants though. Also spectator hub in Manor Park in Glossop, big screen, bands on after etc.
  • supersonic wrote:
    I'll be watching on Jawbone Hill at Oughtibridge/Grenoside. Are loads of viewing points, lots of footpaths to get there. Should be a good watch, is a short, but steep climb.

I'll be on Jawbone Hill.

My parents live in Grenoside, so it's a 10 minute walk for me to reach Jawbone.
  • supersonic
    I'm just a bit further down t' road at Chapeltown, going to cut onto jawbone through the woods and hopefully miss the main crowds.

Seems a lot of people are going for the more 'famous' climbs - Cragg Vale, Holme Moss, but some of the shorter ones on the last 30k (of stage 2) are so are a lot, lot steeper and might split the pack up a bit.

Some of the descents could be good viewing too - a lot of very twisty and narrow roads through Ewden/Bradfield, I'll be surpised if we don't see a couple of offs. This damp weather has made the new roads a bit greasy.
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    Cycled to Grinton Moor today. Got there nice and early. Got a good spot. It was bloody freezing early on but the red wine kept me warm. Amazing atmosphere. We were at the point right where Voigt got caught. What a great day.
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    Bluemoon17 wrote:

Excellent service from Piccadilly to Glossop, every half hour. There are shuttle buses running from Glossop upto Crowden youth hostel. From there it is only a couple of miles up the woodhead road to the very sharp junction with the Holme Moss road. Expect it to be rather busy though. I would imagine the buses stop at the station seeing as they have to go straight past it to go up Longdendale. Expect it to be busy. Weather forecast is a tad pants though. Also spectator hub in Manor Park in Glossop, big screen, bands on after etc.

Thanks, Glossop it is!
  • supersonic wrote:
    I'm just a bit further down t' road at Chapeltown, going to cut onto jawbone through the woods and hopefully miss the main crowds.

Seems a lot of people are going for the more 'famous' climbs - Cragg Vale, Holme Moss, but some of the shorter ones on the last 30k (of stage 2) are so are a lot, lot steeper and might split the pack up a bit.

Some of the descents could be good viewing too - a lot of very twisty and narrow roads through Ewden/Bradfield, I'll be surpised if we don't see a couple of offs. This damp weather has made the new roads a bit greasy.

Yeah there's that real nasty hairpin bend on the Strines located almost at the bottom of that steep descent at Ewden Beck. Would make a fantastic spot for one of the pro snappers to shoot the riders from. Forecast for tomorrow says a possible chance of a shower at around the time the riders arrive in the area, yes it wouldn't surprise me if we saw one of two riders miss time that bend or the one almost immediately after it.
  • supersonic
    Was insane, so many people! Very windy too.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,019
    Top of cragg vale, thousands of people. Whoever lead the marketing for this event wants a slap on the back, loads of non cycling types getting involved in the sport, very very well done.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • supersonic
    Couldn't agree more. Carnival atmosphere, loads involved, everyone behaved. And what an amazing stage too (two).
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    Dont think I got too bad a spot
    10465422_10154268099385214_297808616250985873_o.jpg
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Nice pic !

Top of Holme Moss for me - parked the car 15 miles away and rode in. Nice day for it and only got caught in the rain on the way back to the car. Even managed a bit of sunbathing out of the wind up there.
  • norvernrob
    What an amazing day. Rode to Holmfirth on mainly closed roads, climbed a packed Holme Moss with thousands of people walking, cheering, riding, pushing, you name it! Then back to our viewing spot where I grabbed some decent pics.

43175A1D-4AC1-4606-8163-ACD22E147D62_zpslovjtlnl.jpg

4E0B0239-4B0B-44EB-904F-F62CDAED6E4B_zpswvo9ckaw.jpg

91D5B23D-C6C9-45CE-91DA-1E06FE3BD11C_zpsxukppqhg.jpg

42987396-F9AF-46AF-AE9F-5CFCF173E367_zpsvjsxhqxh.jpg

67819A74-470D-42FA-BF04-555C58DCEE68_zpsqf6ddy28.jpg

1E0F8C3C-0122-42CD-BCE5-2DE8FD5B9638_zpsael1y5ap.jpg

0981C8E8-55D5-4FBF-B25C-C1A6CC4B3F90_zpskxvkfpcg.jpg

16D0B2A6-7609-4530-88F8-AAC75F36FC9C_zpsuasxzf1h.jpg

F91F48AE-3EC3-4D49-AF22-771CE967D8D7_zpsy9l4flac.jpg

CEEEB1BB-0A66-412E-B31C-65F8FACF803A_zpsvrr9h4ih.jpg

B412A83D-8A44-47B5-B046-1684300A2E7A_zpses339o0i.jpg

Ps none of these were taken with my hand stuck out near the riders! I only have pics of the front of the main group as I put my phone away to cheer them on.

Awesome awesome day, I ended up doing nearly 70 miles and 7,000ft of climbing myself by the time I got home.
  • norvernrob
    Last ones:

85A1C329-5316-4C1C-8853-486645FB27B6_zps7g8nyqfe.jpg

3F16E65C-8CDC-4F57-A507-60CE67FD2A31_zpswuyrgclq.jpg

7748CA0E-5FB7-4B73-AA30-BD7938398690_zps6b2pwlqn.jpg

2F1AF142-333F-424B-9EC4-3037EE0C647E_zpsulzfyyyk.jpg