Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race

Yorkshire TDF - viewing plan

12467

Posts

  • hjghg5hjghg5 Posts: 97
    Live in leeds. Eve of tour dinner friday night (for work, tough job but someone's got to do it). Tourmaking on saturday, probably in a fan park so I have the consolation of a big screen to keep an eye on the action. Then home to pick up the car and over to oxenhope to camp overnight and watch stage 2. Probably ending up in a pub and staying over there on sunday night (both nights are booked but we haven't decided whether to stay or drive home yet as it depends on the weather and alcohol consumption). I have monday off work so may drive down to cambridge but it's a fair drive there and back in a day and I may well need sleep by then!
  • MechanismMechanism Posts: 895
    What do you reckon for people cycling out (early) to a spot on the route - better to follow the route itself rather than side roads where there might be more traffic?
  • dwanesdwanes Posts: 954
    Mechanism wrote:
    What do you reckon for people cycling out (early) to a spot on the route - better to follow the route itself rather than side roads where there might be more traffic?
    I would just get on the route and then at least you are there. Then ride the route till you get a good spot.

    For me: Skipton with the (young) kids on the first day (will try an get a bus in early if they are running).

    Then out on the bike and cycle over Oxenhope/Haworth way for the second day (taking a camping stool and packed lunch, then sit, wait and enjoy)
  • thegreatdividethegreatdivide Posts: 5,022
    Just a heads up re mingling amongst the team buses at the GD/start of UK stages. There’s a very good chance the buses will be in an ‘inner sanctum’ and the people with access will already have special passes. It was the case during several stages of last year’s Tour. Stage 20 for example – the buses were parked at the team’s hotels* and were then driven in procession into a secured area where they warmed up. To get in you needed to have a pass and even with said pass it was really busy inside with VIP’s etc. I might be wrong and I know that you can pretty much do it at the ToB but I honestly can’t see it being open season in Leeds.

    *Scope out the hotels – we bumped into the Cannondale bus and cars and met Sagan.
  • ducknumber1ducknumber1 Posts: 733
    *Scope out the hotels – we bumped into the Cannondale bus and cars and met Sagan.

    All conveniently listed in The Official Stalkers Guide (aka The Roadbook)
  • chippykchippyk Posts: 529
    Park early doors at my mum's in North Bradford and pick up the Tour route up to Kettlewell from Otley, hoping to get there before the final road closure before the caravan, hoping it's not raining and that I can grab a bite to eat.
  • Dorset_BoyDorset_Boy Posts: 2,540
    Staying with friends in Sheffield.
    Saturday: NCP pre booked in Leeds, as is train to / from Harrogate. Preparing to breathe in and hold! :shock:
    Sunday - hopefully a morning ride out towards Hathersage & back, then across Sheffield to somewhere near the finish.

    Look forward to it!
  • Looking at the road closure info it looks like the majority of the route is going to be shut at the latest at dawn on the day of each stage. We are staying up in Bradford and want to head to Sheffield - will we be able to ride the route from Huddesfield to Sheffield if we get up early and get to sheffield for 11am ish?
    thanks
  • chippykchippyk Posts: 529
    I think you can cycle on the route until about an hour before the caravan comes through and again as soon as the last official vehicle has gone.
  • d87francisd87francis Posts: 136
    Planning on heading to Holme moss on friday evening with two mates in a car. None of us can afford to pay the quite frankly ridiculous campsite prices so we'll be taking a tent and seeing what happens. I appreciate roadside camping would be stupid with the numbers expected and will obviously be careful with fires etc (I wild camp a lot when cycle touring), but we hope to find a spot for free somewhere not too far away. We'll sleep in the car or in sleeping bags on chairs next to the road if we have to. Would be interested how the council define camping, if a gazebo over some chairs would be ok or a fishing tent etc. You often see people camping out over night queuing for big events doing similar things. It angers me that they are monetising this event so much, the tour is free to watch, has traditional working class roots and should be about who is dedicated to get there early enough, not who can afford to pay stupid camping prices!
  • Graham KGraham K Posts: 329
    d87francis wrote:
    Planning on heading to Holme moss on friday evening with two mates in a car. None of us can afford to pay the quite frankly ridiculous campsite prices so we'll be taking a tent and seeing what happens. I appreciate roadside camping would be stupid with the numbers expected and will obviously be careful with fires etc (I wild camp a lot when cycle touring), but we hope to find a spot for free somewhere not too far away. We'll sleep in the car or in sleeping bags on chairs next to the road if we have to. Would be interested how the council define camping, if a gazebo over some chairs would be ok or a fishing tent etc. You often see people camping out over night queuing for big events doing similar things. It angers me that they are monetising this event so much, the tour is free to watch, has traditional working class roots and should be about who is dedicated to get there early enough, not who can afford to pay stupid camping prices!

    There are signs for severe parking restrictions all around the area for the weekend, so be careful what you do with the car or as the signs say it will be towed away.
    As for stealth camping, cant help you on that.
  • I know it's late but does anyone know anywhere to park in Sheffield? Was planning on driving into the city then cycling to Oughtibridge
  • thefogthefog Posts: 197
    d87francis wrote:
    Planning on heading to Holme moss on friday evening with two mates in a car. None of us can afford to pay the quite frankly ridiculous campsite prices so we'll be taking a tent and seeing what happens. I appreciate roadside camping would be stupid with the numbers expected and will obviously be careful with fires etc (I wild camp a lot when cycle touring), but we hope to find a spot for free somewhere not too far away. We'll sleep in the car or in sleeping bags on chairs next to the road if we have to. Would be interested how the council define camping, if a gazebo over some chairs would be ok or a fishing tent etc. You often see people camping out over night queuing for big events doing similar things. It angers me that they are monetising this event so much, the tour is free to watch, has traditional working class roots and should be about who is dedicated to get there early enough, not who can afford to pay stupid camping prices!

    The campsites have been encouraged purely because with the numbers expected, you clearly arent going to get 1m spectators onto the roadside for each stage if it was just travelling on the day. Same with the parking - if everyone travelled to Yorkshire and parked for free by the side of the roads or on the verges of the race route, with our traffic and congestion problems, it would be absolute gridlock on every road 20miles away from the race route and alot of disappointed people. Its also not great for the TV to show one massive car park on the route. That said, some of the campsites and festivals are taking the absolute piss.

    Now, you can try camping roadside, but dont do it on any major routes in which might block the flow of traffic, or blocking accesses or any other access and you may be okay. Its unlikely council's would take action if you arent causing any problems. Just be sensible.

    No doubt someone will come along and say this doesnt happen in France, but then you dont get 1m spectators watching a stage in france, despite claims of 1m on ventour or alpe d'uez - surveys were done which disproved this. France has a much better road network, so the race runs on quieter roads. This means you can get to destinations in france with greater ease. In the UK, the stages are being raced on classified A and B roads, which are the main roads into some of these areas.

    I really dont think alot of people are thinking their travel arrangements through and believe they can just roll up at midday at their preferred viewing point and get a parking spot by the side of the road. If you're not in alot of the locations by 5-6am, you arent getting anywhere near.
  • gregster04gregster04 Posts: 1,052
    Having been to a sprint finish in France, I know the chances of seeing much are pretty slim if your not there very early however I am gonna give Harrogate a shot on Day 1. Parking at the Great Yorkshire Showground then will walk into town. Planning on getting there as early as possible on the day and will probably revert to the fan park if I can't get a good view of the finish. Think it'll be a long day, not one for the family and Kittel will probably win it too. Would probably make more sense to catch the finish to Stage 2 as it'll be a bit clearer/slower.

    For Stage 2, I am staying local and riding my bike up from Oldham to Cragg Vale. I went up there yesterday and I got a tinge of 'tour fever' as I believe Sky are calling it. The locals were out hanging up their world-record attempt bunting and it pretty much was covering the bottom 3km of the climb when I went past them. I spotted a bicycle cut into one of the neighbouring fields and 3 or 4 cycling-themed displays including one dummy with a Wiggo mask on it, who said he wasn't making it? Higher up the climb, there were a few pieces of road art in honour of Froome, Cav, G Thomas and Il Pirata. Hopefully be some more by next Sunday!

    I know the road from Littleborough up there is closed from the bottom of Blackstone Edge all day but there are shuttle buses running up to The White House pub. Signs also up now to say no stopping on any or roads nearby from Thursday night onwards. Seems like your best bet anywhere is to avoid the roads being used, get parked up within cycling distance and ride to wherever you want to watch.Think there will be a massive crown on the corner of Blackstone reservoir where the peloton will have to slow down to go back towards Ripponden. My plan is to ride down to where climb seems to pop up out of the valley and onto the moorland, if theres a bit of wind blowing it could make something happen there.
  • Stage 2. My girlfriend lives in Grenoside so we are planning to spectate on the hill up from Oughtibridge. It is a fairly narrow road; will spectators be allowed? Will there be barriers to sand behind? Will crowds be allowed to flood the road apart from a narrow corridor like you see in France? Will people have to trespass behind the dry stone walls?
    I want to climb hills so badly;
    and I climb hills so badly
  • IanLDIanLD Posts: 423
    Changed my mind from trying to get to Hawes.

    Now looking at Skipton. Anyone got any idea how the parking will be there? Considering getting the train down as another option, but even that is a 04:30 start...
  • prawnyprawny Posts: 5,395
    I've got a travelodge room booked in Colton, was planning on driving to Garforth(?) station and taking a mega early (6-7ish) train into town to watch the big start. Taking the kids so not planning to go and watch any of the route. Possibly getting the train to Harrogate to watch the finish depending on how whiny they're getting by that point.

    Sound reasonable to any of you northern types?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • dwanesdwanes Posts: 954
    IanLD wrote:
    Changed my mind from trying to get to Hawes.

    Now looking at Skipton. Anyone got any idea how the parking will be there? Considering getting the train down as another option, but even that is a 04:30 start...

    There should be plenty of parking facilities around Skipton, but no one can say if there will be spaces available when you get there, it all depends on how many people turn up and when.

    Viewing the race itself in Skipton is going to be the difficult bit as it only touches the outskirt of Skipton and uses narrow(ish) streets going in and out of Skipton, and so there may be a fair bit of walking to do to get a spot for watching it amongst the large strung out crowds.

    It will be a much better option than Hawes. I will be going to Skipton with my young children as there will be plenty to do and to soak up the atmosphere.
  • bradzinbradzin Posts: 33
    Are there any crossing points for cars once the roads have closed?

    I'm staying in Huddersfield and am planning on parking at Greenfield Rd and walking down to Holme Moss.
    To do this I would have to cross the course at some point, ideally near Lockwood to avoid a massive round trip.
    The road up to Holmfirth closes at 7.30am so I was hoping there would be some crossing point open between then and the caravan arriving.

    Also does anyone know what the parking situation is around Crag Vale and Greetland? How far away will you have to park?

    Thanks.
  • IanLDIanLD Posts: 423
    dwanes wrote:
    IanLD wrote:
    Changed my mind from trying to get to Hawes.

    Now looking at Skipton. Anyone got any idea how the parking will be there? Considering getting the train down as another option, but even that is a 04:30 start...

    There should be plenty of parking facilities around Skipton, but no one can say if there will be spaces available when you get there, it all depends on how many people turn up and when.

    Viewing the race itself in Skipton is going to be the difficult bit as it only touches the outskirt of Skipton and uses narrow(ish) streets going in and out of Skipton, and so there may be a fair bit of walking to do to get a spot for watching it amongst the large strung out crowds.

    It will be a much better option than Hawes. I will be going to Skipton with my young children as there will be plenty to do and to soak up the atmosphere.

    Thanks for that info. Think we will get the train - can leave the car at Glasgow Central car park all day for less than £13.

    Don't mind hiking a bit for a decent spot once in Skipton (or out of it as may be the case!). Plan on staying after they have passed through to watch big screen and see what else we can do.
  • Bfc1912Bfc1912 Posts: 1
    bradzin wrote:
    Are there any crossing points for cars once the roads have closed?

    I'm staying in Huddersfield and am planning on parking at Greenfield Rd and walking down to Holme Moss.
    To do this I would have to cross the course at some point, ideally near Lockwood to avoid a massive round trip.
    The road up to Holmfirth closes at 7.30am so I was hoping there would be some crossing point open between then and the caravan arriving.

    Also does anyone know what the parking situation is around Crag Vale and Greetland? How far away will you have to park?

    Thanks.

    They've banned any off road parking for the whole weekend. See the link for the roads this includes http://www.kirklees.gov.uk/events/tourDeFrance/pdf/tourDeFranceRoadRestrictions.pdf there is planned parking on Greenfield Road but this could be mayhem if loads turn up http://www.kirklees.gov.uk/events/tourDeFrance/pdf/LeTourMapHolmeMoss.pdf. They're not putting barriers along the whole route so crossing not a problem by foot
  • theicebuntheicebun Posts: 15
    I know it's short notice but does anyone have 2 spare tickets for York racecourse on Sunday ?

    Thanks
  • cogidubnuscogidubnus Posts: 860
    For those spectating on Jenkin Road, what time do you reckon you will need to get there for a decent spot to watch?
  • markhewitt1978markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    prawny wrote:
    I've got a travelodge room booked in Colton, was planning on driving to Garforth(?) station and taking a mega early (6-7ish) train into town to watch the big start.

    No need, you can walk (20 minutes) from Leeds Colton travelodge to Crossgates station, and get the train into Leeds centre from there.
  • markhewitt1978markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I'm still in two minds if I'm going to go at all, or if it would be too much hassle.

    If I was to view around the Reeth / Grinton area would there be any chance of parking up within 20 miles and cycling down to see the race come past having only spent an hour or so standing at the side of the road?

    It's the idea of having to get there and sit there not moving for 4-5 hours I'm not so keen on.
  • leedsmjhleedsmjh Posts: 194
    I'm still in two minds if I'm going to go at all, or if it would be too much hassle.

    If I was to view around the Reeth / Grinton area would there be any chance of parking up within 20 miles and cycling down to see the race come past having only spent an hour or so standing at the side of the road?

    It's the idea of having to get there and sit there not moving for 4-5 hours I'm not so keen on.

    Catterick Racecourse has parking you can pre-book and is within 20 miles (though you might want to check what time they keep the parking spot open until) and right by the A1 for easier escape. Aside from crowds I don't see why you couldn't get into the Grinton area on a bike. I'll be doing that but probably at 6am so I can cycle up and down Swaledale before settling in for the day.
    The interactive road closures/clearway map is working again: http://letour.yorkshire.com/travel/trav ... mation-map
  • markhewitt1978markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I was considering a plan of parking up somewhere near Barnard Castle, cycling over The Stang, and plonking myself on this grassy bank http://goo.gl/maps/2J6Df sound like a good or daft idea? Just a matter of how close I can get before I would need to park up and where to park up!
  • ProssPross Posts: 22,338
    Where's the best place to park for Oughtibridge? I'll either be driving down from camping at Buttertubs or, possibly, up from South Wales as I might not go for the Saturday now. I'm happy to walk a few miles (I'd rather walk than have the bike with me for the day).
  • RonBRonB Posts: 3,984
    http://www.welcometosheffield.co.uk/grand-depart-sheffield/route-information

    Some good info here. More detailed than the TourdeYorkshire stuff imo, but locals will know best. Hope all goes well.
  • bobbydazzlabobbydazzla Posts: 289
    I was considering a plan of parking up somewhere near Barnard Castle, cycling over The Stang, and plonking myself on this grassy bank http://goo.gl/maps/2J6Df sound like a good or daft idea? Just a matter of how close I can get before I would need to park up and where to park up!

    That's exactly what I'm doing with a couple of pals. Leave cars in Barney, ride over The Stang to Grinton Moor.
Sign In or Register to comment.