Yorkshire TDF - viewing plan

Comments

• stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Got a hotel booked on North East side of Manchester and was hoping to see race in a couple of spots each day but with so many road closures that's looking unlikely.
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    Been for a recce around Woodhead today to check access from my end.
    Woodhead is closed to vehicles from midnight sat night/sun morning until 9.30pm, loads of no parking and resident parking in Glossop and Hadfield, Glossop is the diversion route so will be busier than normal (its shit on a quiet day), Hadfield will be gridlock as there aint much room there anyway.

Found a couple of spots where I could chance dumping the car, depends how early and who else has the same idea, if not its an early dart and cycle over from Stalybridge end.

To give you some idea of the traffic chaos, Speaking to a customer in Holmfirth last week, they are camped in the premises all weekend due to road closures, she said she is getting in work on Friday morning then they are having to live on site until Monday morning due to restrictions.
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    IanLD wrote:
    Have I got any realistic chance of being able to drive down to Hawes on the day and actually get parked in the town?

Not going to have any time off work to come down before and my son doesn't ride on the road, so cycling in to the route not really an option unless there are off road tracks.

Makes my trip over to Belfast for the Giro seem a piece of cake!!!

And also makes me appreciate how easy it is in France. Never had a problem seeing a stage there...

1. Hawes - not unless you get there very, very early morning. Road closures at 7am, with Hawes itself probably closed earlier due to limited parking, night before closed at Buttertubs [with no parking the week before so that capacity for spectators to stand is maintained].

2. Numbers of spectators at the Giro were tiny compared to potential numbers for the Tour#

3. France - average 400k spectators per stage - UK - 1.5 - 2 times that number per stage. Add in the main roads to get into the areas are the actual race route [hence limiting access in] and it all becomes a bit more limited here. Why people keep comparing it to France is beyond me - it passes by most areas every 3-4 years, they are used to it and don't have 200,000 residents whinging about road closures.
  • thefog
    Got a hotel booked on North East side of Manchester and was hoping to see race in a couple of spots each day but with so many road closures that's looking unlikely.

It can be done in some areas, but why bother? All the people claiming they are going to watch in Leeds, Otley, Ilkley or Skipton and then travel over to Harrogate - they are going to be disappointed. Harrogate will only have limited capacity [look at roads into the finish line and they are only wide enough to accommodate a limited numher and that will be 5-6 deep with people just heading for the finish line only in the morning]. Many trying to watch a stage in more than one place will probably not get to where they want to be and may miss out even on a big screen viewing.

Stay where you are if at spectator hubs with screens and enjoy.
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    TheFog wrote:

1. Hawes - not unless you get there very, very early morning. Road closures at 7am, with Hawes itself probably closed earlier due to limited parking, night before closed at Buttertubs [with no parking the week before so that capacity for spectators to stand is maintained].

2. Numbers of spectators at the Giro were tiny compared to potential numbers for the Tour#

3. France - average 400k spectators per stage - UK - 1.5 - 2 times that number per stage. Add in the main roads to get into the areas are the actual race route [hence limiting access in] and it all becomes a bit more limited here. Why people keep comparing it to France is beyond me - it passes by most areas every 3-4 years, they are used to it and don't have 200,000 residents whinging about road closures.

Thanks for that info. I'd found out about road closures approaching Hawes and the roads shut at 06:00 at the latest, but as you say this will likely be even earlier.

Not quite sure what to do as I don't want to come down from Glasgow to have no chance of seeing anything. Also got an early start a couple of days after for Silverstone testing, so trying to avoid being too tired to drive safely.

Giro still had large crowds, but Belfast was a big area to spread them over for stage 1. Train back from Belfast to Larne looked more like a Japanese bullet train the way we were all squeezed on.

Don't see any problem comparing it with France. Agree that they are used to it. The draconian level of road closures and parking restrictions just seems excessive compared with any French stage I've been on, but you are right about the potential numbers that could turn up.

It was actually seeing the Giro that made me consider going to see the Tour too as previously I'd been going to give it a miss. I love seeing stages in France and the relaxed atmosphere there with everyone enjoying the event and easy parking if you follow where the locals are going.
  • stagehopper
    TheFog wrote:

It can be done in some areas, but why bother? All the people claiming they are going to watch in Leeds, Otley, Ilkley or Skipton and then travel over to Harrogate - they are going to be disappointed. Harrogate will only have limited capacity [look at roads into the finish line and they are only wide enough to accommodate a limited number and that will be 5-6 deep with people just heading for the finish line only in the morning]. Many trying to watch a stage in more than one place will probably not get to where they want to be and may miss out even on a big screen viewing.

Stay where you are if at spectator hubs with screens and enjoy.

That's been increasingly my view since they released the interactive map of the road closures. Better off finding a spot and wandering down to a viewing area to see rest of the stage.

Will have to reminisce of the glory days of seeing the Tour in 14 locations over 5 days ...
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,649
    Current plan for Saturday is to drive from my sisters in Pudsey to Guiseley, and park at her friend's house, then get the train to Ilkley to see them through.

Sunday, park in my dad's work next to the Sheffield Arena and enjoy the delights that the stage finish has to offer
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Train, rented Brompton (hopefully) and Rapha Tempest for me; riding out to an uphill bit of stages 1 and 2.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    IanLD wrote:
    TheFog wrote:

Thanks for that info. I'd found out about road closures approaching Hawes and the roads shut at 06:00 at the latest, but as you say this will likely be even earlier.

Not quite sure what to do as I don't want to come down from Glasgow to have no chance of seeing anything. Also got an early start a couple of days after for Silverstone testing, so trying to avoid being too tired to drive safely.

Giro still had large crowds, but Belfast was a big area to spread them over for stage 1. Train back from Belfast to Larne looked more like a Japanese bullet train the way we were all squeezed on.

Don't see any problem comparing it with France. Agree that they are used to it. The draconian level of road closures and parking restrictions just seems excessive compared with any French stage I've been on, but you are right about the potential numbers that could turn up.

It was actually seeing the Giro that made me consider going to see the Tour too as previously I'd been going to give it a miss. I love seeing stages in France and the relaxed atmosphere there with everyone enjoying the event and easy parking if you follow where the locals are going.

The thing is, the race is only here for 2 days, ever.
    The organisers cannot afford ANY mistakes, and this country is full of ignorant, inconsiderate, impatient, mindless numpties that will do something stupid unless fully prevented from doing so.
    Added to this, the roads are very narrow and twisting in most areas over here, and having seen some of the idiotic car parking and abandoned cars during the Tour of Britain I am not surprised they have to go over the top with restrictions.
    Don't forget most people in this country don't know anything about the Tour de France.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Someone I know is working on Cragg Vale and I was looking at the handbook. I knew the procession was big but it's stagge ring the number of vehicles involved. Yes it is a pain in the backside for some but eg Calderdale have invested £1 million on their bit and expect £3 million back - that's a great return. You can cycle on the closed roads until the route check car comes thro' at 3 hours to go.
    M.Rushton
  • I had originally planned on travelling from Colne to Harrogate on the Saturday. Brother in law lives in Harrogate so we were going to park up and walk the mile or so to the finish area.

Now it appears that the roads will be closed from 6.00am until 1 hr after the stage passes through.

I will be travelling the A59 - A65 - A59 but now it appears one of the roundabouts where the route crosses is now also closed so it looks like we will be travelling over before the roads close at 6.00am.

Sunday we are parking in Glossop and cycling up Holme Moss from the south side.

Should be good.
  • For those interested, I am running Fanzones in Leeds and then Harrogate (to be uploaded on Thursday) for stage 1 as well as a a so far secret Fanzone on stage 2 (more to be revealed later this week). There will also be a pre-Fanzone party in Paris to watch the penultimate stage time-trial in a micro brewery sports bar as well as our annual Fanzone on the Champs Elysees.

To take a look go to http://www.facebook.com/TeamSkyFanzone or follow us on Twitter @TeamSkyFanzone
  • gattocattivo
    gattocattivo Posts: 500
    mrushton wrote:
    You can cycle on the closed roads until the route check car comes thro' at 3 hours to go.

Is that official? I won't be in Yorkshire, but would like to ride bits of the Cambridge - London stage before settling down to watch it.
  • thefog
    mrushton wrote:
    You can cycle on the closed roads until the route check car comes thro' at 3 hours to go.

Is that official? I won't be in Yorkshire, but would like to ride bits of the Cambridge - London stage before settling down to watch it.

30 minutes before the publicity caravan, though I understand on Stage 3 its being dealt with a little differently to our operations.
  • thefog
    mrushton wrote:
    Someone I know is working on Cragg Vale and I was looking at the handbook. I knew the procession was big but it's stagge ring the number of vehicles involved. Yes it is a pain in the backside for some but eg Calderdale have invested £1 million on their bit and expect £3 million back - that's a great return. You can cycle on the closed roads until the route check car comes thro' at 3 hours to go.

Generally, the public think we can just close a road for a few bikes to go through, not realising there's the race, -2 hours for publicity caravan [185 vehicles], -3 hours for the route checking vehicle and then prior to that all the stewards, volunteers, barriers and other infrastructure is installed. Hence the lengthy road closure times. Then you have to wait for crowds to disperse before roads can reopen.

Logistically its a major operation involving so many agencies.
  • stagehopper
    Think I've narrowed it down now to Skipton on Day 1 and Hebden Bridge on Day 2. With Skipton will drive up and park as have laid on plenty of parking and with Hebden will drive to Rochdale and get 20 minute train up. Both have fanparks. Quick getaway from Rochdale down south for Great Chesterford the next day.
  • mrushton
    TheFog wrote:
    mrushton wrote:

30 minutes before the publicity caravan, though I understand on Stage 3 its being dealt with a little differently to our operations.

The roads will still be open to pedestrians and cyclists after the closures come into effect at 6.30am so that spectators can get into position to watch the race, until the ASO checking vehicle arrives from approximately 10.30am onwards.
    This from the Calderdale website. So you have until about 11am to get to the top – make sure you look good if you go up that way
    M.Rushton
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    So I guess even if parking up a distance away and cycling in I'd still have to be where i needed to be about 3 hours before the race comes through?
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    With all the towns laying on thousands of parking spots, how much are they gonna charge? Be a bit peed off if they wanted £10 a car.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    My brother and I cycled from Kirby Stephen to Hawes and then up Buttertubs before peeling off the route back to Kirby Stephen yesterday and had a great day. It's what we are planning on doing on the day of the stage. There are a few good spots on Buttertubs with a decent view back down the climb meaning we should get to see riders coming in the distance. Loads of placards advertising parking, and even viewing spots, from the local farmers. It was £5 per adult for a viewing spot, didn't see a price for parking.

I hope the weather is nice and sunny on the day because it'll look stunning if it is. Some pretty steep sections on Buttertubs so we might see a bit of action there. The sheep could also come into play. Loads of sheep just roaming around and on more than one occasion we had to really knock the speed off on the descent because we were unsure what the mad buggers were going to do. Wouldn't fancy hitting one at 70k's!

Even more excited now after cycling a little of the route. Like I say just hope the weather is cracking to do it justice.
  • mrushton
    Supposedly £10 a car around eg Ripponden Bank on the Scammonden Rd, but you might have chance of a quicker getaway up there by heading back to Huddersfield/Denshaw
    M.Rushton
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    I have left it late but just sorted my plans for Saturday and Sunday.

Driving up from London on the Friday evening and have booked the Travelodge in Huddersfield - £150 for the Friday and Saturday which i thought was pretty decent compared to some of the other prices iv seen !!! And it has free parking.

The plan is to ride Holme Moss early Saturday morning then a train into Leeds for the Grand Depart and then on to Harrogate for the finish. Sunday it will be an early ride to Holme Moss to grab a good spot and enjoy the fun !!

Im under the impression that with Holme Moss being closed from Friday onwards will it be open to cycle on Saturday ?? cant seem to find anything that says either way ??
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,158
    Tjgoodhew wrote:
    The plan is to ride Holme Moss early Saturday morning then a train into Leeds for the Grand Depart

How early are you cycling up? I think caravan leaves Leeds around 9ish, could struggle for a view by then
    Tjgoodhew wrote:
    Im under the impression that with Holme Moss being closed from Friday onwards will it be open to cycle on Saturday ?? cant seem to find anything that says either way ??

From http://www.kirklees.gov.uk/events/tourD ... Route.aspx

Once the route is closed to vehicles, cyclists and walkers will still be able to use it until just before the caravan arrives.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Quite a useful map for anyone thinking of viewing Stage 2 between Woodhead to Midhopestones (A628, A616) -

http://www.visit-barnsley.com/content/downloads/Barnsley-Visitor-Map.pdf
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    My plan is to drive part way from Wakefield then bike into Holmfirth, check out the spectator hub & stalls before the climb up to Holme Moss.

The "S" bend about 300m before the transmitter car park looks like a good spot, very steep there as I remember,
    Local Trivia: The field just above the spot mentioned used to be a good spot for magic mushrooms, apparently.
  • bobbydazzla
    bobbydazzla Posts: 289
    I've sacked off the idea of going to Harrogate - traffic jams, massive crowds, probably not seeing much / any of the race itself. The more I thought about it, the more I realised it's not for me.

Instead we're staying in Teesdale on the Friday night then cycling to Grinton Moor to watch them tackle them climb. Am looking forward to a good day, combining spectating and having a decent ride with some pals.
  • thefog
    durhamwasp wrote:
    With all the towns laying on thousands of parking spots, how much are they gonna charge? Be a bit peed off if they wanted £10 a car.

Generally £10. The ASO contract stipulates a Max charge of 10€ but given exchange rate easier to levy £10 (saves hassle for people arranging change at car park entrances).
  • Snorebens
    Snorebens Posts: 759
    Harrogate - stay at Mate's in York - get over to Meadowhalk and up Jenkin Rd sharpish for me. Will see how that pans out but am reliant on public transport so little choice...
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,649
    To be fair I think public transport is the way forward, as there'll be extra trains and trams put on (although you don't need a tram to get to Jenkin Road from Meadowhall)
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    Staying near Harrogate. Will drive there sat morning, get train to leeds for grand depart, get the train back and find somewhere to watch the finish. Sunday get the train to meadowhall and watch from jenkins road, then train back to leeds to catch prebooked train to london

Anyone got any ideas how packed the grand depart might get? Was looking forward to wandering around the start and hopefully seeing a few riders etc but guessing it will be heaving.

Also any thoughts on how early you'll need to be to catch a spot at jenkins road?