Term Time Holidays WTF????

1235»

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    No they didn't - what you are proposing is that every child gets a week off in term time. That never happened 'ba...' - no, sorry, I can't use that phrase. Far to annoying! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bdu98252
    bdu98252 Posts: 171
    The rules were presumably introduced in 2007. That is over 6 years ago and people are only just catching on. I am guessing most people just paid the £60 and did not go to court with some fairly weak arguments and no lawyer.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    that this thread has gone on for 7pages does show that we are passionate about our kids education or maybe its the holidays we really care about?
    I asked my sis what she does for kids who go absent during term times (she is HoD special needs) her reply "if its genuine - sickness etc, we ll set work for them, otherwise, we simply have not the time to provide private tuition for kids who go on that 2wk skiing trip during term, they ll have to catch up on their own" she also said that some never catch up and they just have holes in their understanding.
    her advice was to go when they are very young, its easy to do a little reading or basic maths to a 6yo, away from school than teach gcse triple science to a 15yo in a chalet :)
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    bdu98252 wrote:
    The rules were presumably introduced in 2007. That is over 6 years ago and people are only just catching on. I am guessing most people just paid the £60 and did not go to court with some fairly weak arguments and no lawyer.

The £60 fine didn't start until September in Derbyshire, before that it was a point system. It's up to the school to report the absence to the local authority and then it's up to the LA to dish out the fine, from what I've gathered there aren't that many fines being sent out in our area.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Ballysmate wrote:
    More recently, when my kids were at school, I made sure I attended every parents evening, not that I learned much, but it ensured that my kids knew that I cared what they were doing and taking an interest. My kids got bored of me droning on, imploring the teachers to set more homework.
    As regards my kids poor teachers, I was incredulous when my son's French teacher had to ask his name when I attended his parents evening. Rest assured that no translation was needed to convey my views on her.

Yeh, I used to go to my kid's evenings too. I used to make a point of saying 'thanks' to the good teachers, the ones who had really helped a son on his way. One protested that he was "only doing his job" and I explained that some of them in this room tonight just went through the motions and others actually taught, and he was one of the latter.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    'Exceeding ten school days for the purpose of a holiday' is the bit that has been removed with effect from 1st September 2013. Everything else is as legislated in 2006. Which I presume means that local authorities have had the means to fine but choose not to.

My experience is that the ones who bleat the most are the same ones who don't volunteer for reading roundabout, don't help out with school trips and are too busy to attend open evenings. The fact that we are having this debate suggests that we all care about our kids and their education. I think that's hugely positive even if we don't fully agree
  • Am taking our 5 year old out of school for a week as we're going abroad for 2 weeks during half term.

Contacted the Head to say what our plan was, expecting to be chastised and possibly fined. He couldn't have been nicer and the message he gave us was basically this: if your kid has good attendance and you're not taking the piss with either the length or timing of the holiday then it's fine. And he advised us not to believe the scaremongering in the press.
  • Mikey23
    Excellent!
    We should never let the facts get in the way of a good rant...
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Excellent!
    We should never let the facts get in the way of a good rant...

This is the internet, what have facts got to do with it?
  • Mikey23
    Zackly
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    if your kid has good attendance and you're not taking the wee-wee with either the length or timing of the holiday then it's fine. And he advised us not to believe the scaremongering in the press.
    If your kid has good attendance AND his classmates do, you will often be fine. Make no mistake though, if attendance for other children was not great then he'd have told you no chance - schools simply cannot risk falling foul of ofsted targets for attendance.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Daz555 wrote:
    if your kid has good attendance and you're not taking the wee-wee with either the length or timing of the holiday then it's fine. And he advised us not to believe the scaremongering in the press.
    If your kid has good attendance AND his classmates do, you will often be fine. Make no mistake though, if attendance for other children was not great then he'd have told you no chance - schools simply cannot risk falling foul of ofsted targets for attendance.

Nail on head sir.
    Once again this is all to do with meeting OFSTED's ever changing targets and nothing to do with the kidlywinkles education.
  • Mikey23
    Yup pretty much. If I fail to phone to report kids sicky it goes down as unauthorised absence and affects school performance target...
  • That's no longer true, the government do not publish unauthorised absence figures anymore, just absence figures - all absences, for whatever reason, are counted towards target meeting. However if you don't call school to let them know about an illness absence they have to record it as unauthorised, which can ultimately lead to a fine if a child has significant amount of unauthorised absence.
  • Mikey23
    Is it just me or is Michael Gove a twonk?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    You are not alone Mikey.
  • Mikey23 wrote:

I've never met a Tory I've liked.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • He even looks like a tory. If you had no idea who he was you'd still say 'Tory mp'. Twonk is waaaaay too mild a word for him.
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    Rolf F wrote:
    If you can't afford to go on holiday because of a £360 fine, then you can't afford to go on holiday full stop.

I've had entire holidays cost less than that. So I can't afford something because I can't afford to spend double that on the same thing?

Sounds like twat logic to me.
  • Mikey23
    @nancy Luger ... And I reckon William Haig came out of the womb looking and sounding like that...
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Mikey23 wrote:

No, it's not you. He's a Cu%t
  • Mikey23
    Missus is mild mannered and even tempered hard working primary teacher. Just asked her what she thinks of Michael Gove

Her reply is that he has some crazy ideas about education and seems tobe trying to send schools back to the dark ages. Nuff said
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Bloody hell 8 pages.

Anyway for life is for enjoying your here only the once. Having quality family time together in this rat race today I feel is very important. For you know it the kids are grown up. I know this I have 4 who are 2, 5, 18 and 21! The eldest 2 their childhood flew by so the youngest two I'm making sure we take timeout together.

I'm all for education but doesn't it seem that the system wants to produce robots? Maybe another topic for another thread.

Anyway we're off on June to the Algarve for one week where I will be able to spend a full week with my 2 kids (bar the early morning bike rides I'll do! :lol: ) and they'll benefit from it I'm sure.