New Power meters for team Sky

Comments

• buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    TheBigBean wrote:
    No criticism at all of the post, but am I the only one that has no interest in kit?
    No point posting on the thread then...
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    There is a minimal weight penalty for the stages system - that doesn't sound like an issue when the rest of the peloton are on SRM (except Garmin), but isn't the Pinarello (still) a fairly hefty beast?

Either way - it is a good score for Stages....
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    No criticism at all of the post, but am I the only one that has no interest in kit?
    No. I don't really. Bikes are pretty much all alike.

Isn't that like watching F1 and not caring about the cars? ... a very odd thing to do! :mrgreen:
    Not really. In F1 the cars make an appreciable difference. Generally, it's mostly about the car.

I'd draw more of a comparision to me playing hockey. I don't care what stick people use. I couldn't tell you what sticks I use without going to have a look.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,537
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Same here. Though I can get upset if they don't look nice.

Yes, Belkin, I'm looking at you.

BiciBelkin2014_1.jpg
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • whiteboytrash
    whiteboytrash Posts: 594
    edited January 2014
    okgo wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    Silly Q maybe, but are they deffo sky bikes?

Seems odd they would go from SRM to this system which has huge issues from the sounds of it.

Does it? Based on what? Stages measures strain on one crank only, then basically doubles the figure to arrive at a power figure, but that's the only possible drawback.

Cheap construction, battery draining issues, seems mad that a team with the money and reputation for having the best of the best would go and use a product like this when SRM is recognized by nearly everyone to be the most solid tool for the job.

What are the differences between the two? My understanding, limited at this point, is that Stages only measures one crank arm and not two? Thus it performes an equation to form total power.

Vector measure both sides and can report on each leg. SRM?

DC Rainmaker has an excellent analysis of Stages power meter set-up:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/06/stag ... pdate.html
    Pros:

- Cheapest direct force power meter on market today
    - Easy to install. Silly easy.
    - Tons of crank compatibility options
    - Accelerometer based cadence measurement works really well
    - Utilizes standard CR2032 user-replaceable battery
    - Automatically compensates for temperature changes
    - Lightweight – 20g

Cons:

- Left leg dependent, simply doubles left leg power
    - Total power could be highly impacted by your left/right distribution (but I didn’t see this)
    - No method of end-user calibration validation (for advanced users)
    - Doesn’t support Rotor cranks/arms as of today, or carbon crank arms
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 414
    RichN95 wrote:
    Not really. In F1 the cars make an appreciable difference. Generally, it's mostly about the car.

I'd draw more of a comparision to me playing hockey. I don't care what stick people use. I couldn't tell you what sticks I use without going to have a look.

I reckon you're a Princess kind of guy :D:wink:
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I think that's right - SRM has strain gauges in the spider that can measure the effect of the left and right cranks? Stages just measures non-drive side deflection and calculates from there. Vectors are in each pedal?

Okgo's cheap construction comment presumably is down to reported issues with waterproofing. The battery issue I presume would not be a massive problem for a team like Sky who could just put fresh in before every race.

I'm very pro the peloton using as many different types of solution as possible to create a cheaper trickle down for ordinary riders....
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Isn't that like watching F1 and not caring about the cars? ... a very odd thing to do! :mrgreen:

Philistines!

A wooden club Vs. The Bicycle (along with beer and roast chicken, one of the finest inventions in history)...!?!
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    I ride with a Stages PM.
    I'm very happy with the data so far and it's very easy to switch between my bikes (just a left crank arm swap).
  • liversedge wrote:
    Surprised also.

Maybe Sky have a testing protocol that needs high fidelity and done in Lab/controlled environment, whilst they use the average data from road riding just to quantify training stress ?

Maybe because the data between crank and head unit is encrypted unlike SRM?

Interference from helicopters was a problem last year along with being hacked.

Thoughts?

Stages has Bluetooth LE was is far more secure than Ant+.
  • RichN95.
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Philistines!

A wooden club Vs. The Bicycle (along with beer and roast chicken, one of the finest inventions in history)...!?!
    They're not made of wood. I thought I should point that out.
  • liversedge wrote:
    Surprised also.

Maybe Sky have a testing protocol that needs high fidelity and done in Lab/controlled environment, whilst they use the average data from road riding just to quantify training stress ?

Thoughts?

Do you have a link to SRMs being hacked last year?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    liversedge wrote:
    Surprised also.

Thoughts?

Get the keep net ready, there's one on the line.

:wink:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • whiteboytrash
    whiteboytrash Posts: 594
    edited January 2014
    liversedge wrote:
    Surprised also.

Thoughts?

No link, no. Just to the helicopters. Just anecdotal information I overheard last year. Probably nothing in it. Just hearsay.

Interesting viewpoint though. Power data is very valuable these days considering Sky won't release theirs.

Going Bluetooth over ANT makes sense even just from a interfere point of view.

Never can be too careful, yes?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    nic_77 wrote:
    I ride with a Stages PM.
    I'm very happy with the data so far and it's very easy to switch between my bikes (just a left crank arm swap).

That could be it you know, There was one race that Sky p1ssed all over and were taking the usual powermeter robot cr*p from people that don't know anything and (I think) Richie Porte said that they'd been using compact chainsets which SRM did nt supply.

With a stages it's just a case of swapping the crank arm and you have power on whatever size spider you use.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    edited January 2014
    Delete double post
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    mroli wrote:
    There is a minimal weight penalty for the stages system - that doesn't sound like an issue when the rest of the peloton are on SRM (except Garmin), but isn't the Pinarello (still) a fairly hefty beast?

Either way - it is a good score for Stages....

Pinarello is a heavy bike. I was informed that some of the Sky riders actually ride custom made frames like the Legend etc. It is something that has been done before with other team's because the riders just do not like the sponsored bike,,, they are made so well you cannot tell the difference and as far as the sponsor is concerned no one knows.

A friend of mine purchased a Pinnarello copy from China and it weighed less than the real thing and not much difference in the ride except the copy was punchier and reacted better. The frame and forks cost under a grand a you cannot tell the difference in appearance at all.
    Pinarello's are laughed off the WW sight. They are just awful bikes IMO.

• Do you have a link to SRMs being hacked last year?

No link, no. Just to the helicopters. Just anecdotal information I overheard last year. Probably nothing in it. Just hearsay.

I thought so. Someone like (but not) Blazing Saddles did a joke post on their blog saying that Sky were complaining that their SRMs had been hacked. Attempt at humour. But pure fiction.

See, thats the problem with the internet. Some people cant be bothered or are just disinterested in checking the source of an 'anecdote'. And so they repeat it, and it gets casually - or not so casually - passed off as 'fact.'

The internet, eh?
  • ddraver wrote:
    nic_77 wrote:
    I ride with a Stages PM.

That could be it you know, There was one race that Sky p1ssed all over and were taking the usual powermeter robot cr*p from people that don't know anything and (I think) Richie Porte said that they'd been using compact chainsets which SRM did nt supply.

With a stages it's just a case of swapping the crank arm and you have power on whatever size spider you use.

It was at Tirreno-Adriatico. And it was Christian Knees.

:)
  • Remarkable wrote:
    I don't think the newer versions of the Dura Ace cranks are compatible with SRM units. Think they had to use the 7800 cranks which are getting on a bit now..

Isn't this the "equivalent" Shimano 9000 SRM chainset?

csm_PM-DA9000-Front_e8f8e493a9.png

http://www.srm.de/products/srm-powermeter/11-speed/

Oops..Must be getting them confused with something else! :roll:
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    If the UCI knew anything they would ban these as they don't help the spectacle in any way.

• Do you have a link to SRMs being hacked last year?

I thought so. Someone like (but not) Blazing Saddles did a joke post on their blog saying that Sky were complaining that their SRMs had been hacked. Attempt at humour. But pure fiction.

See, thats the problem with the internet. Some people cant be bothered or are just disinterested in checking the source of an 'anecdote'. And so they repeat it, and it gets casually - or not so casually - passed off as 'fact.'

The internet, eh?

Possibly. I think you misread what I wrote.

I overheard from somewhere else and yes it's a real issue in the peloton.

Just something to think about. Protection of data is a big issue especially when riders and teams prefer not to release it.

The French press would gladly accept a hacked Froome or Porte file. Might even see their real race weights, yes?

Food for thought. Not saying it's happened but I have heard about it and teams are concerned.

Nevertheless if it's a Garmin head unit it doesn't support LE only BT 2.0.

Still much better encryption than Ant+.

Every ridden in a bunch and see your heart rate to to 350? :D
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,537

The internet, eh?

Brailsford offered to buy the UCI some new blood testing machinery, remember?

Wiggins had needle wounds when he hadn't been for a blood test, remember?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • 'trash, of course you heard it somewhere else, of course you did

• See, thats the problem with the internet. Some people cant be bothered or are just disinterested in checking the source of an 'anecdote'. And so they repeat it, and it gets casually - or not so casually - passed off as 'fact.'

The internet, eh?

Brailsford offered to buy the UCI some new blood testing machinery, remember?

Wiggins had needle wounds when he hadn't been for a blood test, remember?

All sorts of scamps on the internetz, so there are
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    'trash, of course you heard it somewhere else, of course you did

Maybe he read it on this thread>>>

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12922423&hilit=power&start=140#p18327031

Thoughts?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • 'trash, of course you heard it somewhere else, of course you did

Thoughts?

Oh that's priceless. I was out in Italy for the Giro and didnt look at the forum much during the race, so missed all that.

Oh 'trash, 'trash....what are we going to do with you....
  • joelsim
    'trash, of course you heard it somewhere else, of course you did

Thoughts?

Oh that's priceless. I was out in Italy for the Giro and didnt look at the forum much during the race, so missed all that.

Give him a hug?
  • Joelsim wrote:

Give him a hug?

You think the root of his problem is low self-esteem?
  • joelsim
    Joelsim wrote:

Give him a hug?

You think the root of his problem is low self-esteem?

Yes maybe. Mine too, give me a hug as well please.