New Power meters for team Sky

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited October 2014 in Pro race
No longer using SRM? They are not listed as sponsor's on their site.

And these are there bikes:
stages.jpg
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• Looks like Stages. Be interesting to see how they get on.
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 406
    No longer using SRM? They are not listed as sponsor's on their site.

And these are there bikes:
    stages.jpg

Be interesting to see if Stages power meters catch on in the pro peloton, they are definitely unobtrusive.
  • frenchfighter
    Also, Garmin are on Vectors.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited January 2014
    Oh thank the lord, the green bidons are all a horrible thing of the past

Blue is the way forward

Ludicrously happy about this

FF, would you mind whacking up a pic of the blueys? Thx!
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    Wont make much difference, they will still be robots looking at their power meters with the only ones allowed to have a massive wattage spike being their riders only.

They do look better than SRM though.
  • MartinGT wrote:
    Wont make much difference, they will still be robots looking at their power meters with the only ones allowed to have a massive wattage spike being their riders only.

So assume that in the unlikely event they came scouting you, you wouldnt be interested?
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Good move for Stages. Just hope they prove reliable over the season etc.
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    MartinGT wrote:

So assume that in the unlikely event they came scouting you, you wouldnt be interested?

"Does not compute" :lol:
  • MartinGT wrote:
    MartinGT wrote:

"Does not compute" :lol:

Well played :)
  • Ludicrously happy about this

Yeah? :?
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Dont think the name on the power meter makes any difference. As long as sponsors throw money at a team It seems they will use almost anything. Or would Team Sky be in the position to only go with kit they particularly like?
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Silly Q maybe, but are they deffo sky bikes?

Seems odd they would go from SRM to this system which has huge issues from the sounds of it.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Ludicrously happy about this

Yeah? :?

1. The green offendeth mine eye
    2. I am a sad individual

WANT TO MAKE SOMETHING OF IT?

:wink:
  • Err, no.

(Backs away slowly...)
  • feltkuota
    feltkuota Posts: 333
    okgo wrote:

Seems odd they would go from SRM to this system which has huge issues from the sounds of it.

Due to the blue band on the seat post I'll say yes.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    okgo wrote:

Does it? Based on what? Stages measures strain on one crank only, then basically doubles the figure to arrive at a power figure, but that's the only possible drawback.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    Oh thank the lord, the green bidons are all a horrible thing of the past

Blue is the way forward

Ludicrously happy about this

FF, would you mind whacking up a pic of the blueys? Thx!
    BdnLabACEAAtlK3.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    andyp wrote:
    okgo wrote:

Does it? Based on what? Stages measures strain on one crank only, then basically doubles the figure to arrive at a power figure, but that's the only possible drawback.

Cheap construction, battery draining issues, seems mad that a team with the money and reputation for having the best of the best would go and use a product like this when SRM is recognized by nearly everyone to be the most solid tool for the job.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • frenchfighter
    CycleSystemsAcademy
    @CycleSystemsAc
    Team Sky trying out a great looking new power meter. Pics/details when I'm allowed to tweet 'em!

--

te8apy8y.jpg

asa2u9e8.jpg

See different head units also.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Wouldn't SRM power meters be better since Stages only measures the power on one side rather than the total power?

I suppose they could train on SRM and race on Stages though? Best of both worlds?
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    Also, Garmin are on Vectors.
    I'd be worried if they weren't!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545

asa2u9e8.jpg

See different head units also.

I think the lads just had a shave, not a head transplant.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    okgo wrote:

D12 :lol:
  • I don't think the newer versions of the Dura Ace cranks are compatible with SRM units. Think they had to use the 7800 cranks which are getting on a bit now..
  • Remarkable wrote:
    I don't think the newer versions of the Dura Ace cranks are compatible with SRM units. Think they had to use the 7800 cranks which are getting on a bit now..

Isn't this the "equivalent" Shimano 9000 SRM chainset?

csm_PM-DA9000-Front_e8f8e493a9.png

http://www.srm.de/products/srm-powermeter/11-speed/
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    Surprised also.

Maybe Sky have a testing protocol that needs high fidelity and done in Lab/controlled environment, whilst they use the average data from road riding just to quantify training stress ?
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,620
    No criticism at all of the post, but am I the only one that has no interest in kit?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    TheBigBean wrote:
    No criticism at all of the post, but am I the only one that has no interest in kit?
    No. I don't really. Bikes are pretty much all alike.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,620
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

I can just about appreciate the difference between a mountain bike, a cyclocross bike and a road bike - although, to be fair, I'm not sure I really understand why the first two are so different as the terrain seems similar.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Isn't that like watching F1 and not caring about the cars? ... a very odd thing to do! :mrgreen: