is the hardtail a dying breed?

Comments

• Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    -snip- You could always put suspension on a fatty by cutting a dual-arch Magura TS8 29er fork in half, widening the crown and gluing it back together again...
    http://singletrackworld.com/2014/01/mag ... bike-fork/

Not sure how well that will hold up but its pretty damn genius!
  • Think I'm going to be the only person on here who has never actually ridden a full sus. Never really wanted to I like my hard tails. Plus a full sus would be wasted on me.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Northwind wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Fully rigid seems (sadly) to be a dying breed

The lack of entry-level rigids is ridiculous tbh, there's so few £300-£400 bikes that wouldn't be improved by throwing the fork in the bin and fitting a rigid one, but then no bugger'd buy it.

I can see the logic but it's a shame - lots of people who don't need suspension are being sold bikes with an extra kilogram of iron at the front for no real advantage to them.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Cookeh wrote:
    -snip- You could always put suspension on a fatty by cutting a dual-arch Magura TS8 29er fork in half, widening the crown and gluing it back together again...

Why wouldn't it last indefinitely? Not exactly a bodge job, you'd assume Magura know what they're doing!
  • Cookeh
    njee20 wrote:
    Cookeh wrote:

Why wouldn't it last indefinitely? Not exactly a bodge job, you'd assume Magura know what they're doing!

It's a single engineer from Magura, not the company itself. It doesn't state exactly what s/he is an engineer of either - and given that plumbers/electricians/every man and his dog is now classed as an engineer it doesn't necessarily mean he works on the forks themselves. Granted it looks like its finished to a high quality, but that doesn't always translate to a lot in real world circumstance.

Please also note I didn't say it won't hold up, I said I didn't know how well it would hold up - this means it could do anything between fail immediately and be faultless, and no-one can know until it gets some form of testing/feedback.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I doubt an engineer working for a German company is a plumber's dog, but just for interest, Reiner Kuenstle has a number of patents with the EPO for suspension and braking components on behalf of Maginwirth (owners of Magura.)
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Always pays to do your homework before chipping in being a smart@rse
  • Cookeh
    cooldad wrote:
    I doubt an engineer working for a German company is a plumber's dog, but just for interest, Reiner Kuenstle has a number of patents with the EPO for suspension and braking components on behalf of Maginwirth (owners of Magura.)

Interesting. Cheers!
    Always pays to do your homework before chipping in being a smart@rse

Right, because explaining the reasoning behind my post, based off the information provided in the link, makes me a smart@rse.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Cookeh wrote:
    Right, because explaining the reasoning behind my post, based off the information provided in the link, makes me a smart@rse. Following your logic, I guess a post as moronic as yours makes you an autist.

Ooo, look, somebody went and took the internet seriously. Surely not...
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh wrote:
    Right, because explaining the reasoning behind my post, based off the information provided in the link, makes me a smart@rse. Following your logic, I guess a post as moronic as yours makes you an autist.

Ooo, look, somebody went and took the internet seriously. Surely not...

Hey man, seems to be the only way to fit in here! Got to get offended by everything!!

Explains why you'd post that, still bitter, I see?
  • Angus Young
    Cookeh wrote:
    Hey man, seems to be the only way to fit in here! Got to get offended by everything!!

Nope. Just amused.
  • Cookeh
    edited January 2014
    Cookeh wrote:

Nope. Just amused.

You and me both, man. Its a post not even directed at you, or that has anything to do with you, and I've still managed to get a rise out of you. You make it too easy, old man, you really do.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    njee20 wrote:
    you'd assume Magura know what they're doing!

Honestly, going by my mate's Thors, I really wouldn't.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    flashbax wrote:
    Think I'm going to be the only person on here who has never actually ridden a full sus. Never really wanted to I like my hard tails. Plus a full sus would be wasted on me.
    Never ridden one? How could you possibly know if you'd like it or if it would be wasted?

I waited until 2009 to buy my first full suss after a couple of decades riding hardtails on the trails. Frankly I'd never go back to a bike which is squishy only at one end again. Full suss is worth the comfort alone regardless of the performance advantage when hitting the trails hard. There are now only two kinds of bike for me - rigid or full suss. I now place hardtails in the murky middle waters between 2 good extremes and I have no desire to get my feet wet there again.

That's me though. Each to their own of course.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Angus Young
    Cookeh wrote:
    You and me both, man. Its a post not even directed at you, or that has anything to do with you, and I've still managed to get a rise out of you. You make it too easy, old man, you really do.

Clearly the irony contained in your edit escapes you.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh wrote:

Clearly the irony contained in your edit escapes you.

2 days later the same post is still getting a rise out of you! Amazing! Clearly your own idiocy escapes you - you already know the sole reason I post, I explained it to you, and yet here you are... :wink::mrgreen:
  • Cookeh
    Besides, I already responded to the irony, or is dementia kicking in in your old age?
    Cookeh wrote:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Children, children, children.

How is this still going on. :roll:
  • Angus Young
    Cookeh wrote:
    Besides, I already responded to the irony, or is dementia kicking in in your old age?
    Cookeh wrote:

You sure post a lot for someone who really, really doesn't care...
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh wrote:
    Cookeh wrote:

You sure post a lot for someone who really, really doesn't care...

As I have already explained to you - have you considered you may have Alzheimers? - I post advice, or I post to wind up the overly-sensitive or those incapable of quitting while they're ahead. My motives for the former are obvious, my motives for the second is that it really does amuse me, its a nice break from studying. I'm sat here giggling and bemused while you're over there, furiously sucking on a Werthers Original in your slippers, getting wound up over nothing. You, sir, are why I post a lot.
    njee20 wrote:
    Children, children, children.

Hey! I am still, technically, a child - only for a few more days though :(
    njee20 wrote:
    How is this still going on. :roll:

I honestly have no idea, I thought it was over when there was a 2 day leave of absence by the Honorable Angus, apparently not.
  • Angus Young
    Wow, and you managed to get into Uni? Is your dad on the selection board?

And you sure do edit a lot for someone who really doesn't care...
  • Cookeh
    Wow, and you managed to get into Uni? Is your dad on the selection board?

And you sure do edit a lot for someone who really doesn't care...

Apologies for missing njee's post initially. I could have made an additional post, but thought an edit was more appropriate.

Yes, I certainly did, but it was my Mother that was on the selection board...

No, I lie, I had ABB at A2, alongside a tonne of UCAS points from various grades in Piano/Sax. Really, I should have scored higher, AAA was attainable based on mock tests results, but I slacked off due to motivation issues - story of my life.. Currently working at a top 2.1, low 1st level - goal is to get a mid 1st however - in my third year of an undergraduate Masters in Chemistry, with the aim to do a PhD in nanomaterials/nanocarbon (undecided at the moment). I'm far from lacking intellectually, as you can see. Boredom/amusement being the main cause behind my so called 'trolling'.

Seriously man, you have to stop taking this so seriously.

EDIT: Horrible syntax in the last sentence, but ah well.
  • cooldad
    I am seriously impressed that you are doing so well academically and still only twelve. Child prodigy, obviously.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    Cookeh wrote:
    Apologies for missing njee's post initially. I could have made an additional post, but thought an edit was more appropriate.

Yes, I certainly did, but it was my Mother that was on the selection board...

No, I lie, I had ABB at A2, alongside a tonne of UCAS points from various grades in Piano/Sax. Really, I should have scored higher, AAA was attainable based on mock tests results, but I slacked off due to motivation issues - story of my life.. Currently working at a top 2.1, low 1st level - goal is to get a mid 1st however - in my third year of an undergraduate Masters in Chemistry, with the aim to do a PhD in nanomaterials/nanocarbon (undecided at the moment). I'm far from lacking intellectually, as you can see. Boredom/amusement being the main cause behind my so called 'trolling'.

Seriously man, you have to stop taking this so seriously.

EDIT: Horrible syntax in the last sentence, but ah well.

You really don't get it.
  • Cookeh
    cooldad wrote:
    I am seriously impressed that you are doing so well academically and still only twelve. Child prodigy, obviously.

Why thank you, means a lot.
  • cooldad
    You really don't get it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cookeh
    cooldad wrote:
    You really don't get it.

You chaps don't seem to get it either.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Back on topic please.
  • Angus Young
    supersonic wrote:
    Back on topic please.

Hard tails are for girls. It's rigids that sort the men from the boys.
  • This is just got silly, Ok when you guys have put your toys away and calmed down.
    Right looking at the GT I-drive can pick them up fairly cheap. Not the best spec but for the price (my ps3).Not really going to dent the wallet.
    And get a view on the full sus world; I just don’t think I need more than 140 front travel and good old steel frame to take the vibes out of the rough with some mountain king 2.2 to help dampen the impact.
    It’s just my novice view I could be getting it totally wrong.