is the hardtail a dying breed?

Comments

• For me at least, Matrixdesign2 has hit the nail on the head, although I'm one of those flat peddlers you speak of :P Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of modern intelligent bike design (and from owning a 2012 stumpy I can assure you- it works) but for grin factor a big heavy simple HT can't be beat
    2015 Giant Glory 1 27.5
    1975 Vindec Vogue
    1968 Raleigh RSW "Boris"

xX Forever in our hearts mum Xx
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    a big heavy simple HT can't be beat

That's the exact opposite of the point he makes :?
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    njee20 wrote:

Not quite?
    To be honest I don't really give a ****, the simplicity of a HT suits my busy and cost conscious life style.

What are you missing? :D
  • njee20
    I love riding a HT with primitive 26inch wheels, whilst being clipped in :)light and nimble. Up hill I easily blast past people bobbing up and down, on bigger wheeled bikes with flat pedals. Problem is they catch me up on the descents!!!

Depends which bit you focus on, but if you take the light/fast bit out of the equation Sir.Swish's point is rather different to Mattrixdesign's, although yes, they are both celebrating the simplicity.
  • I have heavy HT's in my arsenal, I agreed with matrix' point, but I didn't aim to echo it word for word. Lets get back on topic :)
    2015 Giant Glory 1 27.5
    1975 Vindec Vogue
    1968 Raleigh RSW "Boris"

xX Forever in our hearts mum Xx
  • Yeah simplicity is key for me, but with the bonus of simplicity = lighter weight. I have had enough issues with front forks, an old set seized (cheap forks), on my new HT the Rebas now have remote lock problems despite only being over a year old! The thought of paying for, tweaking, maintaining a rear shock doesn't really appeal - but in all fairness I only ride MTB about 20 times a year, I will never be a super descender - so like to hone my climbing skills. I even enjoy a bit of ridgid off roading using my CX, great fun with an added challenge.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Yeah simplicity is key for me, but with the bonus of simplicity = lighter weight. I have had enough issues with front forks, an old set seized (cheap forks), on my new HT the Rebas now have remote lock problems despite only being over a year old! The thought of paying for, tweaking, maintaining a rear shock doesn't really appeal - but in all fairness I only ride MTB about 20 times a year, I will never be a super descender - so like to hone my climbing skills. I even enjoy a bit of ridgid off roading using my CX, great fun with an added challenge.

Best way to avoid issues is to look after your suspension. A yearly service and they'll keep going for years. Neglect the bike and it's going to fail prematurely.
  • Not neglected, hardly use bike, its the useless poploc that gone! A known problem, the forks run fine other than that.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Remote locks are for weirdos anyway. Always strikes me as odd that rear remotes are so rare, when rear lockout is more useful and harder to switch on while riding, while fork remotes are common despite fork lockout being really not that handy, and easily done while riding.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Not neglected, hardly use bike,

That can do as much (or more) harm as using it lots - things may not wear out, but they seize up from lack of use (especially if you washed it before putting it away and got a bit of moisture in there to help it corrode and seize while it's stood...).
  • Soggz
    Soggz Posts: 221
    No.
  • Cookeh
    Soggz wrote:
    No.

A very constructive and well thought out and balanced response there. I find myself being drawn to the same conclusion as a result of the depth and breadth you illustrated with your argument.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Cookeh wrote:
    Soggz wrote:
    No.

A very constructive and well thought out and balanced response there. I find myself being drawn to the same conclusion as a result of the depth and breadth you illustrated with your argument.

TBF, Soggz has answered the question that was asked. And I make him right
  • Cookeh
    BigAl wrote:
    Cookeh wrote:
    Soggz wrote:
    No.

TBF, Soggz has answered the question that was asked. And I make him right

Tbh, its the same answer I drew conclusion too as well, just in a more round-about, explained way :P Conciseness is the way forward however, it seems!
  • PBNinja
    PBNinja Posts: 44
    in answer to the original question, i wouldn't even consider a FS, it's overkill for my needs of pootling about with the mates once in a while. The trails they ride here don't appear to be insurmountable for the lack of rear suspension.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,081
    njee20 wrote:

I have an Orange P7 - his point is valid for me :)
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Fully rigid seems (sadly) to be a dying breed, but the hardtail is alive and well from what I've seen. For light weight, simplicity and hill climbing fully rigid is the way to go!
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hardtails are for poor people, and as the poor are always with us, they will not die out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    Fully rigid seems (sadly) to be a dying breed

Why is it sad!? There's still a niche minority who ride rigid, whether for simplicity, reduced maintenance, or just because they can.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    cooldad wrote:
    Hardtails are for poor people, and as the poor are always with us, they will not die out.

What about poor people like me who have HTs worth more than a lot of other peoples bouncers. I am confused I need to know which tribe/class/ABCD profile I belong to so I can sneer at other peoples bikes.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    stubs wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

What about poor people like me who have HTs worth more than a lot of other peoples bouncers. I am confused I need to know which tribe/class/ABCD profile I belong to so I can sneer at other peoples bikes.
    As you are poor, it must be stolen, and as I don't associate with common thieves, I cannot be of further assistance.

Now if you had been a banker and nicked millions we could be friends.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    cooldad wrote:
    stubs wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

As you are poor, it must be stolen, and as I don't associate with common thieves, I cannot be of further assistance.

I didnt steal the bike but I did earn the money for it by flogging some of the proletariat and now I flaunt it in there microwave chip and red bull malnourished faces. Does this make it alright if necessary I could go and throw some orphans on the fire and sell there clothes for rags.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    You might just make it, but such a waste of orphans. They make excellent mini miners.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • BigAl
    stubs wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    stubs wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I didnt steal the bike but I did earn the money for it by flogging some of the proletariat and now I flaunt it in there microwave chip and red bull malnourished faces. Does this make it alright if necessary I could go and throw some orphans on the fire and sell there clothes for rags.
    Your grammar betrays your true roots and class
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    BigAl wrote:
    stubs wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    stubs wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Your grammar betrays your true roots and class

What's she got to do with it? He could easily have pulled himself out of poverty within two generations.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • BigAl
    What's she got to do with it? He could easily have pulled himself out of poverty within two generations.
    Took me a second or two, but now I see what you did there
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Giraffoto wrote:

The lack of entry-level rigids is ridiculous tbh, there's so few £300-£400 bikes that wouldn't be improved by throwing the fork in the bin and fitting a rigid one, but then no bugger'd buy it.

But I reckon once you get up the ranges a bit, rigids are having a bit of a resurgence. Not massive, but fat ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    Don't be too hard on yourself, just eat fewer pies.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • a4d
    a4d Posts: 3
    I hope not, just about to build a long travel 140mm one this year (probably as i cant afford a decent full susser :D )
  • Northwind wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:

The lack of entry-level rigids is ridiculous tbh, there's so few £300-£400 bikes that wouldn't be improved by throwing the fork in the bin and fitting a rigid one, but then no bugger'd buy it.

But I reckon once you get up the ranges a bit, rigids are having a bit of a resurgence. Not massive, but fat ;)

You could always put suspension on a fatty by cutting a dual-arch Magura TS8 29er fork in half, widening the crown and gluing it back together again...
    http://singletrackworld.com/2014/01/mag ... bike-fork/