Stages Power Meter - battery draining?

Comments

• kayakerchris
    kayakerchris Posts: 361
    I wonder if it does not properly sleep if it is near bluetooth signals. I had no problems with my battery until one night when I rode about 30km then had the bike in the bedroom with me all night. The Garmin was off but my iPhone was in the room as well and i have previously used the iPhone to update the firmware. even though the app was not active in the morning the battery was flat.

I then had exactly the same happen a couple of months later.

I would now turn off the bluetooth on my phone as well.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I rode about 30km then had the bike in the bedroom with me all night

And i thought i loved my bike! :lol:

It sounds like there are still a few issues with Stages.
    I can't imagine the bluetooth from other devices would be interfering but i would log it all with Stages and ask for some answers.
  • Just had a mail from Stages EU, circuit board has failed (known issue) not repairable,new G2 on the way. Good service so far.
    Trek SLR 1500 Ultegra 9 spd
    Team Raleigh Dura Ace 7900
    Scott Foil Team Issue Dura Ace 9000
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I now have this problem too (G2 ultegra).

Original battery something like five or six months of heavy use, fitted two more batteries which didn't seem to last long so I decided to make a note this time.

Battery change was 15 December, mostly sat in the garage since then with only 150 miles done and low battery warning this morning.

Fired off a support ticket, rather annoyed.

Will push for a refund if they can't guarantee a fix as I'm still within a year of purchase.
  • pastryboy wrote:
    Will push for a refund if they can't guarantee a fix as I'm still within a year of purchase.

Have you considered that the problem maybe with the replacement batteries that you are using?
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • pastryboy
    Yes so I bought Duracell. One from the same pack has been doing just fine in my HRM with higher level of use for a while now.

Lot of people reporting this problem so not just dodgy batteries. Unfortunately can't find any comments from people as to whether there's a fix or what the end result was.
  • PK1
    PK1 Posts: 193
    Put it in the airing cupboard for a few days with the battery cover and battery removed. That worked for me !
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I've used 2 batteries in the last few months, I do think it's the cold / damp weather that does it. I'm going to take off the PM and bring it inside and see if the warmth of the house helps it. Certainly won't do any harm.
  • pastryboy
    Well the battery I put in yesterday was down to nearly nothing in under 36 hours (unused in a cold garage).

What I noticed when I removed it was a layer of mist on the battery like I'd breathed on it when it was cold. I had noticed that before when removing batteries but wasn't 100% sure when it had occurred.

It is currently in the airing cupboard with the cover off.

Will try another battery tomorrow and stick some electrical tape over the cover. I thought all the bad reports about Stages were the gen 1s but this is pretty shoddy.
  • PK1 wrote:
    Put it in the airing cupboard for a few days with the battery cover and battery removed. That worked for me !

This is bordering on not fit for purpose.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Another winter, another issue with batteries. This is the fourth year that this has happened now so I'm past the point where there's any chance of a replacement, despite being on my third unit now. It's absolutely ridiculous that this always happens after a cold, wet period.
  • PK1
    Best to have 2, one in the airing cupboard drying out and one on your bike :-)
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Hair dryers??
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    20170110_114513.jpgupload image

This is mine (Gen2?) that has been subject to some heavy duty/abuse duty .. doesnt really miss a beat. Battery changed over at weekend from November... prior to that August . Bike is stored sometimes wet thru and then freezing cold in a shed. As you see.. I do like to keep tabs on when I replace ... the Stages phone app is good for a quick battery check up.... it is the Garmin 520 that now prompts a low battery warning when it comes to that point.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Mine has just started playing up. Gen 2, first battery lasted 1400 miles and about 6 months, put a new battery in a few days ago and it lasted a day, so put another one in and same happened again.
  • pastryboy
    I am now in touch with Stages support. They asked me to take pictures of it - but that's not happening I just can't get clear ones as there's no natural light - and let them know how the unit is normally stored. They said there'd been a few people in the UK with this problem since the weather 'turned' so are looking to identify the cause. They said moisture in the unit is generally why this problem happens.

My unit had 24 hours in the airing cupboard, has a new battery and some strips of electrical tape over the battery compartment. Using it for the commute tomorrow so will check the battery level tomorrow evening.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I bought a Stages last year when Sigma Sport were selling them off ridiculously cheap and it was ok until just after Christmas when I had my first flat battery. I had the same reply from Stages and they've sent me a spare o-ring and battery door (even though there's nothing up with the current ones), but I really can't be bothered with the thing if all it takes is a turn in the weather for it to fail. I've had a PowerTap hub in the past which was fine until it died (after >2 years) and 2 Power2max that have worked flawlessly for over 4 years.

I could almost live with the questionable numbers (compared to my Power2max), but if it's going to eat batteries anytime it gets a bit cold then I'll probably try for a refund because it's just not worth the hassle. Power meters should just work.
    More problems but still living....
  • PK1
    Just went into my LBS at the weekend and a G2 stages was on the desk waiting to go back to Stages due to battery problems. I did mention drying it in the airing cupboard would probably fix it :-)
  • pastryboy
    Mine is showing full battery despite a week of cold and wet.

Its definitely moisture in the unit so anyone with problems should go the airing cupboard route
  • pastryboy
    Spoke too soon, think it will be going back
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    Farcical. Just buy a proper PM, preferably crank based. More accurate, more reliable and not all that more expensive, especially if you consider resale.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • amaferanga
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Farcical. Just buy a proper PM, preferably crank based. More accurate, more reliable and not all that more expensive, especially if you consider resale.

I agree. I have a proper PM - a Power2max Type S. I had a Power2max Classic before that and a Powertap. All three just worked, in any weather.

I bought a Stages for my commuter and mtb because it was less than £200 and I figured they can't be that bad.

How wrong I was! I only got a few weeks trouble free until it got cold and the battery died. Now Stages support have been good, but I can't get over just how ridiculous it us that they're telling me that condensation formed in my Stages despite the fact that the battery door and seal are absolutely fine and installed properly. They make it sound like it's just one of those things. It's bloody not and it doesn't affect any other "waterproof" device I know of. Then after drying the thing out and another dead battery they start blaming the battery saying I must use branded batteries!

Forgetting the questionable data (which compared to my Power2max looks very odd at times), I just don't understand why people are prepared to spend over £500 on these things that aren't even bloody waterproof. Even for the £200 that I paid, if they can't be used in any weather then that's about £199 too much.
  • amaferanga wrote:
    I just don't understand why people are prepared to spend over £500 on these things that aren't even bloody waterproof.

But but Team Sky use them..........
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    amaferanga wrote:
    I just don't understand why people are prepared to spend over £500 on these things that aren't even bloody waterproof.

But but Team Sky use them..........
    But perhaps Dave Brailsford got a good deal on 20,000 batteries on Amazon?
  • pastryboy
    Teebs_123 wrote:

No doubt crank is the best option but I use my Stages on three bikes and switch between road and MTB pedals.

Only a single sided left arm offers the flexibility I need. Pioneer appears to require a £30 magnet for each additional bike so I'm looking at 4iii.

I'd be tempted by pedal based but I'd be worried about damaging them in addition to leaving me with some obsolete shoes/pedals/cleats.

Other than a couple of one second power recordings that were way too high the Stages was just fine for me. Numbers were in line with that I was seeing on a wattbike.
  • pastryboy
    amaferanga wrote:

I was aware there'd been problems with then first gen but assumed they'd have fixed it for the second gen as that was marketed as an improved battery cover. I think this is the first full winter of people having the second gen.

Stages reckon it isn't water penetration but something to do with resistance in the battery and cold temperatures. That sounds iffy to me - my garmin cadence sensor used the same battery and that was absolutely faultless in all kinds of weather. Similarly, I've got a wireless doorbell that is working just fine off a battery in the cold.

What does seem to be the case is that the battery isn't actually low like the unit is reporting. The battery that was 'low' yesterday is showing as full when I re-fitted indoors in the warm.
  • amaferanga
    They should withdraw them from sale until they know why they fail so often.

I guess it does distract folk from how suspect the data is though.....
  • teebs_123
    pastryboy wrote:
    Teebs_123 wrote:

No doubt crank is the best option but I use my Stages on three bikes and switch between road and MTB pedals.

Only a single sided left arm offers the flexibility I need. Pioneer appears to require a £30 magnet for each additional bike so I'm looking at 4iii.

I'd be tempted by pedal based but I'd be worried about damaging them in addition to leaving me with some obsolete shoes/pedals/cleats.

Other than a couple of one second power recordings that were way too high the Stages was just fine for me. Numbers were in line with that I was seeing on a wattbike.

Agree about the flexibility, but that's no good when you're without it for weeks because it's going back to Stages, again.

You're right about the pedal options, my P1's were pretty much a nightmare, excluding the cleat interface which was rubbish at best. My Quarq DZero was £300 cheaper than the pedal options.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • teebs_123
    amaferanga wrote:

Agree, must be an utter nightmare for the UK distributors.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    amaferanga wrote:

We have no idea how many they've sold. There might be tens of thousands of them out there being used without problem.

Its very difficult to judge how reliable something actually is from forums or internet searches.