Fred Whitton 2014 Changes

Comments

• Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    Tried to drive over Hardknott on the way home today. The road is closed. Hopefully that means they're resurfacing it. Bit of a pain that the first actual road closure sign was at Boot, rather than at Irton Road or Holmrook. Plenty of signs pointing people who'd been diverted, but no indication of what road was closed.
    Might head out on the bike that way on Wednesday.
  • jxohn
    jxohn Posts: 38
    Perhaps a tunnel!
  • nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    Hardknott is what makes the Fred. You can feel the tension during the flat approach along the valley floor. Nobody is taking and everyone is fixated on the ribbon of tarmac winding upwards in the distance. I think a lot of riders crack mentally before they even start the climb. Yes we all know that walking is almost as quick as riding it (except the middle 'flat' section) but I think that doing all of the climbs without walking is of equal importance to getting a good time.
  • jxohn
    Last year I was going for a time so mentally I said to myself ride to the start of Hardknott and ignore the rest. In many ways it worked I got a '1st class' time under 8hrs but was exhausted at the beginning of Hardknott. Had to walk up the steep sections but was certainly in the majority and not much slower. I guess it depends what your goals are coupled to ability. Bear in mind you may have to walk up Hardknott anyway if someone stops in front of you or cars are obstructing the bends.
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    The most difficult part of Hardknott is negotiating the traffic both Human and mechanical. Please if you do dismount don't obstruct people coming up, if you do, expect people to swear at you excessively.

Likewise when I was going up last year I was telling people to move. Words to the effect of 'coming through - move'
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,048
    nammynake wrote:
    For those who did it last year in the rain, what clothing advice would you give should we have similar conditions?

Depends on the individual. I had shorts and short sleeves, fingerless mitts with some thin glove liners under and race shoes with the addition of arm and leg warmers - I carried a light castelli rain jacket which went on when it started raining. Yes I was chilly on Cold Fell but not that cold. I'm not saying do as I did, I know some people were hypothermic, but unless the forecast was horrendous personally I wouldn't go mad.

I think if I did it again knowing the weather was going to be as bad the one thing I'd have taken is a cap under the helmet to keep the rain off.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • hatone
    hatone Posts: 228
    As it's exactly one month before the Fred, should anyone not be able to make it for whatever reason, I will happily take their place. Your entry can be carried over to 2015. Please PM me.

Always wanted to do the Fred and see what Hardknott is all about..!
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    Hardknott has reopened, which is good as an event goes over this weekend. They've patched up the worst bits, but done a half-arsed job of compacting, so there's already a fair bit of loose new tarmac chippings. The rippled tarmac on the climb is still there, and the sheep are still suicidal.
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    Did the FW back in 2009 and it was the best day on a bike this side of the Channel. Sportives in the UK don't get tougher than this one, so best of luck to you all!
  • stratcat
    stratcat Posts: 160
    Guanajuato wrote:
    Hardknott has reopened, which is good as an event goes over this weekend. They've patched up the worst bits, but done a half-arsed job of compacting, so there's already a fair bit of loose new tarmac chippings. The rippled tarmac on the climb is still there, and the sheep are still suicidal.
    All part of the fun :mrgreen:
  • nammynake
    Where did all of the time go?! I remember it being January and thinking I have loads of time to prepare and a detailed training plan. I've done some reasonable prep but I'm going to need to the next few weeks to improve further. In my current state I'm sure I'd get round, but it wouldn't be pretty!

I've been doing hilly weekend rides of around 75 miles so ideally need to add on another 5 or 10. I think my longest ride last year was just over 80 so don't need to do mega miles.

I was hoping for sub 7 hours (weather dependent) but I'd be glad with sub 8 given my averge preparation.
  • hatone wrote:
    As it's exactly one month before the Fred, should anyone not be able to make it for whatever reason, I will happily take their place. Your entry can be carried over to 2015. Please PM me.

Always wanted to do the Fred and see what Hardknott is all about..!

Think you'll be lucky. I have done the Fred 9 times and helped out 4 times to put that in the mix.

It's photo ID only on the day of sign on. That goes for all successful entries. That is to be confirmed in the rider packs that will be sent out very soon so be sure to familiarise yourselves with that.

You're right in that any default entry gets put to next year but we have a reserves list that takes priority and even that is now coming to a close around the end of April / Early May.

Any other questions then just shout up but the vast majority of it has been covered it would seem.

Just enjoy the day and keep pedalling!
  • Forgot to say that I'm a member of the Lakes Road Club so am on the helpers committee. Cheers.
  • robklancs
    robklancs Posts: 498
    Hi, carbon overlord, it looks like I may have to withdraw, having been hit by a car last week I'm probably in no fit state to pedal. What do I need to do?
  • Oh, that's awful! Hope you and the bike are OK?! You can PM me your details or better still, just fill in the contact us form on the Fred website and Lofty will pick it up from there. I hope you start to feel better soon.
    All the best.
  • robklancs
    Yes I will fix up ok, not sure when though. I was desperate to do the fred but might be sensible to defer to next year will get the physios advice on Monday and take it from there. There's a thread about it over on road general I think. Ok I will head to the fred website on Monday hopefully someone can benefit from my mis fortune.
  • Okey doke. Take it easy till Monday. Keep me or the Fred website contact form updated with what you want to do.

I'm new to the site so if you have the link then post it up on here for me. Cheers!
  • markynulty
    markynulty Posts: 409
    Hope everyone had a cracking day and got round safely!

06:29:52 for me.
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 867
    That's an amzing time. Kudos to you for that! I sauntered in at 7:58:42, with an actual 'ride time' of 7:15. Bloomin chuffed witg my actual time anyway, & managed to make it up Hardknott without walking too, which was a major target of mine. Great day all round considering the cruddy weather, but I hope the 2 riders being treated by paramedics are hoing to be ok. One of them was about to be airlifted away from the Wrynose descent. Chapeau to all who took part & contributed to the day.
  • nammynake
    7:40 for me. 10 minutes faster than last year. Was so glad that the weather held up. Only a few showers and the wind wasn't too bad. Cold Fell was so much easier compared with last year!

Hardknott was as ridiculous as ever, made harder by some wobbly chap cutting me up on the steepest section. I think the photographer may have actually snapped me muttering 'kin 'ell. :lol:

Saw a lot of casualties. Hope they are all OK.
  • robklancs
    Well I managed the ride in 8.05, happy with that after recent events. Managed all the climbs too. Yes I saw that helicopter and was in the queue as he was treated, hope he is okay, weather wasn't too bad either.
  • jxohn
    Organisation was superb. Marshaling all around the course was spot on. 8.05 for me and pleased to get round with no dramas. Roll on next year! I can't believe I said that the way my legs feel now.
  • bjj.andy.w
    bjj.andy.w Posts: 111
    6:45 for me. Although I've been a mtb'r for several years now I only started road biking in earnest 9 months ago when I got my first road bike, a £750 sensa. Set myself a time of 7hrs so well happy :D
    When you go to the ground you are in my world. My world is the ocean. I am the shark and most people don't know how to swim
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    I made it round in a shade less that 9 hours which I'm really chuffed with - with the benefit of hindsight I probably paced myself too much and I rode with 3 others and we probably held each other up. Unfortunately I didn't make it up Hardknott and had to walk the final section - never mind - I'll remedy that next year.
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,048
    How does the course compare with last year time wise ? I was hoping to come back and get inside 7 after doing a 7 .15 last year in that weather but didn't manage to get in.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Fastest times seemed to be on a par - about 6hrs plus a minute or two, not sure if the distribution is wider for us punters though. A lot of people were probably held up a bit by hellychoppers landing though.
  • jxohn
    I did last years event and this years. Compared stats last night. This years was 2 miles longer. I took 5 minutes longer this year but my average was marginally faster so ties in with the extra distance.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    My first time, what an event. Ride time of just over 8 hours, total time around 8 1/2. Found Honister harder than Hardknott and had to walk the worst bits of both :( but had plenty left in the tank at the end so clearly should have applied rule 5.

Just glad I'm not the groundsman of the Show Field - he'll be earning his money this week :lol:
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,241
    When do the 2015 entries become available?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • When do the 2015 entries become available?

Ballot Jan 2015 if it's like this year.