Fred Whitton 2014 Changes

Looks like a new website has gone live. They are changing the entry format to online and the route has changed - Starts from Grasmere. So misses out Hawkshead and the final pull into Coniston. Bah they are making it like GCSEs you watch it will be pan flat in 20 years... :lol:

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Shame it's had to change - was nice to have a bit after Wrynose to put the hammer down but I noticed this year the traffic was so heavy you either had to wait behind it or take risks to get past so a new venue probably for the best.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • milleman
    milleman Posts: 181
    Think it was inevitable to be honest, Coniston struggles to handle the amount of visitors the event brings in and be doing this they should be able to increase the starting number as the sports field in Grasmere is much bigger.
  • Not to mention it now being £50. I'll still be putting an entry in though!
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    What they really should do is head straight up the Struggle :wink:

We do a club ride that does this - starts in Ambleside, straight up the Struggle and then onto the Fred route. It's a better ride than the Fred for me, and I've done the Fred 6 times now.

I don't think Hawkshead Hill adds much myself, so its no big deal to lose it.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    maddog 2 wrote:
    What they really should do is head straight up the Struggle :wink:

We do a club ride that does this - starts in Ambleside, straight up the Struggle and then onto the Fred route. It's a better ride than the Fred for me, and I've done the Fred 6 times now.

I don't think Hawkshead Hill adds much myself, so its no big deal to lose it.

If you are starting from Grasmere then that's the logical route. Unless of course you abandon Kirkstone altogether and just blam down Thirlmere......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    it now takes in Langdale Pass, so one more proper "pass" to replace a hill, sounds good to me. And the run down Langdale is very special too, the route has got better in my book.
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • Looking at the route on the website it doesn't do the Langdale pass via Blea tarn, it takes a left at the bottom of the wrynose road through Elterwater then just down the road to Skelwith bridge. Shame. Can't see where they make the mileage up myself missing Coniston and hawkshead hill.
    +1 for the struggle maddog
  • neil.s
    neil.s Posts: 123
    Anyone else having problems entering? Wonder if the site has crashed?! :roll:
  • Neil.S wrote:
    Anyone else having problems entering? Wonder if the site has crashed?! :roll:

Did mine last night ;-)

Hopefully not as wet as last year!
  • neil.s
    I 'tried' first thing this morning, but unbeknown to me I had inadvertently cancelled my direct debit mandate to paypal :oops:
    Tried entering a new credit card but kept putting the wrong expiry date in :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thinking it was a problem with my card I phoned the bank only to be told it was my cack-handedness :roll: :oops:

Had to take dogs to the vets for a check up so tried again when I got back and now can't get on the site.

B0ll0cks.

:shock:
  • Try this link:

https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/ ... &oseq&c&ch

They posted it on their facebook page, and it takes you directly to the signup page.
  • Did mine last night luckily. Good luck all...
  • neil.s
    Cheers markynulty, just registered now :D
  • Do we pay now and get refunded if you don't get a place?
  • The money has left my paypal account so I guess so.

Someone on their face book page asked the question, and the organisers confirmed that it would be refunded if unsuccessful.
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    My name has been put in as part of a group and now I'm hearing some horror stories!

Just how tough is this? I did the Ride London in 5 1/2 hours (taking it easy) and this year's Box hill Classic which was ok (but wet).
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • bit tougher than the ride London WarrenG, this'll put hairs on your chest!!
  • nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    My friend did the ride London in 5:45 this year. He took 10 hours to complete the Fred....
  • warreng
    I've done a silly haven't I?
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    WarrenG wrote:

Not if you don't get in Warren, but if you do...at least you know what you'll be doing for the next 3-4 months - training, training and then more training. Find as many hills as you can and go up and down them as many times in one day as you can. Over and over again.

Personally I have applied for the first time, but I live in the area so I know what's in store - PAIN! In anticipation I did some local climbs in a double loop, (about 70miles) and this is just for starters, if I actually get in then the real hard work will begin.

I'm beginning to think I've done a silly as well!
  • nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    I have applied so hoping I get in. Done it the last two years. Hope we get better weather this year as the last two events have been foul !
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Thinking of doing this although it would be a logistic nightmare getting there from near Brighton. :shock:

I currently have a 12-25 cassette with a 53/39 crankset; there is enough wear on them to replace the cassette and chain, and probably the crankset. Am I looking at a 12-30, or something bigger still?
  • I did it for the first, and last time, last year. It is VERY hard, but a great event all the same. Weather was awful, but if I was to give one tip, it would be to go well within yourself, as much as you can with all the climbs, right from the start.

My test was, can a hold a conversation with somebody going up any of the hills, if I could I was ok as hadn't gone into the red. I managed to do this, but my only aim was to get round without stopping on any hills which I managed to do, it would have been different if I was trying to get a decent time as reckon I would have blown up before the end
  • warreng
    WarrenG wrote:

Not if you don't get in Warren, but if you do...at least you know what you'll be doing for the next 3-4 months - training, training and then more training. Find as many hills as you can and go up and down them as many times in one day as you can. Over and over again.

Personally I have applied for the first time, but I live in the area so I know what's in store - PAIN! In anticipation I did some local climbs in a double loop, (about 70miles) and this is just for starters, if I actually get in then the real hard work will begin.

I'm beginning to think I've done a silly as well!

Bloody Hell. I did Box Hill and Ranmore Common three times each in one morning and went home and vomited on the dog. I'm old enough to know better as well

I've been told that first-timers and being part of a group I am virtually guaranteed entry.
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • neil.s
    You'll be fine Warren. My first time last year, as mentioned by HarrogateVelo50 just take it easy on the climbs, don't be tempted to ride too fast (keep up with the quick boys).
    There was 3 of us Fred virgins doing it, I think we paced ourselves perfectly. We certainly didn't break any course records (9hrs 59mins inc the lllooonnnggg rest stop at Calder Bridge trying to warm up after the horror that was Cold Fell in the driving horizontal rain), but at least we got round (when I say we I mean two of us - one of the guys had to drop out at Calder Bridge with hyopthermia - I never seen anyone alive with such blue lips :shock: and I work in a hospital!).
    The biggest obstacle for me was that I wanted to ride up Hardknot without stopping, which we managed :D
    We were hoping to get a place so we could go back and get a better time (or just finish in the other guys case) but now they've gone and changed the route. I think another cautious ride this year (if we get in) then hope for place next year to go for a 'time' :wink:

Back to being fit enough :roll: , I was seriously worried last spring. On our club rides I was only getting to 60 odd miles before blowing. I really thought I'd be dropping out of the Fred, I was even thinking of excuses not to go. But something came right on the day. There's something about a big event, with fellow cyclists that gives you something else. The support of people spectating, especially at the top of Whinlatter was amazing, it really carries you on.

Hopefully see you there?
  • Neil.S wrote:
    ... the horror that was Cold Fell in the driving horizontal rain)...
    Not done the Fred myself (yet - Harknott & Wrynose scare me too much, down as much as up) but know quite a few people who have. Cold Fell is the real killer, hiding in the bushes. Everyone gets pysched up for Kirkstone, Honister, Harknott and Wrynose, whilst Cold Fell looks easy on paper. But its really exposed and likely to be a full-on headwind, even if it isn't chucking it down.

I'm surprised that after Harknott and Wrynose, the new route doesn't go to Grasmere over Red Bank, rather than along the A593 & A591. I'll not be going into the lakes that day.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Cold Fell was miserable this year in that cold rain but I still think Hardknott deserves its reputation. It's the only climb I've done where even with a 36*29 I wasn't sure I'd get up without putting a foot down.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • neil.s
    Guanajuato wrote:
    Harknott & Wrynose scare me too much, down as much as up

I'm not a confident descender either, Hardknot was an experience going down :shock: especially the incredibly steep switchbacks in the torrents washing across them.

As long as you're on the brakes right from the start and control your speed they are manageable (although they were too much for some, looked like there was some nasty 'offs'').

I came off on a descent last month, resulted in broken ribs, that has knocked my confidence. Think I'll take extra brake blocks if I get in this year :lol:
  • Neil, you are spot on with your comments. I have improved my descending before the Fred so wasn't too bad, but daft as it sounds, it was soooo wet and tricky down Hardknott you just had to be very steady.

I too had major doubts before hand but ad you said on the day the support you get is fantastic. Will never forget cold fell though. That last food stop was like a relief centre!
  • I have only managed to get a place on the Fred once, & i loved it. Yes, it is tough & it is a test of your toughness, determination, & cycling ability, but it is also just fun! The main bits i recall are the Kirkstone descent (super quick), getting to Whinlatter & feeling rubbish, getting to Cold Fell (the worst part of the ride for me by a long way) & feeling even more rubbish, then getting to the final feed stop & caning loads of orange halfs & jam sandwiches & feeling massively rejuvinated & up for Hardknott. I really loved Hardknott & Wrynose. The battle was what i had hoped for & better & the descents are tricky but fun & a good test of bike handling.

It's simple, if you are not confident climbing or descending, start doing it now. Otherwise you will get to the event (if lucky & get a place), & you will risk being mentally bveaten before you even start. Also,it can be dangerous when unsilled riders take on tricky descents. The only way to get over these things is by taking them on. Practice & practice. Don't keep doing the same hills tho, you will just get accustomed to doing those & will just get good at those hills. We all need to keep our riding sharp by taking on new terrain.

See you on the start line hopefully. Don't worry, if you train well, it will all fall into place.