Fred Whitton 2014 Changes

Comments

• warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    Neil.S wrote:
    Hopefully see you there?

If I get in I'll be there! For all my lack of ability, fitness and youth I tend not to give up.

I'm doing 120 miles commute at the moment and a 50 mile ride on the weekends per week at the moment. So I'll increase the weekend ride (I tend to focus on the climbs anyway, such as they are in Surrey) and I've entered a couple of local sportives as well.

I got a Rapha top for Xmas - which I definitely will NOT be wearing so I don't come across as Southern arse when I come sliding down Hardknott
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • Dave P1, I got over everything last year with 34x25 as top gear so the 30 would be enough with a 39 on the front I reckon.

WarrenG, for me, the Fred is the best UK sportive I've ever ridden. The atmosphere etc and the scenery make it a very special event. Your mileage sounds more than enough, concentrate on lots of base miles with efforts on the weekend ride would me my advice.

Although the route has changed if anything I think it makes the start/finish run slightly easier as it misses out Hawkshead Hill now. I suspect the only reason they aren't taking it over Red Bank to Grassmere (other than the descent off it) is to keep the mileage the same.

I'm really looking forward to the event again and hoping to do sub 7 this time. Providing the weather is kinder than last year. Descending Cold Fell using only the Force for guidance wasn't fun!!
  • nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    For those staying in the Grasmere youth Hostel on the Saturday night, I emailed the centre and they have confirmed that early breakfast will be available from 5-6 am on Sunday. If you're planning to stay in the YH get booked up quickly as its bound to fill up soon. If you don't get place you can cancel for a small fee (£3 if I recall).
  • neil.s
    neil.s Posts: 123
    WarrenG wrote:
    I got a Rapha top for Xmas - which I definitely will NOT be wearing so I don't come across as Southern ars* when I come sliding down Hardknott

Haha, don't worry WarrenG, plenty of Rapha on show :lol:

I'd be more worried about wearing Rapha, riding a rather expensive Mid-Life-Crisis bike AND getting a slow time. Oh, that would be me then! :oops:

Seriously, no one's really looking at what you're wearing, no one looks up from their front wheel on some of those climbs...........no? Just me again then! :lol: :oops:
  • Hey Neil, don't knock it mate, you went and did it, loads of people wouldn't even think about it
  • You can not compare anything you will ride in the south of England to the Fred. Last year was utter carnage with riders pulling out with hypothermia. I finished in 7:30 ...
  • Interesting reading comments from people who've actually done the event. I was marshalling last year so got a guaranteed spot this year. Just wondering what you's were wearing last year and did your clothing system work. A lot of people just want to know about the climbs. But seeing all the gibbering wrecks from the weather i'm wanting to get my clothing right(11hrs59mins will do me).
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,048
    I just wore summer/race kit with the addition of arm and leg warmers, when it started raining I put on a lightweight race type rain jacket. The only time I was too cold was Cold Fell area if that's the it leading up to the second feed. I think if you'd been suffering physically you'd probably have suffered more with the weather but otherwise it was unpleasant more than dangerous.

The coldest I was was stopping at the second feed and it was indoors with a queue to get in. Rather an wait (queue didn't seem to be moving) I decided to carry on without stocking up as I had a muesli bar and most of a bottle of water left and I did start getting chilled. That was the one criticism of the organisation - there should have been some facility to feed and water without catching cold waiting around.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Just take stuff for every occasion & then wear what is required for the conditions on the day, thats what i did anyway. I tend to feel the cold easily & probably wear more than most. I think the wind chill factor is more prevalent than anything in the lakes, so i wore a base layer with windproofing, a summer jersey on top of that, with a autumn type roubaix jersey on top of that & took a gilet with me too. That seemed to do the trick for me in what i think were overcast spring type conditions. I don't mind riding in the rain too much, as long as i am warm.
  • warreng
    You can not compare anything you will ride in the south of England to the Fred. Last year was utter carnage with riders pulling out with hypothermia. I finished in 7:30 ...

You see, there's no need for that sort of talk. I was quite happy yesterday doing 80km with 1500m of climbing thinking that that was a good start to training and you've gone and ruined it
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • neil.s
    WarrenG wrote:

You see, there's no need for that sort of talk. I was quite happy yesterday doing 80km with 1500m of climbing thinking that that was a good start to training and you've gone and ruined it

:lol::lol::lol:

There's no denying it was terrible, but by the time the rain and wind really started you were well on the way. Nothing you can do about it then. Anyway, I'm sure they're due some nice weather. When was the last time it was sunny/warm/dry (pick one!)??

On another note, it's DRAW DAY TODAY!!!
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Neil.S wrote:
    WarrenG wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

There's no denying it was terrible, but by the time the rain and wind really started you were well on the way. Nothing you can do about it then. Anyway, I'm sure they're due some nice weather. When was the last time it was sunny/warm/dry (pick one!)??

On another note, it's DRAW DAY TODAY!!!

Yes, at last!
    It seems those unsuccessful will get a rejection email, while those that have a place will get a letter(!). So in effect, if you don't get an email, you're in. Don't see why successful entrants can't be emailed, but anyhoo...
  • warreng
    I haven't got an e-mail

Maybe they'll send one later, maybe the server's down. Must keep checking
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • Website states draw complete... Anyone had an email or paypal refund yet?
  • Nope
  • DeVlaeminck
    I hope I get in - so unusual for people to take the trouble to write a letter these days.
  • neil.s
    No refund for me yet either...................here's hoping!

Looking forward to seeing you on the start line WarrenG, in your Rapha jersey (i'll be the one huffing and puffing out of my @rse at the first sign of an incline - you'll recognise me by my full Rapha regalia (everything bar the shoes) on a refurbed Parlee Z3 8) (definitely an 'All The Gear......' rider - but then I don't spend my money on anthing else, as long as it makes me smile).

:D
  • warreng
    Neil.S wrote:
    No refund for me yet either...................here's hoping!

Looking forward to seeing you on the start line WarrenG, in your Rapha jersey (i'll be the one huffing and puffing out of my @rse at the first sign of an incline - you'll recognise me by my full Rapha regalia (everything bar the shoes) on a refurbed Parlee Z3 8) (definitely an 'All The Gear......' rider - but then I don't spend my money on anthing else, as long as it makes me smile).

:D

I'll be Rapha'd up with Mavic shoes on a Cube Agree. Crying
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • neil.s
    Good man.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Well I assume no (email) news is good news - I certainly haven't had one (yet!).

I think it would have come through by now, but there wasn't any indication as to when to expect one, so I guess none of us know for definite. Each refresh of the inbox brings renewed optimism!
  • Well I assume no (email) news is good news - I certainly haven't had one (yet!).

I think it would have come through by now, but there wasn't any indication as to when to expect one, so I guess none of us know for definite. Each refresh of the inbox brings renewed optimism!

Still nothing here either...
  • deets
    deets Posts: 17
    This is killing me!
  • Website says letters will be sent out tomorrow. Presumably emails will be too for the unlucky ones...
  • Had nothing yet, but fingers crossed. I did get an email from Grand Trophee with my number for La Marmotte today though!
  • DeVlaeminck
    You would think they would just put a list of names up on the website wouldn't you - or else why bother announcing they've done the draw.
  • dakkar
    dakkar Posts: 64
    Haven't received an email either, just booked a camp site so hope I get a letter now. And I also hope we get a dry day and distant views from the top of all those climbs!
  • For anyone who doesn't get in our fancies something a little more gentle, have a look at the Jennings Rivers Ride. Whinlatter, Newlands & honister rather rather than Hardknott Wrynose & Kirkstone. Rearranged from lay September (day before ToB) to end of may.
  • Good shout there, but like last year, if I don't get a place I will do the Etape du Dales the week later instead. Like the Fred, it's bloomin hard, but a fantastic ride.
  • Good shout there, but like last year, if I don't get a place I will do the Etape du Dales the week later instead. Like the Fred, it's bloomin hard, but a fantastic ride.

If I get in I'm doing both... Gulp...

If I get in I'm doing both... Gulp...

Kudos to you Andy! Living in London that really isn't an option for me sadly, but I would really love to do that! Best of luck if it happens!