SPOTY 2013

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Flip me Djokovic is a great player though....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • feltkuota wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Froome 6th?

Let's be honest. His whole season is 20 times the achivement than winning some tennis tournament.

In a sense I think it demonstrates the underlying skepticism held in regards to Froome's performances.

The British public appear to be holding a wait and see approach on Chris. 6th place is not encouraging.

How WBT can guage a nations thoughts is beyond me. Given that he/she spectacularly misinterprets and misrepresents the small number of posters on a cycling forum.

Opinion polls are meaningless? Political parties pit their futures on them.

I'm not saying it is representation of much. But if a subset of the nation votes down the Tour de France winner then there may be a problem with the way in which he won.

If Cav can win through sprint stages alone and a Tour winner can't even get 2nd then I'd be concerned if I was PR for Sky.

2011 Cav won the World Champs, 1st Brit for a while. 2012 Wiggins won the TDF 1st Brit ever. This year Murray won Wimbledon (mens) 1st Brit in 70 plus year's.. Do you see a pattern?
  • ddraver
    They re all dopers?

*runs away* :P
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    What is Judy Murray wearing?!?!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:

The skins of all the children she sacrificed to get Andy his win?

According to twitter it was a 'sleeveless onesie'.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ddraver
    It was...unique...

*sigh* this used to be such a good show...where did it go wrong...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    It was...unique...

When they made it into a big arena style event with flashing nobs and singing and sh*t.

When it was just a sporting round up of the year with a prize given out at the end hosted in a smallish space at television centre it was good. Then they made it all X-Factor :(
    Correlation is not causation.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    ddraver wrote:
    It was...unique...

When they made it into a big arena style event with flashing nobs and singing and sh*t.

When it was just a sporting round up of the year with a prize given out at the end hosted in a smallish space at television centre it was good. Then they made it all X-Factor :(

+1
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Not wanting to be controversial here but did anyone else find the choice of winner for the Helen Rollason award a bit out of keeping with a sports award programme? I say this as a (lapsed) LFC supporter who had hoped to be there for my first live match that day and have been grateful ever since that my parents felt a 16 year old shouldn't be going unaccompanied. Anne Williams' fight was inspirational and I agree with everything she did but it was really a campaign for justice that just happened to relate to a sporting event which doesn't seem to be in the spirit of what I understood the award to be.
  • ddraver
    just got to that bit - kind of agree...
    - @ddraver
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Pross wrote:
    Not wanting to be controversial here but did anyone else find the choice of winner for the Helen Rollason award a bit out of keeping with a sports award programme? I say this as a (lapsed) LFC supporter who had hoped to be there for my first live match that day and have been grateful ever since that my parents felt a 16 year old shouldn't be going unaccompanied. Anne Williams' fight was inspirational and I agree with everything she did but it was really a campaign for justice that just happened to relate to a sporting event which doesn't seem to be in the spirit of what I understood the award to be.

I don't think you're being too controversial; however, I'm not sure I agree. I think it was in keeping as the sports element of the story and the effect to the wider sporting landscape make it relevant. I can see your point, however I'm not sure what arena would have been more appropriate to recognise this brave lady.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ddraver
    You mean the North-South divide still there, except for England don't you Eddie?
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Harsh to get Mark Webber to give the Lions the Team of the year award... :lol:

still he got an Ashes jibe in though :cry:
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Why didn't Orica-Greenedge win Coach of the Year?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    RichN95 wrote:
    Why didn't Orica-Greenedge win Coach of the Year?

Because the Norbert Dentressangle roadies put in last minute bid for Gantry of The Year, which split the vote...
  • ddraver
    Any cricket fans getting flashbacks of the Bill Lawrie/Peter Pollock "interview" for this Andy Murray cringefest?
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:

Dont go there. Just. Dont.

:shock:
  • Pross wrote:

I agree Pross. She was very inspirational but it was more a judicial- political victory around a sporting tragedy.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Pross wrote:

I agree Pross. She was very inspirational but it was more a judicial- political victory around a sporting tragedy.

I concur. We were looking at each other and saying "What is going on here". It was a terrible tragedy, but a celebration of sporting achievement party was not the place to go into the politics of the aftermath. That will all come out in due course, and rightly so.
    A strange decision by the BBC.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    ThomThom wrote:
    Froome 6th?

Let's be honest. His whole season is 20 times the achivement than winning some tennis tournament.

In a sense I think it demonstrates the underlying skepticism held in regards to Froome's performances.

The British public appear to be holding a wait and see approach on Chris. 6th place is not encouraging.

You overestimate the British public.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,545
    I don't think it was all that controversial really. The award has tended to go to a campaigner of sorts, though usually someone raising money for cancer research or something like that.

While politics was definitely played with the Hillsborough tragedy, what she campaigned for was the righting of a gross injustice and to reveal the massive cover-up around it. The campaign itself was never political.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    okgo wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Froome 6th?

No, it really isn't.

Yes. Yes it is.

For me it is. But again, I've always thought that sport was the most bland sport ever.

Taking our live coverage of cycling on Eurosport as well..
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    ThomThom wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Froome 6th?

No, it really isn't.

Yes. Yes it is.

For me it is. But again, I've always thought that sport was the most bland sport ever.

I'm afraid your opinion is rendered invalid because you come from a country that takes curling seriously ;-)
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Shockingly low turnout. In retrospect no one had a chance.

Murray: 401,470
    Halfpenny: 65,913
    McCoy: 57,854
    Mo Farah: 51,945
    Ben Ainslie: 48,140
    Chris Froome: 37,343
    Hannah Cockroft: 26,151
    Christine Ohuruogu: 13,179
    Justin Rose: 9,833
    Ian Bell: 5,626
    Total votes: 717,454
    This seems to confirm what Rich said earlier: the win was so clear that the placings behind him are more due to special interest votes.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    My 2p worth

Not that i'm a tennis fan but winning Wimbledon is a big deal and its no surprise he cleaned up.

But more importantly didn't anyone else see Andy on the video link a few seconds before he was announced as the winner?

Deep down we all knew it would be a whitewash.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • thomthom
    ThomThom wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Froome 6th?

No, it really isn't.

Yes. Yes it is.

I'm afraid your opinion is rendered invalid because you come from a country that takes curling seriously ;-)

And handball... Fcking handball.
  • thomthom
    Almost there, Chris.. Improvement from the Tour 2014 unveiling show..
    BbmV13RIgAAmlNS.jpg:large

The shoes though..
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    ThomThom wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Froome 6th?

No, it really isn't.

Yes. Yes it is.

And handball... ******* handball.

Don't get me started on handball. Though to be fair, it includes a degree of violence that puts it a step above curling.
  • How about badminton - the Danes are pretty nifty at that, non?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    How about badminton - the Danes are pretty nifty at that, non?

Yep. I guess it's a reasonable sport if you're into that sort of thing. Very quick and dextrous, quite fun to play.