SPOTY 2013

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    I think we've established who's likely to win.

Who should win? If it's just based on performance I think it's close between Murray, Farah and Froome, but IMHO winning the Tour de France (the biggest event in the sport by far) beats winning one of 4 grand slams or becoming world champion in a sport focused on the Olympics. Not by a big margin, mind. It would be a great shame if winning the Tour da France has already become something the British public takes for granted without fully appreciating it, like with cycling track Olympic medals.

Personality? I couldn't care less. We've got several local riders in the international pro peloton, and they're around, but I don't expect them to 'turn up for local 10s'. I definitely preferred watching this year's Tour de France and how it was won over last year's though.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Great stuff, the morons cant even spell Farah. What is this problem the Brits have with people who have British passports, so are British, but were born elsewhere? We are a multi cultural nation and have been for a long time. Americans have no problem with people wanting to be American. Froome, not that it is an issue, was born to British parents, has a British passport, he rides for Britain in the Olympics, ergo he is British, end of argument.

Farah should win SPOTY for his achievements, but he wont, as the public have little idea of the mountain of work he has put in to beat the African nations in there signature events. Murray will win by a landslide. Be interesting to see who is second and third though.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Team of the year has to be the womens pursuit squad, I can't think of any British teams which have been anywhere near as succesful in the last 12 months.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    just remember that 'personality' is not that important as it was won previously by Nigel Mansell....

[who sponsors a bike team so actually I like the guy]
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Was listening to a BBC podcast about SPOTY recently and they pointed out that the "personality" word was a necessity as "Sports Person of the Year" was taken already.

It wasnt ever really supposed to be about "personality" but a genuine vote to see if people thought being F1 World Champion was a bigger deal than being 400m Champion or Captain of England etc etc...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Murray should not be eligible for a Sports Personality award as he hasn't got one.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,193
    Murray should not be eligible for a Sports Personality award as he hasn't got one.

I get quite bored posting this on various forums at this time of the year, but here we go again :roll:

personality [ˌpɜːsəˈnælɪtɪ]
    n pl -ties
    1. (Psychology) Psychol the sum total of all the behavioural and mental characteristics by means of which an individual is recognized as being unique
    2. the distinctive character of a person that makes him socially attractive a salesman needs a lot of personality
    3. a well-known person in a certain field, such as sport or entertainment
    4. a remarkable person the old fellow is a real personality
    5. the quality of being a unique person
    6. the distinctive atmosphere of a place or situation
    7. (often plural) a personal remark
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    r0bh wrote:
    Murray should not be eligible for a Sports Personality award as he hasn't got one.

I get quite bored posting this on various forums at this time of the year, but here we go again :roll:

personality [ˌpɜːsəˈnælɪtɪ]
    n pl -ties
    1. (Psychology) Psychol the sum total of all the behavioural and mental characteristics by means of which an individual is recognized as being unique
    2. the distinctive character of a person that makes him socially attractive a salesman needs a lot of personality
    3. a well-known person in a certain field, such as sport or entertainment
    4. a remarkable person the old fellow is a real personality
    5. the quality of being a unique person
    6. the distinctive atmosphere of a place or situation
    7. (often plural) a personal remark

I thought that was the definition of a "Celebrity". :shock:
  • k1875
    k1875 Posts: 485

Know him well do you?
  • Got no time for the Murray knocking, myself. Handled all the pressure year after year of trying to get the first big one. Terrific athlete. And fundamentally that's what this award is about - or rather what most vote for.

Not whether they can get a gig hosting Never Mind the Buzzcocks.
  • I'm not a fanboy but I think winning the Tour 2 years in succession should put Sky in the mix. But then again do the general public perceive the team element of cycling?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • I'm not a fanboy but I think winning the Tour 2 years in succession should put Sky in the mix. But then again do the general public perceive the team element of cycling?

Never mind the public, the Sports Journalists Association can't see past sports like footie, cricket or rugby for their annual team awards - so I doubt the public can. But anyway I dont think the public vote for the SPOTY team award, do they? Doesn't the panel set up by the BBC after the 2011 nominations debacle, decide who gets it?
  • k1875 wrote:

Know him well do you?

No, but I have seen him interviewed. Case closed.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Never mind the public, the Sports Journalists Association can't see past sports like footie, cricket or rugby for their annual team awards - so I doubt the public can. But anyway I dont think the public vote for the SPOTY team award, do they? Doesn't the panel set up by the BBC after the 2011 nominations debacle, decide who gets it?
    On the other hand, players from those sports rarely win the individual award (only four ever from rugby, football & cricket combined at the SJA awards, compared to five cyclists). So it works both ways.

The British Lions will win the team awards this year.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    On the other hand, players from those sports rarely win the individual award (only four ever from rugby, football & cricket combined at the SJA awards, compared to five cyclists). So it works both ways.

The British Lions will win the team awards this year.

Do you think Sky will merit an honourable mention?
    @JaunePeril

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Live television, Sir Bradley Wiggins, a microphone, "Susan", and Chris Froome. What could possibly go wrong?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RichN95.
    Do you think Sky will merit an honourable mention?
    Maybe, but I doubt they will. The Women's Pursuit team might though.
  • k1875 wrote:

Know him well do you?

No, but have you seen him interviewed? Case closed.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    edited December 2013
    Got no time for the Murray knocking, myself. Handled all the pressure year after year of trying to get the first big one. Terrific athlete. And fundamentally that's what this award is about - or rather what most vote for.

Not whether they can get a gig hosting Never Mind the Buzzcocks.

Yes, a real gutsy achievement. Did GB proud in the Olympics.

Edit.

Disappointed, should have been here. Mo too.

I Hope Ben A gets it.
  • Ben Ainslie - amazing impact on the Americas Cup outcome - just so focussed and capable in both a team and individual environment

Andy Murray - trained hard, adapted skills, focussed with new coach - led to 1st mens Wimbledon in 75 yrs. Sue Barker BBC prog outlined his thoughts and personality - genuinely 'nice' bloke
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    If Mo would have won it would have been last year. No chance or reason he gets it this year. Froome definitely more dominant and deserving than all the others...just he isnt English and has never been to this country other than for Olympics.

Don't forget the Olympics warm up road race the year before. This is my photo too! Lucky shot, ey! :lol:

full.jpg
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • What about lifetime achievement award. Sir Alex? or has he already got it?
    @JaunePeril

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    edited December 2013
    Well it's 2330 here so I won't be watching it, I ll try and find it tomorrow...

My "podium prediction" is

Murray
    Farrah
    Froome

Although tbh, I think third place is very much up for grabs. Surprising number of sailors around for example...

Enjoy, although they seem to be trying hard to ruin it, it's still one of my favourite programs of the year.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    edited December 2013
    What about lifetime achievement award. Sir Alex? or has he already got it?
    They're giving him some sort of special award: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sports-per ... y/25362077
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    RichN95 wrote:
    What about lifetime achievement award. Sir Alex? or has he already got it?
    They're giving him some sport of special award: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sports-per ... y/25362077
    Presented by Roy Keane no less.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Unfortunately Mr Boring Murray will win it.

I shall however once again enjoy the footage of Froome winning on Ventoux for one last time this year!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Ben Ainslie - amazing impact on the Americas Cup outcome - just so focussed and capable in both a team and individual environment

Andy Murray - trained hard, adapted skills, focussed with new coach - led to 1st mens Wimbledon in 75 yrs. Sue Barker BBC prog outlined his thoughts and personality - genuinely 'nice' bloke

Ainslie - yes !

Murray - Who did he beat (nobody turned up) ?
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • After that little video and intro for Ben Ainslie, I personally dont think anyone else really should get it apart from him.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Is Ainslie's role being hyped because he's a Brit and he was just another team member or was he actually the captain or something?