SPOTY 2013

Comments

• Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Stillnox wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    If there was any specticism regarding Froome then it would have been in regards to his Britishness rather than his performances.
    I agree. Does Froome even have a house in England?

Murray's Wimbledon victory was huge. Froome being only sixth means cycling and England are not yet united as one.

Wiggins last year was something completely different, he allready was a multi - Olympic winner.

Point of order, sir - Britain =/= England.

As you were.

:wink:
    Semantics.

But you are right.

Good thing Murray is English :idea:
  • ThomThom wrote:
    Froome 6th?

Let's be honest. His whole season is 20 times the achivement than winning some tennis tournament.

In a sense I think it demonstrates the underlying skepticism held in regards to Froome's performances.

The British public appear to be holding a wait and see approach on Chris. 6th place is not encouraging.

How WBT can guage a nations thoughts is beyond me. Given that he/she spectacularly misinterprets and misrepresents the small number of posters on a cycling forum.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    ThomThom wrote:
    Froome 6th?

Let's be honest. His whole season is 20 times the achivement than winning some tennis tournament.

In a sense I think it demonstrates the underlying skepticism held in regards to Froome's performances.

The British public appear to be holding a wait and see approach on Chris. 6th place is not encouraging.

Bollox
  • Oh was this on yesterday?

I have now had to very quickly learn who Leigh Halfpenny is. Feel very sorry for Farah.

And can I just say that Ben Ainslie has an enormous bottom! I had to stand behind him on some plane steps once where I thought he was rather 'large' in the hip department and then he was sat next to me and his bottom spilled over into my seat* :shock:

He'd make a rubbish cyclist.

He was reading Seb Coe's auto-biography in case you're interested.

*This may also be down to FlyBe's very small seats
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    I have now had to very quickly learn who Leigh Halfpenny is.
    A rugby match day in Cardiff would soon teach you. People massively underestimate what a big deal rugby is to the (South) Welsh.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    If it was World Cup year next year and England won it and someone scored a hatrick they'd be my pick

Man down.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    I have now had to very quickly learn who Leigh Halfpenny is.
    A rugby match day in Cardiff would soon teach you. People massively underestimate what a big deal rugby is to the (South) Welsh.

Celts (north, west and across the water) hammered those phone lines FER SHURE last night

:)
  • RichN95.
    Celts (north, west and across the water) hammered those phone lines FER SHURE last night

They always do. Hence how a boss-eyed Scottish dullard can get to the final of X Factor.
  • RichN95 wrote:

They always do. Hence how a boss-eyed Scottish dullard can get to the final of X Factor.

Gordon Brown was on x factor?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    RichN95 wrote:

They always do. Hence how a boss-eyed Scottish dullard can win SPOTY.

Fixed.

I have to admit, even I am astonished by WBT's ability to turn absolutely any thread into a Froome / Sky / Doping issue :shock:
  • Pross
    Paul 8v wrote:
    It would have been brilliant seeing Wiggins have to hand the award to Froome, even now they have "Made up" :-)

I was hoping he'd say 'and the winner of 2013 SPOTY, Chris Froome.........it's not you' :lol:
  • Pross wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    It would have been brilliant seeing Wiggins have to hand the award to Froome, even now they have "Made up" :-)

I was hoping he'd say 'and the winner of 2013 SPOTY, Chris Froome.........it's not you' :lol:

Oh cruel cruel peeps

he he he he he
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    What is the big deal about a british isles dream team beating australia anyway? Sure England managed it on their own without Halfpenny?

:lol: :P :lol:

As soon as I realised he was on the list at all I knew he'd get on the podium. No one else for Welsh people to vote for...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • feltkuota wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Froome 6th?

How WBT can guage a nations thoughts is beyond me. Given that he/she spectacularly misinterprets and misrepresents the small number of posters on a cycling forum.

Opinion polls are meaningless? Political parties pit their futures on them.

I'm not saying it is representation of much. But if a subset of the nation votes down the Tour de France winner then there may be a problem with the way in which he won.

If Cav can win through sprint stages alone and a Tour winner can't even get 2nd then I'd be concerned if I was PR for Sky.
  • Kill it. Kill it with fire.
  • ddraver
    What the F**k are you on about?!

I suggest you lok at the comments below a standard cycling article in a British Newspaper before posting on this subject again as you are very very obviously misinformed. Cycling is the minnowest of minnow sports in the UK unless there's an olympic medal at the end of it.
    - @ddraver
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    feltkuota wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Froome 6th?

Opinion polls are meaningless? Political parties pit their futures on them.

I'm not saying it is representation of much. But if a subset of the nation votes down the Tour de France winner then there may be a problem with the way in which he won.

If Cav can win through sprint stages alone and a Tour winner can't even get 2nd then I'd be concerned if I was PR for Sky.

I think you may be ill.
  • ddraver wrote:

I suggest you lok at the comments below a standard cycling article in a British Newspaper before posting on this subject again as you are very very obviously misinformed. Cycling is the minnowest of minnow sports in the UK unless there's an olympic medal at the end of it.

Participation wise?

It's bigger than cricket and rugby.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Oh come on people. WBT is just expressing an opinion. Its an opinion few will agree with, but there's no need to drag down every thread he comments on by resorting to abuse. Does Froome coming 6th suggest the public think he dopes? Possibly. Far more likely though it reflects the fact that he lacks charisma, was beaten to "first tour win" by Wiggo, is barely British, hasn't won an Olympic gold, has been massively overshadowed by Murray winning Wimbledon etc etc etc...
  • Shockingly low turnout. In retrospect no one had a chance.

Murray: 401,470
    Halfpenny: 65,913
    McCoy: 57,854
    Mo Farah: 51,945
    Ben Ainslie: 48,140
    Chris Froome: 37,343
    Hannah Cockroft: 26,151
    Christine Ohuruogu: 13,179
    Justin Rose: 9,833
    Ian Bell: 5,626
    Total votes: 717,454
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.

There's no problem with how he won. He's just not that familiar to the general public yet. Murray, McCoy, Farah and Ainslie are all very established names, they have OBEs and knighthoods (they're all too big for a bog standard MBE). They have all been nominated for this award before. And Halfpenny is a superstar in Wales. Both Wiggins and Cavendish (twice) had been nominated previously before winning.
    The people who vote for this award couldn't name a current non-British cyclist. They will have given little thought to Froome's manner of victory. In fact they will have given little thought to Froome at all.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    ThomThom wrote:
    Froome 6th?

No, it really isn't.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    It is a success that Froome was nominated at all. Cycling is on a roll.

Personally I voted for Mo Farah. His last few years have been utterly incredible.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • ddraver
    Just got to Froome's VT - I reckon he lost purely because that MTB is a Fail!

Edit - oh and Becasue of Gary's Chris Zoom quip!
    - @ddraver
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    edited December 2013
    ThomThom wrote:
    Froome 6th?

The GB public have no idea who Chris Froome is - it follows they have no idea whatsoever if performances they know nothing about are in any way suspicious.

As for Le Tour - well we win that all the time don't we? I mean Hoy, Cav and Wiggo have won it in the last few years all on their own. Well I know Cav has won like 20-odd Tours so Froome winning one is nothing special. Also Wiggo won the Olympics and I saw that on the BBC.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • ddraver
    edited December 2013
    Oooooh the Wiggins' faces... :lol::lol::lol:

(Edit - or maybe they re Man City fans...)
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Why do they keep doing close ups of Savage?!?
    - @ddraver
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    edited December 2013
    ddraver wrote:

Participation wise?

Ah but what is participation? Do you mean people just using a bicycle? or organised cycle racing and timetrialling? If it is the former you may be right but then again that would make motorsport the biggest particpation wise as there are millions of cars users. If it is the latter? I don't know but I would suspect that rugby would give it a run for its money.

Lots of Rugby clubs field 3-4 teams every week which is 45 to 60 players, that's a lot of participants
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Pross
    Froome got 50% more votes than Cockcroft. Does this suggest that probably the best female wheelchair athlete in the world is also a doper? After all, she was very keen to tell everyone how she got to the top by training hard on the hills when everyone else is training on the flat. That smacks of a Sky type attitude that everyone else is a bit stupid and naive in terms of their training. Alternatively it could be that people don't pay much attention to disabled sport outside the Paralympics.

It's Farah I find strange. The public seem to love him. I was certain he would be top 3 last year and the only serious contender against Murray this year as despite his wins not being in the Olympics they were still very high profile as well as being against the best in the world.

Much as I admire the way Halfpenny has played in the last couple of years I still don't agree with him getting second. Yes, he was the pick of the Welsh 6 Nations team and the Lions but he wasn't that far ahead of the others. Arguably, Bell's contribution to the summer Ashes series was a more pivotal role in a team victory. I didn't think Halfpenny should have won the Welsh SPOTY either as that should have gone to Becky James or Non Stanford IMHO.
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:

Participation wise?

Ah but what is participation? Do you mean people just using a bicycle? or organised cycle racing and timetrialling? If it is the former you may be right but then again that would make motorsport the biggest particpation wise as there are millions of cars users. If it is the latter? I don't know but I would suspect that rugby would give it a run for its money.

Lots of Rugby clubs field 3-4 teams every week which is 45 to 60 players that's a lot of participants

wbt - go onto the Road General/Commuting or MTB sections of the forum and ask who came second at the TdF or who won the Vuelta (let alone who won that Paris Woobay MTB race). You ll be waiting a very very long time for an answer...
    - @ddraver