SPOTY 2013

Comments

• They were losing badly, and called him in to help, they came back and won the Americas Cup.

Although it was a team event, it appeared he made the difference. It also came on the back of a fellow sailor/friend he knew being killed in an accident in the race.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Fair enough - thanks for that.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596
    FJS wrote:
    Who should win? If it's just based on performance I think it's close between Murray, Farah and Froome, but IMHO winning the Tour de France (the biggest event in the sport by far) beats winning one of 4 grand slams or becoming world champion in a sport focused on the Olympics. Not by a big margin, mind. It would be a great shame if winning the Tour da France has already become something the British public takes for granted without fully appreciating it, like with cycling track Olympic medals.

I think there is a bit of cycling bias in that! I don't think that you can say that a tour de france (which happens every year) is better than the athletics world championship. Especially as Farah did a double and also didn't he run a sharpish 1500m during the year? Furthermore, Italian cyclists might prefer to win the Giro and others a monument, but all athletes would have been trying to win the worlds as first choice.

In the eyes of the British public, Murray won the only tennis event of the year.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Froome's put on some Terry.
  • TheBigBean
    Froome thanked his team and the cameras panned to Wiggins. Did the editor think Wiggins was in the team, was it just a "wiggins does cycling so we need a shot of him" or was it a little dig?
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I thought it might be a dig but then realised Joe public probably doesn't even realise they fell out so probably your option 2
  • TheBigBean
    Murray hasn't bothered to turn up. Boo.
  • Paul 8v
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Well he had better not get it now, miserable git :mrgreen:
  • TheBigBean
    Paul 8v wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

The only winner I can remember not turning is Flintoff and he was in the middle of a test match. He even stayed up to 4am or so to accept the award.
  • Yeah, to echo an earlier post, he does have no personality, or at least no charisma.

I just tried voting for ainslie and line was engaged straight away, still haven't got through
  • Paul 8v
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

The only winner I can remember not turning is Flintoff and he was in the middle of a test match. He even stayed up to 4am or so to accept the award.
    And he was probably still pi$$ed knowing Freddie!
  • TheBigBean
    According to Betfair AP McCoy is 2nd fav, then Farah
  • wiznaeme
    wiznaeme Posts: 238
    Dialled in to vote. Engaged! Don't think that's meant to happen.
  • TheBigBean
    You can vote on the website if you have a BBC id. Quite easy.

Anyone but Murray for me.
  • i am hoping Ainslie wins. It was engaged for ages when i tried ringing, at least 15 minutes before i got through.
  • TheBigBean
    Lions beat Sky and the women's European golfing team. Seems fair out of those three.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Nairnster wrote:
    i am hoping Ainslie wins. It was engaged for ages when i tried ringing, at least 15 minutes before i got through.

not necessarily wasnt there X factor voting as well tonight ?
  • awavey wrote:
    Nairnster wrote:
    i am hoping Ainslie wins. It was engaged for ages when i tried ringing, at least 15 minutes before i got through.

I wasnt ringing that though. Or do phone lines not work how i thought they do?
  • Paul 8v
    Please anyone but miserable Murray and his even more miserable mum!
  • rick_chasey
    Quite like Murray.
  • TheBigBean
    Warren Gatland beats Sir Dave Brailsford and Ivan Lendl for coach of the year.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I think there is a bit of cycling bias in that! I don't think that you can say that a tour de france (which happens every year) is better than the athletics world championship. Especially as Farah did a double and also didn't he run a sharpish 1500m during the year?
    Sure, but it's still not the biggest event in the sport, with a much bigger focus on the Olympics in athletics.
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Furthermore, Italian cyclists might prefer to win the Giro and others a monument.
    I don;t believe that is true. Italians might value the Giro more than riders from other countries do, but any Italian would still prefer a Tour de France win over a Giro win. Just like any Belgian would certainly prefer winning the Tour de France over the Ronde.
    TheBigBean wrote:
    In the eyes of the British public, Murray won the only tennis event of the year.
    Absolutely.
  • Aye, shes a dour woman to say the least. Couldnt even muster a smile when she was sitting next to Lineker as he gave the intro to Murray.

Who is that muppet singing now?
  • rick_chasey
    Ah don't be a fun sponge.
  • Nairnster wrote:
    Aye, shes a dour woman to say the least. Couldnt even muster a smile when she was sitting next to Lineker as he gave the intro to Murray.

Who is that muppet singing now?

Well in answer to that question, he was noone.
  • TheBigBean
    Has a new award just been created for Ferguson- Diamond Award?
  • Paul 8v
    edited December 2013
    I love the way we are all missing commenting on the racing so much there is now a spoilers thread for SPOTY.

Soon we will have the Eastenders Christmas special spoilers thread and the Queens speech :)
  • I think its becasue its the 60th year, Diamond Anniversary.
  • TheBigBean
    FJS wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I think there is a bit of cycling bias in that! I don't think that you can say that a tour de france (which happens every year) is better than the athletics world championship. Especially as Farah did a double and also didn't he run a sharpish 1500m during the year?
    Sure, but it's still not the biggest event in the sport, with a much bigger focus on the Olympics in athletics.

That's also true, but presumably Farah beat the best in his sport to win the worlds whereas Nibali, Wiggins etc didn't ride the tour, and some of the participants had the Giro in their legs. It's hard to compare different sports!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Nairnster wrote:
    awavey wrote:
    Nairnster wrote:

I wasnt ringing that though. Or do phone lines not work how i thought they do?

well the system is shared, so if the total volume of calls being made is high, whatever the numbers being called, the more likely youll be hitting engaged tones to protect the whole phone network from collapsing under the load :)