Silly Commuter Beers/Ales (and other Beverages).

Comments

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    awavey wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    WHAT!!! Now you tell me. That might have been worth dusting off my passport and travelling to the frozen wastelands of the north for. A friend of mine lives up that way, rides a bike and likes beer. I could have stayed over.
    Let me know next time it's on.

It's bizarre. They did one last summer just in the café (so v small) and it was a huge hit apparently, so this one is a lot lot bigger. It's like the Ghent 6 but with nobody paying attention! It's huge. Willl let you know when the next one is. Becky James and Philip Hindes were training today - we were watching the men's team pursuit fly around the track with all these beardy types supping beer and not even watching.

http://www.manchesterbeerfestival.org.uk/

I think its bigger as well because Manchester used to host Camras national winter beer festival which used to take most of the organising effort out of the local Camra folk, this year as thats moved to Derby, theyve been able to apply their zeal to running a Manchester beer festival instead. sounded really cool, definitely keep an eye out for the next one.

though I did see Dani King wasnt that impressed about the smell though :shock:
    So the smell of real ale supping beardies is worse than the stench of sweaty cycling kit???? Crickey.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    msmancunia wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    WHAT!!! Now you tell me. That might have been worth dusting off my passport and travelling to the frozen wastelands of the north for. A friend of mine lives up that way, rides a bike and likes beer. I could have stayed over.
    Let me know next time it's on.

It's bizarre. They did one last summer just in the café (so v small) and it was a huge hit apparently, so this one is a lot lot bigger. It's like the Ghent 6 but with nobody paying attention! It's huge. Willl let you know when the next one is. Becky James and Philip Hindes were training today - we were watching the men's team pursuit fly around the track with all these beardy types supping beer and not even watching.

http://www.manchesterbeerfestival.org.uk/

Manchester has another beer festival in October. The IndyManBeerCon. Have been the last two years and it's the best beer festival I've ever been to. Twice.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    12 bottles of duvel.
    Had to be done at £1.50 a bottle.

Will help ease a week with the in laws, but I'm hoping to sample the local brew.

Any cornish beers to recommend, other than doombar.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    rubertoe wrote:
    12 bottles of duvel.

Will help ease a week with the in laws, but I'm hoping to sample the local brew.

St. Austell brewery: Tribute, Trelawny, and Proper Job. If they're on draught and well-kept they're sublime.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Gentlemen your choice of beers are truly world class, i doff my cap 8)

btw Duvel for £1.50 ....? do tell
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rubertoe
    itboffin wrote:
    Gentlemen your choice of beers are truly world class, i doff my cap 8)

btw Duvel for £1.50 ....? do tell

Tesco, 4 for £6

I wanted more buth they only had 12 bottles.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    rubertoe wrote:
    12 bottles of duvel.

If you go to the brewery shop buy a crate of Tribute Extra (helps that my kids go to nursery next door to the brewery!). I'm getting through a crate a week. Legendary stuff. Tribute on tap is hard to beat, but the bottles are awful. Skinners do some good brews. Lots of micro-breweries springing up. St Ives has a couple of good places. Where are you staying?
    FCN 3 / 4
  • rubertoe
    Polzeath/Padstow.

• msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    For those of you who like your beer and bikes, looks like the National Cycling Centre are planning on doing this again early next year :

http://manchesterbeerfestival.org.uk/mb ... kes-shape/

So if you get in early, you could book a track session, and then spend the rest of the day boozing :lol:
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Just found out there is a brewery in Tooting near my old halls of residence!

http://www.bythehorns.co.uk/

Will pop in on Friday and grab some brews to take up on our trip to see some Uni chums.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • rubertoe
    Got some proper job in bottle form. I'm going to Padstow tomorrow and the in laws are driving loads of pubs in the harbour, will be plenty to drink. I was disappointed when I was in one earlier, I'm ordering soft drinks and food, they have al these local brews, somebody orders

" 3 pints of carlsberg please love"

:roll:

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    msmancunia wrote:
    For those of you who like your beer and bikes, looks like the National Cycling Centre are planning on doing this again early next year :

So if you get in early, you could book a track session, and then spend the rest of the day boozing :lol:
    Emailed this to a friend of mine up there to see if he's interested.
  • itboffin
    rubertoe wrote:
    Got some proper job in bottle form. I'm going to Padstow tomorrow and the in laws are driving loads of pubs in the harbour, will be plenty to drink. I was disappointed when I was in one earlier, I'm ordering soft drinks and food, they have al these local brews, somebody orders

" 3 pints of carlsberg please love"

:roll:

They were thrown out naturally? :twisted:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • the_fuggler
    Padstow is very touristy - if you can sniff out the Port William Inn at Trebarwith Sands it has some spectacular views over the coast. Beer isn't too bad. If you want a proper pint try the St Kew Inn in St Kew. Those are easy enough to get to if you're the Polzeath side of the equation. There are a few microbreweries around Bodmin that are worth a look, particularly the Harbour Brewing Co, which is actually nowhere near a harbour.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • veronese68
    msmancunia wrote:

Well my friend is certainly interested, hardly surprising, so it looks like I'm booking a couple of days off to go to the frozen wastelands of the North.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Try the Chiltern Brewery, just outside Aylesbury. The Farmer's Bar at the King's Head in town is a main local outlet, very nice, one of the few decent pubs in Aylesbury itself.

Mmmm, beeeeerrr

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Veronese68 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

Well my friend is certainly interested, hardly surprising, so it looks like I'm booking a couple of days off to go to the frozen wastelands of the North.

Come and say hello - can always give you a quick tour of the velodrome (not that there's much to see!)
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    No time for beers at the moment; just back from France with 74 bottles of wine in the boot to add to the collection.

Never had Anjou whites before, but 2013 Domaine bu Petite Clocher Anjou Blanc is excellent. Especially at £5 a bottle direct from the winery.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rubertoe
    Well, cornish beer is ok. But I still prefer the belgians offerings.

• itboffin
    rubertoe wrote:

agreed but i also believe that the Ramsbury brewery local to me is the best of all, 7 miles and yes they deliver. I'm never moving away :lol:
  • rubertoe
    itboffin wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

agreed but i also believe that the Ramsbury brewery local to me is the best of all, 7 miles and yes they deliver. I'm never moving away :lol:

Recommend me a beer and I'll see if I agree... but this is doing nothing for my ride london training... :mrgreen:

• itboffin
    rubertoe wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

Recommend me a beer and I'll see if I agree... but this is doing nothing for my ride london training... :mrgreen:

concentrated water and quality carbs, perfect for training i swear by that programme

just waiting for the call from BC, any minute now :roll:
  • veronese68
    msmancunia wrote:
    Come and say hello - can always give you a quick tour of the velodrome (not that there's much to see!)
    Will do, thank you.
  • the_fuggler
    rubertoe wrote:

I should have pointed you at this place in Falmouth - http://www.handbeerbar.co.uk/

Best of both worlds!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • itboffin
    beer fridge fully stocked with Ramsbury, that's tonight taken care of :wink:
  • rubertoe
    14741890454_a1c269c245.jpg

• itboffin
    nice! jazzzzz

post-14807-0-00554700-1363176203.jpg

Sort the glass out though, thats like riding a road bike with SPDs :twisted:
  • rubertoe
    I know, i keep meaning to steal a chalice...

I drove through Wiltshire todsy, I should of stopped.

Damn it.

• rubertoe
    I'm just about to go to the only pub that i know of that isn't in central London that sells Duvel.

Happy days.

Ride 100 training here we come...