Silly Commuter Beers/Ales (and other Beverages).

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    JZed wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Surprising warm for Essex this time of the year than, but still at least you have a girls drink to refresh you :wink:

Only 21 degrees for todays 100k, now refueling with Cruzcampo.

What is that about 8% ....?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    itboffin wrote:

What is that about 8% ....?

Probably - I've managed about 40....45 so far.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    ketsbaia wrote:
    There's one in Hackney too, called The Dove. Think the Cov Gdn Belgian place is the Lowlander.

Dribble.....

The Cask in pimlico is pretty good. massive selection of beers and bottles.

Southampton Armsis also great being a big Cider fan. The Pork rolls are also amazing.

This opened not so long ago about 200 meters from where i live...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Clever Pun wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Cheers BBG, I shall be packing up the family and heading across the water.

Good belgian beer is just to pricey in the UK and hard to find - Triple Karmilet is my favourite and at £3 (330ml) a pop it can get expensive. But I can certainly justify large bottles of Duval.

There's an amazing beer shop in G(h)ent
    http://www.dehopduvel.be/engels/index.html

Got a little excitable when we went there

Also if you're lucky enough to get an appointment you can go via St Sixtus

Thanks for the tip off, already planning a weekend over there and this will now be firmly on the list. Streetview shows a lovely wide cycle path along the canal as well. I may have to move there. 8)

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I'm on my way home from a business trip to Brussels, with a suitcase full of beer and chocolate :-)

The Carrefour in Brussels gare du midi stocks a pretty good range of Belgian beer at sensible prices - €1.50-€2 a bottle.

The wheel bearings on my wheelie case are starting to sound a bit rough...
    Misguided Idealist
  • itboffin
    I'm on my way home from a business trip to Brussels, with a suitcase full of beer and chocolate :-)

The Carrefour in Brussels gare du midi stocks a pretty good range of Belgian beer at sensible prices - €1.50-€2 a bottle.

The wheel bearings on my wheelie case are starting to sound a bit rough...

Pour some beer on them obviously not BB :wink:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Went to the pictures last night and beforehand managed a swift half of this:

http://www.ellandbrewery.co.uk/1872-porter/

Champion Beer of Britain 2013 apparently. Very, very nice and recommended. I found it in a Wetherspoons which at 6pm was very full of exceedingly drunk people yelling at each other. I hate Wetherspoons.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • rubertoe
    Talk to me about Porters.

I just don't know if i should like them or not or put it differently, I am going into waitrose tomorrow to pick up some beers and I know that they sell Meantime Porter, should I try a bottle. I normally go for a golden Ale or a blonde beer.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    Waitrose also do Darkstar Espresso which I like - it's only 4.2% so it is a little thin. Not too keen on the Meantime one

Sainsburys own label Porter is good and although Bad King John isn't a porter it's getting there
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    rubertoe wrote:
    Talk to me about Porters.

I just don't know if i should like them or not or put it differently, I am going into waitrose tomorrow to pick up some beers and I know that they sell Meantime Porter, should I try a bottle. I normally go for a golden Ale or a blonde beer.

Do you like stout? I say go for it anyway but then i would as iu like to try new flavours,dark fruity and roasted and they also do a chocolate porter in the small bottles,also very nice.
  • rubertoe
    Do you like stout?

you mean like Mackeson's?

• Mackeson's is IMO a much maligned beer. I think it's delicious, especially when drunk cool on a hot day.

Porter? Why not? 'Tis the season for darker ales after all. Meantime porter and the London stout are both pretty good. Fuller's also do a nice porter, called London Porter. Original name eh? And although I keep saying I'm not a huge fan of Fuller's beers it is also pretty nice. You should be able to find some in that there London.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • crumbschief
    rubertoe wrote:
    Do you like stout?

you mean like Mackeson's?

No not like Mackesons but that's a good thing,sounds like you have experiences ahead and as BeerGeek says it suits the season so give it a go it's a great old style beer.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Since my Coeliac diagnosis a couple of years ago I have really struggled on the beer front as the GF beers on offer tend to be 1. Extremely expensive 2. Hard to find 3. A bit lacklustre.

For my birthday this year though Laura got me a GF beer kit (Gone with the wheat Ale). Did the initial work a couple of weeks ago and transferred it over to the cask on Tuesday night. Had a small sample at transfer and it was very promising indeed - nice and hoppy, refreshing and moreish, so I can't wait to have my first proper pint on Christmas day. This has opened up a whole world of home brew options and I already have a bottle conditioned lager kit on order!
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    WarrenG wrote:
    Waitrose also do Darkstar Espresso which I like - it's only 4.2% so it is a little thin. Not too keen on the Meantime one

Sainsburys own label Porter is good and although Bad King John isn't a porter it's getting there

Darkstar also do a coconut porter which is actually really good

Wierd Beard Brewing Co do one called "Something Something Dark Side" which is lush and an apocolyptic 9.5%

Pigs Ear beer festival in Hackney was a lot of fun... the morning after was not
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Went to the pictures last night and beforehand managed a swift half of this:

http://www.ellandbrewery.co.uk/1872-porter/

Champion Beer of Britain 2013 apparently. Very, very nice and recommended. I found it in a Wetherspoons which at 6pm was very full of exceedingly drunk people yelling at each other. I hate Wetherspoons.

I had a pint of this last night in the Caversham Wetherspoons, which clearly breaks the stereotype by being a friendly, non-shouty and thoroughly pleasant place with a great range of ale.

It's lovely, dark and smooth, a little sweet but dangerous at 6.3%. I only had the one after the two other beers I had with dinner..
    Misguided Idealist
  • I tasted Chapel Down's Curious Brew at the weekend. Even though its a laaarger it was really nice - thought it was a little like a dark Sam Adam's in the US but a little more refined. Looking forward to trying the IPA.

I like a decent Stout. A good pint of Oyster was had at the Lords Taverners last week.

The best draught stout I've tasted was Bellhaven's Black.

If anyone knows a pub in London that serves Bellhaven's Black let me know.
    Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
    GT Edge Ti
    Ribble Audax
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    I was in the Queen's Head on Acton Road, Kings Cross last night. I've never been before but was off to a gig nearby and they had nice Oyster Stout on. Can't remember it's name - it started with an A
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • mmmm Porter.

Highly recommend the Woddforde's Nog Porter at £20 for 40 pints. Obviously you have to make it first, but that's what the kids old wendy house is for. Obviously.
  • itboffin
    Small glass or giant bottle?

tinyglass.jpg
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    With ice??

Please tell me you are just chilling the glass.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rubertoe
    How do you find the Innes ITB?

I found it a bit to alchaholy if that makes sense, but its been a while so i'll pop a couple in the basket at the weekend.

• crumbschief
    I've tried a few of them but Innis do some more in the range,some of teh seasonal and ltd look worth a go

http://www.innisandgunn.com/
  • itboffin
    rjsterry wrote:
    With ice??

Please tell me you are just chilling the glass.

correct sir 8)
  • itboffin
    rubertoe wrote:
    How do you find the Innes ITB?

I found it a bit to alchaholy if that makes sense, but its been a while so i'll pop a couple in the basket at the weekend.

They're very strong and give EVEN me a bit of a headache especially the rum version, but the flavor is good and as had been pointed out ensure the temp is right including the glass.

Drinking beer is an art not a thing you do, for further clarification see the rules.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Just found out that I live just inside the 30 Mile Club for Ramsbury Brewery. Christmas order going in....

Had a couple of fantastic ales at The Old Red Cow in EC1 the other night. Obviously, very good as I can't remember what they were. Nice place though.

Also a fan of the Weatherspoons local to us. Good beer, well looked after and fine range of quiz machines!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • rubertoe
    Anyone tried Fullers Golden Pride? its along the same sort of lines as the Innes & Gun pictured, as in its strong at 8.5% and meant to be like an Abbey Beer.

Might pick up a bottle or two tonight.

• rubertoe wrote:
    Anyone tried Fullers Golden Pride? its along the same sort of lines as the Innes & Gun pictured, as in its strong at 8.5% and meant to be like an Abbey Beer.

Might pick up a bottle or two tonight.
    I can't really compare them as I haven't tried any of the Innis & Gunn beers. Golden Pride is a barley wine. It's a little misleading to think it is more of a hyped-up London Pride. I find it quite sickly sweet to the taste.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • rubertoe
    Having never tried barley wine i think i'll just pick up Waitrose Belgian Blonde then.

Cheers BBG.

• ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    mrc1 wrote:
    Since my Coeliac diagnosis a couple of years ago I have really struggled on the beer front as the GF beers on offer tend to be 1. Extremely expensive 2. Hard to find 3. A bit lacklustre.

For my birthday this year though Laura got me a GF beer kit (Gone with the wheat Ale). Did the initial work a couple of weeks ago and transferred it over to the cask on Tuesday night. Had a small sample at transfer and it was very promising indeed - nice and hoppy, refreshing and moreish, so I can't wait to have my first proper pint on Christmas day. This has opened up a whole world of home brew options and I already have a bottle conditioned lager kit on order!

I'm going to start homebrewing in the new year. Looking forward to it.

In the meantime, St Peters do a GF beer, as do Estrella in Barcelona (look out for Daura). Green's are OK too, as are Hambleton's GFA and GFL. More here.