Silly Commuter Beers/Ales (and other Beverages).

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Blimey, I've been wanting to respond to this since Friday lunchtime and haven't had a chance until now. I must say London Pride is the beer I drink the most of, and I do like it. There is a lovely Fullers pub near me and the Pride is usually excellent. A couple of times this year it has been a bit lack lustre, a change of barrel sorts it out immediately. I think the turnover in there is so low that as it gets to the end of the barrel it's passed it's best. I think when the landlord retires the pub will be no more, a real shame.
    O ther than that I do like a bit of variety, troube being I rarely remember what I've been drinking. The Sussex Arms in Twickenham serves a great, and constantly changing, selection of beers. They will also let you sample before you make a decision. I've had many a good night in there. The old landlord and his lady are now running a pub in Surbiton I believe, must search it out.
    As Agent57 says above American beer was laughable for a long time, but they have really come on in recent years and there are some fine beers coming from over there. Although I usually stick to more local fare.
    I was bought a great book last Christmas, 1001 Beers to Try Before You Die. Now there's something to aim for.
    I'm looking forward to tomorrows first installment of the beer advent calendar.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    jimmypippa wrote:
    I want to like Robinson's, but found that all I have tried seem to taste the same and somehow insipid.

To be honest, I haven't tried many of their beers. But my previous employer did their Web sites, including the Trooper site. So we got a bunch of free samples. Trooper is OK, but I preferred the Dizzy Blonde. I've got some bottles of Unicorn and Build a Rocket Boys to try.

My tate buds may be biased due to locality, but I like the Lancaster beers that I've tried. Haven't had a go with Black yet, but Red, Amber and Blonde all go down well.

Can't seem to find any local pubs that serve mild these days though, which is odd as I thought the North West remained one of the pockets of resistance in the battle between mild and its complete ousting by bitter. None of the local Thwaites pubs seem to have Nutty Black, for example.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    A few years back i started reading this whilst touring some of my now local pubs

If you like stats beer & history I recommend this book
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beer-Britannia- ... 0750927488
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    Not been to the pub this weekend (not that Epsom is particularly loaded with decent pubs) so I've had to settle for Westmalle Dubbel and Darkstar Espresso

To whoever mentioned the Sussex in Twickenham, I'm jealous. I'd love a decent pub within walking distance
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • itboffin
    Now darkstar that's a gem especially the hophead, I can sometimes be found in the Harp Covent Garden suping on a pint or twelve, nom nom nom
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    itboffin wrote:
    Now darkstar that's a gem especially the hophead, I can sometimes be found in the Harp Covent Garden suping on a pint or twelve, nom nom nom

Currently sampling Cerveza Tropical, planning my 100k meander through the volcanoes tomorrow. Did I mention it was 25 degrees here Boffin.
  • itboffin
    JZed wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Currently sampling Cerveza Tropical, planning my 100k meander through the volcanoes tomorrow. Did I mention it was 25 degrees here Boffin.

Surprising warm for Essex this time of the year than, but still at least you have a girls drink to refresh you :wink:
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    The Harp is 2 mins from my office so between that and the Lamb and Flag I've got good reason to arrange off-site "meetings"
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Hmmmm - Still cant beat Lowlander.

I like Belgium beer and they sell alot.

Back on it on Friday, 3 pints of Hobgoblin and a bottle of Doombar in a pewter jug....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Mmmmm, Jaipur. Currently supping a Sambrook's Barley Wine. They gave it me as a Christmas present at the London Beer Market at Spitalfields yesterday. Bloody good.
  • My local is a Fuller's pub (all of 30 seconds walk away) so mainly London Pride. I had an ESB yesterday which was rather nice. And on Saturday I found some 1845 bottles lurking in a cupboard, so I drank them after Achel Bruin. I'm not a massive fan of Fuller's ales, but the 1845 is the pick of the bunch IMO.

Apart from supping Belgian ale, I'm mainly drinking homebrew these days. I'm rather pleased with a Hopback Summer Lightning clone that's very quaffable.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • rubertoe
    BBG,

Where are you sourcing your Belgian Beers from? Not to many in the supermarkets (although Waitrose Belgian Blonde is rather good VFM)
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Did the meantime tour the other weekend, thoroughly enjoyed. This time of year really liking a porter or a red, so agree on Yakima. Also really like their chocolate porter.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • I'm increasingly interested in lager - not Stella etc, but what might be termed 'real' lager. I'm especially interested in finding examples of 'real' lager on tap, but it seems to be rare as hen's teeth. In fact, the only things I've found have been Schiehallion on tap in the big Wetherspoons on Gracechurch St (which unsurprisingly wasn't that nice), Pilsner Urquell in a few Nicholson's places (which has been a mixed bag), and the couple of Meantime offerings in their Greenwich pub, which again have been a bit hit and miss (I find Meantime annoyingly inconsistent, but maybe it's just me).

The best lager I've ever tasted in England was Munich Hofbrauhaus stuff, which the Eel Pie in Twickenham had on tap when I was there once for something Rugby-related. 6%, nice bit of maltiness to balance the usual bitter lager finish.

Anyhoo, anyone into good lager? Any tips on where to find good examples on tap around town?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I'm increasingly interested in lager - not Stella etc, but what might be termed 'real' lager. I'm especially interested in finding examples of 'real' lager on tap, but it seems to be rare as hen's teeth. In fact, the only things I've found have been Schiehallion on tap in the big Wetherspoons on Gracechurch St (which unsurprisingly wasn't that nice), Pilsner Urquell in a few Nicholson's places (which has been a mixed bag), and the couple of Meantime offerings in their Greenwich pub, which again have been a bit hit and miss (I find Meantime annoyingly inconsistent, but maybe it's just me).

The best lager I've ever tasted in England was Munich Hofbrauhaus stuff, which the Eel Pie in Twickenham had on tap when I was there once for something Rugby-related. 6%, nice bit of maltiness to balance the usual bitter lager finish.

Anyhoo, anyone into good lager? Any tips on where to find good examples on tap around town?

My local sells a nice pint of Koenig Pils.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Pigs Ear beer festival is this week... worth visiting if you like your beers

Also a little app call Untappd is excellent for finding out more but it will tell you how many beers you've had which is a little worrying
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • rubertoe
    Clever Pun wrote:

Also a little app call Untappd is excellent for finding out more but it will tell you how many beers you've had which is a little worrying

Mrs Toe will do the same thing.

• ketsbaia
    I'm increasingly interested in lager - not Stella etc, but what might be termed 'real' lager. I'm especially interested in finding examples of 'real' lager on tap, but it seems to be rare as hen's teeth. In fact, the only things I've found have been Schiehallion on tap in the big Wetherspoons on Gracechurch St (which unsurprisingly wasn't that nice), Pilsner Urquell in a few Nicholson's places (which has been a mixed bag), and the couple of Meantime offerings in their Greenwich pub, which again have been a bit hit and miss (I find Meantime annoyingly inconsistent, but maybe it's just me).

Get involved in some of the Bernard Unfiltered at the Euston Tap. An awesome lager.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    itboffin wrote:

Surprising warm for Essex this time of the year than, but still at least you have a girls drink to refresh you :wink:

Only 21 degrees for todays 100k, now refueling with Cruzcampo.
  • rubertoe wrote:
    BBG,

Where are you sourcing your Belgian Beers from? Not to many in the supermarkets (although Waitrose Belgian Blonde is rather good VFM)
    Belgium. I go across whenever necessary and fill the car to the gunwales. And get some wine in France for Mrs BBGeek. Even with the drive there and back it still works out quite cheap. I used to go about twice a year but those trips are becoming more frequent. The stuff doesn't last like it did...
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • I'm increasingly interested in lager - not Stella etc, but what might be termed 'real' lager. I'm especially interested in finding examples of 'real' lager on tap, but it seems to be rare as hen's teeth. In fact, the only things I've found have been Schiehallion on tap in the big Wetherspoons on Gracechurch St (which unsurprisingly wasn't that nice), Pilsner Urquell in a few Nicholson's places (which has been a mixed bag), and the couple of Meantime offerings in their Greenwich pub, which again have been a bit hit and miss (I find Meantime annoyingly inconsistent, but maybe it's just me).

Can't really help with London. A local pub to me does Kaltenberg Helles on draught. Really nice beer - well worth trying if you come across some.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • rubertoe
    Cheers BBG, I shall be packing up the family and heading across the water.

Good belgian beer is just to pricey in the UK and hard to find - Triple Karmilet is my favourite and at £3 (330ml) a pop it can get expensive. But I can certainly justify large bottles of Duval.

• ketsbaia
    A mate of mine brought me a bottle of Cantillon Grand Cru from his local off-licence in Liege. Considerably cheaper over there, I'm told.

Over here, your best bet for Belgian beers is Utobeer, Kris Wines or the Lowlander. Doesn't come cheap, mind.
  • Clever Pun
    rubertoe wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

ha.. yeah

It will also recommend beers given what you've just had... and you get badges for drinking more... I've got too many badges
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    rubertoe wrote:
    Cheers BBG, I shall be packing up the family and heading across the water.

Good belgian beer is just to pricey in the UK and hard to find - Triple Karmilet is my favourite and at £3 (330ml) a pop it can get expensive. But I can certainly justify large bottles of Duval.

There's an amazing beer shop in G(h)ent
    http://www.dehopduvel.be/engels/index.html

Got a little excitable when we went there

Also if you're lucky enough to get an appointment you can go via St Sixtus
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Get involved in some of the Bernard Unfiltered at the Euston Tap. An awesome lager.

That sounds like a live tip - now, how to steer one of my rare nights out in the direction of the Euston tap..?

Re Belgian beer, just do a day trip to Calais, drive to Adinkerke and go to the Delhaise supermarket there. Lots of good stuff available for a fraction of the price we pay here, and you can possibly finance the trip by buying in lots of ciggies for the smokers in your life from the many tobacco shops that cater for cross-border fag-buyers.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Clever Pun wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

ha.. yeah

It will also recommend beers given what you've just had... and you get badges for drinking more... I've got too many badges
    Presumably the reasoning is that drunks are like kids and aspire to more badges. Works for me, makes mental note to install said app.
  • Clever Pun
    ketsbaia wrote:
    A mate of mine brought me a bottle of Cantillon Grand Cru from his local off-licence in Liege. Considerably cheaper over there, I'm told.

Over here, your best bet for Belgian beers is Utobeer, Kris Wines or the Lowlander. Doesn't come cheap, mind.

The Dovetail is excellent for Beglian Beers... one by farringdon and another in cov garden I think
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • ketsbaia
    There's one in Hackney too, called The Dove. Think the Cov Gdn Belgian place is the Lowlander.