Silly Commuter Beers/Ales (and other Beverages).

Comments

• ketsbaia wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:
    Since my Coeliac diagnosis a couple of years ago I have really struggled on the beer front as the GF beers on offer tend to be 1. Extremely expensive 2. Hard to find 3. A bit lacklustre.

For my birthday this year though Laura got me a GF beer kit (Gone with the wheat Ale). Did the initial work a couple of weeks ago and transferred it over to the cask on Tuesday night. Had a small sample at transfer and it was very promising indeed - nice and hoppy, refreshing and moreish, so I can't wait to have my first proper pint on Christmas day. This has opened up a whole world of home brew options and I already have a bottle conditioned lager kit on order!

I'm going to start homebrewing in the new year. Looking forward to it.

In the meantime, St Peters do a GF beer, as do Estrella in Barcelona (look out for Daura). Green's are OK too, as are Hambleton's GFA and GFL. More here.
    If you thought cycling can turn into an expensive pastime, wait til you start brewing :lol:
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    ketsbaia wrote:

If you thought cycling can turn into an expensive pastime, wait til you start brewing :lol:
    ^^ this !
    I've been brewing for 2 years now, and it's a whole new way to acquire shiny expensive kit. It's an fascinating process, like a cross between cooking and chemistry and microbiology, AND you get beer at the end :D

In fact, I have a bottle of the porter I made last Christmas waiting for me in the kitchen for when I finish work....
    Misguided Idealist
  • That porter sounds nice. Been meaning to make some, but got side-tracked with hoppy pale ales.

Had this beer last night, but forgot to mention it 'cos I forgot the name. Not a porter or winter beer but a lager.
    Found it in Tesco - Revisionist Craft Lager. Made by Marstons. I thought it was a bit floral at first, but it really grew on me over a couple of bottles. I would like to try it on draught.
    Now having a few Czech Budweisers. God I love Czech beer.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Going to a pub in the country tomorrow night.

They stock beers from here i am very much looking forward to it.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rubertoe
    My head hurts.

Didnt really get on with the Cask Ale, i prefer my beer a bit more blonde. So had lots of bottles of Duvel.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• Been a beer hunter for years. My favourite brews being mainly Belgian, Dutch and American micro's. I love British real ale too but prefer the stronger ones. Since moving house I've started brewing my own. I currently have the following beers on the go:

Brewferm Belgian Christmas Ale (bottles) - 8.0% (@ around 8 weeks maturation)
    A black, rich, velvety winter warmer. Made about 18 litres of this, have about 9 litres left!!

Brewferm Belgian Diabolo (bottles) - 8.0% (@ around 2 weeks maturation)
    I think this is probably more like 9.0% - 10%. A nice golden ale with a kick like a mule. Warms the cockles!! Only made 9 litres of this, got about 8 litres left.

Bulldog Brewery - Evil dog Double IPA (pressure barrel) - 7.1% (undergoing secondary fermentation).
    Can't wait to try this. Came with 2 different strains of hop pellets in 'teabags' to add to the already heavily hopped wort for a 'green hopped' finish.

Will provide pics at some point.

Cheers and Merry Christmas!!
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    ketsbaia wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:
    Since my Coeliac diagnosis a couple of years ago I have really struggled on the beer front as the GF beers on offer tend to be 1. Extremely expensive 2. Hard to find 3. A bit lacklustre.

For my birthday this year though Laura got me a GF beer kit (Gone with the wheat Ale). Did the initial work a couple of weeks ago and transferred it over to the cask on Tuesday night. Had a small sample at transfer and it was very promising indeed - nice and hoppy, refreshing and moreish, so I can't wait to have my first proper pint on Christmas day. This has opened up a whole world of home brew options and I already have a bottle conditioned lager kit on order!

In the meantime, St Peters do a GF beer, as do Estrella in Barcelona (look out for Daura). Green's are OK too, as are Hambleton's GFA and GFL. More here.

Thanks for the info - I've already tried all of these sadly though! The St Peter's isn't to my taste (hop/bitterness overload, so not very quaffable), the Hambleton's are ok (though both seem to have a weird aftertaste and give me a particularly vicious headache even if I only have two or three - wonder what goes in them chemical wise...) and the Estrella is a nice enough lager but is not actually 100% gluten free, so I do get ill if I drink more than two or three.

The major killer with all of the above is the price! The Estrella is £7.30 for four 330ml bottles in Asda and the rest are all equally pricey and never in the mix and match supermarket deals, so I tend not to get them as a result unless I have mates round to watch the rugby or something similar where drinking a glass of wine wouldn't be the done thing.

It really is a pain in the ar*e this coeliac business (quite literally sometimes)!

That being said my GF ale is coming along really well - had a sample last night and the clarity has improved dramatically since casking (almost totally clear of sediment now) and the taste is fantastic for my first attempt. I was a little worried that I had added too much sugar for the secondary fermentation but seems like i got it just about spot on as there is enough sparkle to pressure rise the cask and give the ale some pep, but not enough to feel like a lager or similar fizzy drink. The best bit about home brewing in my eyes though is that I know that there are no chemicals, zero gluten and it only ends up costing around 90p a pint all in, so I can FINALLY enjoy several beers, after two and a bit years of one or two GF beers at a time!
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    If you haven't had it, I heartily recommend Brooklyn Chocolate Stout. May be a 10% monster, but it's doing wonders for my knackered throat right now.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    My current favourites :

Meantime Pale Ale
    Meantime Yakima Red (only sold in two pubs I know of)
    Brooklyn Lager
    Camden Pale Ale
    Camden Hells lager
    Sam Adams Boston Lager
    Guinness!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    The Antelope in Surbiton is now run by the couple that ran the Sussex Arms in Twickenham. That should be worth a visit if they do half as good a job as they did in the Sussex.
  • okgo
    It's still full of chavs.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • veronese68
    okgo wrote:
    Oh dear, I'll wait then.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Mrs EKE bought me a homebrew kit for Xmas. Yay!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Sorry chaps, can't allow the thread to fall off.
    For those who got brewing kits for Xmas, get brewing! There is nothing nicer than slurping beer you made.
    Recently enjoying some St Austell Proper Job. Yum, just my kind of beer. Apparently there is also a "Big Job" which I am tracking down.
    Happy 2014!
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • rubertoe
    I have been enjoying meantime ipa but still in very small quantities.

I plan on visiting a few of the local brewery's in the coming months.

• ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Another one for mrc1.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=733524189991929

Mikkeller is a fantastic Danish brewery, so I expect this one to be top notch.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    okgo wrote:

Sadly true. The Surbiton Flyer (fullers) is always good or the Lamb on brighton road (weird but friendly).

Second the Yakima Red from meantime, bloody awesome. Current fave is a pint of Sambrooks Junction (clapham/battersea brewery).

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • okgo
    Koncordski wrote:
    okgo wrote:

Sadly true. The Surbiton Flyer (fullers) is always good or the Lamb on brighton road (weird but friendly).

Second the Yakima Red from meantime, bloody awesome. Current fave is a pint of Sambrooks Junction (clapham/battersea brewery).

I go into Gordon Bennet a fair bit as they have meantime on tap :)

Yakima red I've seen on tap in two places, one in Old St, the other in Kings Cross Station
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    They have Yakima Red at Nicholsons pubs, at least they had it at The Walrus & The Carpenter near monument before Christmas. Tonight I'll be drinking the remains of my Shepherd Neame festive ales (TinsAle - terrible name, nice beer) and possibly a Wold Top.
  • Fine Line at Monument also does Meantime beers, including Yakima Rd - they serve it too cold though.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    There's a real ale festival on at the velodrome this week. I've just been sat watching the GB team train on the boards whilst about two thousand thousand old and hairy men (and I honestly haven't seen any women) stand in track centre, drinking beer from around a hundred different barrels, and not paying them a blind bit of attention. Not even when a female reigning world champion's doing pace training behind a motorbike.

Weirdos.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • veronese68
    WHAT!!! Now you tell me. That might have been worth dusting off my passport and travelling to the frozen wastelands of the north for. A friend of mine lives up that way, rides a bike and likes beer. I could have stayed over.
    Let me know next time it's on.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Veronese68 wrote:
    WHAT!!! Now you tell me. That might have been worth dusting off my passport and travelling to the frozen wastelands of the north for. A friend of mine lives up that way, rides a bike and likes beer. I could have stayed over.

It's bizarre. They did one last summer just in the café (so v small) and it was a huge hit apparently, so this one is a lot lot bigger. It's like the Ghent 6 but with nobody paying attention! It's huge. Willl let you know when the next one is. Becky James and Philip Hindes were training today - we were watching the men's team pursuit fly around the track with all these beardy types supping beer and not even watching.

http://www.manchesterbeerfestival.org.uk/
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Veronese68 wrote:

Let's just make one thing clear - if you are positioning yourself as some beer officianado, then you need to get yourself oop north instead of slurping the dishwater that passed as ale dahn sarf.

Whilst there, you can have some decent mushy peas with your fish and chips......
  • msmancunia wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

It's bizarre. They did one last summer just in the café (so v small) and it was a huge hit apparently, so this one is a lot lot bigger. It's like the Ghent 6 but with nobody paying attention! It's huge. Willl let you know when the next one is. Becky James and Philip Hindes were training today - we were watching the men's team pursuit fly around the track with all these beardy types supping beer and not even watching.

Bike riding and racing is a temporary thing, a love of beer is forever. :)
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Rarely a truer word spoken 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    msmancunia wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

I think its bigger as well because Manchester used to host Camras national winter beer festival which used to take most of the organising effort out of the local Camra folk, this year as thats moved to Derby, theyve been able to apply their zeal to running a Manchester beer festival instead. sounded really cool, definitely keep an eye out for the next one.

though I did see Dani King wasnt that impressed about the smell though :shock:
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    edited January 2014
    Edit