Lee's Nukeproof Mega!

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    That's it finished and all ready to ride! No pic but you all know what a rear mech and chain look like. Plus I had to use bright blue cable ties so it looks stupid at the moment. I will upload some new photos after it's maiden voyage. Could be a while before a proper ride though as all my weekends are booked up in the run to Crimbo... off from the 20th though! Can't come soon enough! Will hopefully manage to take it out for a cheeky night ride just to see how it feels as this is my first single pivot bike and first ever air shock! Been a horst-link/coil man for as long as I can remember! :)

Weighed it with my crappy Morrisons luggage scales and it was bang on 32.5lbs, which is 3lbs lighter than my SX Trail. I'm happy enough with that so won't be attempting to shed any more weight.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Ah good stuff dude hope you enjoy it! Yours appears to have come in pretty much dead on the same weight as mine which is quite interesting!
    I'm the opposite and have never used or even ridden a bike with a coil shock, it would be pretty cool to have a thrash on a FR/DH bike at some point. Anyway i'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed with the Mega, it can take some serious abuse!
  • CitizenLee
    Thanks a lot man, must say I'm pretty chuffed with it :)

Funny about the dead on weights eh! I just wanted this to be a bit lighter than the SX Trail, but was actually expecting it to be around 33-34lbs. I think the frames maybe just look heavier than they are, especially in silver with the exposed welds.

Coils are good fun so depending on how I get on with the Float I might consider fitting one to this. We'll see though, as I did want something different.

I was hoping to get out for a quick spin tonight but it's been chucking it down since I left work :(
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    CitizenLee wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    Where'd you get the Ti bolts for the Haven stem?! I want some!!

Here you go mate...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/easton-havoc- ... 3cd7c24694 (Haven uses same bolts)

£9.50 is a bit of a rip compared to Hong Kong sellers, but I got them within a day so can't complain :)

and how much weight did you save lol

I've got the same stem.
  • CitizenLee
    POAH wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    Where'd you get the Ti bolts for the Haven stem?! I want some!!

Here you go mate...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/easton-havoc- ... 3cd7c24694 (Haven uses same bolts)

£9.50 is a bit of a rip compared to Hong Kong sellers, but I got them within a day so can't complain :)

and how much weight did you save lol

I've got the same stem.

Less than I would by taking the change out of my pockets. I just like ti bolts because they don't rust / end up looking shitty 8)

It's a very nice stem. I was going to use a Funnduro 45mm until I spotted the Easton on sale from Merlin.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • CitizenLee
    Finally finished, but sporting a temporary Race Face post whilst the Reverb goes back for warranty.

p4pb10391211.jpg
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Looking good!

What do you make of the Lyric, i'm looking to replace my 2010 Talas R next year as its pap and got a pretty wide budget to play with, I like the look of the Lyric as its so flexible(as in can easily be changed from coil or air). also look the Marzzochi, and the Float in 36.
  • CitizenLee
    Hmm yeeeeas very nice indeed. :mrgreen:

Cheers Mike ;)
    Looking good!

What do you make of the Lyric, i'm looking to replace my 2010 Talas R next year as its pap and got a pretty wide budget to play with, I like the look of the Lyric as its so flexible(as in can easily be changed from coil or air). also look the Marzzochi, and the Float in 36.

Thanks mate. The Lyriks are really nice. They eat up the rough stuff and are nice and stiff. I’ve actually had the floodgate removed for better small bump compliance, but haven’t used them since as I only got them back last week before I built the bike up.

I had 07 Marz 66 (ATA Air) before these and loved how plush they were but other than that they weren’t anything special. Lots of issues too, and these were from when they were still made in Italy so supposed to be the better quality ones! To be honest they put me off using Marz products. When they work they work, but they just seem to have so many QC issues. I did consider 55s before getting the Lyriks, but was scared off by the problems they all appear to suffer (not sure what the 2012-2014 models are like mind you, were talking a few years ago here).

Never used Fox forks for a decent period of time so can’t comment on the Floats.

For all my love of the Lyriks, if I was in the market for new forks for the Mega I’d be looking at the new Pikes or X-Fusion Vengeance HLR DLA.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Pikes are only 15mm bolt throug, and compared to 20mm its just meh... puts me off the pikes.
  • CitizenLee
    Pikes are only 15mm bolt throug, and compared to 20mm its just meh... puts me off the pikes.

I wouldn't let that bother you mate. Unless it's on a DH sled then 15mm probably makes more sense than 20mm to be honest. Riding the same fork but with different axles I doubt you'd notice any difference in stiffness.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • CitizenLee
    Brand new Reverb on it's way to me from Bike-Discount! Must say I'm impressed at their turnaround time. Fingers crossed this one isn't DoA like it's predecessor! :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • CitizenLee
    Took the Mega out for it's first ride today to a local spot called Blacktop. It's around 10m round trip I'm and happy to report everything works great. Just need to tweak the shock pressure a little but otherwise it rides and handles amazingly well. The replacement Reverb appears to be perfect too :)

On the way to the forest
    p4pb10473421.jpg
    Back home via the beach
    p4pb10473429.jpg
    Clean again
    p4pb10473433.jpg
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Love the red touches!
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • CitizenLee
    Thanks mate. I did originally have a red Hope QR seat clamp on order but decided a bolt would be better since I have the Reverb. I also had red chainring bolts from my old bike but appear to have lost one, so will have to order some more.

Sent the shock away to get PUSH tuned today. Can't wait to get it back and test it out :D
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • CitizenLee
    PUSH tuned goodness :D

p4pb10516284.jpg
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Did the tune make a big difference? I'm thinking of getting my Monarch done on my Mega to get more mid stroke compression.
    What was the readon you wanted yours done?
  • Polf
    Polf Posts: 64
    Thinking of removing the decals from my Mega. How did you get yours off and were they easy to remove? Great looking bike btw.
    Yeti SB95
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275
    On One 456C

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, does not try it on"
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Polf wrote:
    Thinking of removing the decals from my Mega. How did you get yours off and were they easy to remove? Great looking bike btw.

Assuming they're not lacquered over just warm them with a hairdrier, peel them off and remove any residue with white spirit or similar.
  • CitizenLee
    @RockmonkeySC Just got it back yesterday mate so will be fitting it later today if the rain stops. I got it done so it would be properly set to my weight and riding style. Previous owner was a bit lighter than me. The Push was more of a treat but I have a few friends with Pushed shocks and they rate it very highly over a standard tune. I'll report back after I've tested it.

@Polf Cheers man. The stickers aren't easy to remove to be honest. Really thick vinyl and even thicker gum. Tried white spirit and a rag but ended up using my thumb which was sore but effective!

@Kowalski See above mate! :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Kowalski675
    Your white spirit must be faulty ;)
  • CitizenLee
    Check the Nukeproof owners thread on Pinkbike, I'm not the only one ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Kowalski675
    Maybe they all bought the same brand of white spirit ;)

Alternatively, use an angle grinder... :wink:
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    The decals are like motorcross vinyl, they are quite thick. They come off quite easily but the glue is a pain! I too like lee found rolling with my thumb much easier. I just did a few one week, a few more the week after! It let my thumb recover that way! Lol
  • CitizenLee
    *AJ* wrote:
    The decals are like motorcross vinyl, they are quite thick. They come off quite easily but the glue is a pain! I too like lee found rolling with my thumb much easier. I just did a few one week, a few more the week after! It let my thumb recover that way! Lol

Exactly mate, they're not your standard bike decals. I usually remove or replace the stickers on all my stuff and never have any hassle but these were a total pain in the arse! It laughed in the face of white spirit and when I then tried some potent solvent glue remover and it just turned it into a chewing gum like mess. So thumb and elbow grease it was :)

Your welcome to remove my downtube decals Kowalski :lol:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Kowalski675
    CitizenLee wrote:

Bring it on, I'll have 'em off in no time...

150820101566_zps19b6094b.jpg

:wink:
  • Polf
    Polf Posts: 64
    Will be attempting to get mine off this week. Have this years model and don't really like the yellow stripes so hope they haven't decided to start lacquering over them. Thanks for the info.
    Yeti SB95
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275
    On One 456C

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, does not try it on"
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    CitizenLee wrote:

Bring it on, I'll have 'em off in no time...

150820101566_zps19b6094b.jpg

:wink:

youch...
  • Kowalski675
    RideOnTime wrote:
    youch...

Nah, this one was the youch:

Image181_zps7dffba34.jpg

Image178_zps720461a9.jpg

:lol:
  • CitizenLee
    Polf wrote:
    Will be attempting to get mine off this week. Have this years model and don't really like the yellow stripes so hope they haven't decided to start lacquering over them. Thanks for the info.

Pretty sure they're lacquered on now mate, but could be wrong.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous: