The rules for sandwiches

Comments

• mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    [/quote]
    Proper American salt beef with lots of slices. Now that's a sandwich! With compulsory pickled cucumber spears on the side.[/quote]

On rye, with a side of fries and an ice cold coke. Don't know where the taste for this come from as I've never been to NY and I'm a Goy...which i will prove by nominating a proper West Midlands Hot Pork sandwich, with stuffing, gravy, apple sauce and crackling. What time is Man v Food on Dave?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    My stomach is rumbling!
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    sandwiches consist of 2 slices with the filling in the middle - no 'open' sandwiches.
    For me both inner sides must be buttered no matter the filling.
    The more the sandwich is cut the younger the eater or the posher the occasion.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    . . .nominating a proper West Midlands Hot Pork sandwich, with stuffing, gravy, apple sauce and crackling. What time is Man v Food on Dave?

Egad, where does one get one of these masterpieces?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • fish finger and baked bean sandwiches = heaven. Sod your tartar sauce!!!

You can't ban crisps from sandwiches, how would you have crisps + cadburys buttons sandwiches? Really. try it. can only be cheese & onion or ready salted crisps tho.

And cucumber??? in a sandwich?? not under any circumstances, unless you are southern slip on shoe wearer.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    And cucumber??? in a sandwich?? not under any circumstances/quote]

"It has been a common saying of physicians in England, that a cucumber should be well sliced, and dressed with pepper and vinegar, and then thrown out, as good for nothing." Samuel Johnson.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Cygnus wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Crisps are a condiment, not a filling – i.e., you can add them to your cheese sandwich but you can’t have just a crisp sandwich unless you live up north
    FTFY
    North of where?
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    When finishing the sandwich, both sides of the butter knife shall be wiped once on top of the sandwich to avoid waste.

Bacon butties must be allowed sufficient time for the fat and the melted butter to mingle and create the taste known simply as "heaven".

Smooth peanut butter is not acceptable, unless the eater does not have any teeth.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Giraffoto wrote:
    . . .nominating a proper West Midlands Hot Pork sandwich, with stuffing, gravy, apple sauce and crackling. What time is Man v Food on Dave?

Egad, where does one get one of these masterpieces?

Wolverhampton I hope (its been a while). There's a van on Market Square in Huntingdon every Saturday that sells hot pork sandwiches, but I'm ashamed to say I've yet to try one. More of a Black Country thing I think (like proper Balti).
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    This is, without doubt, the best sandwich I have ever had in my life.

The smoked meat version.

http://schwartzsdeli.com/ca/index.php?r ... ation_id=8
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • team47b wrote:
    A fried egg sandwich should always be referred to as an egg banjo, HP sauce being the only acceptable addition.

Now that's a sandwich, only improved by adding fried mushrooms to make it even messier to eat :D
    Wrong. The only acceptable addition to to an egg banjo is Tabasco sauce.
    MMM...egg banjo. Best eaten after a gallon of Bass and made at midnight in your mum's kitchen. With all of the smoke alarms going off. But not before you've had a good few slurps of your dad's scotch. Happy days.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Fish finger sandwiches MUST bear the imprint of the maker's fingers, and thumb (optional). :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Fish finger sandwiches are cool when made bigger by using a bit of breadcrumbed fish. Cut a fresh baguette to the length of the bit of fish, loads of iceberg lettuce first then the fish, then plenty of tartare sauce. Good après-slotted food.
  • Giraffoto
    mfin wrote:
    Fish finger sandwiches are cool when made bigger by using a bit of breadcrumbed fish. Cut a fresh baguette to the length of the bit of fish, loads of iceberg lettuce first then the fish, then plenty of tartare sauce. Good après-slotted food.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's tried this with a piece of fried cod from a fish&chip shop.

It seems from the responses here that the rules may have to vary for hot or cold fillings. Also white bread may be acceptable if it's (1) very fresh (2) cut from a proper crusty loaf (3) at least as thick as the consumer's thumb.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Peddle Up!
    mfin wrote:

I had a sample of this in a "gastropub". The fish had the skin on and was full of bones - a dreadful experience.
  • Giraffoto
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    mfin wrote:

I had a sample of this in a "gastropub". The fish had the skin on and was full of bones - a dreadful experience.
    I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's tried this with a piece of fried cod from a fish&chip shop.

Well that answers that one. It has to be one of those oversized fish finger things you get in the frozen food section - that's a rule!
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Fish finger sandwiches should be as follows:
    - two slices of bread, brown is acceptable, thick but definitely sliced in a packet type bread
    - 3-4 fish fingers, regular Birds-Eye style
    - Mayo
    - Ketchup
    - Optional: melted cheese on the fish fingers.

Consume with a packet of cheesy snacks (Mccoys, Quavers both good) and a cup of tea.

That is all.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    Regarding hard cheeses, sliced should be preferred in a sandwich or completely cut roll. However, grated should be preferred in a roll, especially French bread that retains a spine.

English mustard should be used where possible.

Season.

Do not over fill. Eating or cutting should not lead to ingredients falling out.

Do not serve with crisps, unless said sandwich really is just a snack. A well made sandwich should stand on it's own merits on the plate.

Where possible and if it is a game changer, use homemade ingredients eg hummus or coleslaw.
  • jawooga wrote:

That just has to happen. A sandwich needs to be messy enough that I have to claw it back inside with my fingers!

My favourite sandwich currently is Hot Pastrami on a nice thick piece of white bread with lots of melted cheese, some fried onions and a bit of chili :D
  • seanoconn
    Any filling that escapes the sandwich must be apprehended and returned to sandwich. Fillings are not to be eaten separately.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    jawooga wrote:

That just has to happen. A sandwich needs to be messy enough that I have to claw it back inside with my fingers!

My favourite sandwich currently is Hot Pastrami on a nice thick piece of white bread with lots of melted cheese, some fried onions and a bit of chili :D

Sounds good. When we are sat watching the telly tonight and the missus asks if I fancy a sandwich, I might mention it.
    There again, if I actually want her to do me a sandwich, I think I will say cheese. Otherwise i will be going hungry. :lol:
  • seanoconn
    Sorry to lower the tone but a hot frankfurter (30 seconds in the microwave) sandwich is pretty bloody good. With mustard, mayo, ketchup or any combo :D
  • Giraffoto
    jawooga wrote:
    Regarding hard cheeses . . . grated should be preferred in a roll, especially French bread that retains a spine . . .

I've had an aversion to grated cheese in sandwiches since I was given a (grated) cheese and pickle sandwich in hospital after having my back fixed. During that first 24 hours when I had to remain flat on my back. Sandwich fillings in your hair aren't acceptable past the age of two and a half.

. . .a hot frankfurter (30 seconds in the microwave) sandwich is pretty bloody good. With mustard, mayo, ketchup or any combo

Agreed, it's particularly good if you have a couple of them in a baguette with lots of butter. Has to be the fat ones though.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Didn't Allan Peiper in the TDF late 80s early 90s have cheese and pickle sandwiches, may have been egg and bacon? handed up to him in his musette.
    Hmmmmmmm it was about that time wasn't? Does beg the question what else was in those sarnies?
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Giraffoto wrote:
    jawooga wrote:
    Regarding hard cheeses . . . grated should be preferred in a roll, especially French bread that retains a spine . . .

I've had an aversion to grated cheese in sandwiches since I was given a (grated) cheese and pickle sandwich in hospital after having my back fixed. During that first 24 hours when I had to remain flat on my back. Sandwich fillings in your hair aren't acceptable past the age of two and a half.

Sometimes the clinical needs of the patient are not reflected in the catering output. This is a serious area of concern for the NHS - or any healthcare provider -as nutrition plays a vital role in recovery.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Anyone else like cheese and jam sandwiches? My favorite filling!
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • jordan_217 wrote:
    +1 to this. Possibly the most awesome sandwich filling ever.

Although curry sandwiches are a close second.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Peddle Up!
    Hmmm... just remembered an old favourite. Thickly cut rare-roasted beef, warm fried onions and a good dollop of mayo. Yum. :)
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Chuck in a bit of chopped onion and you have one of my wifes favourites.

Then again, she does also like banana & beetroot.

No taste my wife. Oh! :oops:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Peddle Up!
    daviesee wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Chuck in a bit of chopped onion and you have one of my wifes favourites.

Then again, she does also like banana & beetroot.

No taste my wife. Oh! :oops:

Is she "with child"? :)