The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I think an important factor in this result is that it came before the transfer window had closed, I think if they had played and beaten mid table teams up to the end of the month then they might not have thought they needed to buy anyone but now I think Chelsea will make at least a couple of big signings.

I have a horrible feeling united might stumble their way to winning the title in a very boring manner. (I will try and remember to find this quote if it happens, if it doesn't I might come back and delete it)
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,777
    Fernandhino didn't get sent off because he didn't deliberately elbow Costa, simple really! Anyone who understands football and has seen the incident can see that.

Although it's refreshing to see Cheatski fans being honest enough to admit the only chance they have of beating City is be playing against a team of fewer players :wink:

With Cheatski appearing to be on the verge of meltdown their Special Needs One seems to be running out of excuses. I can't wait to hear what he comes out with next :roll:

I agree with him on one thing though...it was a 'fake' result.

It should have been 6 or 7 nil, such was City's dominance! :mrgreen:
    City are on form just now, but as we discovered last season, it doesn't last anywhere near all season :wink:

Anyway don't go getting all overexcited :)

11880400_887774067926156_4531476043963990440_n.jpg?oh=0ba857f34b7baef8ca2de4ef06301e0b&oe=567B57D7
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Fernandhino didn't get sent off because he didn't deliberately elbow Costa, simple really! Anyone who understands football and has seen the incident can see that.

Although it's refreshing to see Cheatski fans being honest enough to admit the only chance they have of beating City is be playing against a team of fewer players :wink:

With Cheatski appearing to be on the verge of meltdown their Special Needs One seems to be running out of excuses. I can't wait to hear what he comes out with next :roll:

I agree with him on one thing though...it was a 'fake' result

City are on form just now, but as we discovered last season, it doesn't last anywhere near all season :wink:

11880400_887774067926156_4531476043963990440_n.jpg?oh=0ba857f34b7baef8ca2de4ef06301e0b&oe=567B57D7

http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-premier-league-2014-2015/1/

Stevo I thought you were meant to be good with Figures? Even you cant fudge these ones.
    These are last season and Citee have added to the Etihad producing their biggest ever crowd yesterday.
    300 hundred extra seats for away fans, which Chelski didn't fill yesterday aswell.

Shame Property costs so much on the Kings road or are Chelski moving out to Milton Keynes as well?
  • Stevo_666

I agree with him on one thing though...it was a 'fake' result

http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-premier-league-2014-2015/1/

Stevo I thought you were meant to be good with Figures? Even you cant fudge these ones.
    These are last season and Citee have added to the Etihad producing their biggest ever crowd yesterday.
    300 hundred extra seats for away fans, which Chelski didn't fill yesterday aswell.

Shame Property costs so much on the Kings road or are Chelski moving out to Milton Keynes as well?
    Timmeh, I think you'll find our percentage occupancy is way better than the 'Emptihad' as it's known to many :) . The latest plan is to build a 60,000 seater on the current Fulham Broadway site but subject to getting all the planning malarky sorted and a suitable interim venue in the meantime - so could be a while.

Although once we are in a big new stadium, potentially that gives us a decade's worth of half ar$ed excuses if we don't win anything :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Fernandinho sent off? No no no, we all know the same rules do not apply when it's a deliberate elbow on Costa. Mind you not the only strange refereeing today, so nice of Lee Mason to give Mertesacker a little heads up today so he could then let Arsene know that it's probably time to take off Coquelin. Such considerate officiating, some teams would have just got a second yellow or a red and have been left with 10 men. And exactly how many fouls does a talented playmaker have to commit to receive a yellow? Two if you're Eden Hazard, but who knows how many more than six it could be if you're David Silva. Funny old game. :D

^^Do the same people who sell the scarves at Stamford bridge sell the tin foil hats too? :roll:

No but they do sell 'magic' hats, in tribute to Cesc Fabregas. Who won his first ever Premier League last season, after years and years of failure at Arsenal. :wink:
    Anyhow I'm not going down the conspiracy route, merely pointing out facts. There is no doubt to me that if Costa had made that challenge on Fernandinho then the reaction from many quarters would have been different, especially the JCL's. ( And Sky too! Tin hats? Hmmm you could be onto something. :D )
  • tim_wand
    The latest plan is to build a 60,000 seater on the current Fulham Broadway site but subject to getting all the planning malarky sorted and a suitable interim venue in the meantime - so could be a while.

Although once we are in a big new stadium, potentially that gives us a decade's worth of half ar$ed excuses if we don't win anything :wink:

I Thought this Government were determined to cut down on Russian Oligarchs laundering their money through property in the West End. :D

As that other Great Russian footballing Patron (Usmanov) stated, Wenger gave 10 years to build the Emirates, hate to admit it but I d rather be at Highbury as the first London Club to win the EPL.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,124
    Fernandinho...game. :D

^^Do the same people who sell the scarves at Stamford bridge sell the tin foil hats too? :roll:

No...Arsenal. :wink:
    Anyhow I'm not going down the conspiracy route, merely pointing out facts. There is no doubt to me that if Costa had made that challenge on Fernandinho then the reaction from many quarters would have been different, especially the JCL's. ( And Sky too! Tin hats? Hmmm you could be onto something. :D )

Costa is aggressive and as the commentator put it, if it had been anyone else, Fernandihno would have beed probably sent off. I think F'D'Ho was in his face and Costa was frustrated by it - there were a few off the ball moments. What goes around, comes around. Costa was competing last year as a newbie to ipmress but this year, so far, he seems a little off colour.
    He'd better start scoring else i'm going to sub him the greasy spick.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Rather than 'facts' :shock: spouted by teenagers I tend to give more credence to the views of people who actually know what they're talking about...

DERMOT GALLAGHER SAYS: "It is not violent conduct. Violent conduct is throwing your elbow out. It is punching somebody. Fernandinho has used his arm to go up as leverage. He catches him - there is no doubt about that. It is reckless. He hasn't gone up to elbow him and he hasn't thrown an elbow into his face. I think Martin Atkinson got it absolutely correct."

On the plus side, we might have found someone to fill the void left by Manc33 :lol:
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Liverpool lucking out tonght. I'm going to feel sorry for Bournemouth the way their season may go. Though I would bet on them to grab a draw or win tonight now
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    Fernandinho sent off? No no no, we all know the same rules do not apply when it's a deliberate elbow on Costa. Mind you not the only strange refereeing today, so nice of Lee Mason to give Mertesacker a little heads up today so he could then let Arsene know that it's probably time to take off Coquelin. Such considerate officiating, some teams would have just got a second yellow or a red and have been left with 10 men. And exactly how many fouls does a talented playmaker have to commit to receive a yellow? Two if you're Eden Hazard, but who knows how many more than six it could be if you're David Silva. Funny old game. :D

No but they do sell 'magic' hats, in tribute to Cesc Fabregas. Who won his first ever Premier League last season, after years and years of failure at Arsenal. :wink:

I just think I'm in the camp that believes these things even themselves out. Maybe another day, another ref, away rather than at home, Fernandinho sees red. But I'm going to assume at this point Chelsea players will also end up on the right side of similar decisions as the season gos on. Would the decision be different if Costa makes the same challenge? Maybe? Is that victimisation or reputation? I think there's often too many variables to know for sure.

Do you think Fernandinho seeing red changes the result cornerblock? Because I'm not sure about that. Either way, Spurs are above Chelsea so that's just fine with me :D !
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • city_boy
    There are one or two who seem to prefer the views proffered by the BBC.

I wonder if they are in agreement with this one? :wink:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33952306
  • cornerblock

I just think I'm in the camp that believes these things even themselves out. Maybe another day, another ref, away rather than at home, Fernandinho sees red. But I'm going to assume at this point Chelsea players will also end up on the right side of similar decisions as the season gos on. Would the decision be different if Costa makes the same challenge? Maybe? Is that victimisation or reputation? I think there's often too many variables to know for sure.

Do you think Fernandinho seeing red changes the result cornerblock? Because I'm not sure about that. Either way, Spurs are above Chelsea so that's just fine with me :D !

No Fernandino getting his marching orders would not have altered the result, we were never in the game to be honest, but for Begovic we'd have been 4 or 5 down at half time.

I know they say that these things even themselves out, not so sure. It's true though that some go for you and some go against, what annoys me is just the inconsistencies. The same ref can make two totally different calls, sometimes on virtually identical situations.

Take that Oliver example I posted earlier. Ospina near 'Schumachers' Oscar last season. (That's Harald not Michael for all the JCL's! :wink: ) and Oliver gives absolutely nothing. Then he can't get his red out quick enough for the Courtois challenge on Gomis. Now putting to one side the fact they both involve Chelsea, they both involve the same referee. I just find it baffling that he can see nothing wrong with one but does with the other.

All fans, real football fans, know it's a tough job refereeing, especially these days with all the blatant cheating and play acting that goes on but refs would help themselves no end if they were at least consistent.
  • tim_wand
    Must admit even as a Gooner, I thought Ospina mugged Oscar in the Community Shield and I was pretty sure he was going to get a red. The only way I can think he didn't, was despite our subsequent gloating, it was a nothing Game and its a rare thing for a ref to give someone their marching orders in a Wembly show piece.

I honestly don't think there was any intent in the Fernandinho " elbow", but it was a foul and warranted some form of action, but not a red.

As for Coquelin again although grateful , I cant see why he didn't get two yellows= red. The first bookable offence was a blatant and cynical foul, the second again was cynical and committed to break down play when the opposition was in an advantageous area, and therefore warranted a second yellow.

We wouldn't have beaten Palace with 10 men. But City would have still beaten Chelsea with or without Fernandinho.
  • pinno
    Chelsea didn't turn up yesterday, simples. Boy they don't alf moan when lady luck doesn't shine on them.
    Take it from a Gooner, you have to eek the positives even when it is all negative.
  • city_boy
    Must admit even as a Gooner, I thought Ospina mugged Oscar in the Community Shield and I was pretty sure he was going to get a red. The only way I can think he didn't, was despite our subsequent gloating, it was a nothing Game and its a rare thing for a ref to give someone their marching orders in a Wembly show piece.

I honestly don't think there was any intent in the Fernandinho " elbow", but it was a foul and warranted some form of action, but not a red.

As for Coquelin again although grateful , I cant see why he didn't get two yellows= red. The first bookable offence was a blatant and cynical foul, the second again was cynical and committed to break down play when the opposition was in an advantageous area, and therefore warranted a second yellow.

We wouldn't have beaten Palace with 10 men. But City would have still beaten Chelsea with or without Fernandinho.

The big difference is Ospina's challenge didn't deny a goal scoring opportunity. Oscar had already fired a shot on target (which was intercepted by a defender and cleared) before contact with the keeper. A penalty maybe but definitely not a red card.

Courtois on the other hand blatantly denied a goal scoring opportunity and as last man at the point of contact had to go! Correct decision.

The circumstances of the two incidents where completely different and therefore warranted different decisions.

...and Fernandinho was booked for the incident with Costa, again the correct decision by the ref.
  • cornerblock

I realise it must have been very exciting to have finally beaten us but surely you've not been on the sauce since then. :wink: That nothing game where Ospina nearly took Oscars head off was actually a Premier league game at the Emirates last season! And that fella in the funny hat at that Wembley show piece is called Cech. :D
  • Stevo_666
    I think we should let City Boy have his time in the sunshine while City are playing well. He might even start getting delusions that they will do well in the Champions League if they win three on the trot. After all, he spent most of last season under a rock :D
  • pinno
    When Mourinho gets bored, he'll bugger off somewhere else and then come back and then bugger off somewhere else...

In the meantime, he'll have legions of Blues supporters waxing lyrical about him as if he really cares who he manages, as long as he wins trophies. I could see him buggering off back to Inter. He actually shed tears when he left there.
  • tim_wand

I realise it must have been very exciting to have finally beaten us but surely you've not been on the sauce since then. :wink: That nothing game where Ospina nearly took Oscars head off was actually a Premier league game at the Emirates last season! And that fella in the funny hat at that Wembley show piece is called Cech. :D

Whoops!!!! I ll get me coat, I was actually in Sardinia at the time, I don't do well in the heat.
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493

No Fernandino getting his marching orders would not have altered the result, we were never in the game to be honest, but for Begovic we'd have been 4 or 5 down at half time.

I know they say that these things even themselves out, not so sure. It's true though that some go for you and some go against, what annoys me is just the inconsistencies. The same ref can make two totally different calls, sometimes on virtually identical situations.

Take that Oliver example I posted earlier. Ospina near 'Schumachers' Oscar last season. (That's Harald not Michael for all the JCL's! :wink: ) and Oliver gives absolutely nothing. Then he can't get his red out quick enough for the Courtois challenge on Gomis. Now putting to one side the fact they both involve Chelsea, they both involve the same referee. I just find it baffling that he can see nothing wrong with one but does with the other.

All fans, real football fans, know it's a tough job refereeing, especially these days with all the blatant cheating and play acting that goes on but refs would help themselves no end if they were at least consistent.

Totally agree.

When people like sepp blatter say that poor refereeing decisions add to the charm of the game it's a bit of a joke. And obviously some decisions, in certain games, mean much more than others. Personally I like the rugby / American football model where referees have to explain their decisions and are backed up by video replay. Football really is stuck in the dark ages in that regard
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • city_boy
    I think we should let City Boy have his time in the sunshine while City are playing well. He might even start getting delusions that they will do well in the Champions League if they win three on the trot. After all, he spent most of last season under a rock :D

I'm certainly not getting carried away just yet. We might have played two and won them both easily but I'm still waiting to see how we fare when we play one of the big teams! :wink:
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    AFC_Bournemouth_2013.svg_.png

Robbed of at least a point at Anfield. Elphick's goal was clearly okay. Gamesmanship by Loveren fooled the ref. And Benteke's goal!... Coutinho clearly offside according to the new rules. Just goes to show that the big clubs get the decisions their way when it counts.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Stevo_666

I'm certainly not getting carried away just yet. We might have played two and won them both easily but I'm still waiting to see how we fare when we play one of the big teams! :wink:
    Keep your rock on standby for now :)
  • Stevo_666
    Looks promising:

"Ed Woodward has been in Spain for the past two days, with Manchester United in the driving seat to sign the forward from Barcelona. Reports suggested that he was still negotiating a fee with the club.

However, on Wednesday morning it became clear that Chelsea quite fancied getting in on the action, and the club have moved quickly in order to muscle in on the deal.

In fact, it is now claimed that Pedro is already heading to London for a medical with Chelsea.

For their part, Manchester United are now making it clear that they have "ended their interest" in Pedro, although that sounds like a spectacular case of 'didn't fancy her anyway' to us. More likely is that Pedro fancies a move to Chelsea because he is mates with Cesc Fabregas and Victor Valdes warned him about Louis van Gaal.

In addition, the Daily Mail's Mike Anstead claims that Pedro's team didn't even know that Woodward was in the city. Let's just hope he brought home some cheap chorizo to make the trip worthwhile.

Chelsea will pay £21.1m for Pedro, which seems like a bloody steal. How on earth have United ballsed this one up?"
  • pinno
    LVG has his own way obviously. The way he has handled De Gea comes over as a little Fergie like. Maybe he is imposing his own stamp on things but at a cost?

Pedro is an excellent footballer. I do not know why Barca are letting him go. When I watched him play at the Nou camp, he didn't get the ball enough. When he did get the ball, he showed great pace, control and great crossing. That's perhaps where he no longer fits in. The Barca front trio like to go through the middle and as they are all relatively short, the traditional tactic of getting the ball wide and crossing it is not so prevalent.
    If Chelsea does get Pedro, I think that he will be a little stifled, after all, isn't the pitch at Stamford Bridge a little small?
    The Old Truffle pitch is huge and Pedro would be an ideal player for MU.
    It would be good to see Pedro in the PL, a seriously underrated footballer.
  • Stevo_666
    No idea, never measured it. Is there some geeky website that posts club pitch dimensions?

That said, I'm not sure pitch width is a major factor in player selection.
  • tim_wand
    No idea, never measured it. Is there some geeky website that posts club pitch dimensions?

You try getting a routemaster in at Upton Park, Sure Jose could manage it.
  • Stevo_666
  • pinno

It's effects are arguable. Cannot find the article where Fergie made the pitch as wide as he could when Rooney and Ronaldo were playing but there is this:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/oct/29/pochettino-pitch-size-does-matter
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Narrow pitches are easier to defend and the offical width specifications allow for a lot of variance. Hillsborough is quite wide isn't it? I think it was there where a manager took over and immediately took several yards off each side, can't remember who the manager was.