The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    '''ho
    True in that win, lose or draw, none of the big teams had a great weekend.

Yeah good weekend for Liverpool really. Quality of play will prob improve with match fitness but Brendan Rogers seems to be under immediate pressure after last season so he needs some momentum I guess.

Can't believe courtois! It was hard enough picking a Chelsea player in the FF and then, whoops! :shock:. Is there anyone who didn't pick him as their keeper?

:shock: He's been subbed.

At least we are only a point behind Chelski.
    Good to see you have the ambition to be not too far behind us :)

I need to decide who to replace Courtois with in my team, though not sure it will be his former understudy...

things can only get better for Cech surely. Anyway he was a wasted pick for me. Still not going to trade for Mig.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,124
    Just shows you, you can't rely on Chelsea players for points :roll:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,777
    Interesting. Chelsea are appealing against the Courtois red card:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33855839
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Flâneur
    Shame everyone who matters think it was red.
    City showing the rest of the premier league how it is done. (Based on scoreline I was out on the bike, odd on this forum I know)
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pinno
    City's exploits might just have lifted me off the bottom of the bottom bracket bottom.
  • Stevo_666
    Shame everyone who matters think it was red.
    City showing the rest of the premier league how it is done. (Based on scoreline I was out on the bike, odd on this forum I know)
    Chelsea are not daft - they wouldn't appeal if they thought they had no chance. Besides, the only people who matter now are on the FA appeals panel.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Strange ref that Oliver fella. Not saying Tibo didn't deserve a red just that it's odd that the same ref saw nothing at all wrong with this one. Funny old game.

oscar.gif
  • Flâneur
    I agree Stevo, it is a case of what the other variables are, but given the pretence of the new guidance and everyone having each others back it would be odd to overrule it(especially as the red card is a border line case)

anyway how stupid is the new rule of only 2 players instead of 3 being allowed to surround the ref. just do it the rugby way, captain only and mind your manners or have a card.

Anyone want to share if city were that good or just Brom rolled over?
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616

City played very well with Silva and Toure particularly catching the eye. West Brom certainly didn't roll over but, even by Pulis rather honest admission , they did play into City's hands a little by playing two up front. I'm sure will have a better idea after next weekend!
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • Stevo_666
    I agree Stevo, it is a case of what the other variables are, but given the pretence of the new guidance and everyone having each others back it would be odd to overrule it(especially as the red card is a border line case)

anyway how stupid is the new rule of only 2 players instead of 3 being allowed to surround the ref. just do it the rugby way, captain only and mind your manners or have a card.

TBH I don't think they will succeed with the appeal - the key may be whether Cahill had tracked back far enough for it not to be a clear goal-scoring opportunity? Luckily Begovic looked like he was on form based on his time on pitch last Saturday.

As for the rugby rule you mention - agree entirely.

I agree with City Boy that Pulis made a mistake in his tactics last night - and has irreparably damaged his chances of taking over from Pellegrini :)
  • city_boy

I agree with City Boy that Pulis made a mistake in his tactics last night - and has irreparably damaged his chances of taking over from Pellegrini :)

I also think that following his display of integrity and humility he won't be following Moanhino anytime soon either :wink:
  • Stevo_666

I also think that following his display of integrity and humility he won't be following Moanhino anytime soon either :wink:
    I think his display of trophies (if any) at the end of the season may determine whether 'Emperor Palpatine' stays or walks at the end of the season. Unless of course Guardiola comes on the market, in which case he will get dropped like a hot brick - a bit like City recruitment integrity was last season :wink:
  • city_boy

I think his display of trophies (if any) at the end of the season may determine whether 'Emperor Palpatine' stays or walks at the end of the season. Unless of course Guardiola comes on the market, in which case he will get dropped like a hot brick - a bit like City recruitment integrity was last season :wink:

I think you're probably right. It will be interesting to see what happens if he does win a PL or CL (unlikely, I know) title and Pep does become available. Even I'm not sure what I'd wish for in those circumstances if I'm honest!
  • Stevo_666

I think you're probably right. It will be interesting to see what happens if he does win a PL or CL (unlikely, I know) title and Pep does become available. Even I'm not sure what I'd wish for in those circumstances if I'm honest!
    If I were in City's shoes I'd take the hot brick route ! Any team needs a sure fire winner in charge regardless of squad strength - especially in this league. Say what you like about José, if we win the PL again, it probably will be more down to him than anything else :)

Anyway, must remember to select my handbag for later this week :P

As for the CL - can't see any English team getting past the usual European suspects again this season.
  • city_boy
    If I were in City's shoes I'd take the hot brick route ! Any team needs a sure fire winner in charge regardless of squad strength - especially in this league. Say what you like about José, if we win the PL again, it probably will be more down to him than anything else :)

As for the CL - can't see any English team getting past the usual European suspects again this season.

I agree, an oppotunity to take Pep would be too good to miss, and given Pellegrini's age it would be foolish to not look to the future. Even so, it would still leave a bitter taste to get rid of a manager that had just won a title. My guess is the Pellers would be offered another role either within MCFC or, as some City supporters speculate, as manager of New York City.

As for this season, I can honestly say I haven't a clue who will win or even how the top 4 will pan out. This has to be the closest season to call at this stage for a long time.

Off to France tomorrow so will need to try and find a bar on Sunday showing the game and that isn't too full of chavs :wink:
  • pinno
    City's exploits might just have lifted me off the bottom of the bottom bracket bottom.

Yay. 1 game and i'm middle for diddle. At least one 'blues' came good.
  • Stevo_666

I agree, an oppotunity to take Pep would be too good to miss, and given Pellegrini's age it would be foolish to not look to the future. Even so, it would still leave a bitter taste to get rid of a manager that had just won a title. My guess is the Pellers would be offered another role either within MCFC or, as some City supporters speculate, as manager of New York City.

As for this season, I can honestly say I haven't a clue who will win or even how the top 4 will pan out. This has to be the closest season to call at this stage for a long time.

Off to France tomorrow so will need to try and find a bar on Sunday showing the game and that isn't too full of chavs :wink:
    You're right, it will be close this season - and full of twists and turns most likely.

Have a good holiday. As long as you're not staying too close to an airport that Ryanair or Easyjet fly to from Manchester you should be OK. Hang on a sec... :D
  • Stevo_666
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Have to say that Mourinho has definitely proved to the world he is a complete tool by banning the team doctor and physio from the matchday bench. I understand that the ref actually gestured to the bench to bring on their medical staff to attend to Hazard. By all accounts Ms Carneiro is an excellent sports doctor, and I hope she gives Chelski the proverbial Agincourt and finds a new role where her services and integrity will be appreciated. Same goes for John Fearn the physio. Totally unjust treatment by a sulky tw4t whose team didn't win their first home match. Diddums!
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • cornerblock
    You know it's a slow news week when a non story like this makes the main news, radio debate and people posting nonsense. Who honestly thinks this would have made it past Monday as a news item if it had been a pot bellied, flat cap wearing physio that had ran onto the pitch and not a rather attractive female doctor? Mourinho is not the first to be angered my his medical staff. Ferguson fired a team doctor once I believe, as did Guardiola. What would the press do without Jose? :roll:

Anyway the real issue isn't a poor loser (show me good loser and I'll show you a loser) getting annoyed and yelling at his staff, it's this ridiculous law of the game that states that an injured player who has received treatment must then leave the field, while the perpetrators team gain a man advantage! I know it was brought in to prevent players feigning injury and trying to kill time but how can it be right that a player commits a cynical or nasty foul, receives a yellow card and then his team get to play with a man advantage. In cases where a yellow has been issued the offending player should have to leave the field too and only be allowed back on when the injured player is. Seems a simple and fair solution so it obviously has no chance of being implemented by the FA!
  • Stevo_666
    Have to say that Mourinho has definitely proved to the world he is a complete tool by banning the team doctor and physio from the matchday bench. I understand that the ref actually gestured to the bench to bring on their medical staff to attend to Hazard. By all accounts Ms Carneiro is an excellent sports doctor, and I hope she gives Chelski the proverbial Agincourt and finds a new role where her services and integrity will be appreciated. Same goes for John Fearn the physio. Totally unjust treatment by a sulky tw4t whose team didn't win their first home match. Diddums!
    Possibly right but in any event we will enjoy singing 'You're going down' when we play relegationmouth rovers later in the season :wink:
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    Having Chelsea players in my FF team is going to work out well I think. When they eventually start winning games I'll pick up some points, and until then.... Even better! :D
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • city_boy
    Best team (by far) won... despite Cheatski's usual antics!!
    :D:D:D
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552

Nice to see Citee Boy back in the game!!! Shame Stevo aint going to have a dog in the fight for a while.
    Was a bit worried when Jose subbed JT, Had to go and check on the Mrs whereabouts.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    I haven't been around in a while, just dropped by to say that it's great to see Chelsea off to a good start.
  • pinno
    "It's a fake result..." ?!?

What planet is he on? :roll:
  • Stevo_666

Bad day at the office for us when we let City win :(

Mind you Fernandinho should have been sent off for elbowing Costa in the head - according to the MOTD pundits. Would have been a bit different if that had happened...
  • cornerblock
    Fernandinho sent off? No no no, we all know the same rules do not apply when it's a deliberate elbow on Costa. Mind you not the only strange refereeing today, so nice of Lee Mason to give Mertesacker a little heads up today so he could then let Arsene know that it's probably time to take off Coquelin. Such considerate officiating, some teams would have just got a second yellow or a red and have been left with 10 men. And exactly how many fouls does a talented playmaker have to commit to receive a yellow? Two if you're Eden Hazard, but who knows how many more than six it could be if you're David Silva. Funny old game. :D
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    Fernandinho sent off? No no no, we all know the same rules do not apply when it's a deliberate elbow on Costa. Mind you not the only strange refereeing today, so nice of Lee Mason to give Mertesacker a little heads up today so he could then let Arsene know that it's probably time to take off Coquelin. Such considerate officiating, some teams would have just got a second yellow or a red and have been left with 10 men. And exactly how many fouls does a talented playmaker have to commit to receive a yellow? Two if you're Eden Hazard, but who knows how many more than six it could be if you're David Silva. Funny old game. :D

^^Do the same people who sell the scarves at Stamford bridge sell the tin foil hats too? :roll:
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • city_boy
    edited August 2015
    Fernandhino didn't get sent off because he didn't deliberately elbow Costa, simple really! Anyone who understands football and has seen the incident can see that.

Although it's refreshing to see Cheatski fans being honest enough to admit the only chance they have of beating City is by playing against a team of fewer players :wink:

With Cheatski appearing to be on the verge of meltdown their Special Needs One seems to be running out of excuses. I can't wait to hear what he comes out with next :roll:

I agree with him on one thing though...it was a 'fake' result.

It should have been 6 or 7 nil, such was City's dominance! :mrgreen: